Graham Potter | Apparently in "serious" talks with Ajax

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I think Potter is a better manager than he's shown at Chelsea tbh, albeit he is/was very overrated. His problems from his Brighton days, i.e. not being clinical and being sloppy at the back, are happening again.
He's David Moyes 2.0 for me. Good manager at a certain level but certainly not a top level manager. The fact Brighton haven't missed a step since he left says it all.

SAFMUTD

High regarded for Brighton - not to replace a world class one. It'd be the equivalent of City firing Pep for de Zerbi
Come on now Tuchel is not as high regarded as Pep.

Potter was in the conversation for us as well so it's not like it was out of the blue. I wouldn't have sacked Tuchel but after doing it Potter seemed to be one of the best calls.

Suedesi

Come on now Tuchel is not as high regarded as Pep.

Potter was in the conversation for us as well so it's not like it was out of the blue. I wouldn't have sacked Tuchel but after doing it Potter seemed to be one of the best calls.
Tuchel is extremely high regarded- and will probably have his second CL trophy this year.

Potter was flavor of the month only in the mediocre British context - media hyping up English coaches as world class who would never ever get a look for some of Europe's top clubs. Would Potter get a look in at PSG, BVB, Inter, Benfica, Madrid? Let's get real, there's levels to this.

SAFMUTD

Tuchel is extremely high regarded- and will probably have his second CL trophy this year.

Potter was flavor of the month only in the mediocre British context - media hyping up English coaches as world class who would never ever get a look for some of Europe's top clubs. Would Potter get a look in at PSG, BVB, Inter, Benfica, Madrid? Let's get real, there's levels to this.
He wouldn't as English managers don't tend to manage overseas. But that doesn't mean he wasnt a promising manager on the rise.

Tuchel is high regarded but he's not at Pep's level. He's a tier below so it's not a fair scenario comparison.

Suedesi

Pep's overrated. His peak was in 2011 and he's been on a downward trajectory ever since. Managed to win feckall in Europe in over a decade despite unlimited funds and super teams assembled with no expense spared. IDGAF about him cheating his way into the PL titles either.

It was Tuchel who beat Pep's City three times in a row in 2021 and caused Pep to overload his brain and make mistakes after mistakes.

Regardless, this is Graham Potter's thread - who's an absolute nobody at the top level and should have never been given the keys in the first place despite the English media clamoring for an English manager to finally win something. It ain't happening, not with Potter anyways.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I get Cucurella as you have Chilwell, who I think is better anyway but the Reece James situation is strange. James at RWB is a goal threat and a massive creative force. Putting him at RCB in an emergency or due to an injury crisis is one thing but to play him as RCB with Chalobah and the other CB you signed on the bench with RLC as RWB just makes no sense to me.

Struggling for goals and having one of your best attacking player further back is poor.
Absolutely. The annoying thing about this as well is that, when James and Chilwell were both out injured, every fan, including fans of other clubs, could see Chelsea lacked that width and goal threat from both full backs.

Now they’re back and James is being played as part of a back three is beyond clueless.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Absolutely. The annoying thing about this as well is that, when James and Chilwell were both out injured, every fan, including fans of other clubs, could see Chelsea lacked that width and goal threat from both full backs.

Now they’re back and James is being played as part of a back three is beyond clueless.
Tuchel played him there many times as part of specific game plans. I’d have just played Chalobah and kept James RWB but there is an argument that he’s the best RCB we have after Fofana.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Tuchel played him there many times as part of specific game plans. I’d have just played Chalobah and kept James RWB but there is an argument that he’s the best RCB we have after Fofana.
Playing him there and nullifying the right hand side is lunacy. RLC is dreadful now in his actual position left alone playing right wing back. Shame as he was one player I thought would be seriously top class when he came through.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Playing a fullback as outside CB in a back three isn't exactly an alien thing, far from it.

And that's before i mention Reece exploded into being our best prospect whole playing in that very position.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Playing him there and nullifying the right hand side is lunacy. RLC is dreadful now in his actual position left alone playing right wing back. Shame as he was one player I thought would be seriously top class when he came through.
Loftus-Cheek is fine, he’s a good utility player. We created enough chances to win the game. James lining up at RCB from time to time isn’t a problem at all.

Mr. Robot

Stalking me around the forum with your silly bad faith arguments is not a good look bro.
I’m not your bro. And I’m not stalking you, you stick out like a sore thumb with your ridiculous takes.

The other Chelsea fans here are ok, to be fair.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Playing a fullback as outside CB in a back three isn't exactly an alien thing, far from it.

And that's before i mention Reece exploded into being our best prospect whole playing in that very position.
He didn’t play a fullback, he played two fullbacks in a back 3.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Loftus-Cheek is fine, he’s a good utility player. We created enough chances to win the game. James lining up at RCB from time to time isn’t a problem at all.
In what planet is RLC fine?

He has done nothing for years. I’m not even sure if he’s a good squad player anymore and I’m wondering if injuries have taken a toll or if he’s just stagnated and never lived up to his potential.

justsomebloke

Plus Emery looks cool in a suit and expensive black loafers, whereas Potter looks like a farmer who’s taking part in a fun run arranged by Trivago.

They lost by 2 goals, and failed to score against a Villa side who aren’t hard to score against.

Potter’s Chelsea are shipping goals and can’t score.
So? Still nothing wrong with what Potter says in that tweet.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I felt the remainder of the season was a free hit for Potter, a chance to steady the ship, get some results and implement his own starting 11 and his own style.

He doesn’t know his best 11, doesn’t seem to know his own style and continuously plays players out of position. It is like Potter has never seen any of the players actually play before which is seriously worrying.

I’m on the fence now. I don’t like sacking managers so soon but if he was sacked it would be justified. He has shown absolutely nothing promising.

His saving grace will be the UCL game. I don’t think he gets sacked before that.

Telsim

Setting aside the windfall, one of the worst managerial career choices I've seen.

cyberman

My prediction of the replacement going before the end of the season as well is hanging on in there

ti vu

Oh no. The 10th time this season we have to deal with new manager bounce.

TheReligion

Abusive
Wonder what pay off he’s getting?

It cost over £20m to bring him in and his salary was huge. Then all his staff.

What a mess.