Graham Potter | Apparently in "serious" talks with Ajax

UpWithRivers

Why is it that footballers contracts are sacrosanct and players are forced to stay or forced to go on strike but when it comes to managers its fair game. Its a really shitty thing to do to Brighton both from Chelsea and from Potter. Do it summer not 6 games in. It really fks with their season and no one seems to care. Its not like Brighton will get a sht load of cash or anything.

Oluwaplumpie

Why is it that footballers contracts are sacrosanct and players are forced to stay or forced to go on strike but when it comes to managers its fair game. Its a really shitty thing to do to Brighton both from Chelsea and from Potter. Do it summer not 6 games in. It really fks with their season and no one seems to care. Its not like Brighton will get a sht load of cash or anything.
I hear he has a release clause in his contract.

That makes him fair game.

macheda14

Because Managers can get sacked at the drop of a hat, their contracts are far less stable. He also had a release clause.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Because managers don’t earn as much as players and it’s far easier to buy out their contracts.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Brighton agreed a release clause in his contract and they will get a shit load of cash.

I'll tell you who didn't get a shitload of cash, Swansea a few years ago when Brighton pinched Graham Potter from them. The football world is pretty ruthless but Brighton did it to Swansea and now it's happening to them.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Is it only shitty because it’s Chelsea?

You have a British manager everyone wanted to be given a chance at a big job joining one of the most hated teams in the league. So now people don’t want it to happen. Utterly bizarre. Had we gone for Zidane, Pochettino or a young hip up and coming foreign manager there would be a small section of people saying we should have looked at a Potter. So it looks to me like Chelsea can’t actually win in the eyes of the public.

Will be interesting to see peoples opinion of Potter plummet just because he is at Chelsea, if the deal gets finalized.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Brighton agreed a release clause in his contract and they will get a shit load of cash.

I'll tell you who didn't get a shitload of cash, Swansea a few years ago when Brighton pinched Graham Potter from them. The football world is pretty ruthless but Brighton did it to Swansea and now it's happening to them.
That's a lie, Swansea got paid handsomely for Potter.
Plus wasn't that done post season?

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
They got £3 mil. Brighton are getting £16 mil. Bit of a difference!
Complete tangent here, but managers are ridiculously undervalued. They'd be getting upwards of £40m for a guy like Caicedo, but the architect of their success leaves the club for £16m, roughly one Neco Williams worth of on field performance

Zed 101

I fear for Brighton, I wish Potter luck but also want Chelsea to tank

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
They got £3 mil. Brighton are getting £16 mil. Bit of a difference!
There's also a difference in terms of Potters stature and standing within the game now.

Similar to Kante going to Leicester for £5m and being sold to Chelsea for £32m a few years later!

It's all relative.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
He'll be gone inside 2 years. Can see his temptation but looks on verge of great season with Brighton then go somewhere he can get a summer and pre season
No one would turn down a new job offer with a massive pay jump. Football managers aren't robots. Just like us, they'd take the job and try to do their best.

Oddboy

Gut feeling is that it's going to be a disaster. Hope for his sake that it isn't, but Chelsea are mental.

pseudo_canadian

Pretty sure Brighton had a £16M release clause on Potter’s contract. They’ll be fine.

Santoryo

ripping the reward

You have a British manager everyone wanted to be given a chance at a big job joining one of the most hated teams in the league. So now people don’t want it to happen. Utterly bizarre. Had we gone for Zidane, Pochettino or a young hip up and coming foreign manager there would be a small section of people saying we should have looked at a Potter. So it looks to me like Chelsea can’t actually win in the eyes of the public.

Will be interesting to see peoples opinion of Potter plummet just because he is at Chelsea, if the deal gets finalized.
Reminds me of how opinions of Klopp took a massive nose dive after he joined Liverpool. The man used to be the Caf darlingest of all darlings until he joined them then people started pretending he was a fraud(before he won the CL with Liverpool) and they couldn't stand him opening his mouth anymore. :lol:

TheReligion

Abusive

:lol:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

£16m. It's going to be by far the largest fee ever paid for a manager I think but still feels like peanuts when you compare this to the fees that footballers command.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I think he'll do really well. If Liverpool continue their slump they can get second place.

He's a really good manager, glad he's getting the step up he deserves.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Who else has been interviewed for the job? You’ve literally hired Potter within 24 hours of sacking Tuchel :lol:
I think you are confusing the type of job someone applies for as opposed to someone that’s been headhunted

Yes some clubs interview several individuals some don’t. But even then you have absolutely no idea who they did and did not talk to you I suspect that like most clubs they will have had informal discussions with either their choices or their representatives before the incumbent was relieved of his duties

I suspect these very rich and successful businessman were working to a process that they agreed and were happy with and the fact they have now appointed Potter it’s all academic

TheReligion

Abusive
I think you are confusing the type of job someone applies for as opposed to someone that’s been headhunted

Yes some clubs interview several individuals some don’t. But even then you have absolutely no idea who they did and did not talk to you I suspect that like most clubs they will have had informal discussions with either their choices or their representatives before the incumbent was relieved of his duties

I suspect these very rich and successful businessman were working to a process that they agreed and were happy with and the fact they have now appointed Potter it’s all academic
What does being a very rich and successful businessman have to do with the process of hiring a football manager?

Strootman's Finger

Poor Poch, always second choice.
Good I am glad. There is a weird phenomena in football where once someone manages a top club, no matter how poor a job they did, they seem to the go on a never ending streak of good jobs, regardless of how they perform in any of those jobs. Poch did good at Spurs, at PSG he was exposed as not good enough for that level. And it seems everyone has realized this, no one wants to touch him with a 10 foot poll and you will now occasionally read articles about how he isn't good enough. In the past, once he had that PSG job he was probably pretty much guaranteed Chelsea, Real Madrid, Inter Milan, etc, etc. at some point.