Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

largelyworried

He was massively overperforming at Brighton. He deserved a chance at a bigger club. His main issue at Chelsea is he won't get time. They will have to perform, or he'll be shipped out quick.
This really isn't the case. Under Chris Houghton they finished 15th and 17th. Under Potter they finished 15th, 16th then 9th. So two seasons of performing at the exact same level as before he joined, then one season that was a bit better, albeit they were still strictly midtable, level on points with Wolves (ahead on GD). They may have been aesthetically pleasing to some, but their overall performance under Potter wasnt exactly wildly better than expected.

phelans shorts

This really isn't the case. Under Chris Houghton they finished 15th and 17th. Under Potter they finished 15th, 16th then 9th. So two seasons of performing at the exact same level as before he joined, then one season that was a bit better, albeit they were still strictly midtable, level on points with Wolves (ahead on GD). They may have been aesthetically pleasing to some, but their overall performance under Potter wasnt exactly wildly better than expected.
and they’ve picked up exactly where they left off with De Zerbi, who whilst good was not on any top sides lists of potential managers

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They were under performing position wise versus how they played at Brighton. That's probably what he meant.
They always seemed to control games to a level a Brighton team shouldn't but had no finishers.

That seemed to have been put right this season.

AFC NimbleThumb

He didn't have preseason with Chelsea, EtH had preseason with our team. Potter's first few results were a draw and a win or something like that, ten Hag started losing 2-1 to Brighton at home and then 4-0 away to Brentford. Us losing 4-0 in 2nd match of new season looked like same old stuff from last season (Watford, Brighton, City, Liverpool etc).

But main thing to me: if EtH is real deal, he'll most probably make it at United. If Potter isn't, he won't make it at Chelsea. Worrying about others' narratives shouldn't faze us much. Who cares.
How did De Zerbi’s pre-season go at Brighton again? You seem intent on hinging this discussion on ‘pre-season’ as if that is some guarantee of success. Tuchel won a UCL without having had one with Chelsea.

Saying he’s sent his team out poorly for a few games isn’t a narrative, it’s a fact. I’ve already said Potter may well go on to be a success so I’m not sure what you’re so hung up about.

BorisManUtd

They should have finished much, much higher in Potter's 2nd season, amount of times they had better xG than opponent but lost/drew the game was ridiculous.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
So he changes his formation depending on who’s available and his opponents. Like 99% of managers in football history.

Got it.
If that’s your takeaway, fine. But no. Not at all.

There’s literally zero cost to accepting new ideas and information.

New shit comes along all the time. Wilder at Sheffield United and his centre back approach, the reinvention of the sweeper : first that player was a centre back, then a DM as centre halves split, then a goalkeeper.

Can you honestly not see that Potter is doing something different to many other coaches? I’m not advocating for it. I’m not trying to tell you it’s brilliant. I’m just looking at what most people can also see, listening to well respected voices in the game tell me about it, and learning.

I mean… pretend it’s not happening if you like. But… why?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Potter may or not pay off for us but saying him and Hughton got similar results is like saying Benitez and Bruce did at Newcastle.

Technically true but it just lacks so much context and nuance.

colombianmancunian

I really like Potter, plays good progressive football, multi tactics in 90 mind, develops players (what he has done with Welbeck is incredible) good relationships and has some European experience, even if it was in the Nordics. As much as I despise Chelsea, I hope he does alright and one day replaces Southgate as England's manager.
The rumor says after Chelsea, he will go back to his roots at Gryffindor. He also has to represent them at the triwizard tourney in a few years.

mav_9me

Didn't read thru the thread but that starting line up was bonkers. So aggressive. That too away. Extremely surprised.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Think people are finally starting to see Potter sides' inability to score enough goals as an actual byproduct of some of his flaws as a manager, not just 'Brighton don't have good forwards'.

No matter who they signed, Brighton almost always underperformed their xG under him. I think Chelsea will be the same.

TheReligion

Abusive
Problem is the Chelsea squad in key areas largely has a short term element to it.

Thiago Silva is 38 so as brilliant as he still is in certain parts he's not a long term solution and nor is Kouliably really. Fofana is but he's been injured for last few weeks so hasn't played under Potter much, same for Reece James.

Midfield is in transition with Kante and Jorginho probably both going to move on soon and someone like Conor Gallagher yet to prove he can play effectively at Chelsea's level.

And upfront because of Chelsea botching the Lukaku return and Werner they had to make short term move just to get a number 9 in their squad. Aubameyang isn't really a Potter forward in any respect as he's a box player these days and Potter had at Brighton CFs who could move around the pitch and create space.

It's unconvincing domestically but he needs a couple of transfer windows to let go of some of the old guard and freshen up some areas so 12 months time will be a true judge of where he's guiding Chelsea.
Basically you’re saying they are going to have to spend a phenomenal amount of money? Again?

arnie_ni

Basically you’re saying they are going to have to spend a phenomenal amount of money? Again?
I mean, so are we.

We might need a keeper, a right back, a striker, someone beside casemiro, a maybe another winger and back up cb or 2 all in the next year or two.

In this day and age we can't really criticise anyone for spending I don't think (apart from city who aren't spending their own money)

TheReligion

Abusive
I mean, so are we.

We might need a keeper, a right back, a striker, someone beside casemiro, a maybe another winger and back up cb or 2 all in the next year or two.

In this day and age we can't really criticise anyone for spending I don't think (apart from city who aren't spending their own money)
Well Chelsea have just spent the highest amount in the window only to change the manager they bought the players for when the window closed..

They have also sold all their talented youth players only to replace them with the likes of Lukaku for £100m.

When you look at the last few years of operating, right up to this summer, it’s been an absolute shambles.

Of course United need to back Ten Hag but what we are doing (for once) looks far more competent.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
They've had It coming for sometime, they haven't been playing great since Potter took over but yet somehow they've picked up wins or a point from games they've been outplayed (Southampton, Aston Villa, Crystal Palace, Man Utd) this are games they should have actually lost but somehow they didn't. Tbh Their football in the last weeks have been dreadful and have looked nothing good, so if you're surprised they've lost by four it means you haven't been watching them.

Kaos

The Brighton fans booing him is just mental.
Is it though? You can understand why Potter made the move for his career, but he still left them in the middle of the campaign and took the entire coaching setup with him. They should rightly be angry at him. I don't blame him but I also don't blame the fans for their disdain.

Ace of Spades

I think he will be fine, just needs time. No idea if he gets that, as they look like they may not make top 4 this season.

RopersReturn

Either way it’s a win win situation for Potter.
Gets sacked from Chelsea and receives a big payoff, Southgate resigns following elimination in the group stages and the FA offer him the England job.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
They've had It coming for sometime, they haven't been playing great since Potter took over but yet somehow they've picked up wins or a point from games they've been outplayed (Southampton, Aston Villa, Crystal Palace, Man Utd) this are games they should have actually lost but somehow they didn't. Tbh Their football in the last weeks have been dreadful and have looked nothing good, so if you're surprised they've lost by four it means you haven't been watching them.
Southampton was Tuchel’s Chelsea. Palace absolutely didn’t outplay Chelsea by any measure and the United game was even for like 60-65 minutes.

You’re right about the Villa game though, but there’s also the CL games in which Chelsea have played very well in that can’t be left out of the narrative.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I said it a few weeks ago and I’ll say it again… I’ve not been impressed by potters Chelsea. There not playing great football they’ve just been lucky with results. We dominated them at Stamford bridge which we’ve never done before. I can see the players turning on him quickly because he ain’t a well know or world class manager.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Is it though? You can understand why Potter made the move for his career, but he still left them in the middle of the campaign and took the entire coaching setup with him. They should rightly be angry at him. I don't blame him but I also don't blame the fans for their disdain.
Chelsea have essentially taken Potter and most of his back room staff. On top of that Brighton’s recruitment department has been gutted with the two most senior guys being poached by Chelsea. Potter not having a say in those moves is rather unlikely, so can understand their fans ill feeling towards him despite the good times they enjoyed with him.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Potter is not the finished product yet and pressure at Chelsea (aka: win win win) is much higher than Brighton, of course. The smart option is to let him work and see what happens, how he reacts and what it takes for him to make the next step. Being a very smart man, he will probably find a way like he did already in the past.

IrishRedDevil

Boring little man.

In his interview last night, he was asked about the boos from the crowd. He said he has nothing to say sorry about and that he left a good team behind. Somehow trying to take credit for the team that just smashed him 4-1.

Mike Smalling

Is there any reason to think Potter won't be chewed up and spat out by the Chelsea system within 2 years like every other manager?

TheReligion

Abusive
Is there any reason to think Potter won't be chewed up and spat out by the Chelsea system within 2 years like every other manager?
I don’t think they can afford to do that. They need to stick with him and back him for as long as it takes. If they do I think it will pay off but as at any big club you still need to get results during this period as a few seasons without CL can really hurt.

cyberman

I don’t think they can afford to do that. They need to stick with him and back him for as long as it takes. If they do I think it will pay off but as at any big club you still need to get results during this period as a few seasons without CL can really hurt.
Any danger of not getting CL and he’s gone before the end of the season. Not saying it’s right but they’re already buying players for next summer so no CL would be disastrous for all involved. Still think they will make it since I don’t rate Spurs or Liverpool highly

Lecland07

Think people are finally starting to see Potter sides' inability to score enough goals as an actual byproduct of some of his flaws as a manager, not just 'Brighton don't have good forwards'.

No matter who they signed, Brighton almost always underperformed their xG under him. I think Chelsea will be the same.
Very much jumping the gun - he has actually improved Chelsea's goals per game from under Tuchel.

They barely signed any strikers under Potter at Brighton, which is a failure of the club (it was certainly something that Potter wanted). Welbeck has never been prolific; Maupay is hardly tearing it up at Everton - who else? Undav? He has 0 goal so far, and Potter didn't even have him for very long to see if he will turn out any good.

Lecland07

Boring little man.

In his interview last night, he was asked about the boos from the crowd. He said he has nothing to say sorry about and that he left a good team behind. Somehow trying to take credit for the team that just smashed him 4-1.
Don't see what the issue is. He did leave behind a very good side that was very well drilled. Very odd for Brighton fans to boo; did they really expect him to turn down Chelsea? You would be an absolute idiot to turn down such an opportunity. Sometimes football fans can just be a bit thick.

mctrials23

I think hes a great manager but I don't know how well his transition to a big club is going to work out. It sounded like he was all about team spirit and buy in from the players at Brighton and some of the stuff he did probably wouldn't fly with players earning £200k/week who think they are gods gift.

The booing is utterly bizarre as well. I think I saw a comment on the BBC from a Brighton fan who seemed to have almost no respect for what he did there. So strange.

cyberman

Don't see what the issue is. He did leave behind a very good side that was very well drilled. Very odd for Brighton fans to boo; did they really expect him to turn down Chelsea? You would be an absolute idiot to turn down such an opportunity. Sometimes football fans can just be a bit thick.
I think it’s the fact Chelsea are after their higher ups as well, trying to gut the club basically

Mike Smalling

If he can't get things going in 2 years then he probably should get the boot.
Yeah, that would be fair I guess.

It will be rather interesting over the next 4-5 seasons, because with Newcastle's new money and Arsenal's improvement there will arguably be 7 clubs that all feel they should be getting a place in the top four, as a minimum. Will probably lead to a fair bit of manager turnover.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Palace absolutely didn’t outplay Chelsea by any measure
I swear everytime we beat a lesser side with a late goal it's assumed we we're outplayed and got lucky when 9 times out of 10 it couldn't be further from the truth.

Mr. Robot

I love Chelsea under Ted B. Reminds of me Chelsea before Roman.

Its all downhill from here.

cyberman

I swear everytime we beat a lesser side with a late goal it's assumed we we're outplayed and got lucky when 9 times out of 10 it couldn't be further from the truth.
You were a goal down and Silva should have seen red.
How is that not lucky?