Gaming Gran Turismo 5

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I have just downloaded the trailer via the PSN network and all i can say is WOW!

The graphics look absolutely stunning.

I seriously cannot wait to play this especially when you consider that Prologue is at heart, just a fancy dressed up demo.

God only knows what the full game is going to be like come the end of '08 beginning of '09!

This along with Metal gear Solid really could swing the console battle in the favour of the PS3.

1080P of pure joy! Bring it on Sony.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Haven't played GT in a few years now, used to love the game. I'll download the prologue and see what its like.

WeasteDevil

Haven't played GT in a few years now, used to love the game. I'll download the prologue and see what its like.
You can't! The demo was on the Japanese PSN only, and I for the life of me couldn't work out how to even get an account. The demo has now gone, and it's only a game to buy over the Japanese PSN.

Give it to us already!

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Eh up. If it's not available to download, then how did Gareth get it? I'm not talking about the demo Weaste, I just want to see the trailer he is talking about, unless that's been taken down as well?

WeasteDevil

Eh up. If it's not available to download, then how did Gareth get it? I'm not talking about the demo Weaste, I just want to see the trailer he is talking about, unless that's been taken down as well?
The trailer. Oh, I've had that for a while, it's the opening sequence of the Prologue game. I'll get the high quality DivX link for you. Wait a mo!

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Nice one Weaste, I'll give that a look now.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
That does look amazing. Whens it out then?

WeasteDevil

That does look amazing. Whens it out then?
They say Q1 2008 for Europe and North America. The Japanese have had it for almost two months or more.

GT5 itself, god knows. What they seem to be doing is using the Prologue as a massive beta-test. They apparently are always releasing updates for it as they slowly get towards the final build that will be GT5.

Some people outside of Japan have bought it from the Japanese PSN and play it and post vids on YouTube. I'll try and find a few good ones.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
They say Q1 2008 for Europe and North America. The Japanese have had it for almost two months or more.

GT5 itself, god knows. What they seem to be doing is using the Prologue as a massive beta-test. They apparently are always releasing updates for it as they slowly get towards the final build that will be GT5.

Some people outside of Japan have bought it from the Japanese PSN and play it and post vids on YouTube. I'll try and find a few good ones.
Ah cheers for that.

That's a bit annoying, why release it over there early and not here?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Wow some of those pictures just look like real life, will you be able to go online with the prologue?
These are the full details:

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue™ line-up now confirmed

71 of the hottest vehicles make the PLAYSTATION®3 starting grid

o Ferrari returns this March with four stunning cars
o Features cars from US, Japan, Germany, France, Italy and Great Britain
o Online racing, Hi-Def graphics, new physics engine and even a TV channel

Love Ferrari, Nissan, Honda, Dodge, BMW, Aston Martin, Subaru and Lotus? You’ll love Gran Turismo 5 Prologue™ – the prequel title showcasing the forthcoming Gran Turismo 5 for PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™). Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is the latest instalment of one of the most successful global gaming franchises of the last ten years – renowned for its realism, quality of design and in-car physics technology – now, with the power of PS3 behind it, it’s going from strength to strength. The 71-car-strong vehicle list is now confirmed – here are a few highlights of what you’ll be able to race this March:

o Audi R8 4.2 FSI R Tronic

o BMW M3

o Dodge VIPER GTS

o Ferrari 599

o Honda INTEGRA TYPE R (DC5)

o Lotus Elise 111R

o Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG '02

o Nissan GT-R

o Aston Martin DB9 Coupe

o Subaru IMPREZA WRX STI

And there’s more – much more. We’re talking a grand total of 71 of the hottest vehicles from the world’s most iconic manufacturers – all officially licensed and all rendered in High Definition. The game features six seriously realistic, tracks all drivable in two layouts. There’s also all-new driving physics for the most lifelike driving experience ever and new, improved opponent artificial intelligence for the toughest race challenge yet. And, for the first ever time in the franchise, there’s online multiplayer - up to 16 players will be able to go head-to-head on PLAYSTATION®Network (PSN). Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is available both on Blu-ray disc and as a download from PSN this March.

Here’s a quick overview of the key features you’ll get with Gran Turismo 5 Prologue:

Key Features:

* The first ever Gran Turismo title with online racing: drive online against up to 16 other Gran Turismo aces
* Race a total of 71 stunning cars:
* Race the Eiger Nordwand, Daytona International Speedway, the London City Track, Fuji Speedway, Suzuka and the High Speed Ring - then race them all in alternative layouts
* All-new physics engine means true next-generation vehicle handling
* All-new and improved opponent AI for a nail-biting race experience
* Access to Gran Turismo TV : a world of great motoring TV programming online including the BBCs Top Gear
* In-game museum featuring the history and heritage of the top car manufacturers
* My Garage - a personalised homepage feature with calendar, clock and map & weather of major race circuits worldwide
* Quick Tune facility allows you to adjust power, tyres, suspension and more
* All in stunning High Definition at 1080p

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Additional Features for Europe:

* Drift Mode – The player’s drifting technique is measured based on drift angles, racing lines, and speeds within evaluation zones located at various turns on the course.
* In Depth Car Tuning – Players have the ability to adjust the vehicle’s performance, including power, tyres, suspension and the ability for quick tuning whilst racing.
* Two-player Split Screen Racing – Allows players to race head-to-head offline.
* New Race Events – Online racing fans can join in on a new set of scheduled events and time trials.

To find out more, visit www.granturismoworld.com.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Full Vehicle List:

Lexus IS F '07
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec II Nur '02
Nissan Fairlady Z Version S '07
Nissan Skyline Sedan 350GT Type SP '06
Nissan Skyline Coupe Concept '07
Nissan Skyline Coupe 370GT Type SP '07
Nissan Skyline Coupe (V36) Tuned Car
Nissan GT-R Proto '05
Nissan GT-R '07
Honda Integra TYPE R '04
Honda NSX Type R '02
Acura NSX '91
Mazda Atenza Sport (2007 Tokyo Motor Show reference exhibit)
Mazda RX-8 Type S '03
Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A (FD)
Mazda RX-7 (FD) Special Tuned Car
Subaru Impreza WRX STI (18inch BBS Wheel Option) '07
Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STI spec C Type RA '05
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR '05
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR Premium Package '07
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR Tuned Car
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR Tuned Car
Suzuki Cappuccino '95
Suzuki Swift Sport '07
Suzuki Cervo SR '07
Suzuki Cappuccino Tuned Car
Suzuki Swift Sport Tuned Car
Daihatsu Copen Active Top '02
Daihatsu OFC-1 '07
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 '06
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C6) Tuned Car
Dodge Viper GTS '02
Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe '06
Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe Tuned Car
Ford Mustang V8 GT Coupe Premium '07
Ford GT '05
Ford Focus ST '06
Ford GT Tuned Car
Audi R8 4.2 FSI R tronic '07
Audi TT Coupe 3.2 quattro '07
BMW Z4 '03
BMW 135i Coupe '07
BMW M3 Coupe '07
BMW 135tii '08
Mini Cooper-S '06
Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG '02
Volkswagen Golf GTI '01
Volkswagen Golf V GTI '05
Alfa Romeo 147 TI 2.0 TWIN SPARK '06
Alfa Romeo Brera Sky Window 3.2 JTS Q4 '06
Ferrari 599 '06
Ferrari F430 '06
Ferrari 512BB '76
Ferrari F40 '92
Lancia Delta HF Integrale Evoluzione '91
Citroen C4 Coupe 2.0VTS '06
Renault Clio Renault Sport V6 24V '00
Clio Renault Sport V6 24V Tuned Car
Aston Martin DB9 Coupe '06
Jaguar XK Coupe '06
Lotus Elise 111R '04
Lotus Elise '96
Lotus Elise 111R Tuned Car
Lotus Elise Tuned Car
TVR Tuscan Speed 6 '00
TVR Tamora '02
Art Morrison Corvette'60
Amuse/Opera Performance Gran Turismo 350Z RS
Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo
Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R N1 base '06
Blitz Dunlop ER34 '07

rotherham_red

These are the full details:

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue™ line-up now confirmed

71 of the hottest vehicles make the PLAYSTATION®3 starting grid

o Ferrari returns this March with four stunning cars
o Features cars from US, Japan, Germany, France, Italy and Great Britain
o Online racing, Hi-Def graphics, new physics engine and even a TV channel

Love Ferrari, Nissan, Honda, Dodge, BMW, Aston Martin, Subaru and Lotus? You’ll love Gran Turismo 5 Prologue™ – the prequel title showcasing the forthcoming Gran Turismo 5 for PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™). Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is the latest instalment of one of the most successful global gaming franchises of the last ten years – renowned for its realism, quality of design and in-car physics technology – now, with the power of PS3 behind it, it’s going from strength to strength. The 71-car-strong vehicle list is now confirmed – here are a few highlights of what you’ll be able to race this March:

o Audi R8 4.2 FSI R Tronic

o BMW M3

o Dodge VIPER GTS

o Ferrari 599

o Honda INTEGRA TYPE R (DC5)

o Lotus Elise 111R

o Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG '02

o Nissan GT-R

o Aston Martin DB9 Coupe

o Subaru IMPREZA WRX STI

And there’s more – much more. We’re talking a grand total of 71 of the hottest vehicles from the world’s most iconic manufacturers – all officially licensed and all rendered in High Definition. The game features six seriously realistic, tracks all drivable in two layouts. There’s also all-new driving physics for the most lifelike driving experience ever and new, improved opponent artificial intelligence for the toughest race challenge yet. And, for the first ever time in the franchise, there’s online multiplayer - up to 16 players will be able to go head-to-head on PLAYSTATION®Network (PSN). Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is available both on Blu-ray disc and as a download from PSN this March.

Here’s a quick overview of the key features you’ll get with Gran Turismo 5 Prologue:

Key Features:

* The first ever Gran Turismo title with online racing: drive online against up to 16 other Gran Turismo aces
* Race a total of 71 stunning cars:
* Race the Eiger Nordwand, Daytona International Speedway, the London City Track, Fuji Speedway, Suzuka and the High Speed Ring - then race them all in alternative layouts
* All-new physics engine means true next-generation vehicle handling
* All-new and improved opponent AI for a nail-biting race experience
* Access to Gran Turismo TV : a world of great motoring TV programming online including the BBCs Top Gear
* In-game museum featuring the history and heritage of the top car manufacturers
* My Garage - a personalised homepage feature with calendar, clock and map & weather of major race circuits worldwide
* Quick Tune facility allows you to adjust power, tyres, suspension and more
* All in stunning High Definition at 1080p

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Additional Features for Europe:

* Drift Mode – The player’s drifting technique is measured based on drift angles, racing lines, and speeds within evaluation zones located at various turns on the course.
* In Depth Car Tuning – Players have the ability to adjust the vehicle’s performance, including power, tyres, suspension and the ability for quick tuning whilst racing.
* Two-player Split Screen Racing – Allows players to race head-to-head offline.
* New Race Events – Online racing fans can join in on a new set of scheduled events and time trials.

To find out more, visit www.granturismoworld.com.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Full Vehicle List:

Lexus IS F '07
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec II Nur '02
Nissan Fairlady Z Version S '07
Nissan Skyline Sedan 350GT Type SP '06
Nissan Skyline Coupe Concept '07
Nissan Skyline Coupe 370GT Type SP '07
Nissan Skyline Coupe (V36) Tuned Car
Nissan GT-R Proto '05
Nissan GT-R '07
Honda Integra TYPE R '04
Honda NSX Type R '02
Acura NSX '91
Mazda Atenza Sport (2007 Tokyo Motor Show reference exhibit)
Mazda RX-8 Type S '03
Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A (FD)
Mazda RX-7 (FD) Special Tuned Car
Subaru Impreza WRX STI (18inch BBS Wheel Option) '07
Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STI spec C Type RA '05
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR '05
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR Premium Package '07
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR Tuned Car
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR Tuned Car
Suzuki Cappuccino '95
Suzuki Swift Sport '07
Suzuki Cervo SR '07
Suzuki Cappuccino Tuned Car
Suzuki Swift Sport Tuned Car
Daihatsu Copen Active Top '02
Daihatsu OFC-1 '07
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 '06
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C6) Tuned Car
Dodge Viper GTS '02
Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe '06
Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe Tuned Car
Ford Mustang V8 GT Coupe Premium '07
Ford GT '05
Ford Focus ST '06
Ford GT Tuned Car
Audi R8 4.2 FSI R tronic '07
Audi TT Coupe 3.2 quattro '07
BMW Z4 '03
BMW 135i Coupe '07
BMW M3 Coupe '07
BMW 135tii '08
Mini Cooper-S '06
Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG '02
Volkswagen Golf GTI '01
Volkswagen Golf V GTI '05
Alfa Romeo 147 TI 2.0 TWIN SPARK '06
Alfa Romeo Brera Sky Window 3.2 JTS Q4 '06
Ferrari 599 '06
Ferrari F430 '06
Ferrari 512BB '76
Ferrari F40 '92
Lancia Delta HF Integrale Evoluzione '91
Citroen C4 Coupe 2.0VTS '06
Renault Clio Renault Sport V6 24V '00
Clio Renault Sport V6 24V Tuned Car
Aston Martin DB9 Coupe '06
Jaguar XK Coupe '06
Lotus Elise 111R '04
Lotus Elise '96
Lotus Elise 111R Tuned Car
Lotus Elise Tuned Car
TVR Tuscan Speed 6 '00
TVR Tamora '02
Art Morrison Corvette'60
Amuse/Opera Performance Gran Turismo 350Z RS
Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo
Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R N1 base '06
Blitz Dunlop ER34 '07
I think I just prematurely ejaculated when I saw that...

WeasteDevil

No problem, we'll get a Caf league going, should be fun!
I don't mind that, looking forward to it, as long as there are a few rules. I'm not playing on my controller whilst some smart alec uses a wheel, gearstick, and pedals. Although it seems that the Japanese version did not allow this type of thing, and online racing was totally random. It is Prologue after all, and we'll probably have to wait for a patch or GT5 proper before you can make invited leagues.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
The only annoying thing is that the cars never get damaged. I dont even think they are gonna change the colour and get at least dirty. So while it's very pretty how nice and shiny they look, I think Polyphony, or whoever responsible, should have negotiated with the car companies that gave the license to the game makers to include the damage modus. That would make it even more visually realistic. Also I'm not sure if the race tracks will be dirty or dusty... if you compare any track, for example Laguna Seca, on the X-Box game FORZA with the GT Laguna Seca, the difference is just enormous.

WeasteDevil

They will not do any damage at all IMO unless they can do it properly (and probably only on racing models), Forza 2 has gimped damage, it's all fur coat and no knickers. There are serious gameplay issues in doing any damage more than visual in any case, but that could spawn a rather long discussion.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
They will not do any damage at all IMO unless they can do it properly (and probably only on racing models), Forza 2 has gimped damage, it's all fur coat and no knickers. There are serious gameplay issues in doing any damage more than visual at all, but that could spawn a rather long discussion.
It is a bit silly in Forza for example if you have a minor incident the damage is not only cosmetic but the car will pull to the left for example etc. But these are things that you can switch off so that the crashes basically have no influence on the gameplay, which is a cool option. I remember playing F1 years ago and you could select 'random engine defect' and stuff like that which would obviously influence the whole race once your engine blows up. But Im thinking more about not big dents which would deform the look of the car, just some scratches, on the sides, the rims, minor screen cracks etc, that could have been a compromise at least.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Stunning!

Anyone know if Sony are going to release an official steering wheel & pedal set for GT5 ?

WeasteDevil

But Im thinking more about not big dents which would deform the look of the car, just some scratches, on the sides, the rims, minor screen cracks etc, that could have been a compromise at least.
And you have to virtually pay up to get them fixed? I'm sure that would be quite easy for them to do, along with things like tyre marks. It depends on what they feel are their priorities I suppose. I was never expecting split screen play for example, even for GT5 proper. The full GT is still probably a year away, so they have plenty of time. I'd like to see full weather effects and proper physics simulation on the cars handling depending upon what they are.

WeasteDevil

Some UK specific details:

Gran Turismo online - featuring online races and BBC Top Gear content Sony Computer Entertainment UK has today announced the launch of GT5 Prologue for PlayStation®3. The release marks the 10th anniversary of the Gran Turismo® series. Widely acknowledged as the most realistic of driving games, Gran Turismo has sold almost 50 million copies worldwide and picked up a Bafta award to make it the world’s most successful gaming franchise. Now backed by the graphical power of PlayStation 3, the stunning High Definition format of GT5 Prologue is poised once again to set a new bench mark for driving simulators. GT5 Prologue will be available from 28 March for the suggested retail price of £24.99, available both on Blu-ray disc and as a download from PLAYSTATION®Network (PSN). By popular demand a London track will be making its Gran Turismo debut.

The route travels past famous landmarks such as Piccadilly Circus, the National Portrait Gallery and Trafalgar Square as you screech down Regents Street and up Charing Cross Road - parts of London normally associated with the hustle of London traffic, black cabs and double-decker buses. In all the game features six incredibly detailed tracks from around the world including the London course, the Swiss mountain range at Alp Eiger Nordwand, the 2.5 mile Daytona International Speedway, the High Speed Ring and Japan’s Fuji Speedway and Suzuka Circuit. The realism does not stop with the tracks. Even fans from previous GT games will be amazed by the advancements made in replicating many of the world’s finest cars.

The passion of gaming legend Kazunori Yamauchi, the Japanese creator of the series, is translated into each car performing, handling, sounding and behaving like its road or track going equivalent. It took the team approximately six months to develop each car with, on average, each car model made up of over 200,000 polygons (that’s forty times more than the car models in GT4). With more than 70 cars to choose from, including the Nissan GT-R, Ford GT, Audi R8, TVR Tuscan Speed 6, Aston Martin DB9, the mighty Ferrari 599, the only dilemma is which car to power up first.

GT5 Prologue is further enhanced by its online capability that is accessed through the game, so that all you need is a PlayStation 3 and a broadband connection. One of the online services will be Gran Turismo TV, a dedicated online channel packed with news and content from the world of motoring and motorsport. Downloadable content on GT TV, for example, will include 40 episodes from the cult BBC Top Gear programme. For the first time ever in the illustrious history of Gran Turismo, gamers are now able to compete online with up to 16 players from all over the world able to race head-to-head. The online race feature includes time trails, downloadable ‘ghost’ replays and ranking boards. GT5 Prologue also features an all-new ‘physics’ design for the most realistic driving simulator ever seen and new artificial intelligence opponents for the toughest race challenge yet.

Popular features in GT5 Prologue will also include two-player battles on the split screen mode, a vehicle tuning function, the drift trial mode and a driving line aid to help drivers learn how to take the racing lines. Developed hand-in-hand with the motor industry’s leading marques, including Ferrari for the first time and privileged access to Nissan’s GT-R development programme, GT5 Prologue sets an industry standard. GT5 – the full title – launches in 2009. Until then, there is enough ultra-realistic, high-speed racing in GT5 Prologue on PS3!

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
And you have to virtually pay up to get them fixed? I'm sure that would be quite easy for them to do, along with things like tyre marks. It depends on what they feel are their priorities I suppose. I was never expecting split screen play for example, even for GT5 proper. The full GT is still probably a year away, so they have plenty of time. I'd like to see full weather effects and proper physics simulation on the cars handling depending upon what they are.
True that. The main priority is still the 'real driving simulator', making the handling, steering, etc as realisitc as possible. But those weather effects would be a cool thing as well! It never ever rained in GT, did it? GT4 was generally dry and mostly sunny and GT3 had some night-tracks but that was it.

WeasteDevil

Left stick in totally wrong position for this game IMO, but each to his own.

Announcing the collaboration between Citroen Design and Polyphony Digital

Mar 06, 2008

At the press day of the Geneva Auto Show (Open to the general public from March 6 (Thurs.) – March 16) held in Switzerland, Citroen has announced their new collaboration with Polyphony Digital.

On March 4th at 12:15pm, Gilles Michel who stood at the podium for the press briefing of the Geneva Auto show announced at the end of his speech, that “Citroen will now work as a creator in the Video Game world hereafter”. Simultaneous to the announcement, an image clip “Gran Turismo meets CITROËN” was played on the overhead monitor, and the Gran Turismo” series producer Kazunori Yamauchi stepped up onto the stage. And in front of the large number of news media, the collaboration between the two companies was officially announced.

Citroen will create a special sports model concept car for “Gran Turismo”, in a unique collaboration project to be presented to the world. The result of the collaboration will be presented at the Paris Auto salon in October this year.

Citroen has won glorious victories in the WRC (World Rally Championship) in recent years, and through the new innovations in design by their design director, Jean Pierre Ploué, has been successful in their business as well. Look forward to the result of their collaboration.