Gaming Gran Turismo 5

Leg-End

The thing that holds GT5 back is the complete lack of outside the box thinking in terms of events, it was all very robot like and at times I just felt like it was a game where they perfected the stitching in a Nissan GT-R's passenger seat in order to overlook how boring the actual racing was.

It almost feels like a promotion tool for all these fantastic cars that are modelled superbly. The new season events are pretty good, had they actually taken that line of thinking early on then the whole game could have been even more interesting. The levelling up aspect is also completely out of whack, you really shouldn't have to grind the same race over and over in order to progress, grinding should have no place in racing games.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
As much as I still enjoy the game and it's a great way to waste a few hours, I agree that the levelling is an absolute joke.

The endurance races are crazy, whoever decided to stage a 9 hour race around Tsukuba needs a slap - the 4 hour one was excruciating, there's no way I'm doing 9.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Oh and having 437 different Nissan Skylines. Stop it, and give us a better variety of other cars, some of the omissions were crazy.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I'd say GT5 didn't live up to expectations. Weaste had promised us a game with unbelievable graphics and physics on which Polyphony failed to deliver. Graphics were a bit meh, especially when it comes to the design of tracks and premium cars were basically the only ones you wanted to drive because once you took a non-premium car to the road it felt like playing a PSP game on the big screen. They took over 6 years to make that game and it didn't feel polished at all. I put numerous hours into it and even got a wheel that seems to be only compatible with GT5 and nothing else but it was still not as good as I initially expected it to be.

Leg-End

Not sure you can criticise GT5 for the graphics, other than the damage models being quite shit and everything looking too clean I think the game itself was a looker.

Ainu

Not sure you can criticise GT5 for the graphics, other than the damage models being quite shit and everything looking too clean I think the game itself was a looker.
I think you could make a case for GT5 disappointing visually. Sure the Premium models are stunning but the trackside detail of the circuits is pretty lacklustre. The environments have a very sterile look and many use recycled assets as well. And when you arrive at the supporters and standard cars, well, it all turns very, very ugly. It's incredibly inconsistent visually and that drags the overall product down.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I think you could make a case for GT5 disappointing visually. Sure the Premium models are stunning but the trackside detail of the circuits is pretty lacklustre. The environments have a very sterile look and many use recycled assets as well. And when you arrive at the supporters and standard cars, well, it all turns very, very ugly. It's incredibly inconsistent visually and that drags the overall product down.
This. Obviously car design for premium models is excellent but I wasn't particularly impressed with tracks (especially surrounding areas) and of course standard cars looked horrible.

Now that we've been talking about the game I feel I'm going to take the wheel out from my wardrobe and play a little. They've released dozens of updates since I last played it, does anyone know if they have included Mini Countryman already?

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
This is the point, it's not really a game as such. What it does at its core it does perfectly well.
How has he makers of forza managed to produce 2-3 better racing games in the past couple of years than GT5 and that took many years?

Where in your opinion did they go wrong?

Bebe

This is the point, it's not really a game as such. What it does at its core it does perfectly well.
Well it's meant to be and marketed as a game. What it is supposed to do at its core is be enjoyable to play. If it does not succeed in that aim, it's quite simply not a good game. Level of ambition is neither here nor there, the only relevant ambition should be to make a good game. With GT5, they failed to meet that criteria.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
For what it's worth in my spare time lately, I've been playing GT5 again. It's actually a fecking good game but like everything could be better, personally though, it's superb. At least it hasn't taken a FF like nosedive ever since 9/10.