Grealish To City? | City bid £100M

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Fernandes is our primary Penalty taker and if you make Direct comparison between them just for Premier League for non penalty goals there is nothing to suggest that if Grealish wouldn't have been injured he wouldn't have produced similar or better numbers than Fernandes while even playing for Villa last year.
That doesn’t explain much. How many penalties did he scored last season? Around 10 or something? So even you take away his penalty goals, he still has around 18 goals 18 assist, when is sublime stats and still by far most productive midfielder in the world. Besides, asked Pogba who used to miss a lot, converting penalties may not be always as easy as you think. Bruno is probably the best penalty taker in the world, which is also a plus. As we may need a good penalty taker to win us games sometimes.

Drizzle

I would swap him for Bruno with zero hesitation.
Me too. And it's not even about numbers or effectiveness. It's about sheer enjoyment and exhilaration. We don't have enough footballers that are simply a pleasure to watch.

gajender

That doesn’t explain much. How many penalties did he scored last season? Around 10 or something? So even you take away his penalty goals, he still has around 18 goals 18 assist, when is sublime stats and still by far most productive midfielder in the world. Besides, asked Pogba who has missed a lot, converting penalties may not be always as easy as you think. Bruno is probably the best penalty taker in the world, which is also a plus. As we may need a good penalty taker to win us games sometimes.
Thirteen in all but I have no intention to under play Bruno's ability as Fantastic penalty taker but I was just applying bit of context If you compare Fernandes and Grealish's contribution just for Premier league without penalties for instance It's 6 goals and 10 assists for Grealish in around 2184 minutes and it's 9 goals and 12 assists in 3110 minutes for Fernandes .

Just in my opinion I think Grealish is better player than Fernandes as well as Rashford but both are very good players in their own right and despite me being fan of Grealish I don't think we should spend huge money on him when we have so many other positions which needs addressing.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
Take it nobody else thinks Grealish is over-rated?

Not saying he can't play, that would be silly, but gets fawned over massively by press & fans alike.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo

Not saying he can't play, that would be silly, but gets fawned over massively by press & fans alike.
I’m with you on this one. Obviously a very good player but I don’t think he is the answer for United. Too expensive. We need other areas addressed.

GazTheLegend

Me too. And it's not even about numbers or effectiveness. It's about sheer enjoyment and exhilaration. We don't have enough footballers that are simply a pleasure to watch.
You.... Don't enjoy watching Bruno Fernandes play football?

GazTheLegend

He's massively overrated for the following three reasons:
- English
- marketable
- doesn't play for man Utd

Drizzle

You.... Don't enjoy watching Bruno Fernandes play football?
That's not what I said, as you probably know. But I'll engage nonetheless.

I enjoy watching Bruno bang in goals and create them, and he does that a lot. But his all-round game is not particularly aesthetically pleasing, no. He's no football artist, that's for sure.

When he's not scoring, there's not a whole lot there, especially in the last few months when he's clearly become mentally and physically tired. No disrespect, he's clearly a very good player, just not one that is beautiful to watch. Personal preference.

Grealish, however - that's a player that demands attention. He may or may not be objectively better than Bruno, but he's way more aesthetically pleasing. There you go.

Reactions: Cheimoon

MUFC OK

If Pogba is going we should be all over this. Watch us sit our hands, lose him on a free and have no succession plan.

El Jefe

Not just you, he's massively overrated. He's still a top player but the fawning as you mention is out of control at this point.

I can't think of a player who has garnered so much praise for accomplishing so little. Dimitri Payet was playing at a higher level at West ham and for France and he got nowhere this level of praise. Not even Mahrez at Leicester was rated as Grealish seems to be now despite being more impressive IMO.

I suppose England have lacked a player with this kind of flair in so long that fans and media alike can't control themselves.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Not just you, he's massively overrated. He's still a top player but the fawning as you mention is out of control at this point.

I can't think of a player who has garnered so much praise for accomplishing so little. Dimitri Payet was playing at a higher level at West ham and for France and he got nowhere this level of praise. Not even Mahrez at Leicester was rated as Grealish seems to be now despite being more impressive IMO.

I suppose England have lacked a player with this kind of flair in so long that fans and media alike can't control themselves.
It’s more about Grealish being enjoyable to watch rather than him exactly being a purely productive player. That’s why people want him.

I don’t think he is a player that necessarily gets the numbers season on season - yet the reason I enjoy him and want him is because he simply dribbles in a way that none of our players do in our squad. It literally requires 2 or 3 opposition players to turn the focus on him and it’s hard to deal with.

You could argue that we haven’t had that type of dribbler in our first team for a long long time.

That type of player that requires a group of players attention and yet at times can completely dribble out of a group of players leaving the empty spaces for everyone else.

El Jefe

It’s more about Grealish being enjoyable to watch rather than him exactly being a purely productive player. That’s why people want him.

I don’t think he is a player that necessarily gets the numbers season on season - yet the reason I enjoy him and want him is because he simply dribbles in a way that none of our players do in our squad. It literally requires 2 or 3 opposition players to turn the focus on him and it’s hard to deal with.

You could argue that we haven’t had that type of dribbler in our first team for a long long time.

That type of player that requires a group of players attention and yet at times can completely dribble out of a group of players leaving the empty spaces for everyone else.
We're about to sign Sancho and he's exactly that type of player. He's even more enjoyable than Grealish as he has a bunch of tricks and loves a nutmeg too. Grealish is pretty to watch I admit but Sancho will add an entertainment factor at OT not seen since Ronaldo.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I wonder if we haven’t gone for Grealish to see if Sancho settles in as a pure RW first.

If he doesn’t and becomes a player who has some regular games at LW - then that ability to use or even rotate Grealish within our squad gets even harder to do.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

Its a great example of how word of mouth based on certain criteria can lead to collective and unanimous agreement about someone, or something. The criteria in this case being that Grealish plays for Aston Villa, so he is seen as (1) potentially attainable by every big club while also (2) not having any association with any of them, so he is pure and also free from the tribalism that leads a percentage of fans to talk down Kane or Mount or whoever else simply because they can't bring themselves to have an unbiased opinion of them.

Grealish is obviously a very talented player but he isn't a goal and assist machine to the point that he's going to be one of the greats. Listen to the average English fan though and he is the key to us either winning or not winning the Euros (if he could play as a disciplined number 8 he perhaps could be, but that's not who he is). I would still have him in my England team, just, but I don't see a huge difference in what he brings to the table compared to what Mount or Foden, or even Lingard when he's on his game, could do in that position.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Its a great example of how word of mouth based on certain criteria can lead to collective and unanimous agreement about someone, or something. The criteria in this case being that Grealish plays for Aston Villa, so he is seen as (1) potentially attainable by every big club while also (2) not having any association with any of them, so he is pure and also free from the tribalism that leads a percentage of fans to talk down Kane or Mount or whoever else simply because they can't bring themselves to have an unbiased opinion of them.

Grealish is obviously a very talented player but he isn't a goal and assist machine to the point that he's going to be one of the greats. Listen to the average English fan though and he is the key to us either winning or not winning the Euros (if he could play as a disciplined number 8 he perhaps could be, but that's not who he is). I would still have him in my England team, just, but I don't see a huge difference in what he brings to the table compared to what Mount or Foden, or even Lingard when he's on his game, could do in that position.
Can't agree with this, and particularly the bolded. There is an archetype of greats who performed the same role in teams who, by the metric of goals and assists don't seem to fare too well, but when what they did for their teams is considered, they were intrinsic and invaluable as the knit/mesh.

What's seen in Grealish is a means to free up others as he attracts opposing bodies towards him with his dribbling, strength and daring. It depends to what level of player he is compared to to state he is over-rated or not. Personally, I think if you look at what he brings to a suitor, factor in how rare those traits are, and assess the player from there (entertainment has nothing to do with it, it's just a by-product of his style), his value is, and should be, sky high.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I think he improves City but for what they'd have to pay for him does he really improve them that much? I mean Bernado Silva is a hell of a player and was brilliant last night vs France. Is Grealish £100m better than him for example as that's basically what it will take to get him.

Personally can't see Grealish leaving. City more likely to get Kane.

bosskeano

I think he improves City but for what they'd have to pay for him does he really improve them that much? I mean Bernado Silva is a hell of a player and was brilliant last night vs France. Is Grealish £100m better than him for example as that's basically what it will take to get him.

that price tag alone says no. He's not a 100m player in terms of production and from a business standpoint in terms of marketing and shirt sales

dal

Grealish loves villa, if they show some ambition and he can still play for England then it’s hard to see him leaving, however I’m assured his preferred destination is Man Utd if he leaves for another English club.

francobaresi

Grealish loves villa, if they show some ambition and he can still play for England then it’s hard to see him leaving, however I’m assured his preferred destination is Man Utd if he leaves for another English club.
Assured by who?

scottydoesntknow

Grealish has that star quality that not many players possess, he's a Man Utd player if I've ever seen one. He reminds me a bit of Cristiano in how he demands the ball but also looks like a constant threat whenever he has it - he makes the opposition worry about how to deal with him which creates openings for other players.

I honestly believe his game would be taken to another level if he joined us and one massive factor that I think is overlooked is the number of fouls he receives - think of the number of extra set-piece opportunities having a player like him would bring us, not to mention the number of cards opposition players would receive.

I know it's not exactly like for like but players like him are hard to find and I honestly think we should get rid of Pogba after the Euros while his stock is high and put all the money into signing Grealish because I can see him leaving on a free regardless next year.
Dream scenario - sell Pogba for 50m + 50 extra for Jack. Sell Lingard to the highest bidder for 20m - 25m and put an extra 20m for Camavinga. Get Sancho in for 75m.

I know it's massively wishful thinking but a boy can dream!! Worry about CB-ST next summer.

jetlee

Half of the fouls he gets called
at Villa would be waved on if he joined United.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Half of the fouls he gets called
at Villa would be waved on if he joined United.
Not entirely sure it would be good for us to have a player who's fouled all the time breaking the rythm of the game. Plus we're not exactly good at set pieces anyway

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa

There's another bias that weighs against the lack of bias you refer to, and that's the "he plays for Villa, so he can't actually be that good" bias that's been hanging around him for the last 3 years. It's slowly but surely been eroding (much faster since he made his England debut to be fair), but I think he's still underrated. The amount of chances he created for a team that finished 11th is unreal. 10 assists in 26 games is also superb. I expect him to increase his output again next season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Finding it hilarious everyone slating Grealish. Clearly don't watch him regularly.

Easily the best player not at a top 4 club. And stands up pretty well against almost anyone at those clubs too.
Someone was on about lack of goals and assists. He's at Villa trying to feed the hapless Watkins and Co!

Castia

Madness to swap for Bruno

He’s ‘fun’ to watch but nowhere near the levels of Bruno when it comes to assists/goals and that’s what the attacking midfielder position is all about.

That being said i actually prefer Grealish playing off the left side than through the middle anyway.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

You have lads here happily swapping him for Bruno.

He’s definitely overrated.

Idxomer

He's the best player in the PL and most people don't rate him that high, so he's definitely underrated :cool:

snk123

He’s ‘fun’ to watch but nowhere near the levels of Bruno when it comes to assists/goals and that’s what the attacking midfielder position is all about.
Lampard had better assists and goals but you wouldn't have him over Scholes. Sometimes people should get past looking at stats and actually look at the performances as well. Grealish hardly ever loses the ball and makes the right decision 9/10 every game.

Castia

Lampard had better assists and goals but you wouldn't have him over Scholes. Sometimes people should get past looking at stats and actually look at the performances as well. Grealish hardly ever loses the ball and makes the right decision 9/10 every game.
Look Grealish is a good player no doubt but he’s not at the levels of Bruno, he might not lose the ball but so what when 9/10 the things he does leads to very little. I like Grealish but if we’re talking about playing Grealish or Bruno at #10 for a 38 game season you need your head checking if you pick Grealish.

He can draw a million fouls but I’d take the 20+ goals a season thanks.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Not only that, but the stats have to be taken in context. Bruno played for the team that finished 2nd and Grealish for one that finished 11th.

They have very similar chance creation stats, which is as a bit more of a fair comparison and also the main thing I'd be looking for in my CAM. Actually now that I check it, Jack's was quite a bit better last season.

croadyman

Yeah I enjoy watching flair players and he definitely falls into that category

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's the best player in the PL and most people don't rate him that high, so he's definitely underrated :cool:
He's up there talent wise with almost anyone in the league.
But United fans are notorious for not seeing it in players from unfashionable clubs. Only have to remember the Mane threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.