Grealish To City? | City bid £100M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

He's up there talent wise with almost anyone in the league.
But United fans are notorious for not seeing it in players from unfashionable clubs. Only have to remember the Mane threads.
Yeah, agreed. You don't even have to go that far, just look at the Grealish thread from last summer.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Finding it hilarious everyone slating Grealish. Clearly don't watch him regularly.

Easily the best player not at a top 4 club. And stands up pretty well against almost anyone at those clubs too.
Someone was on about lack of goals and assists. He's at Villa trying to feed the hapless Watkins and Co!
Makes me wonder if they even watch United's games, let alone those of other clubs. He's been a total menace against us a couple of times, was borderline unplayable at OT last season.

His stats, considering the quality of players around him, are up there with the best creative midfielders in the league. He'd be even better for the likes of City, Chelsea and us.

I'd absolutely love him at United.

roseguy64

If Pogba is going we should be all over this. Watch us sit our hands, lose him on a free and have no succession plan.
How does Grealish replacing Pogba help us in CM? That's where Pogba has played most of his game and not where Grealish has played most of the time.

Dazzmondo

I'll be surprised if he leaves Villa this season tbh. Great player but don't see where he fits for us. Would probably suit City even though they also have too many similar players in his positions. Villa have shown ambition in the last 2 transfer windows which was probably what Grealish demanded to agree to sign a new contract. I think he'll be there until at least next season, then at that point I could see him moving to one of the big clubs.

EDIT: Just saw the negative posts about Bruno. Wash the shame out of your mouths. If you don't feel shame, you should.

Withnail

Makes me wonder if they even watch United's games, let alone those of other clubs. He's been a total menace against us a couple of times, was borderline unplayable at OT last season.

His stats, considering the quality of players around him, are up there with the best creative midfielders in the league. He'd be even better for the likes of City, Chelsea and us.

I'd absolutely love him at United.
Hang on, people don't rate Grealish?

bosskeano

I'm not sure you'd have to dive that deep.

Doesn't their form and ability to score goals drop off every time he gets injured?
does he have the large of an influence or garner that much attention? or is that an indictment on those other players?

Don't get me wrong here, i'd love to see Grealish at United playing along side Bruno, Sancho, Rashford and Greenwood. I'm just not sold on him costing 100m just like i wasn't on Sancho costing 120m last summer.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm not sure you'd have to dive that deep.

Doesn't their form and ability to score goals drop off every time he gets injured?
They go from a superb watch to absolutely dire without him.
They'd have been borderline relegation fare without him this season.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
other than goals and assists then you would have to really deep dive into Villa and how Grealish influenced that production
Well exactly, and what he brings to the team and how his presence creates chain reactions for his team and the opposition. A player who can take 2 or 3 players with him and away from others on his own team, consistently, is invaluable. Villa don't have the talent to really exploit that, but for better sides, you've got a real menace and ever-present threat that has to be dealt with before he gets into goal-scoring FK range, or worse, the penalty area.

Players that can do this (and there are numerous legendary ones with no particularly great G+A stats) are worth a fortune. One of them went for a world record fee this century, even.

The question is: can Grealish do 'it' at the highest levels against the best European football has to offer? If a club feels he can, then the price for what would be considered a talisman at his club, that doesn't need to sell, is going to be astronomical.

What I'd like to know is how good his combination play actually is when playing in and amongst top quality footballers. His dribbling and direct nature are well documented by now, but Villa are incapable of the 1 and 2-touch game I would like to see if he can execute.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Well exactly, and what he brings to the team and how his presence creates chain reactions for his team and the opposition. A player who can take 2 or 3 players with him and away from others on his own team, consistently, is invaluable. Villa don't have the talent to really exploit that, but for better sides, you've got a real menace and ever-present threat that has to be dealt with before he gets into goal-scoring FK range, or worse, the penalty area.

Players that can do this (and there are numerous legendary ones with no particularly great G+A stats) are worth a fortune. One of them went for a world record fee this century, even.

The question is: can Grealish do 'it' at the highest levels against the best European football has to offer? If a club feels he can, then the price for what would be considered a talisman at his club, that doesn't need to sell, is going to be astronomical.

What I'd like to know is how good his combination play actually is when playing in and amongst top quality footballers. His dribbling and direct nature are well documented by now, but Villa are incapable of the 1 and 2-touch game I would like to see if he can execute.
Absolutely spot on. It's not easy to see if you don't watch a lot of Villa. But hopefully once he becomes a mainstay in the England squad it'll be more apparent.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Absolutely spot on. It's not easy to see if you don't watch a lot of Villa. But hopefully once he becomes a mainstay in the England squad it'll be more apparent.
Cheers. How confident are you that you can keep him for at least another season?

Teja

I wonder how he'd do just being a cog in the wheel rather than as the main man on a team. Villa's whole game plan is to get him the ball and let him do his thing but he won't have that at City. Can be coached but he isn't really a pass + move + make pretty little triangles type player - he wants to be a bit of a ball hog.

He'd be a lot more suited to a team like United / Madrid than Barca / City.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Cheers. How confident are you that you can keep him for at least another season?
Pretty confident. A lot more confident than last summer when it looked like you guys were in for him. That new contract was a real surprise. Now I'm confident he'll ride it out at Villa for this season at least. As long as we continue to progress he should be happy and it looks like we're making the moves we promised him before he signed his contract too.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Pretty confident. A lot more confident than last summer when it looked like you guys were in for him. That new contract was a real surprise. Now I'm confident he'll ride it out at Villa for this season at least. As long as we continue to progress he should be happy and it looks like we're making the moves we promised him before he signed his contract too.
Would be quite something if he stayed.

We can't afford him in amongst all the other positions we're hopefully buying for, so I hope he stays put instead of becoming one of many at City.

bosskeano

Would be quite something if he stayed.

We can't afford him in amongst all the other positions we're hopefully buying for, so I hope he stays put instead of becoming one of many at City.
We can't afford unless we sell Pogba or Martial and Lingard as that is the only way we'd be able to pay for Grealish this summer.

Him staying another year at Villa would be ideal as we could then go for him next summer which allows Greenwood/Rashford an opportunity to learn behind Cavani for another season and move into the 9 position in '22-23.

I just don't see us getting Haaland so might as well look in another direction. Grealish would be ideal and his age would suit United perfectly.

Withnail

'Massively overrated' and 'would bring no more to the England team than Lingard' are just a couple of comments from the last 2 pages.
Jaysus! I haven't been keeping up with this thread but I thought it was universally accepted he was one of the best attacking players in the league.

I often wonder if people are really watching the same thing as me.

marktan

If you guys sign another midfielder or a right forward, then with Buendia, Mcginn and Luiz you'd have a very strong midfield and front line. I'd fancy you to challenge for top 4 if everyone stays fit, and of course you have Wesley returning too.

If Grealish leaves though you become another mid table team.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Jaysus! I haven't been keeping up with this thread but I thought it was universally accepted he was one of the best attacking players in the league.

I often wonder if people are really watching the same thing as me.
Same! I can only assume that he's being played down by people who don't want to see him at city. That's the most positive slant I can put on some of the utter drivel being spouted.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It’d be amazing to shift Pogba to PSG and bring in Grealish. He’s quality and hungry to win, can’t question his talent and commitment.

FizzyWomack

I want him at our club so much I even dreamt about him signing for us last nite. Who ever gets him will certainly be getting one of the best players in the game for years to come.

Come on Ole, convince the board to do the deal.

Womp

idiot
Shifting Pogba still won't allow us to get Grealish. We have a set budget this summer with far more pressing concerns. Pogba won't fetch nearly as much as would be required to get Grealish.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
If you guys sign another midfielder or a right forward, then with Buendia, Mcginn and Luiz you'd have a very strong midfield and front line. I'd fancy you to challenge for top 4 if everyone stays fit, and of course you have Wesley returning too.

If Grealish leaves though you become another mid table team.
Top 4 I'm not sure, but I hope we'll be fighting for top 6 after the dust settles this summer, if only to keep Grealish happy. He'd love nothing more than to lead Villa out for a European night at Villa Park. But you're right, without him we're just a midtable side. If he was fit the whole season, we wouldn't have been too far off top 6 I'd imagine.

CallyRed

Jim White on TalkSPORT claiming Grealish to City is all but done, 100m

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Interesting turn of events for Phil Foden and Raheem Sterling. You have to think Riyad Mahrez has the right wing at City pretty much locked down. Grealish likely to come in and want to play off the left? Pep has used Foden as a false #9 so maybe that's an option for him, especially if City think the price for Kane is beyond what they're willing to consider. Think this confirms Pep's had his fill of Sterling though.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Maybe Southgate will start him more now

theklr

FFS that hurts. Hopefully he wont get as much freedom there as he does in Aston Villa and it'll hamper him.

Hackman2210

Ah well - might as well forget the league next season then oh and the season after that and after that and after that. Feck sakes!!

Jack-C20

Jim White says it’s done? That must mean it’s nowhere near then.

antk

For those that would like at United - how does it work with Bruno? They seem to be quite the incompatible players, not without drastically reducing their influence anyway.

lenny_1248

My heart is broken.

In other alternative universe, Grealish and Bellingham are United players...

Hackman2210

To be honest, I wouldn't have thought Cardiff had a shot at the league either way.

(@Bondi77 )
Dude - Cardiff are my local I bought a season ticket there as going back and fore to OT was proving financially not viable. I’ve been a UTD fan since 85. I love the club. It’s killing me to see City doing so well. Cardiff city are a nice escape from the inevitable Man City title charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.