Grealish To City? | City bid £100M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Is there a PR team for Jack Grealish paying posters here to hype him up? I could do with some extra cash.

“Generational Talent”.. I’ll do you guys one better and keep calling him - “GOAT” :lol:

Grealish’s PR team, private message me.
Literally just 1 guy who said it, just like the Ronaldinho line.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Literally just 1 guy who said it, just like the Ronaldinho line.
I will ask you one question in villa history as a whole where you will rank grealish as a player. Some on here compared him to Ronaldinho, generational talent and all.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
I will ask you one question in villa history as a whole where you will rank grealish as a player. Some on here compared him to Ronaldinho, generational talent and all.
I'm relatively young, but he's easily the best Villa player I've ever seen. Some older fans have him just below McGrath but give him a few more years and I'm sure he'll top everyone's list..if he stays of course.

In terms of Villa he's definitely a generational talent, a lifetime talent even. I'd be extremely surprised if we produce another player like him in my lifetime.

In wider football terms, I wouldn't call him that. In terms of English footballers, I think a good debate could be had. But only if the parameters of "talent" are agreed upon first :D

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I'm relatively young, but he's easily the best Villa player I've ever seen. Some older fans have him just below McGrath but give him a few more years and I'm sure he'll top everyone's list..if he stays of course.

In terms of Villa he's definitely a generational talent, a lifetime talent even. I'd be extremely surprised if we produce another player like him in my lifetime.

In wider football terms, I wouldn't call him that. In terms of English footballers, I think a good debate could be had. But only if the parameters of "talent" are agreed upon first :D
Fair enough.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
In what world is Jack Grealish better than Harry Kane, KDB or Salah? Its not even debatable so I'm lost why some talk about him arguably being the best in the league. You add in other non forwards like Kante and Van Dijk and it becomes clear at the very least he's not a top 5 player.

You then have the likes of Bruno, Son, Sterling, Mane, TAA who have all outperformed him in his time in the PL. I'm not saying he's not a top player but I've never seen a player who has achieved so little to receive some of the praise he has. And if people want to talk about talent, I see more in Sancho, Foden and Havertz, players all far younger and accomplished than he is.

I really want him to join City just to see how he performs there. He might do well or not but talk of him going there and being their best player and best in the league is laughable. The only time he's faced similar competition and scrutiny was at the Euros with England and he was seen as one of many rather than the main man.
Other than Kane (who he was about level with), Grealish outperformed every other player you mentioned last season until he got injured.

The question is whether it was a one-off golden patch that lasted less than a season, or whether it was the start of his rise to true prominence? I personally think it was the latter (although his shin injury is a bit worrying) but it's understandable to think it was the former. What I don't get is people from both 'sides' going overboard about it as if the other possibility doesn't exist.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Grealish looks very good for Villa where EVERYTHING goes through him.

He’s a bad fit for City. He won’t see the ball as much as he did at Villa and will slow the play down when he does.

He is a very good player but vastly overrated at the same time.

‘generational player’ ‘top 5 player in the league’

No chance.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

He’s a bad fit for City. He won’t see the ball as much as he did at Villa and will slow the play down when he does.

No chance.
I tend to agree. He's basically an English Bernardo Silva and a tier below David Silva.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

No chance.
I think it is premature to say he's a bad fit. Wouldn't be surprised of Pep gets him to adapt his game slightly.
Where I think he'll have the biggest challenge will be his inability to drift. Nobody has license to do that at City.
Another thing. City are currently behind in their home grown quota. It could be why they are prepared to spend the premium on him.

Grealish is the modern day Ronaldinho.

Bruno isn't in the same category, not even close.
@sun_tzu

He is the obvious replacement, he is a generational talent.
Read the whole thread. Many people in here are talking him down, calling him underrated and debscribes him as good but nothing special etc. etc. He is a generational talent and world class.
On the left, he’d instantly be our best attacker and our football would improve countless levels, the guy is a generational talent he’s not had the stage for everyone to see it yet.
Can we stop this bollocks now that it was “one poster” who made a daft claim.

OrcaFat

There’s a lot of exaggeration in both directions going on in this thread.

He is my current favourite player but I will gladly admit he has a fair bit to prove.

Nevertheless, I do think he is a generational talent. By which I mean he is among the most talented players of his generation. The term hasn’t lost its meaning, it is correctly applied to Grealish. I also think he would be the signing of a lifetime for young Ole.

He wasn’t even match fit at the Euros and still contributed a lot. Wherever he goes he will be a star and I wish him well. Just really hope there is some twist of fate that lands him here as he has Utd written all over him.

Revan

Assumptionman
Generational has really lost all meaning :rolleyes: He's not Ronaldo Nazario or Messi.
I think nowadays is used ‘one of top 100 players of his generation’.

Objectively speaking, Grealish is very good. I wouldn’t call him world class, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he reaches that level playing for a top team.

Generational talent though? That is Ronaldo and Messi. Maybe Mbappe and Haaland in the future. The list ends there.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I rate him a lot but there's no way he's worth 100m pounds which Villa will inevitably ask(and they're entitled too ofcourse) and I think City will pay that amount.

dal

If we can sell Pogba and martial and get grealish and a midfielder to support Mctominay and Fred, I feel we win the league.

Le Red

I see a lot of you guys think like Gareth Southgate. No wonder England are serial losers.

OrcaFat

If we can sell Pogba and martial and get grealish and a midfielder to support Mctominay and Fred, I feel we win the league.
That would be brilliant. Provided Cavani stays fit, I agree we’d have as good a chance as anyone.

Having said that, I think we will go very close with what we have.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
If he joins City, where he would play ? In place of Sterling ? Ok, who will buy Sterling ?

Same for Mahrez - who will buy Mahrez ?

Now if he is going to partner KDB , there is no peak Fernandinho to help them out like he did for Silva and KDB.

Personally, I think he will fail miserably at City. Just hope he doesn't make that move. Chelsea Or Liverpool will be his best bet .

Sanche7

Would love to see us buy him, but don't know where we would play him. I don't think he has the output to play as a LW, his best position would be LCM, but with Bruno and Grealish, I feel our midfield is going to get overrun pretty easily, even if we get a top class DM. Plus 100 mill is a bit too much for him. Best case scenario would be someone like Goretzka, Saul or Camavinga to partner a DM like Neves. Pretty sure we can get two of Goretzka, Saul, Camavinga and Neves for the money Villa will want for Grealish

acolyte

I think nowadays is used ‘one of top 100 players of his generation’.

Objectively speaking, Grealish is very good. I wouldn’t call him world class, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he reaches that level playing for a top team.

Generational talent though? That is Ronaldo and Messi. Maybe Mbappe and Haaland in the future. The list ends there.
Agreed with all of this.

"Generational talent" means a player who defined his generation (Messi/CR7, Ronaldo/Zidane, Maradona, Cruyff), not merely one of the best of his generation (which I don't even buy that Grealish has yet proven himself to be).

OrcaFat

Would love to see us buy him, but don't know where we would play him. I don't think he has the output to play as a LW, his best position would be LCM, but with Bruno and Grealish, I feel our midfield is going to get overrun pretty easily, even if we get a top class DM. Plus 100 mill is a bit too much for him. Best case scenario would be someone like Goretzka, Saul or Camavinga to partner a DM like Neves. Pretty sure we can get two of Goretzka, Saul, Camavinga and Neves for the money Villa will want for Grealish
I think we’d play him as one of the three in our 4231, probably starting left most games but also in the middle of the three sometimes if Bruno needs a rest.

When Rash gets back, then Sancho, Grealish, Greenwood and Rashford would be a very fluid and exciting front four giving both Cavani and Bruno a rest. It’s a squad game after all. If there are 60 games a season, Grealish would start about 40 of them, I reckon. Assuming everyone was fit, I think he might even start some key games ahead of Bruno at 10.

In summary, I don’t think the issue of where to play him is a problem; he’s too good for that. But I will be shocked if we sign him, simply because of the cost.

Lemansky

Grealish is a top player. Will he strengthen City a lot? Imo no. They already have loads of good attacking talent, Grealish would be one more. He ain’t a generational talent, and he is a tad bit overrated on here.
I would be more worried if City signed Kane or Haaland as that would give their team a new dimension.

Revan

Assumptionman
Agreed with all of this.

"Generational talent" means a player who defined his generation (Messi/CR7, Ronaldo/Zidane, Maradona, Cruyff), not merely one of the best of his generation (which I don't even buy that Grealish has yet proven himself to be).
Grealish has done feck all to have the word generational in the same sentence as him. Unless it means one of the top 100-500 players of his generation.

For feck sake there are dozens of EPL more proven players than him. And I wouldn’t call neither of them generational, and only a few world class (Kane, De Bruyne, Kante, Van Diijk, De Gea in the past, Pogba when he bothers, maybe just maybe Bruno and Sterling).

Grealish? Let’s see how he does in a good team first, will he even be a starter in the first place, and can he win something before we go into full-madness.

Revan

Assumptionman
If he joins City, where he would play ? In place of Sterling ? Ok, who will buy Sterling ?

Now if he is going to partner KDB , there is no peak Fernandinho to help them out like he did for Silva and KDB.

Personally, I think he will fail miserably at City. Just hope he doesn't make that move. Chelsea Or Liverpool will be his best bet .
My best guess is him, Sterling and Mahrez will rotate with each other. I think he is better than Mahrez, but worse than Sterling. So one possibility might be for Sterling to go to the right, and Grealish to play from the left with Mahrez in the bench.

Or Pep might go full Pep, play one of them as false number 9 and lose UCL again.

Flytan

Chance Pep loses his mind at City if they are unable to pry either Grealish or Kane. Personally would rather them sign Kane than Grealish

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

I assume won't take long is due to City potentially quickly walking away depending on the asking price?

Revan

Assumptionman
Chance Pep loses his mind at City if they are unable to pry either Grealish or Kane. Personally would rather them sign Kane than Grealish
They need much more Kane than Grealish. They don’t have a good striker, but they are stacked in attacking midfield with Sterling, Foden, Mahrez, De Bruyne and Silva. Adding Grealish does not add much to that team, adding Kane to replace Jesus makes them far stronger.

Higgy74

Supports
Wolves
Being a wolves fan I hate grealish with a passion but even I have to admit he would elevate you to champions standard, he is that good, you sign him and Neves on top of what you have and you’re right back up the top of English football competing again.

If city sign him and Kane then you and everyone else can forget about the title for the next 5 years

izec

They will go for Grealish now for 100m, sell Jesus and Bernardo and some other useless squad player and go for Kane in mid to late August.

Eternitiy

Very frightened if City can get him. Under Pep's tutelage, Grealish can become something truly special. He will destroy the opposition with his guile and skill.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Very frightened if City can get him. Under Pep's tutelage, Grealish can become something truly special. He will destroy the opposition with his guile and skill.
Kane is the scarier signing. Without a proper striker and if they use a false 9 they wouldn’t be more dangerous than they already are.

Nero

Don't be scared of a bunch of guys kicking a ball about.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Foden took Sterlings place pretty often in the 2nd half of last season. They'll just rotate the attackers and sell Bernardo probably.

Offsideagain

Fabian Delph pledged his loyalty to Villa for about a week and then fell for the petro pounds from City and then bombed. I’m not saying Grealish will, but he is a very individualistic player and won’t slot into the tippy tippy stuff City play unless Guardiola coaches that out of him. City have a dearth of midfielders, so he may be a bench boy for a while drawing a big salary. Maybe they are buying him to stop others getting him.

OrcaFat

Grealish has done feck all to have the word generational in the same sentence as him. Unless it means one of the top 100-500 players of his generation.

For feck sake there are dozens of EPL more proven players than him. And I wouldn’t call neither of them generational, and only a few world class (Kane, De Bruyne, Kante, Van Diijk, De Gea in the past, Pogba when he bothers, maybe just maybe Bruno and Sterling).

Grealish? Let’s see how he does in a good team first, will he even be a starter in the first place, and can he win something before we go into full-madness.
I agree about seeing how he does in a better team as his numbers should improve a lot. But I don’t agree with your other conclusions. Not sure what you mean by proven but another, arguably better, way of forming an opinion is by watching him play. When he plays well he is effective and exciting to watch and more or less unplayable.

Status
Not open for further replies.