Grealish To City? | City bid £100M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classical Mechanic

He's worth 100m but not to City, which is a strange thing to say with their money.

The signing will make a lot more sense if they move one or two players on - but how likely is that?
Supposedly they're happy to let B Silva, Jesus, Mahrez and Sterling leave. If they get Kane and Grealish then it's highly likely that Silva and Jesus will leave. Silva wants to play in Spain and Jesus isnt good enough for City.

cyberman

False 9 will be the best bet for pep to utilise him to benifit his team in attack. Pep will create game situations for grealish 1 vs 1 against defender. From there one result will come mostly penalty or goal bound shot.
They played a false 9 last year and were levels below their standard in attack. If Pep wanted a false 9 then he wouldn't be after Kane or Haaland imo.
Taking Sterling out already costs them a huge amount of goals. Replacing Jesus with someone who scored 6 last year in his best ever season is just too much.
They would be running the risk of being the best side in the league but losing out because a lesser side outscored them.

arthurka

Villa should just ask for 150m just for the fun of it. Like him a lot and he will do just fine for City. With KDB missing half of each season he will do them just fine.

Skills

Snitch
Be interesting to see where he plays in that City side, I don't think he's disciplined enough to play where David Silva did so I assume LW where he played for Villa, not sure what that then means for Foden or Sterling though? Foden could play that David Silva position, Sterling as the false 9 then? We did see last season Pep already starting to move on from Sterling though

--------------------Ederson--------------------
Cancelo--Stones--Dias--Zinchenko
----------------------Rodri----------------------
-------De Bruyne-------Foden-------
Mahrez--------Sterling--------Grealish
I think Foden is more likely to be the false 9 with Sterling on the right and Gundogan at CM.

Or I could see Guardiola going for 3-4-3 full time - he tried this at Barcelona.

------------------Ederson
----Walker---Stones --- Dias
Cancelo --- De Bruyne --- Rodri --- LWB
-----Sterling --- Striker --- Grealish

Not sure if it gets the best out of anyone in particular though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Funny before we signed Sancho, general consensus here is Grealish being better player over past 1-2 years. And during Euro this year, people in England all wants the team to be build around Grealish, funny how things have changed here after we'e signed Sancho and City linking up with Grealish. I mean, Sancho could have a higher ceiling in future as he is younger, but Grealish has been rated higher and more of special playe in recent year.
Nah. General consensus pretty much everywhere around Europe has been Sancho for a long time now. Some United fans were butt hurt after the transfer fell through last summer and then he had a slow start to the season and had injury issues while Grealish had a great first half. Then he got injured and Sancho got back to his best and carried Dortmund to a cup win and rescued the top 4 after they looked like they weren't going to make it.

I mean for whatever it's worth too, Fifa had Grealish as an "80 overall" at the start of the season and ended as an 83 with the upgrades, while Sancho was an 87 and remained so, so obviously they were on different planets when it comes to their reputation and standing in the world game.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
They played a false 9 last year and were levels below their standard in attack. If Pep wanted a false 9 then he wouldn't be after Kane or Haaland imo.
Taking Sterling out already costs them a huge amount of goals. Replacing Jesus with someone who scored 6 last year in his best ever season is just too much.
They would be running the risk of being the best side in the league but losing out because a lesser side outscored them.
Sterling was given enough games mate. He failed to score some easiest chances last season.

Grealish has that close control and dribbling ability. I don't think he will struggle in city team. Pep have a fantastic team but no one has that dribbling ability as good as grealish. Pep wanted him to use his ability in tight spaces.

I am sure other front three or four players and wide wing backs join in attack too. Pep simply follow last year pattern of play with grealish as false nine. Kdb and Silva as attacking 8s with rodri holding the midfield.

This set up will create situations for grealish lots of 1 vs 1 s and many defenders will struggle to contain grealish in those situations.

Probably pep will not take kane anymore if grealish signed for them.Mostly grealish or kane not both in my opinion.

izec

Top player and great signing for them. Him and KDB in the same team is ridiculous. They just need someone at the end of all the chances. Well Kane

redrobed

Nah. General consensus pretty much everywhere around Europe has been Sancho for a long time now. Some United fans were butt hurt after the transfer fell through last summer and then he had a slow start to the season and had injury issues while Grealish had a great first half. Then he got injured and Sancho got back to his best and carried Dortmund to a cup win and rescued the top 4 after they looked like they weren't going to make it.

I mean for whatever it's worth too, Fifa had Grealish as an "80 overall" at the start of the season and ended as an 83 with the upgrades, while Sancho was an 87 and remained so, so obviously they were on different planets when it comes to their reputation and standing in the world game.
:lol:

bosnian_red

Yeah its fifa stats but let's be honest they do represent what the majority tends to think in terms of player rankings, at least pretty close to it. If you're comparing 2 players in the same position and it's that far apart, then it's blatantly untrue to say that Grealish was "generally rated higher". Which was my general point.

The amount of bias in here is making my head explode :houllier:
What kind of bias? Seems quite a level debate. Most people think he’s a very good player, some doubt he’s that good and aren’t sure he’ll be a massive hit at City (think Mahrez) and some think he’ll be an absolute superstar there.

I think he’ll be class, but can understand those doubting he’ll have a massive impact, especially considering how Mahrez turned out. Good, but nothing like what many thought.

Where’s the bias?

Varun

Staff
Rate him as one of the top players in the league but this was inevitable. There's no way we were spending 100mil on another player who's far better on the left with freedom to move than on the right where we've been lacking for ages. City have bottomless pits of cash and Grealish is far too good to give his best years to Villa, fan or not. He'll be brilliant for them I reckon but there's not much you can do about it.

Castia

Good player but massively overrated, not sure he’s got what it takes to take City up a level either.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Rate him as one of the top players in the league but this was inevitable. There's no way we were spending 100mil on another player who's far better on the left with freedom to move than on the right where we've been lacking for ages. City have bottomless pits of cash and Grealish is far too good to give his best years to Villa, fan or not. He'll be brilliant for them I reckon but there's not much you can do about it.
It’s funny how football changes. Go back to the 90s/00s and great left wingers were as rare as rocking horse shit. Now, with the switch to opposite footed inside forwards, great LWF are ten a penny and great RWF are like rocking horse shit.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

:lol: Sorry couldn't help it

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Good player but massively overrated, not sure he’s got what it takes to take City up a level either.
Yeah this is what I feel; I’m amazed City are going to pay £100m for him. I don’t know how he’s been elevated to such a high level. Good player, but I feel he’ll flop at City (or certainly not live upto the price tag).

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Villa don't come up against parked busses, so Grealish has his space to play. Grealish also spent almost his whole career before 24 in the championship, so are we just ignoring that completely and looking at a good 6 months before injury in his age 25 season but criticizing Sancho for setting all time records in one of the 4 biggest leagues in football history?
No one critcize Sancho here. Just simply pointing to the fact that stats in BL is usually somewhat inflated as compared to PL, as there are in general more spaces opened up from the defence of BL teams to attack there, it is just the way it is with the way they play football over there, and there are plenty of examples in the past to illustrate that (Kagawa, Mkhitaryan, Werner, Havertz etc), but doesn't mean Sancho wasn't a great talent. Some top players could re-produce the same form or stats even in tougher league too, De Bruyne or even Bruno are one good examples. We will have to wait and see how Sancho performs in PL, or after Grealish moving to a big team in the league to give a fair comparison.

Last edited:

Robbie Boy

Laugh all you want! It helps prove a point that one was generally rated much higher especially when the gap was that big so its untrue claiming that Grealish was viewed as a better player.
It never happened. Sancho has been rated higher for a long while now, and righly so imo.

bosnian_red

No one critcize Sancho here. Just simply pointing to the fact that stats in BL is usually inflated as compared to PL. There are too many examples in the past to illustrate that, but doesn't mean Sancho wasn't a great talent.
I don't disagree, it is true that there's generally a bit of an inflation with most stats, think I read from one of the stats guys before that it's like a 12% drop from the group of players he looked at (dribbles per game, key passes, shots etc). But there is so much variation to it that I'm not sure how useful it is.

Traub

So disappointing. They’re going to be completely unstoppable now. The only silver lining is it’ll mean it’s less likely that Liverpool win the league.

Chairman Steve

This transfer has shades of Berbatov to Man Utd for me. A very good and obviously talented player going into a team brimming with talent already and never really standing out (still being good though) or progressing any further as a player, which may leave a bittersweet feeling later down the line considering the financial outlay involved.

Varun

Staff
It’s funny how football changes. Go back to the 90s/00s and great left wingers were as rare as rocking horse shit. Now, with the switch to opposite footed inside forwards, great LWF are ten a penny and great RWF are like rocking horse shit.
Yeah, all about the left foot.

bosnian_red

It never happened. Sancho has been rated higher for a long while now, and righly so imo.
Jeez, did anyone claim he was?:houllier:
Was replying to this:

Funny before we signed Sancho, general consensus here is Grealish being better player over past 1-2 years. And during Euro this year, people in England all wants the team to be build around Grealish, funny how things have changed here after we'e signed Sancho and City linking up with Grealish. I mean, Sancho could have a higher ceiling in future as he is younger, but Grealish has been rated higher and more of special playe in recent year.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Laugh all you want! It helps prove a point that one was generally rated much higher especially when the gap was that big so its untrue claiming that Grealish was viewed as a better player.
FIFA rating has nothing to do with how Redcafe members rate the two players though.

bosnian_red

Haaland was scoring for fun when Sancho had a slump early last season.
Dortmund as a team struggled until Sancho pulled it together though, with or without Haalands goals. And I saw this mentioned a few times (not necessarily you) but Sanchos productivity didn't really change when Haaland came either, he was ridiculously productive both before and after.

FIFA rating has nothing to do with how Redcafe members rate the two players though.
I live abroad and trust me, I chatted to many about the Euros and England’s chances, I said Sancho and Grealish would be massive.
To a man they all agreed on Sancho, but were baffled about Grealish, “is he that good really?” etc were the replies.

Like feck Grealish was rated higher than a guy playing for Dortmund and in the CL, that’s just not how things work. He may well be better mind, I don’t think we’ll know for a few months.

bosnian_red

That's true! But generally even so I really don't remember many rating Grealish over him until maybe January because they were annoyed that Sancho didn't happen last summer, and then he had a slow start to the season while Grealish had his best half season in his career. Their 2nd halves Grealish was then injured though while Sancho went back to being world class though, so I'd say it's only a small period of Grealish > Sancho.

bosnian_red

I did explain afterwards "here" means "literally here in Redcafe". But maybe you have missed my post afterwards, so I wouldn't mind explaining this again.
Yeah I thought you meant a general standing in the game, not specifically people on here who would be more premier league centric (understandably).

I'd definitely say though that a redcafe consensus last summer was Sancho, and then over the season it balanced a bit.

I did explain afterwards "here" means "literally here in Redcafe". But maybe you have missed my post afterwards, so I wouldn't mind explaining this again.
“Here” is bollocks too though, do you have a poll? Or have you just decided that?

For me it’s appeared rather equal, 2 seasons ago Sancho by far, last season I think Grealish had a slight edge on redcafe, though I couldn’t say for sure.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I live abroad and trust me, I chatted to many about the Euros and England’s chances, I said Sancho and Grealish would be massive.
To a man they all agreed on Sancho, but were baffled about Grealish, “is he that good really?” etc were the replies.

Like feck Grealish was rated higher than a guy playing for Dortmund and in the CL, that’s just not how things work. He may well be better mind, I don’t think we’ll know for a few months.
Sure, its not difficult see this, overseas-wise, one plays for bigger club in Europe and played in CL, while the other only play for Aston Villa.

But again, what I meant to say is, is how redcafe members rate the 2 players over past 1-2 years, lots of members here have been expressing their appreciation on Grealish, the whole Euro thing even further reinforced that appreciation of the player in England.

But I noticed the tune has changed after we signed Sancho. you just have to read through the beginning of this thread to see this.

bosnian_red

“Here” is bollocks too though, do you have a poll? Or have you just decided that?

For me it’s appeared rather equal, 2 seasons ago Sancho by far, last season I think Grealish had a slight edge on redcafe, though I couldn’t say for sure.
Definitely got the impression a lot were butt hurt that Sancho didn't happen last summer so then overreacted to a slow start to the season (even people bringing it up at the end of the season after he was in world class form for a couple of months already).

Real Name

Do they really need him?
Also it will mean less chances for Foden again which is strange cause Pep was always fantastic in giving youth a chance you know.

keithsingleton

Up a level? Overrated?

Christ what do you watch? First of all City don't need to improve to win the league again! There still the best team in the league and all this does is sadly given them a excellent chance of winning it again when the season starts.

For me it's a kick in the teeth as we just can't compete with the oil merchants. Let's not forget Ole still not proven he's good enough (IMO) tactically to match Pep & Klopp.

Grealish will relish playing with better players and you'll see a even better player than you've seen already. Not sure were it leaves Sterling though. They could have him as a false striker with Grealish taking his slot or maybe even sell him.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Well even you;'ve just admitted there is slight edge for Grealish on redcafe last season, which is actually my original point.

See the problem is, Grealish has been highly appreciated here over past 1-2 season, back then a lot here has expressed that Grealish would be our "dream signing", or the player they wanted most. But ever since the Sancho signing, I notice there is change of tone here, hence why I am writing my original post. You don't have to make everything either black or white, I do admire Sancho highly and personally prefer him over Grealish (for other reasons).

Last edited:

Real Name

Sure, its not difficult see this, overseas-wise, one plays for bigger club in Europe and played in CL, while the other only play for Aston Villa.

But again, what I meant to say is, is how redcafe members rate the 2 players over past 1-2 years, lots of members here have been expressing their appreciation on Grealish, the whole Euro thing even further reinforced that appreciation of the player in England.

But I noticed the tune has changed after we signed Sancho. you just have to read through the beginning of this thread to see this.
Lots of posters were raving about Sancho too.

Status
Not open for further replies.