Grealish To City? | City bid £100M

Status
Not open for further replies.

romufc

He'll do well for City. All this talk about "being transformed into a system player", "Pep won't know how to use him" ( :houllier: )... Is just wishful thinking.

At the same time I think that with Sancho and a midfielder (or Pogba magically being able to play midfield for us consistently well) we will be well positioned to challenge City, Grealish or not.
I do think its wishful thinking but part of me also thinks Grealish isn't your normal tikki takka player. He likes to drive with the ball, City are not that sort of team. Therefore; some elements of his game will need to be coached out of him.

Look at Mahrez, at Leicester was on fire with his dribbling, at City you see it in flashes because he doesnt get the chance to start every game.

I also do believe that sometimes you can have too many players in certain positions, City have Silva, Foden, KDB, Gundogan, Mahrez, Ferran, Sterling, Jesus all playing for 4 /5 spots?

They are all of similar quality, if United get their team sorted, a challenge is on.

Stringer

Not sure I get the hysteria, pretty sure Young had higher output at Villa than him with fewer games played. Sterling/Mahrez/Foden/Bernardo all better or equal to him so I don't see him having such a massive impact. When I read people saying he's better than Bruno and Rashford all I can do is laugh.
I don't rate him as highly as many others seem to do here but you might want to consider that evaluating a football player consists of more than just looking at their goals and assists.

Withnail

It's a shame as I love the way he plays, proper saf era united player aura about him. Its mental money though so I understand united not getting involved when they really needed multiple players this window.

It pushes kanes price up though, levy will be eyeing North of £150m now. Can city really drop £250m in one window? Especially in a market where you can't really sell off your unwanteds anywhere other than psg

Maybe they'll sell bernardo to Melbourne for £300m or something
No they're poor remember?

pascell

The best stat I have learnt while reading this thread is "ball carrying capability". Something as basic as that is apparently better than scoring Goals or assist.

This forum has some weird obsession with him. We have signed Sancho and most here are depressed about not signing Grealish. It's hilarious
Is that not just considered, well, dribbling? :lol:

SuperiorXI

I think some are not considering that this signing - while it doesn't significantly improve their starting 11 - it does significantly improve their squad depth which was already rediculously overpowered. Squad depth is crucial to a season.

100m for a signing like this is a luxury teams dream of.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
With all due respect, you paid £93 million (including the add-ons) for Pogba + the best part of £30 million in agent fees + taxes + legal fees = circa £130 million.

Grealish won’t cost anything like what you paid for Pogba.
I’m not saying that Pogba wasn’t worth every last penny of it. I don’t watch enough of him to know, so that’s for you to decide, but you should at least be honest with yourself about what the outlay was.

And I suspect, with good reason, that Grealish’s salary will also be less than Pogba’s and that City won’t have to suffer the painful nonsense that arrives with the Raiola circus.
Some Scouse maths in the blue half of Manchester here.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Still don't get this transfer. City are stacked in wide areas.

Only thing I can think is they're reacting to losing CL final and they need for English player quota.

Don't think he'll improve them much, if at all, or even play that much honestly. Guardiola is super demanding on the press and workrate.

Sure he gets fouled, goes down easily but is that enough to get in City's team?

Josh 76

Only thing I can think is they're reacting to losing CL final and they need for English player quota.

Don't think he'll improve them much, if at all, or even play that much honestly. Guardiola is super demanding on the press and workrate.

No one spends 100m on a player and then not play them much.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Personally think he’ll excel at City.

Grealish and KDB linking up would be something else.
I think the opposite.

Grealish slows down the play and everything went through him at Villa. I personally don’t think he suits their play at all.

Interesting to see how it pans out.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
No one spends 100m on a player and then not play them much.
João Felix and Coutinho say hello!

He's no better than Mahrez, Sterling or Bernardo. Different maybe, but better, not for me.

It's a strange transfer really.

Gee Male

As an ROI supporter, I hope City sign Rice too, just so I can continue hating the pair of turncoat wankers.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Personally I think this signing is partly about image. They’re basically trying to be peak Man United by signing the England captain and arguably England’s best attacker.

It’s part of building their brand as the best club in England, despite it being hugely artificial. But 7 year old kids ain’t gonna know that, they’re gonna see the two stars at the Euros playing for City.

acolyte

The best stat I have learnt while reading this thread is "ball carrying capability". Something as basic as that is apparently better than scoring Goals or assist.

This forum has some weird obsession with him. We have signed Sancho and most here are depressed about not signing Grealish. It's hilarious
Right? It's this weird obsession with how aesthetically pleasing your little dribbles are to the exclusion of anything else...like end product. Rashford has more than twice the career goals and almost as many assists in fewer seasons and playing against better competition, but apparently that doesn't matter. It's all about how watching Grealish gives some posters a tingly feeling.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I think the opposite.

Grealish slows down the play and everything went through him at Villa. I personally don’t think he suits their play at all.

Interesting to see how it pans out.
I think this notion on Grealish ‘slowing down the play’ is erroneous to be honest…

Did you watch Villa with and without him last season…? Which version seemed quicker?

Did you watch England when he rarely came on in the Euros? Quicker or slower as a team?

Grealish in a Guardiola team with players like KDB, Sterling, Foden and possibly Kane around him will provide box office footy imo.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Sky reporting that Villa offered him higher wages than he's going to get at City, that has to be bullshit right?

spiriticon

With all due respect, you paid £93 million (including the add-ons) for Pogba + the best part of £30 million in agent fees + taxes + legal fees = circa £130 million.

Grealish won’t cost anything like what you paid for Pogba.
I’m not saying that Pogba wasn’t worth every last penny of it. I don’t watch enough of him to know, so that’s for you to decide, but you should at least be honest with yourself about what the outlay was.

And I suspect, with good reason, that Grealish’s salary will also be less than Pogba’s and that City won’t have to suffer the painful nonsense that arrives with the Raiola circus.
https://www.goal.com/en/news/1862/p...reveal-paul-pogba-agents-huge-fee-for-move-to

Juve paid the agent's fee, and since when do we include taxes, legal fees to boost a transfer price up?

Did we include the taxi fee to take Pogba to and from the airport too? Gotta be at least a few quid to add on there.

b20times

I'd have Grealish over Jadon every time, more experience in the EPL and more of a threat on the ball.
My only surprise is we've not tried to hijack the move at the 11th hour as we tend to do that with Man City targets.
If they get kane on top of Grealish then it overshadows our transfers I'm afraid.

choccy77

Sky reporting that Villa offered him higher wages than he's going to get at City, that has to be bullshit right?
Maybe not.

Villa can afford higher wages as not paying any fee for him, but at same time, Villa won't be winning or challenging for top trophies.

Basically Grealish is smart and Kane isn't

spiriticon

If City were at all financially sensible they wouldn't have to fudge their account books.

redrobed

Feels like City are trying to adopt the Bayern approach in the market now. Just poaching the best players of the little teams like Villa, Spurs, etc. Hopefully it doesn’t become a completely uncompetitive league.

OverratedOpinion

City will pay him a very sensible wage. I am sure he will be fine as I suspect the UAE tourism board will offer him 20 million a year for his undoubted expertise in state infastructure.

Chairman Steve

I’m sure the City books that they will allow people to see, will say Grealish is on minimum wage and he shunned the Villa millions just to work with St Pep!

romufc

I'd have Grealish over Jadon every time, more experience in the EPL and more of a threat on the ball.
My only surprise is we've not tried to hijack the move at the 11th hour as we tend to do that with Man City targets.
If they get kane on top of Grealish then it overshadows our transfers I'm afraid.
I guess this is because you might not have watched Jadon play?

How can you say Grealish is more of a threat when Sancho's numbers are in the top 3 for the last 3 seasons? Makes no sense.

Also, we have just spent £105m on transfers, we can't afford to spend £100m on a player we don't need at the moment.

Everyone used to moan when we signed players on name and not because we need them, when we sign players that we need people surprised we don't sign them because City do...

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He'll do well for City. All this talk about "being transformed into a system player", "Pep won't know how to use him" ( :houllier: )... Is just wishful thinking.

At the same time I think that with Sancho and a midfielder (or Pogba magically being able to play midfield for us consistently well) we will be well positioned to challenge City, Grealish or not.
This is the key for Ole. A system that allows Pogba and Bruno to play in midfield is what will give us a chance of competing for the title.

Adisa

Why? Their owners are loaded. He is their best player and can afford to pay him anything he wants. City can't offer him higher wages than KDB for example.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
Grealish is objectively better than "Rashy" by almost any player attribute you want to pick.
Let's pick goals and assists then.
Rashford: 55 goals and 30 assists in 179 appearances by the age of 23.
Grealish: 15 goals and 16 assists in 96 appearances by the age of 25.

Yeah so much better "objectively".

Adisa

They do also pay players off books...
To be honest the only time this has been alleged was Mancini over a decade ago. Since then, we haven't heard anything or seen any evidence. We can't just conclude this as fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.