Grealish To City? | City bid £100M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolaholic

I genuinely hate teams like this, wasting talent. Look at Koulibaly at Napoli, in a few years many fans won't remember who he is.
Agreed but he did decide to renew long term willingly signing away any leverage like Zaha and others before.

Just hate how those clubs end up benefitting from their loyalty and sacrificing better opportunities only to try and make it as hard as possible for them to move on afterwards.

Seemingly a one way street that, feel like Kane not being allowed to be sold would be another example

Last edited:

0le

I place the blame squarely at the players. If they are unsure of their futures then sign shorter contracts or force clubs put release clauses in them. As much as I hate to admit it, Pogba has done well in this regard. If he wants to leave, he can and if he wants to stay, the club will renew. Players such as Grealish and Kane, whilst their loyalty is admirable, were both naïve to seemingly sign long term deals.

Leg-End

Shows where an agent who is looking out for his client is worth their weight in gold.

Grealish shouldn’t have been signing any contracts unless he has release clause options, I don’t get why more footballers don’t bet on themselves getting big moves.

Rolaholic

I place the blame squarely at the players. If they are unsure of their futures then sign shorter contracts or force clubs put release clauses in them. As much as I hate to admit it, Pogba has done well in this regard. If he wants to leave, he can and if he wants to stay, the club will renew. Players such as Grealish and Kane, whilst their loyalty is admirable, were both naïve to seemingly sign long term deals.
Agree 100%, which is why as much stick as pizza man Raiola gets for his antics, I think I'd most likely want an agent like that on my side during negotiations if I were a top player.

Those types try to maximize their clients earning potential and have no qualms about rocking the boat to get exactly what their clients want in the end.

Would much rather that than someone advising me to sign away any say that I'd have on where I go in my career during my playing career's prime.

Hate seeing quality players piss away their entire careers at mid-table clubs when they'd be absolute superstars elsewhere like Shearer and others

Judas

Open to offers
Villa don't want to sell him, don't need to sell him, he's got plenty of time on his new contract. I don't blame the club even remotely. It's on Grealish and his agent.

tjb

Agreed but he did decide to renew long term willingly signing away any leverage like Zaha and others before.

Just hate how those clubs end up benefitting from their loyalty and sacrificing better opportunities only to try and make it as hard as possible for them to move on afterwards.

Seemingly a one way street that, feel like Kane not being allowed to be sold would be another example
Yet the same teams have the audacity to paint those players as greedy when they run down their contract. That was Ozils mistake at Arsenal.

GlasgowCeltic

I saw him being interviewed immediately after the last game of last season and he all but said he was leaving, I think he thought he was moving to Utd. That new deal just smacked of him reacting badly to it not happening, massive error from him

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I saw him being interviewed immediately after the last game of last season and he all but said he was leaving, I think he thought he was moving to Utd. That new deal just smacked of him reacting badly to it not happening, massive error from him
I think they offered him a big fat contract during a time of financial uncertainty in the game and he bit their hand off.

Dante

Average bang
United seem to have eyes for Sancho and only Sancho this Summer. So there probably wasn't any chance of Grealish coming here anyway.

At least by staying at Villa, City are being denied one of their top targets.

So it may not be a win for United, but at least it's a loss for City. I'll take that for now.

Fahad Jawaid

If we are not planning to sign him, I hope he stays at Villa, and if Pogba leaves next summer we get him next summer. I would hate seeing him play for City, because alongside KDB, he would be magical, similar to Silva and KDB which was impossible to stop.

BoltonWanderer

Supports
Bolton Wanderers
I think it's short sighted of these clubs to not want to sell. The reality is, Grealish isn't worth £100m to Villa because they could sign a £20m replacement and not finish in much worse of a position. Grealish isn't enough of a difference between top 4 and 12th, or 12th and relegation. He's not irreplaceable, certainly not if you replaced him with two £50m players.

These clubs act like they need to hold onto them because they're local players, which is understandable, but objectively, they just aren't worth the valuations the clubs have decided on.

Grealish is very good, I'd like him at United and while I get Villa wanting to keep him, it just seems like it's an unnecessary saga for what should be a straight forward, logical transfer that helps the player and both clubs.

What BW is missing is that Grealish during a bad year absolutely could be the difference between a bad relegation battle, and certain safety.

60-70m is bizarrely worth so little to English clubs these days so players are complete idiots for not demanding a sensible release fee, the blame is solely on them as they've all seen how clubs can behave, very rarely do they "do the right thing" for the player.

ShinjiNinja26

I genuinely hate teams like this, wasting talent. Look at Koulibaly at Napoli, in a few years many fans won't remember who he is.
Why? They have every right to keep him, he’s their player. It’s on the players for signing big new contracts. If you don’t want to be there long term then don’t sign on for another 4-5 years, or in Harry Kane’s case SIX fecking years!

Idxomer

What BW is missing is that Grealish during a bad year absolutely could be the difference between a bad relegation battle, and certain safety.
He kept them last season and had them around European places before getting injured this year, his impact has been huge.

He kept them last season and had them around European places before getting injured this year, his impact has been huge.
Aye, he really makes a huge difference, as he would for any club. I absolutely understand Villa seeing him as invaluable, it's why top players should ask for a sensible release fee, in Grealish case he should have said "I'll sign for 4 more years, but with a release fee of 70m", would have been fair all round.

NFM

Villa are now a wealthy club. They have no need to sell. They have some great youngsters coming through. Why would he want to leave?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
What? :lol:

Why do teams have a right to sign players? People look at Napoli as being foolish for not selling Koulibaly earlier as they could’ve got a few million more. But they kept a world class player for several seasons more than they might have. Napoli want to be up there competing with the big boys as well, why should they sell? Besides, the player signs a contract. If he wants to move, don’t take the money.

SamoyedSam

Supports
Notts County
Villa are now a wealthy club. They have no need to sell. They have some great youngsters coming through. Why would he want to leave?
I agree. They are improving the team every summer and have a very good crop of youngsters coming through.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Probably to play at the Champions League and go down as a great player which I don't think he can do at Villa. I can see why they have no need to sell, but I can see quite a few reasons why he would want to leave.

croadyman

Hope this is true and we go all in for him next summer when Pogba inevitably leaves on a free but when you hear those recent quotes from the City owner it sounds like they will do whatever it takes to persuade Villa to sell

Polar

Personally I think Grealish will be competing for the Balon d'or once he gets to a top club. He's that good.

With Mahrez there was always the question of whether his Leicester season was a one-off and he'd otherwise be a good but not great player (and that's what seems to have happened), but Grealish brings the mentality to go with the ability to go all the way.
Mahrez has taken his play to another level the last months. He was brilliant against PSG. I actually rate Mahrez higher than Grealish. Mahrez is in my view more “international class”.

I’m off course open to change my mind after Euro 2021. It’s Grealish’ opportunity to perform on the big stage and prove international class.

FatTails

I hate how these shitty small clubs don’t immediately fold and sell their contracted players to the big clubs. Idiots.

Also, I like competitive leagues and there is absolutely no contradiction there.

Bwuk

I don’t see him going to City. If Grealish has a brilliant euros, Villa will want 100m+

City won’t spend that sort of cash on Grealish and Kane.

croadyman

I don’t see him going to City. If Grealish has a brilliant euros, Villa will want 100m+

City won’t spend that sort of cash on Grealish and Kane.
Yeah I am hoping he has a Gazza like Italia 90 and sends his price even out of their reach

Rolaholic

Summarizing some weird sentiments in this thread.
People like to see class players competing for and winning things, oh the humanity...

No one's saying clubs should sell talent for peanuts but some of these valuations are absurd and serve mainly to reward player loyalty by making it near impossible for them to go elsewhere

FatTails

People like to see class players competing for and winning things, oh the humanity...

No one's saying clubs should sell talent for peanuts but some of these valuations are absurd and serve mainly to reward player loyalty by making it near impossible for them to go elsewhere
Villa were so much worse without Grealish. The hoarding of talent ruins the game and in the long run makes for less competitive football. Imagine if all the talent that spends most of the season sat on the benches of the big clubs was spread around a bit more.

City are a very strong team, and any additional transfers will have marginal returns on investment. They should be expected to overpay for that privilege especially when the transfer will have much bigger impact on Villa (all that to say City are buying an asset they arguably don’t need from a team who are super reliant on it, hence the overpaying makes sense)

yamo123x

We must be in for Grealish, cant allow City to get him. Time for Glazers to stump up cash and show our intentions.

Mani

United seem to have eyes for Sancho and only Sancho this Summer. So there probably wasn't any chance of Grealish coming here anyway.

At least by staying at Villa, City are being denied one of their top targets.

So it may not be a win for United, but at least it's a loss for City. I'll take that for now.
Our top priority this season is Sancho so I would be happy to see him stay at Villa for other season so that we can get him next season once pogba leave.

Unam333

Our top priority this season is Sancho so I would be happy to see him stay at Villa for other season so that we can get him next season once pogba leave.
There is little chance we are signing both of them. However, Grealish staying put, so we can go back for him next year is wishful thinking.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We must be in for Grealish, cant allow City to get him. Time for Glazers to stump up cash and show our intentions.
:lol: they can't even fix the door that got broken at the stadium or repair the swimming pool on time, let alone show ambition in the transfer market.

Status
Not open for further replies.