Great goalscorers that were terrible footballers

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Good shout. Great finisher, below average everything else.

Was Klose a shit footballer?
Didn't see him much other than for Germany & I can only remember him scoring goals but not sure if he was a shit player.
Klose wasn't particularly good goalscoarer most of the time, but a prolific footballer. That's why he was Löw's first choice even at 36. So, he's pretty much the opposite of what is searched here.

NK86

He isn't a complete liability as OP states, but Thomas Muller. Great finisher who's always at the right spot around the box, average or below average at everything else.
You must be joking. He has great control and is excellent at link up. He isn't even a bad dribbler. Who next? Rudd?

MounchesterUtd

You must be joking. He has great control and is excellent at link up. He isn't even a bad dribbler. Who next? Rudd?
His positioning is so great that he has never really been put in a place where he's forced to show 'great' control of the ball, while he's just average at link up.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
According to most people in Holland; Ruud.

In my opinion: Huntelaar. Fantastic finisher, but could t make it at Real and Milan because he lacks flair and has no superstar aura. In his prime, few strikers were more clinical.

Also, Dirk Kuyt :wenger:

NK86

His positioning is so great that he has never really been put in a place where he's forced to show 'great' control of the ball, while he's just average at link up.
You need to watch him more regularly than just his goals. All I can say.

gica_7

Jan Koller is also there.

Mario Jardel always knew where to be. But technically he was not that great.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I was going to suggest the same, kinda clumsy cnut with too many offsides in his bag, who scored a bunch of goals, but his partnership with Yorke was legendary in every way.

I'm also thinking Solskjær, did he offer much besides a feckload of important goals and legendary attitude?
TBF the OP poses a hard questions, you can't bag alot of goals while being shit at everything else. You might, but then again you probably won't last long enough to score them before you get dropped.

Andy coles, was just a tounge in cheek, but in the spirit of the thread I'd say yeah perhaps Cole.

On solskjaer he's a very talented striker and his reading of the game is superb, everything else about him isn't bad either, but too bad he just can't have the first team spot one way or the other. His supersubs status masked his true ability.

Jean claude van hire

He was proper footballer. I don't think he falls into that category at all.

It's hard to put a name in the thread cause those who were great goalscorers usually had more to their game. If it's only good goalscorers that bagged considerable amount of goals during their careers:

Heskey, Huntelaar, Afonso Alves, Kevin Phillips, Bierhoff, Chris Sutton, Gilardino, Maccarone, Matri etc.
Peter Crouch on the other hand is a terrible example. Didn't score loads of goals but was deceptively a quite technically gifted footballer

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Your very own Van Nostrils

The concept of this thread can feck off. Why is it cool to segregate goalscoring from the act of playing football?

Next someone will create the thread "dribbers who are awful at football", except for the fact that it's cool to have tekkers, but anyone can score.

Bollocks
There's absolutely loads of these, great dribblers who have terrible decision making are pretty useless footballers. IE Chamberlain, 90s Denilson, Aaron Lennon, Zaha etc etc

daveyjones

A 'terrible footballer' is now synonymous to 'having terrible technique'?

Aren't there more aspects to a footballer than just 'technique'?

ROFLUTION

In terms of not having a lot of flair/dribbles, but able to pop up at the right spot, at the right time:
- Jon Dahl Tomasson
- Chicharito
- Les Ferdinand (8th topscorer of all time in Premier League)

... And btw Romario had amazing technique

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Mario Gomez stands out. He actually has moments of quality on the ball but he's extremely clumsy, especially outside the box. Actively an obstacle to his own team at times when they are trying to build-up quickly.

MounchesterUtd

You need to watch him more regularly than just his goals. All I can say.
Ahh, the time tested 'you must not have watched him before if you don't agree with me' Caf logic :lol:

I will not pretend to be some kind of German football savant, but I've been following Muller for both club and country since 2009. Let's agree to disagree.

NK86

Ahh, the time tested 'you must not have watched him before if you don't agree with me' Caf logic :lol:

I will not pretend to be some kind of German football savant, but I've been following Muller for both club and country since 2009. Let's agree to disagree.
Then you must not have been following him well. His link up play is exceptional and his ball control is really good too. How anyone can lay the claim that he is an average footballer is beyond me, especially one who follows German football circa 2009.

However yeah, let's agree to disagree.

NK86

Your very own Van Nostrils

There's absolutely loads of these, great dribblers who have terrible decision making are pretty useless footballers. IE Chamberlain, 90s Denilson, Aaron Lennon, Zaha etc etc
Zaha is not a great dribbler unless a kick amd run merchant is called one nowadays.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
You can't be a great goalscorer and terrible at football. That's a ridiculous notion.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I was going to suggest the same, kinda clumsy cnut with too many offsides in his bag, who scored a bunch of goals, but his partnership with Yorke was legendary in every way.

I'm also thinking Solskjær, did he offer much besides a feckload of important goals and legendary attitude?
Ole spent a stint on the right wing looking beckham-esque. He was a fabulous footballer.

Abizzz

Carsten Jancker.

Having looked at his wiki again he might not make it as "great goalscorer". Somehow he always did score when I saw him play though, so that's that.

Moonred

This thread is full of people disagreeing with the options which basically proves the whole concept is unfounded or extremely rare in pro level. It's impossible to be 'great' yet 'terrible'.

montpelier

How about a small Title Amendment to something like

''Over Achieving Strikers Who Scored More Goals Than Their Overall Level Of Technical Ability Would Have Suggested Was Possible''

Steve Bull

Vardy is the one that sticks out for me. Rubbish footballer but used his pace and strength to great affect during one freak season.

Inzaghi is the stereotypical poacher but i dont think you can do what he did for so many years without being half decent.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Carsten Jancker.

Having looked at his wiki again he might not make it as "great goalscorer". Somehow he always did score when I saw him play though, so that's that.
He was just insanely average overall. The only reason he enjoyed moderate success is that back then, every team thought they needed some big guy up front for set pieces and stuff.

Edit: although he scored that one once:
At 0:56

Blackwidow

This thread is full of people disagreeing with the options which basically proves the whole concept is unfounded or extremely rare in pro level. It's impossible to be 'great' yet 'terrible'.
Actually because somebody has to define what a good footballer is...

For me football has many aspects and artistery with the ball is just one aspect of it and in my eyes not the main attribute for a great goalscorer. Anticipation, instinct, body strength and especially mentality are much more important. But that are parts of this "being a good footballer", too.

POF

How about a small Title Amendment to something like

''Over Achieving Strikers Who Scored More Goals Than Their Overall Level Of Technical Ability Would Have Suggested Was Possible''

Steve Bull
Good shout. David Nugent, Mickey Quinn are others that spring to mind. Jermaine Defoe too. At a higher level, Papin and Butragueno were quality poachers but not great outside the box.

The thread seemed like it should be a good one and there are examples of players who were naturally very good goalscorers but poor in general play.

But 95% of the examples in this thread completely miss the point and are utterly terrible.

GBBQ

Jan Koller is also there.

Mario Jardel always knew where to be. But technically he was not that great.
Koller was the first name to pop into my head. Basically just a bean pole to aim for in the box. 1 goal per 2.4 games in domestic football and 1 goal per 1.7 games at international level would suggest a great goal scorer too.