Great players that are not Legends at any club

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Maybe I'm stepping on a few toes here but.... Zlatan?

Malmö supporters tore down his statue. At Ajax he's just a part of a proud history of developing young top talent. In Italy he's played for 3 rivaling clubs, so I can't see him being a legend for any of them individually, although he is clearly a legend in Italian football. In Barcelona he didn't do that much and had a falling out with Pep. And he only really played one season for us.

I guess PSG supporters might consider him a legend? Not sure.
I would have said for AC Milan, specially after his 2nd stint to help them win the Scudetto on and off the pitch but then again if you look at the list of their legends...

Oranges038

Got to the mention of Beckham... 100% a Utd legend.

I'd say players like Zlatan, Laudrup, Thuram, Okocha (Bolton doesn't count), Hernan Crespo.

Gonna go 90s here and say Georgi Hagi, incredible player. Or maybe Hristo Stoijkov, he's probably considered a Barcelona legend, but you never really hear him mentioned amongst the greats. Dejan Savićević perhaps, another fantastic player. I'm aware some of these guys played for Red Star and are likely considered legends there.

Van Der Sar - up there as one of the greatest goalkeepers of the last 30 years, but would he really be considered as Utd or Ajax legend?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Well Liverpool fans class Gerrard as a club legend despite the fact he cost them at least 2 league titles and was ready to turn his back on them and join Chelsea until he was forced to stay.
I don't think he was forced to stay and he did win them a CL, I think he is one of their legends and Owen as well, but it seems there's a fair number of Scousers who don't think Owen is

Captmfla

Seedorf
Angel Di Maria
Anelka
Klose
Luca Toni

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
You'd have to ask their supporters but maybe Michael Laudrup? I'd imagine he'd be a Barca legend but they can be quite finicky.
He was the first name that popped into my head too. If you’re talking the biggest/best name, he’s got to be up there.

paulscholes18

Veron is the ultimate Legend in Estudiantes de la Plata and quite one in Lazio or even Parma
Completely forgot about Estudiantes, but only 1 season at Parma and 2 seasons at Lazio, is that long enough to be classed as a legend?

Chipper

Adulterer.
Here’s the new list
Lukaku
Owen
Ozil
Alexis Sanchez
Higuain
Aubameyang
Forlan
Roy Makaay
Hargreaves
I'd be very surprised if Makaay isn't considered a legend at Deportivo La Coruna.

Joins the club and immediately wins the league for the only time in their history in his first season, finishing as their top goalscorer in 1999/00 with 22 league goals. Helps them to their 2nd of only 2 Copa Del Rey wins in 2002 although only scoring once in the competition.

One of only 3 players to win the Pichichi award for them as top goascorer in La Liga (2002/03), scoring 29 times. The others being Bebeto 92/93, and Tristan 01/02. The only Deportivo player to ever win the European golden boot (same season).

Records seem a bit iffy for this team - Wiki has him down as their all-time top goalscorer, transfermarkt has him 3rd.

He was only there 4 seasons, but this is a club without a huge trophy haul in their history and he played a big role in the most successful few years they ever had. Their Legends are mostly going be players from that era I'd have thought. Makaay, Tristan, Fran (all time apperance record too) etc.

Last edited:

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
I get it, he ended burning bridges in the majority of his clubs, but he reached Legend level in Boca, Corinthians, Juventus and even at West Ham...time also helped him in City when the obvious Mancini affair was bullshit since day one, but nowadays that it's more than clear many fans realized how great he was and instrumental to the real rise of City.
Not really. He was very good for Corinthians, but not a legend, far from that. I think he's closer to being a legend for United(well, if you guys give me the licence to say) than for Corinthians.

Robinho. Don't think RM or city would consider him as a legend. Same as AC Milan.
Robinho is among the five greatest players in Santos history, arguably even the three greatest.

Adamsk7

Bale? Not sure he was a legend at Spurs or Real, despite scoring in two finals

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
That didn't do much to his United legend status for me, I've actually already largely forgotten that whole saga of last season. We all already knew he was a prissy wanker before he even came back, hell he was like that when he was winning us trophies. That's just who he is. Its nearly impossible to like his personality, but legend status comes primarily from what you do on the pitch and few ever did it as well on the pitch for United as he did, so he is and always will be a United legend for me. Who knows what we would have won from 2006-2009 without him.
Absolutely ridiculous to claim Ronaldo isn’t a United legend. Arguably our greatest ever player. Only George Best could be argued to have been better. Three league titles in a row, an FA cup inspired, league cup and absolutely outstanding in the 42 goal season ending in us winning only our 3rd and last CL.

Won Ballon Dor at the club also. People really do struggle to leave emotion out of judgement.

JogaBonitoRooney

Tevez, Ozil, Alexis Sanchez, Michael Owen because he ruined his Liverpool rep, Brazillian Ronaldo moved around and isn't a legend at any single club

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Absolutely ridiculous to claim Ronaldo isn’t a United legend. Arguably our greatest ever player. Only George Best could be argued to have been better. Three league titles in a row, an FA cup inspired, league cup and absolutely outstanding in the 42 goal season ending in us winning only our 3rd and last CL.

Won Ballon Dor at the club also. People really do struggle to leave emotion out of judgement.
I'd argue he's number 3, with Best number 2 and Sir Bobby as number 1, however anyone who argues Ronaldo isn't a United legend knows feck all about football IMO

RedRocket9908

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
Not really. He was very good for Corinthians, but not a legend, far from that. I think he's closer to being a legend for United(well, if you guys give me the licence to say) than for Corinthians.

Robinho is among the five greatest players in Santos history, arguably even the three greatest.
Like I've said in other posts here, it's hard for an Ibra or Tevez to be fully Legends when they stayed in clubs for mostly short periods, yet what I was trying to say it's that both had that particular atribute of becoming fans favorites almost instantly while producing great football at the same time.

Yet Tevez in Timao it's not that far from being a "legend" playing wise and regarding the connection with the fans even being there in a very short period of time,he might also be quite fresh in the fans memory being somehow recent his tenure there. We fans tend to leave in oblivion former past absolute legends. He was more than very good BTW and his tendency to score in clasicos also helps a lot.

But I get that like it happens to him in Juve (where he was stellar) his time in both clubs was very short and both are huge clubs with many historical figures, the thing that could have made him more or less assure a full established legendary status in both clubs even with this short periods, is if he had obtained a Libertadores with Timao and a CLs with Juve, he was close with the last ones.

Completely forgot about Estudiantes, but only 1 season at Parma and 2 seasons at Lazio, is that long enough to be classed as a legend?
Actually in Estudiantes he didn't played that long when he appeared, but returning after Europe winning Libertadores and becoming President later sort of cemented his status (having that surname also helped quite a lot).

The thing with Parma and Lazio it's that both clubs aren't exactly that successful and Veron it's quite associated for those great periods with him in those teams, yet I've mentioned more in relation to such thing, than him being trully a player that developed his carreer in either teams, he was another journeyman that at least had a clear home back in his land.

Last edited:

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
This is a crazy answer.

I know United fans (including myself) don’t fancy him much nowadays but he was a key part of one of the best sides in our history and was integral to delivering one of only 3 European cups in the club’s history.

He is one of Real’s best ever players and it can’t even be debated if he is a legend or not there.

He became a legend at Al-Nassr just by stepping on the pitch and gave the entire organisation a lift just by his presence. Not to take away from the fact that he is performing for them too!

He will be remembered as a legend of 3 different clubs when the dust settles and time has crystallized his achievements in the game, whether we like him or not.
No.. at best he was most adored here. Pick any 100 united fans and fair share will tell you that he isn't a united legend. The man was part of most successful era here, and left to give his best years to RM. Where he was incidentally not considered a legend as well. Man is a legend of the game. Maybe for that saudi club. Not united, not RM not juve.

berbasloth4

Mightened been in the major elite category but very good player but what about robbie Keane?? Great player moved about a bit much for legendary status at clubs (except galaxy) great for his country??

berbasloth4

No.. at best he was most adored here. Pick any 100 united fans and fair share will tell you that he isn't a united legend. The man was part of most successful era here, and left to give his best years to RM. Where he was incidentally not considered a legend as well. Man is a legend of the game. Maybe for that saudi club. Not united, not RM not juve.
ronaldo is a united legend fact! And at Real Madrid too.

avgp_1

Xabi Alonso played for some massive clubs but is he considered a legend at any of them?

Trequarista10

Brazilian Ronaldo is an interesting shout.

At PSV, Barcelona and Inter pre injury he was producing breathtaking performances, but didn't make enough appearances to really impact either club's history, and didn't win a league title at any of them.

Well regarded as an excellent striker for Madrid, but he was a different player by that point, not THE pre-injury R9, the outrageous greatest of all-time contender.

berbasloth4

At PSV, Barcelona and Inter pre injury he was producing breathtaking performances, but didn't make enough appearances to really impact either club's history, and didn't win a league title at any of them.

Well regarded as an excellent striker for Madrid, but he was a different player by that point, not THE pre-injury R9, the outrageous greatest of all-time contender.
that’s a brilliant call.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
No chance. You can’t do much more than he did for both United and Real. He is easily a legend at both. It can be argued that United can be debated (even though that’s silly because he won the Balon D’Or here) but to say he isn’t a Real legend is absolutely ludicrous and doesn’t make any sense whatsoever.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Did think about him, but thought 100 goals for Real Madrid would be enough to class him as a legend.
On 5 seasons there, he only had 2 seasons with 30+ goals (30, 31) as striker. Almost similar to Higuain.

And not much, trophy-wise, when he was there.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Cristiano is definitely a Madrid legend. Much loved and missed. Arguably the second greatest after Di Stefano and the best for this generation.
Fat Ronaldo, Bale, Marcelo...it depends on the number of legends that each one wants to include.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

He was the first name that came to mind but I’d imagine that Inter fans have to consider him a legend. He is inducted into their Hall of Fame, he’s likely the single greatest player they’ve seen play for their team… and he even won them the UEFA Cup when that trophy meant a lot.

Still, for a player of his stature you’d imagine that he’d have cemented his place as one of the undisputed legends at least at one of his clubs and he, perhaps, didn’t. Not to the extent of his talent at least.

kaku06

How are you comparing Tevez to Owen? Owen won Liverpool a treble in 2001 while Tevez was a sub for us.
How old are you again? You don’t sound like you are old enough because Tevez was a starter for us in 2007/08 season when he joined and won the double which is bigger than the so called “treble” and I still wouldn’t call him a legend. As for Owen, Liverpool don’t consider him as a legend. Period. I mentioned Tevez because of the similar shenanigans.

You have weird criteria to call someone a legend. You call Owen a legend because he scored plenty of goals for Liverpool but Forlan was pitiful for us and scored just 17 goals in 3 years at United and you call him a legend too. Tell me again, why do you consider Forlan a legend?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Came here to post his name. Very good player at Arsenal and Chelsea in the premier league, but neither club would class him as a legend. Pretty sure he was good wherever he went, but went to so many clubs that he’s not really a legend anywhere.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
I'd argue he's number 3, with Best number 2 and Sir Bobby as number 1, however anyone who argues Ronaldo isn't a United legend knows feck all about football IMO
I despise him for his last stint here but he's 100% United legend. Anyone who says otherwise has questionable football knowledge. See his reception during his first game back with us

bringbackbebe

Came here to post his name. Very good player at Arsenal and Chelsea in the premier league, but neither club would class him as a legend. Pretty sure he was good wherever he went, but went to so many clubs that he’s not really a legend anywhere.
He should have stayed at Arsenal under Wenger. Would have become a legend there in a few years. He was so young and naive when he left.

G3079

Supports
Nobody in particular

That's the thing though, you can't take the emotion out of the discussion, because judging somebody a legend is an emotional decision in the first place. Without emotion, you're down to pure statistics in judging who is a legend and who isn't, and then this entire thread is superfluous. There are plenty of club legends who, by pure numbers, shouldn't be one, and others who should be one of the clubs biggest legends and aren't. All the numbers will do you no good in giving you legendary status if you are just not held in that much esteem by the fans. It is more than just pure metrics and achievements.

Emotionional connection and esteem are an integral part of the discussion whether or not somebody is a legend or not. And Ronaldo simply burned a lot of that esteem with his second tenure at United. Understandably so, his play was often substandard and listless by his standards, his conduct not rarely utterly unbecoming, and I don't think we need to talk about the way his story at United ended. A lot of fans were very fed up with him, both in regards to his play and his personality, and I'd say for good reason. And that of course would overshadow is outstanding first stint at United for many, you cannot erase that out of the picture that is "Ronaldo at United", just like his lacklustre second stint cannot erase how outstanding his first one was. They're both part of it. And it would seem for a decent percentage of fans that ruins their overall view of the player enough to push him out of legend status for them.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
That's the thing though, you can't take the emotion out of the discussion, because judging somebody a legend is an emotional decision in the first place. Without emotion, you're down to pure statistics in judging who is a legend and who isn't, and then this entire thread is superfluous. There are plenty of club legends who, by pure numbers, shouldn't be one, and others who should be one of the clubs biggest legends and aren't. All the numbers will do you no good in giving you legendary status if you are just not held in that much esteem by the fans. It is more than just pure metrics and achievements.

Emotionional connection and esteem are an integral part of the discussion whether or not somebody is a legend or not. And Ronaldo simply burned a lot of that esteem with his second tenure at United. Understandably so, his play was often substandard and listless by his standards, his conduct not rarely utterly unbecoming, and I don't think we need to talk about the way his story at United ended. A lot of fans were very fed up with him, both in regards to his play and his personality, and I'd say for good reason. And that of course would overshadow is outstanding first stint at United for many, you cannot erase that out of the picture that is "Ronaldo at United", just like his lacklustre second stint cannot erase how outstanding his first one was. They're both part of it. And it would seem for a decent percentage of fans that ruins their overall view of the player enough to push him out of legend status for them.
Coming back at 37 and being the only player who performed in that first season? The entire season was an abomination. And that overshadows three years of watching the best player in the world play for us, three years of one of the most outrageous young players to play for us, being the key player in a side winning three league titles on the bounce for only the second time, only the third CL, 7 trophies in six years….we’ve won as many in the 15 years since he first left in 09. Winning the Balon Dor only the fourth player to play for us to win it after the holy trinity.

You’re claiming football is made up of emotion and statistics alone. Utter nonsense.

Pperformances, match winning moments, BIG match winners, dragging a team to success with the sheer weight of a player’s contribution, impact, impact of the loss of the player, sheer magic and world class performances, being talismanic.

All of those things apply and are not eradicated by coming back at 37 for 18 months anymore than Schmeichel playing for City for 18 months should have any impact on what he did at United. Or Rooney twice trying his best, disrespecting his teammates and manager, to get out of the club, playing like a 37 year old Ronaldo at 27. Still a legend for his achievements and outstanding contribution. Keane holding the club to ransom for personal gain and being virtually sacked for misconduct . I don’t have to like a complete stranger to value what they did for the club and their impact on the global stature and trophy haul.

Keane’s last two seasons at United held us back as he couldn’t get around the pitch. We had to play another player next to him just to run for him. Rooneys last 3/4 seasons were pretty dire to say the least and he became a problem. Players get older, players ask to leave, sometimes clubs don’t allow it and sometimes the player manages to get his way.

Id say you’d have to want to find a reason not to say Ronaldo, perhaps our best ever player, isn’t a legend of the club, given how talismanic he was and influential to our success. I’d be suprised if a lot of the people saying so, don’t have their reasoning rooted from early on in his first stint and always struggled with how great Ronaldo actually became.