Greatest Dribbler of All Time

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
How anyone can have Giggs on a GOAT dribbler list is crazy. In recent times Zidane, R9 (a literal nutmeg machine) and Ronaldinho should be on most top 5 lists together with Messi and Maradona. I think Bergkamp gets to few mentions here too.

I'm a young lad in my late 40s so can't say I've watched Garrincha, Best and the other oldies enough to put them on any list. Really can't understand how anyone under 60 can put Best on a list or anyone under 80 can mention Garrincha really....
Today we have a lot of websites on internet that can watch some marvelous players in the past( maybe even 60-70 years ago). I can recommend you some sources of footages or evidences about old-time football.

https://footballia.net/players/manuel-francisco-dos-santos
Footballia has 9 matches of Garrincha matches, that's included his peak performances in World Cup 1962( probably the best that come from "pure wingers").

https://footballia.net/players/george-best
The same source also has 8 matches of George Best but mainly in European Cup. In fact, his footages can be found a lot on youtube.

Some great compilations of both that can easily find on youtube.

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Today we have a lot of websites on internet that can watch some marvelous players in the past( maybe even 60-70 years ago). I can recommend you some sources of footages or evidences about old-time football.

Footballia has 9 matches of Garrincha matches, that's included his peak performances in World Cup 1962( probably the best that come from "pure wingers").

The same source also has 8 matches of George Best but mainly in European Cup. In fact, his footages can be found a lot on youtube.

Some great compilations of both that can easily find in youtube.
Exactly.
If anything it would probably be better to keep their memory alive.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
How anyone can have Giggs on a GOAT dribbler list is crazy. In recent times Zidane, R9 (a literal nutmeg machine) and Ronaldinho should be on most top 5 lists together with Messi and Maradona. I think Bergkamp gets to few mentions here too.

I'm a young lad in my late 40s so can't say I've watched Garrincha, Best and the other oldies enough to put them on any list. Really can't understand how anyone under 60 can put Best on a list or anyone under 80 can mention Garrincha really....
I think sometimes we can just take Word of the oldies and players of that time. Like you can read what other players said of Best and Garrincha.

troylocker

Why not?
If you rewatch the world cup matches (the ones that we have recordings of at least) does get someone a good assement most of the time.
Also their achievements speaks for itself.
You can of course feel free to think what you want and put up any list you want. Just as I'm free to think it's a hipster take for a young guy to put someone they've never watched a full 90 of on top of lists like this. Garrincha even played in a time when most people didn't even have a telly. I'm sure he was a fantastic dribbler, but that's not my point.

Do you really think a 5 min highlightvideo with bad footage from the 50s/60s when the opposition was soso is enough evidence to put someone above players you've followed and watched 20+ full 90s with? Don't tell me you've rewatched every match of the WC's from 58' and 62' + the tempo in the games back then was extremely slow.

troylocker

I think sometimes we can just take Word of the oldies and players of that time. Like you can read what other players said of Best and Garrincha.
Would you take Garrincha over Messi on the right wing, my granddad said he was the best ever out on the right?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Diego.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Is it Ronaldinho? I vote Ronaldinho, because not only was he wonderfully inventive and skillful with the ball, he was also playful. He did stuff in games to entertain himself and the crowd, and at times he did things with the ball just to feck with the opposition, just taking the piss out of his opponents. Brilliant.
Probably no. 2 for me, incredible dribbling mixed in with tricks.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Would you take Garrincha over Messi on the right wing, my granddad said he was the best ever out on the right?
No, it's a good point, but just because we didn't watch them doesn't mean they didn't do it.

troylocker

That is my point though. Can you really put someone on an all time list from watching a few compilaitons on youtube when you weren't even alive when they played or experienced the realtime talk/buzz between footballfans at the time?

I bet a lot of people in here has put names on lists like this that they haven't even watched a single full 90 of ever.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
You can of course feel free to think what you want and put up any list you want. Just as I'm free to think it's a hipster take for a young guy to put someone they've never watched a full 90 of on top of lists like this. Garrincha even played in a time when most people didn't even have a telly. I'm sure he was a fantastic dribbler, but that's not my point.

Do you really think a 5 min highlightvideo with bad footage from the 50s/60s when the opposition was soso is enough evidence to put someone above players you've followed and watched 20+ full 90s with? Don't tell me you've rewatched every match of the WC's from 58' and 62' + the tempo in the games back then was extremely slow.
You Raise some fair points and I'm not going to pretend I saw as many games from say garrincha as I did for messi but then again sometimes you don't need that(unless trying to gauge consistency) , every great football player has their legacy match or matches , it could be in the world cup/european cup etc and when you get to see that why not form an opinion on it?
World cup was basically the best competition available back then and there is footage of it, you could form an opinion around it.

In the end Ranking players from different eras can be a bit daft and mostly done for fun and as you say perhaps a bit too hipsterish for some folks taste but if you have legitimate footage of some player in the highest competition performing at peak level, why not rate him on that?

RatPack

For me Michael Laudrup in his Barca days was an amazing dribler especially starting from standing positions. Most times he just made the assist with an amazing pass instead of trying to do it all on his own.
He was a team player and model to all young players.
For me it is a + that he did not dive like Messi and others or showboating like Ronaldinho.
But in his prime I would pick Maradona. Carried Naples to success and carried Argentina to the WC win.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Definitely, one of the most underrated dribblers, he was so amazing in his days. A very agile, versatile and skillful player with great tenacity of the game. I really love his way of playing, it's look so magnificent.

He was clearly a bit ahead of his time: a midfielder with a great propension to drible, score and make incisive runs. Unfortunately for him at his decade german football was very disciplined in the positioning and he was a player that loved to play between the lines.
He would probably be adapted to inverted winger nowadays, and would excel on that position.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Best dribbler will certainly be Maradona, guy could dribble at speed, in close spaces, with tricks, and in any direction. Luis Ronaldo, Zidane, Ronaldinho, Jay Jay Okocha, Riquelme are some of many great dribblers.

Messi specializes in dribbling with acceleration in straight or semi straight directions, due to his strong dependency on his left foot. Unlike the players stated above, Messi only dribbles when he knows that there is space opening up between the defenders, the defenders are passive (not aggressively marking the spaces) and it is the best option for him (no other forward players who can make use of his passes). When the situation is against him (e.g. defenders marking the spaces aggressively or the direction is not straight enough for him to accelerate), he will typically pass to another player and then move into a lowly marked space so that he can try again. I would say that he is the most intelligent player of all time, since he knows when to dribble, when to pass etc. This is why his dribbling appears to be very good.

Messi's dominance happened at the same time where defenders became more of possession carriers with less focus on defensive attributes as well as playing around talent on the same level as him (Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets, Neymar, Suarez, Villa, Pedro, Etoo, Henry etc). The players that Barcelona had from 2009 to 2014 were able to create and exploit spaces for Messi while being equally good at dribbling and holding possession. That's why that Barca team under Pep and Enrique was so formidable. It is no coincidence that when most of those players left, Messi was not able to produce the same performances, though he was still able to perform as a finisher and creator. The Messi that we saw at PSG is another example of why his dribbling is no longer very effective, due to his decline in speed from post-COVID issues.
That's complete nonsense.

You ARE right in that Messi IS intelligent, so at Barca, surrounded by great players in a possession-based team he would pass rather than attempt dribbling through traffic.

With a poorly coached Argentina (not lately) it's a different cup of tea. "Give it to Messi" and they all just stood there and watched. I've spent the last 15 years seeing Uruguay double and triple up on him. As soon as he beat someone AN Other had to become the cover defender, and so on. He just piled us up for fun, over and over again. 90 minutes of that, rinse repeat, and every time he got the ball it was absolute torture.

It's not very effective to play all by yourself though, run into blind alleys ala Rashford or even dribble your way towards your goal lile Denilson often did. Messi knows better than that, obviously, it was just how Argentina went about things.

Last edited:

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid

The defending seems comical in both those clips. And not because either of them make it look that way, just how they behave, move around and seem to have much less awareness on how to position themselves and engage.

antohan

He was clearly a bit ahead of his time: a midfielder with a great propension to drible, score and make incisive runs. Unfortunately for him at his decade german football was very disciplined in the positioning and he was a player that loved to play between the lines.
He would probably be adapted to inverted winger nowadays, and would excel on that position.
He would be insanely good in today's football.

Such a lovely player @General_Elegancia Back in the early 80s I actively sought Koln Bundesliga games just to watch him glide around the pitch.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
That is my point though. Can you really put someone on an all time list from watching a few compilaitons on youtube when you weren't even alive when they played or experienced the realtime talk/buzz between footballfans at the time?

I bet a lot of people in here has put names on lists like this that they haven't even watched a single full 90 of ever.
You can watch full games with them. If you don't have the time, you can watch all-touch compilations (those that don't exclude mistakes). Is experiencing the realtime buzz more important?

Rating someone like Meazza, when all you get is a couple of minutes of random grainy footage, is extremely different. With the players from the 60's it's much easier.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He would be insanely good in today's football.

Such a lovely player @General_Elegancia Back in the early 80s I actively sought Koln Bundesliga games just to watch him glide around the pitch.
Looking at your location it reminded me of the mighty driblers Enzo Francescoli and Chris Waddle. It was a nightmare facing Marseille back in those days.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert

Short-sighted. First of all, 90 minutes matches of these players exist and are freely available. People don't realise how lucky we are to have classic World Cup matches etc. easily and freely available. When you used to have to get videotapes of old players. It was a LOT harder and infinitely more expensive.

Secondly, you don't actually need to watch that many matches of a player to get a fair idea of how good they were. Of course if you can watch 300 matches or whatever, that's great. But we have to remember, this ability we now have to watch any player we want every single week on TV is an extremely recent phenomenon. People in the 70s and 80s had an opinion of Maradona, Cruyff etc. but they would only have seen them in World Cups and in a handful of other matches. It doesn't invalidate their opinions.

antohan

Looking at your location it reminded me of the mighty driblers Enzo Francescoli and Chris Waddle. It was a nightmare facing Marseille back in those days.
One of my greatest peeves is how little footage there is of Racing Paris, before they folded and he moved to Marseille. For a year they had peak Enzo and Littbarski, I would pay good money to watch that in HD today.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
One of my greatest peeves is how little footage there is of Racing Paris, before they folded and he moved to Marseille. For a year they had peak Enzo and Littbarski, I would pay good money to watch that in HD today.
Same can be said about Magico Gonzalez, amazing footballer back in the days, but he was more concerned in entertaining the fans than in the result.

There is AI software to upscale digital video content, but the results are mixed. You can give it a try.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Seeing Ibra's goal in the Eredivisie again, reminded me of this goal by Mousa Dembele.

Easy to forget how good he was at that before he got turned into a central midfielder.
He was phenomenally talented. I can't remember which season it was, but he had an almost unheard of dribbling completion (with a sizeable amount attempted) during one of his Spurs CM years. Obviously different to doing it further up the pitch, but he was so good at progressing the ball for that Tottenham side, I remember him coming to the liberty and Swansea never getting close to stopping him. I also saw a clip where the Belgium players were interviewed during one of the international tournaments about who they'd pick first for a 5 a side game, and he was constantly the top pick.

Such threads are so stupid. As if it's possible to compare players across generations.
I genuinely forgot this was mine. :lol:
:lol:

Bobski

Baggio was a beautiful dribbler, not seen him mentioned in this thread(apologies if incorrect) but he was a special talent, super quick running with the ball before his injuries piled up and then late career dropping deep Baggio looks uncannily like Scholes in some elements of his play.

Laudrup is a great mention as well, gorgeous footballer. A guy like Laudrup is why I think inane shite like top 10 lists and GOAT nonsense is so pointless, football has just far too much depth of talent historically, he probably wouldn't get a mention, but he loses very little to guys like Cruyff, Platini, Gullit, Iniesta and Zidane.

A great thing about this thread is just how many different styles have been mentioned.

Last edited:

Frank Grimes

Baggio was a beautiful dribbler, not seem him mentioned in this thread(apologies if incorrect) but he was a special talent, super quick running with the ball before his injuries piled up and then late career dropping deep Baggio looks uncannily like Scholes in some elements of his play.

Laudrup is a great mention as well, gorgeous footballer.

A great thing about this thread is just how many different styles have been mentioned.
Baggio was sublime. His goal v Czechoslovakia in Italia 90 was a thing of beauty.

Varun

Staff
Of the ones I've watched enough of,

Most effective - Messi
Effective but less so + amazing to watch - Ronaldinho

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Baggio was a beautiful dribbler, not seen him mentioned in this thread(apologies if incorrect) but he was a special talent, super quick running with the ball before his injuries piled up and then late career dropping deep Baggio looks uncannily like Scholes in some elements of his play.

Laudrup is a great mention as well, gorgeous footballer. A guy like Laudrup is why I think inane shite like top 10 lists and GOAT nonsense is so pointless, football has just far too much depth of talent historically, he probably wouldn't get a mention, but he loses very little to guys like Cruyff, Platini, Gullit, Iniesta and Zidane.

Some managers and players consider peak Roberto Baggio as one of the best players of the history of the sport, and that says a lot.

Bobski

Some managers and players consider peak Roberto Baggio as one of the best players of the history of the sport, and that says a lot.
He was an incredible player. I think because his career was so long and because he was so good for so long that the late career version becomes almost the residual image of the player for many and they forget just how electrifying the prime version was. It is always shocking to me just how quick and physically dynamic young Baggio was whenever I see a career highlights package, far superior to guys like Del Piero or Totti.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He was an incredible player. I think because his career was so long and because he was so good for so long that the late career version becomes almost the residual image of the player for many and they forget just how electrifying the prime version was. It is always shocking to me just how quick and physically dynamic young Baggio was whenever I see a career highlights package, far superior to guys like Del Piero or Totti.
Wasn't young Del Piero a physical beast when he was young? I remember reading here that before his injury he used to be very strong and highly explosive and adapted his playstyle afterwards

Bobski

Wasn't young Del Piero a physical beast when he was young? I remember reading here that before his injury he used to be very strong and highly explosive and adapted his playstyle afterwards
He was, great acceleration, both on and off the bull and proper bull strength at times from a smaller man. Add that to his superb technique, creative passing and football brain and you had a guy with a shout to be seen as the worlds best player between 88 and 94. Constant knee injuries though.

Edit, how the hell did I read Del Piero as Baggio in the above post. Can't blame alcohol, long ass week.

Last edited: