Greatest live music performances

LoveInTheAsylum

At Fillmore East (even if cut from different dates) & S.U.N.Y. at Stonybrook both from 1971, are peerless.

Woodzy

My first thought was Pulse. Comfortably Numb specifically. Everything from the lights to the guitar solo was mind blowing.

They don't make music like they used to.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Faithless live at Glasto 2002 was one of the best live performances I've ever seen.

pillory

Mercury Rev at the Phoenix Festival in '93. I wasn't there, of course, but the first two of the following numbers were released on a single and totally blew my mind years ago.

Also, what the flying feck is this?

Tribec

I'll start because it's piss easy is widely considered the greatest live performance of the last 50 years.
What makes that so more special, is that Freddie was told not to perform as he had the flu. To produce that sort of show, whilst being that ill was special. Probably the greatest live band I ever saw....

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
For me what makes Freddy so great, was that his live performances where as good if not better than cd performances. You listen to singers now trying to perform live, and half of them sound feck all like their cd recordings. Makes you realise just how special he was considering it wasn't like he was some mundane singer with a specific vocal region.

LoveInTheAsylum

It all starts and ends here:
Great choice, great film. The Bowie at the Beeb performances of This Is Not America & Cracked Actor have always been amongst my favourites of his too. For some reason I also have a soft spot for the live version of the song for Absolute Beginners.

cinc

Yeah, I like that too, I wish I was there, but didnt win on the "Bowienet-lottery) (I was in Glastonbury two days later, but that wasnt that good compared to other Bowie gigs). I was the small concert in London that was broadcasted to cinemas around the world in 2003.

My favourite Bowie gig I've been to was either the Berlin one in 2003 or the 1995 and 99 ones in Vienna.

But Ziggy is the one period I would kill for to have lived in.

LoveInTheAsylum

Yeah, I like that too, I wish I was there, but didnt win on the "Bowienet-lottery) (I was in Glastonbury two days later, but that wasnt that good compared to other Bowie gigs). I was the small concert in London that was broadcasted to cinemas around the world in 2003.

My favourite Bowie gig I've been to was either the Berlin one in 2003 or the 1995 and 99 ones in Vienna.

But Ziggy is the one period I would kill for to have lived in.
Yeah, that's the version of Absolute Beginners I meant, sorry. I don't know why but some voice in the back of my head is always telling me that it's a song that I should hate (probably after having endured the film), but I don't. He had a great band for that, the backing singers for all those tracks are incredible.

I know the album David Live generally gets panned & agree that the Ziggy tracks are so much better in the form you posted them, but I really think it works for the few great Diamond Dogs tracks: Big Brother, 1984 & Rebel Rebel.

Hadn't heard Loving the Alien, cheers for posting. Have never seen Bowie live, would liked to have seen that Reality tour as I liked the album a lot. Have always loved Try Some, Buy Some but Harrison's vocals never sounded right. Think I prefer Bowie's to Ronnie Spector's. Sounds like you've caught some great concerts, agree that the Ziggy era was probably the time to be around.

cinc

http://minus.com/mbjUGOO496/

Questlove’s Bonnaroo Superjam featuring D’Angelo & The Soulquarians
June 9, 2012
Manchester, TN @ Bonnaroo Music Festival
Source: Schoeps mk4v > Sonosax SX-M2 > Sony M10

THE SETLIST:
Intro >
Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland) [Jimi Hendrix] (including Go Back 2 The Thing & Superman Lover [Johnny Guitar Watson] teases) >
Pride And Vanity [Ohio Players] >
Players Balling (Players Doin’ Their Own Thing) [Ohio Players]
Funky Dollar Bill [Funkadelic] >
Hit It And Quit It [Funkadelic] >
What Is And What Should Never Be [Led Zeppelin]
Babies Making Babies [Sly & The Family Stone] >
Hollywood Squares [Bootsy Collins] >
Mother’s Son [Curtis Mayfield] (including Chicken Grease tease)
Power of Soul [Band of Gypsys]
She Came In Through The Bathroom Window [The Beatles]
My Summertime Thang [The Time] >
Jam (including Fire [Ohio Players] & other teases)

THE BAND:
Questlove – drums (The Roots)
Kirk Douglas – guitar (The Roots)
James Poyser – keys (The Roots)
Frank Knuckles – percussion (The Roots)
Pino Palladino – bass (D'Angelo, Soulquarians, The Who, etc.)
Eric Leeds – saxophone (Prince)
Jesse Johnson – guitar (The Time)
Kendra Foster – vocals (Parliament/Funkadelics)
D’Angelo – vocals, guitar, keys

sammymc

I'll start because it's piss easy is widely considered the greatest live performance of the last 50 years.
widely considered? by fecking whom? my hole...

ok Ill give you it was probably the best of the slots on that particular day...and it was on the telly everywhere so lots remember it as a highlight of that day..they did the songs that would get the crowd going (hammer to fall though...jesus..awful) which looked particularly good with radio gaga. but the greatest live performance since 1962? dont be fecking silly...how would you even start to quantify that.

bloody queen fans always have to overstate things...it was good...but come on to feck...wise up.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes

4 hours 37 minutes, aged 62. Bow down folks, this is the Boss.