Greatest PL teenagers of all time (your top 5)?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Giggs
Rooney
Ronaldo
Owen
Fowler
Phil Jones

tomaldinho1

Rooney for me hands down. At 16 was levels above anyone, shame he didn’t have Ronaldo’s mindset.

Whatever happened that Reece Oxford bloke who played when he was 16?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I think a shortlist is quite easy:

Nicholas Anelka

Cesc Fabregas

Robbie Fowler

Michael Owen

Wayne Rooney

Giggs the hardest to omit. Making a top 5 or 3 from these is difficult, though.
Would Ronaldo not count? He was still only about 20 when he started hitting serious form at Man. united, could be wrong on that though.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Giggs
Rooney
Ronaldo
Owen
Fowler
Phil Jones
Sky invented football in 92, so Giggs is excluded

Would Ronaldo not count? He was still only about 20 when he started hitting serious form at Man. united, could be wrong on that though.
He was very inconsistent for the first 2.5 years of his United career. Even in his great form leading up to the 06' WC, no one on here predicted the trajectory his career would take afterwards.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Fowler and Owen were incredible at young ages. Heskey was pretty decent too, debuted at 18. McManaman was aswell.

Giggs of course. Fabregas. Joe Cole.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Sky invented football in 92, so Giggs is excluded

He was very inconsistent for the first 2.5 years of his United career. Even in his great form leading up to the 06' WC, no one on here predicted the trajectory his career would take afterwards.
Ah just checked.....nearly 22 when he had this breakout elite season in 06/07.

Still Milner was about 24 when he won YPOTY once. :lol:

ROFLUTION

Messi
Ronaldo (R9)
Rooney
Giggs
Owen

for me.. how come Messi isn't mentioned in here? Debuted as 17 years or something, and scored a hattrick against Real Madrid at the age of 18 or something no?

Edit.. Ahh, PL only. Rooney, Giggs, Owen, Fowler, Ronaldo for me then.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Rashford had quite a big impact from when he scored those two goals v Arsenal in 15/16, surprised he hasn't been mentioned although probably not top 5.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I remember for a couple of months Clichy looked like the best LB in the league.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
  • Premier League: Cesc Fàbregas, Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen, Robbie Fowler and Ryan Giggs.
  • First Division: Tommy Lawton, Jimmy Greaves, George Best, Dixie Dean and Duncan Edwards.
  • La Liga / Copa del Rey: Raúl González, Paulino Alcántara, Lionel Messi, Julen Guerrero and Sergio Agüero,
  • Serie A (and its predecessors): Felice Borel, Paolo Maldini, Giuseppe Meazza, Gianni Rivera and Giampiero Boniperti.
  • Overall: Pelé, Pedro Petrone, Diego Maradona, Fenômeno and Johan Cruyff.

SAFMUTD

Whatever happened that Reece Oxford bloke who played when he was 16?
Never really took off, was sold to Augsburg on the cheap after multiple failed loans. He's a starter for them, but never reached out the levels he was supposed to.

GL21

The Rooney threads are quite lively and bring back memories of the teenage force of nature he was, but! Does that put him in the top spot in terms of teenage PL sensations?

Could a mod please do a poll?

Please let me know if there is someone I've missed who can usurp yhese contenders? And remember, this is what these players have done up to their 20th birthday, whether they fell off a cliff or went on to be legends of the game post 20th birthday is absolutely irrelevant.

Players:

Nicholas Anelka

Joe Cole

Jermaine Defoe

Steven Gerrard

Ryan Giggs

Mason Greenwood

Cesc Fabregas

Rio Ferdinand

Phil Foden

Robbie Fowler

Francis Jeffers

Michael Owen

Cristiano Ronaldo

Micah Richards

Wayne Rooney

Alan Smith
What a cracking thread to think about...Rooney, Owen ( Yea was world cup and I'm irish, so aside from secretly supporting the United based players, I wasn't supporting England, but my God wasn't that boy only 18 when he ripped apart a world class Argentina), Fowler, fabregas and 'le sulk'

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Top four is pretty easy

Fowler Owen Rooney and fabregas

5th is harder. Giggs Anelka Gerrard Ronaldo are all good choices.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Milner, Shaw, Joe Cole, Ferdinand, Micaand Barry just to throw some more names in the mix.

You could argue about their careers all you want, but all of them had at least full seasons as teenagers and looked like they could be massive stars.

I remember thinking the likes of Milner, Cole and Richards were going to be very special. The fact that they ended up being Mr Plain and Dependable, never really reaching their true potential, or just fading away, doesn’t detract from the fact that they were in the same group as the megastars mentioned at that age.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Top levels as a teenager playing in prem...

Ronaldo

Owen

Cesc

Rooney

Fowler

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Milner, Shaw, Joe Cole, Ferdinand, Micaand Barry just to throw some more names in the mix.

You could argue about their careers all you want, but all of them had at least full seasons as teenagers and looked like they could be massive stars.

I remember thinking the likes of Milner, Cole and Richards were going to be very special. The fact that they ended up being Mr Plain and Dependable, never really reaching their true potential, or just fading away, doesn’t detract from the fact that they were in the same group as the megastars mentioned at that age.
Think Joe Cole was the most hyped of all the teenagers in the Premier League. We'd heard of him for years before making his debut at 16. He had a very good career but it feels like he almost underwhelmed given the hype around him.

GL21

Good career but oul Robbie Keane probably never exceeded what was expected of him following being Britain's most expensive teenager in 1999

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I feel people might be over rating fowler a bit
Don't get me wrong he was great but top 5? I don't know

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Think the top 5 is fairly clear - Rooney, Fabregas, Giggs, Fowler and Owen. Interestingly they all peaked very early in their career and only Giggs aged well.

Think Joe Cole was the most hyped of all the teenagers in the Premier League. We'd heard of him for years before making his debut at 16. He had a very good career but it feels like he almost underwhelmed given the hype around him.
Yeah. Certainly the highest rated at 15/16 I can remember.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think he just wasn’t consistent enough, whether that was a case of mentality or dedication, or even football intelligence, who knows!

I remember seeing flashes from him and thought he was going to be really special. He did have a good career in the end, but like so many, maybe not the career his natural ability dictated that he should have.

TwoSheds

Top four is pretty easy

Fowler Owen Rooney and fabregas

5th is harder. Giggs Anelka Gerrard Ronaldo are all good choices.
When Giggs was 18 he got 13 goals and 7 assists from 38 Premier League games from left wing. He's number 1, never mind your 5th choice.

GL21

How is Anelka being left out in the cold like this?
I'm with you here but as I'm a newbie my post is being moderated since 4 hours ago. Anelka was frightening as a teenager, always finished hard and low. hes one in particular i remember thinking I wish we had him. Never truly matched his incredible expectations from then.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
IIRC Joe Cole had just had a real breakout season at Chelsea and then went of to international duty and got injured. He was never the same after. He was showing signs of absolute brilliance before that though.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
When Giggs was 18 he got 13 goals and 7 assists from 38 Premier League games from left wing. He's number 1, never mind your 5th choice.
He turned 20 in November of that season. Not disputing his inclusion in your list, just giving context.

TwoSheds

He turned 20 in November of that season. Not disputing his inclusion in your list, just giving context.
A very fair point. I forgot about the 2 years he played before football existed :lol: