Greenwood and Foden kicked out of England squad for bringing girls into hotel room

Red For Ever

Presume the clubs will Covid test them both, so just hope they are negative.
There needs to be some sort of limit on the rules a group can put upon an individual though, especially when that group has a monopoly on the sort of thing you do (it's not like he can pick another England team). They've been in different forms of bubbles for how long now, half a year? And in an extremely controlled environment since they were young teenagers, or even before that. Being a professional footballer shouldn't mean you can't have a private life whatsoever. The problem here is COVID, and there's no alternative to sending them home now, but something has to give at some point in one's life.

I certainly wouldn't have joined a group of grown men that forbid me to meet woman when I was 18 or 20. Nor would I today.

Its nothing to do with having a private life ( Or not ) at all.

They broke the Quarantine rules that apply in Iceland, and the rules that apply when being part of the England team.
Either follow the rules of the host country and the team you are playing for, or stay at home, they had a choice,
it was not an optional condition of them being selected.

Other visitors arriving in Iceland are fined for breaking Quarantine

Most of the recent infections in Iceland are because of foreign visitors breaking quarantine, and they have recently tightened up rules to combat the problem.
Those rules also apply to all England players irrespective of age, they are not a special case, although some seem to think they are.

Iceland is rightly annoyed that England players deliberately took no notice of the rules designed to protect the Icelandic people.

At the same time, I can't help wondering why the England team management did not have more in place to prevent something like this

Last edited:

Rolaholic

I think one of our players could literally murder a child and there would be people on here defending them. It's just incredible.

I get you're supporters but it's OKAY to admit that sometimes, even our squad of angels do things that are objectively wrong.

Mason and Foden are idiots. They should be punished and reprimanded. They could have infected not only the England squad (causing a forfeit, completely new squad or even death, it's an actual pandemic ffs) but also brought it back to Manchester and caused us or City to lose players for the opener. Put your blinders off.
Seriously?

The vast majority of the ones who don't think they need to be tarred and feathered over this still acknowledge that it was dumb. Just don't see the need to take it to the extremes and make it out to be more than what it is

Last edited:

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I think one of our players could literally murder a child and there would be people on here defending them. It's just incredible.

I get you're supporters but it's OKAY to admit that sometimes, even our squad of angels do things that are objectively wrong.

Mason and Foden are idiots. They should be punished and reprimanded. They could have infected not only the England squad (causing a forfeit, completely new squad or even death, it's an actual pandemic ffs) but also brought it back to Manchester and caused us or City to lose players for the opener. Put your blinders off.
I havent seen many say what they did wasnt wrong, just that its understandable too. If they were both veteran first team players who aren't in their hormone driven prime Id expect many would come down a lot harder on them for their decision making.

The biggest thing is the breaking of Covid rules. Endangering people's health and breaking another country's rules is the big part. Not the girls part based on what we know so far, but human nature is flawed - especially at their age.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Me and my family were in shielding for many months on account of my 4 year old daughter and her life shortening illness, and even I can still think about this rationally. He's 18 years old FFS. He make a mistake. Drop the Mary Sue bullshit will ya?
Have you ever written a post, without telling another poster what to do?

Andy_Cole

Were they sharing a room?

They of course should be blamed. But this is poor management. Why are they not sharing a room with elder players.

reelworld

Me and my family were in shielding for many months on account of my 4 year old daughter and her life shortening illness, and even I can still think about this rationally. He's 18 years old FFS. He make a mistake. Drop the Mary Sue bullshit will ya?
wait, did the fact that he's 18 means he's immune to covid?

Abizzz

:lol:

he wasn’t forced to go. Jeez man, there’s rules for the group, there’s rules for the country. They were both broken. Not everything is about fighting for freedom
What are you on about? You are generally not allowed to bring random women/men in a camp just to have sex and if you can't respect that simple rule for 10 days then you may have an issue.
Yeah and if everyone had always followed the rules to the book we'd still have the first rules ever made up.
May I also suggest that it's those who want to regulate young peoples sexual lives who have an issue?

The more I think about the more I think this is bull shit. We would have seen players thrown out of national team setups left right and center if meeting someone outside the bubble resulted in that.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Surely one of the senior members of the squad would have known about this and tried to stop it/talk some sense into them?

Fecking morons. Real shame but hopefully they can learn from this.
Maguire....oh wait nice one southgate.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
What’s the obsession with having another guy in the room when you’re with a girl.
Exhibitionism? Group sex (if the other guy joins in eventually)? Who knows.

But the question for me would rather be, why in the name of Satan and his mother would anyone remotely famous document...anything that is potentially controversial? Or engage in any activity that is obviously/blatantly being documented by someone else? Just...why?

In some cases you might actually want a "sex tape" to be "leaked" - because it will boost your fame. I get that. But in cases like this, the answer is pretty obvious, isn't it? The people involved are feckin' idiots. And there you have it.

They engage in default behaviour (documenting whatever you do, or letting someone else document it, on your/their phone - which is what people do these days) - and fail to stop behaving per default when it matters (the sign of an idiot).

Abizzz

Its nothing to do with having a private life ( Or not ) at all.

They broke the Quarantine rules that apply in Iceland, and the rules that apply when being part of the England team.
Either follow the rules of the host country and the team you are playing for, or stay at home, they had a choice,
it was not an optional condition of them being selected.

Other visitors arriving in Iceland are fined for breaking Quarantine

Most of the recent infections in Iceland are because of foreign visitors breaking quarantine, and they have recently tightened up rules to combat the problem.
Those rules also apply to all England players irrespective of age, they are not a special case, although some seem to think they are.

Iceland is rightly annoyed that England players deliberately took no notice of the rules designed to protect the Icelandic people.

At the same time, I can't help wondering why the England team management did not have more in place to prevent something like this
I did say I have no problem with them being sent home now. It's the moralising and calling for them to get some sort of ban or even dropped by their clubs that I find disturbing. Let them pay whatever fine Iceland has set for their offense and let it be.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Yeah and if everyone had always followed the rules to the book we'd still have the first rules ever made up.
May I also suggest that it's those who want to regulate young peoples sexual lives who have an issue?

The more I think about the more I think this is bull shit. We would have seen players thrown out of national team setups left right and center if meeting someone outside the bubble resulted in that.
I think you are confusing two very different issues. No one has ever tried to 'regulate' footballers' sex lives. What they do after games and training n their not so private lives is up to them and they take the consequences of that. However these two were working and as such are bound by professional responsibility. They knew that the moment they entered the international fray with a boss like Southgate that everything is up for scrutiny. Now it's not the worst crime they could have committed and given that a kid similar in age was arrested for shooting another kid in Suffolk, it should put their transgression into perspective. But please for heaven's sake stop making them out to be some sort of victims to puritanical forces.

90 + 5min

Our players doesn't seem to get any good headlines these days.

Greenwood should apologise to whole squad. Absolute unprofessional. He gets the chance and ruins it. I would ban him and Foden at least 2-3 games.

Amerifan

Stupid. I’m surprised the girls went with them knowing the rules. Four adults, zero common sense.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Wait you think that you can do whatever you want in your work place? And you think that people aren't sanctioned when they don't follow rules?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Have you ever written a post, without telling another poster what to do?
Yes. Have you ever written a post that didn't drip with sanctimonious horseshit? No don't answer that, we both know what the answer is.

red4ever 79

Very poor judgement from them. As someone stated above, I cannot understand why two young lads are not sharing a room with a more experienced player. I am sure Ole will be fuming. Just reflects poorly on the lad. Utd need to make sure he is not getting distracted from his football.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Our players doesn't seem to get any good headlines these days.

Greenwood should apologise to whole squad. Absolute unprofessional. He gets the chance and ruins it. I would ban him and Foden at least 2-3 games.
It'll be longer given the media shit storm it's created in this climate. Piers Morgan and the media in general are having a fecking field day, and sadly Southgate will be pressured into giving them a wider suspension than 2-3 games.

Sent back down to the U21s would not be a bad start. See how they react.

Abizzz

Wait you think that you can do whatever you want in your work place? And you think that people aren't sanctioned when they don't follow rules?
I can. I only need to make sure that I bring in enough € every month. Outside of that I need to follow the law, pay my taxes and take care of myself. There is no need to join a cult for me. And if someone wanted to hire me for the same activity he couldn't pay me enough to agree not to feck around.

Life's too short for that nonsense.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
There's only really one question that needs to be asked on this. What was Sterling doing while all this was happening?

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I understand people saying they are young and made a mistake, but at the same time it's a serious lack of professionalism and extremely foolish. They are away with the national team (first call ups I think?) for a period of a week or so, there is a worldwide pandemic and they are asked to stick to guidelines for the well being of not only themselves, but literally everyone else too. They are 18 and 20, not 14/15.

Not arsed at all about them having lasses into their room, couldn't care less about that. But to go against strict guidelines in place for everyone and knowing what has been going on in the world for 6 months now, it really is stupid to do this. Can imagine both the England set up and United being really disappointed in both of them.

SER19

It makes me very concerned about his attitude to be honest.

There's not many world class footballers around who got there by prioritising a random shag over one of the biggest career opportunities of their life.

I can't imagine Ole and the club will exactly be happy. It's embarassing for the club and damaging/worrying in terms of squad discipline, because younger players are generally heavily influenced by the older ones.

Sanchez's interview does seem to ring a bit too true with our players. Ole's weeded out a lot of the idiocy but you can only imagine how much of it there must have been for this shite to still be happening.
Absolutely right.

When you think back on stories of united players on England duty under Ferguson too, where supposedly they had their own united bubble, makes you wonder about Greenwood going shagging with a city opponent.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I did say I have no problem with them being sent home now. It's the moralising and calling for them to get some sort of ban or even dropped by their clubs that I find disturbing. Let them pay whatever fine Iceland has set for their offense and let it be.
Weird but that isn’t even close to what the issue here is for me. Young people breaking COVID social distancing I totally understand. My problem is they’re at work. The only reason games are allowed is because of the strict social bubbles that must be adhered to. They will have been told about all this when called up. However, they appear to think they are above these rules at 18/20 years old on their first call up. They have broken these rules putting the game at risk and showing a total lack of discipline and professionalism. They rightly won’t be called back up for quite some time. The fact it was sex related whilst making it somewhat amusing is completely irrelevant to what’s gone on. I couldn’t care less about their personal lives, they can cheat on who they want, that isn’t the issue here. Their sense of entitlement and respect for authority is the problem.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
She ain't even that hot.