Greenwood or Martinelli

Newman123

Supports
Arsenal
How have you worked that out?
Martinelli rarely gets to play with who he has infront of him. He's basically directly competing with Aubamayang who I dont see even Greenwood displacing. Whenever he has started or come on for us he normally does the business by either scoring or being involved. I think he's been correctly managed for his first season in a top league but watching him compared to our other players he stands out in his positioning, drive and finishing.

It'll be a good battle to watch but Klopp has called him a talent of the century with Ronaldinho comparing him to R9 and saying he'll be watching with interest. Hopefully Injuries dont ruin him as typical with Arsenal players.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
They are both exceptionally good talents, I really like the look of Martinelli, but it seems Arteta hasn't been picking him of late, maybe its injuries.

Martinelli really comes alive in the box.

Greenwood seems better technically to me but who knows how are they will both go. Will be fun watching them develop.

Newman123

Supports
Arsenal

Utdstar01

Lets be honest. If Martinelli turns out any good he'll probably be fecking off to Real or Barcelona in 2 years time. Before he got injured, Arteta wasn't playing him in a terrible Arsenal team which is strange itself.

Newman123

Supports
Arsenal
They are both exceptionally good talents, I really like the look of Martinelli, but it seems Arteta hasn't been picking him of late, maybe its injuries.

Martinelli really comes alive in the box.

Greenwood seems better technically to me but who knows how are they will both go. Will be fun watching them develop.
Yeah he's directly in competition with Auba for the left wing. Dont know why he isnt playing through the middle.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/mason-greenwood/leistungsdaten/spieler/532826

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/gabriel-martinelli/leistungsdaten/spieler/655488

Greenwood has more "professional" appearances but both look tidy. Just impressed a kid from Brazil 4th league could adapt to the Prem so quick.

Greenwood: 42 App 15G 5A

Martinelli: 26A 10G 4A
What about touch, technique, hold up play, dribbling and ability to play with either foot?

I don't know enough about Martinelli but it would be great to hear your thoughts on the above.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Lets be honest. If Martinelli turns out any good he'll probably be fecking off to Real or Barcelona in 2 years time. Before he got injured, Arteta wasn't playing him in a terrible Arsenal team which is strange itself.
Could he have been one of the Arsenal players that had to isolate and because of that was behind in match sharpness?

That's the only reason I can think off as to why he wasn't playing and Nketiah was.

cyberman

Could he have been one of the Arsenal players that had to isolate and because of that was behind in match sharpness?

That's the only reason I can think off as to why he wasn't playing and Nketiah was.
Rumour is he and Ozil refused a wage cut and was punished for it.
Taking from AFTV but there were 2 players who refused and haven't seen the pitch since (i know hes injured)

romufc

BristolRuss

I reckon Martinelli will probably have a better season than Greenwood next season. That is if both are played regularly.
Greenwood has a goal every 141 minutes in the PL, Martinelli is every 219. In the Europa league Greenwood has one every 92 minutes, Martinelli is every 141.

Martinelli is a talent for sure. But right now Greenwood is performing better and is younger.

Martinelli looks like one of many South American talents who like to dribble and look good on the ball but need to develop in a lot of other areas. A lot of them dont and eventually fade to nothing and finish their careers in a second or third tier league somewhere. Maybe he will be one of the ones that do make it but the R9 comparisons are daft, hes nowhere near that.

Greenwood possibly has a lower potential ceiling but he looks absolutely guaranteed to be a career-long PL player.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Martinelli looks like one of many South American talents who like to dribble and look good on the ball but need to develop in a lot of other areas. A lot of them dont and eventually fade to nothing and finish their careers in a second or third tier league somewhere. Maybe he will be one of the ones that do make it but the R9 comparisons are daft, hes nowhere near that.

Greenwood possibly has a lower potential ceiling but he looks absolutely guaranteed to be a career-long PL player.
He really doesn't.

romufc

He really doesn't.
Its weird how people can say such things, just because Martinelli is Brazilian.

The likes of Greenwood, Sancho, Foden are all talents that can reach a very good level. We have not even seen 20% of Greenwoods ability yet.

Handré1990

Doesn't what?
Have a potentially lower ceiling. Unless you’re entering into a philosophical debate where everything’s possible. I’ve not seen enough of Martinelli, but Greenwood really doesn’t have any weaknesses in his game, and a couple of standout qualities which are very rare (two equally good feet and one of the quickest shots I’ve ever seen). Martinelli has to be Mbappé or R9 quality if he has a potentially higher ceiling.

-Supreme-

The comparison reminds me of Ronaldo Vs Reyes

No doubt this will turn out the same way :D

Gasolin

Greenwood actually looks miles better to be perfectly honest.
Greenwood has more the RVP finishing and I think his conduct of the ball is better, but it looks like Martinelli has a lot of drive and can force some errors from the opponents. I don't know to be honest.

Have a potentially lower ceiling. Unless you’re entering into a philosophical debate where everything’s possible. I’ve not seen enough of Martinelli, but Greenwood really doesn’t have any weaknesses in his game, and a couple of standout qualities which are very rare (two equally good feet and one of the quickest shots I’ve ever seen). Martinelli has to be Mbappé or R9 quality if he has a potentially higher ceiling.
Martinelli has quicker feet and more agility. Just his body shape, but it's the perfect starting point. Almost all the very best players have that. Greenwood looks further along in every other aspect though.

Handré1990

Martinelli has quicker feet and more agility. Just his body shape, but it's the perfect starting point. Almost all the very best players have that. Greenwood looks further along in every other aspect though.
From the handful of matches I’ve seen of him that’s probably accurate. However, and this is a big one, Greenwood already looks like a complete player (I’m not saying he is, yet) in his decision making and understanding of the different aspects of play, that’s something very rare in an 18yo. Look at his stats for completed passes since the league restarted, it’s actually quite mad for any attacking player, and he certaintly isn’t playing it safe anymore. Having also watched him quite a bit while in our academy I think it’s safe to say there’s a lot more to come.

NYAS

One of the weirdest sentences I’ve ever read on this forum. I’m not sure how anyone can watch what Greenwood does, acknowledge his age, and then say he possibly has a “lower potential ceiling” than any other player in the world.

SAFMUTD

If I had to choose between the two Id choose Greenwood by a fair margin.

Both are great talents, Martinelli is faster and has supperior dribbling and has performed way better than anyone could had expected. the jump from Brazilian 4th division directly to the premier league is huge and he has surprised a lot of us. I think he can be a really good player.

Now after saying that I think Greenwood can be a generational player, he is a stiker and has given solid performances as a right winger. He has the calmness and is overachieving his xG times 2 that just speaks at how composed he is about finishing thats a really special quality. Even if he didnt had all the other attributes the finishing alone could make him a really valuable member for any top side.

At the moment a clinical strikers are more valuable than a tricky wingers, almost all the top ones are aging Lewandowski, Aguero, Suarez, Vardy. While there are lots and lots of good wingers.

One of the weirdest sentences I’ve ever read on this forum. I’m not sure how anyone can watch what Greenwood does, acknowledge his age, and then say he possibly has a “lower potential ceiling” than any other player in the world.
What do you think scouts and youth coaches do? They look at the attributes young players have and work out what they could become.

BlahRules

Greenwood has more the RVP finishing and I think his conduct of the ball is better, but it looks like Martinelli has a lot of drive and can force some errors from the opponents. I don't know to be honest.
Kante failed to realise that Brazilians also have bad touch and slipped to allow him score. Martinelli has not done anything of note in the Premier League to receive this hype.

Apart from Martinelli scoring agaisnt Chelsea, has he scored agaisnt any other strong team?

Greenwood has performed well in the Premier League and European competition and majority of his goals was due to his brilliance.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
greenwood is an anomaly. He is ambidextrous with vision and finishing ability. That alone puts most people compared with him at a serious disadvantage from the outset. I think Greenwood is the better talent. But both in my opinion are high end talents for their age bracket. It will be nice to see if they fulfill their undoubted potential.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Greenwood will break Rooney's United and England records

NYAS

What do you think scouts and youth coaches do? They look at the attributes young players have and work out what they could become.
Sure; I highly doubt any of them come to the conclusion you did though.

It feels very strange arguing this point as I’m usually the driver of the bandwagon when it comes to young Brazilian talents, but just can’t see how you hold that opinion.

I’m interested in knowing how you would compare Haaland’s potential with Martinelli’s. Surely you don’t believe that Haaland has quicker feet and is more agile. So would you say Martinelli’s potential ceiling is higher than Haaland’s as well?

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Ok fine. You win this one. :lol:

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
I like Martinelli, but your Greendwood is something else.