Greenwood (Out) - signs for Getafe on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Interesting enough to see what clubs find him palatable and what price he will go for.

Expecting ten offers according to the Telegraph.

Lots of Saudi links too.

My guess is £15M to Basaksehir based on sweet feck all.

Last edited:

the_cliff

I've seen news from Custis that Gerrards Saudi team is also interested.

Please keep this about the transfer you wanna discuss other stuff there's another thread for that...

Kramer

I have a strong feeling we may do a loan with maybe an option to buy at a high price.

1) We want to maximize his sale value. And he needs to get back to fitness and prove his worth as a goal scorer for clubs to want to pay 100 M (which would easily be the his market value today)

2) It leaves the slightest possibility that he may come back in the future.

Chairman Steve

Hopefully a Saudi team comes in with a nice offer and we can reinvest it in building towards buying Kudus, who will fulfill that right side forward/striker gap Greenwood leaves.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I think they could still get a decent fee for him. I think he was a potentially fantastic player set to go on to big things, but his footballing ability has definitely been inflated in his absence.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don’t think any club outside of Saudi will pay a transfer fee for a player who hasn’t played any professional football or even trained with a club for over 18 months. I imagine they’ll all sheepishly pop their head in for a loan, though… like those Italian clubs.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I think they could still get a decent fee for him. I think he was a potentially fantastic player set to go on to big things, but his footballing ability has definitely been inflated in his absence.
Maybe if this was announced last May. They have to move him on in 11 days. Clubs know this. He will leave for very little or for free.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Be surprised if any British team took him this summer, the backlash would be the same as what we saw when the club were going to bring him back.

As a business, loaning him with the hope of doing well and getting a good fee next year makes sense.

As a fan, just sell him and be done with it as you know that if the loan goes well, some fans positions may soften and start wanting him back.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Can't see him staying in England - he's too toxic for any team that could afford to pay him to touch.

He might be able to come back in 2 years or so, but even then the club that take him will get a lot of backlash.

Kramer

Maybe if this was announced last May. They have to move him on in 11 days. Clubs know this. He will leave for very little or for free.
We would be absolute idiots to let him leave for very little or free. No chance at all.

If we don’t get a ridiculously high offer, he will go on loan. Mark my words.

Infra-red

Clubs will obviously know that we are over a bit of a barrel with this situation and we'll therefore take more-or-less any price, so I think it is unlikely that a significant fee is achieved unless there are multiple interested parties. The "baggage" that the player comes with will also depress any prospective fee, as well as the fact he hasn't played in two years and will probably therefore be three or four months away from being ready for first team action anywhere.

I can't see him remaining in the country. United might find that a season long loan abroad (perhaps with an option to buy) is the only way to move him on in the short term. If he performs well on his loan spell, that might push up the fees on offer next summer.

the_cliff

Yeah agreed.

We have 11 days to get rid off him, it needs to happen quick. Otherwise it'll be a loan and we have to through all this malarkey again next summer.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We would be absolute idiots to let him leave for very little or free. No chance at all.

If we don’t get a ridiculously high offer, he will go on loan. Mark my words.
We've already announced we will help him find a club, ergo we want to move him out. A high fee is extremely unlikely and if the club holds out for that he won't be leaving in that case.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I’m not sure Saudi Arabia would want him, they’re building something brand new pretty much and will be very mindful of the PR involved in bringing him in.

The Saudi league has an element of sports washing to it and signing someone suspected of violent domestic abuse, whether he’s guilty or not, doesn’t fit into that.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’ve said it before, a loan would be best for getting out of dodge, improving his fitness and answering the question if he can still operate at that high level. The jury is out on that one

Cypriot

I’m not sure Saudi Arabia would want him, they’re building something brand new pretty much and will be very mindful of the PR involved in bringing him in.

The Saudi league has an element of sports washing to it and signing someone suspected of violent domestic abuse, whether he’s guilty or not, doesn’t fit into that.
I see your point, but as long as they have Cristiano Ronaldo there, there really isn't much chance of anything overshadowing his headlines.

the_cliff

That's ridiculous.
Wouldn't worry too much about that. It's just paper talk.

Greenwood was a 100 mill player, now we won't get anything near that, may not even get 20 mill anyway. Hopefully we can at least get someone in to compete with Antony in that rw position.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Can't see him staying in England - he's too toxic for any team that could afford to pay him to touch.

He might be able to come back in 2 years or so, but even then the club that take him will get a lot of backlash.
Depends if its a loan or permanent deal. For clubs needing money they could get him on the cheap, build up his form and then sell for a massive profit after a season. That would be worth an initial PR backlash, perhaps not for a PL team, but for a Championship team it could be huge. Especially if he is the difference between a team being promoted or not. You may not like it, but from a footballing perspective it's a no brainer gamble.

He was our best finisher in the squad, his all round play perhaps wasn't but round the box he was deadly. He'll go on to still have a successful career, perhaps not what he could have. But give it a few years and I imagine the PR backlash will die down. Things move fast in football.

Santos J

Ronaldo?

jadaba

I highly doubt that'd hinder a move for him if they're interested. They're getting big name players to both put their league on the map, they're not recruiting players based on the tidiness of their reputation. I mean they didn't go after Henderson because he would help them clean the public perception of their LGBTQ+ record, they got him simply because he was a big name.

Greenwood would be an ideal target for them because he represents the prospect of young players playing in that league.

miked99

Putting aside the issue of what he's done, the version of Greenwood the player that people remember doesn't exist anymore.

He's been completely isolated from football for 18 months and his development will have completely flatlined. You can't get that time back. There is no chance whatsoever he will get anywhere near the potential he once showed as a player.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Wow, that's....extreme. Nice gesture it would be but we've spent a fortune on his development and absorbing his salary since he's been suspended. Interested to see how that plays out.
Maybe Greenwood should be the one donating the £75k a week he's been earning since the news broke.

GoldanoGraham

Everything will be ‘undisclosed’ - will be buried away in the accounts under ‘exceptional costs/incone’

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I’ve said it before, a loan would be best for getting out of dodge, improving his fitness and answering the question if he can still operate at that high level. The jury is out on that one
How are the optics of us paying/part-paying his salary if he goes on loan? Who pays his wages in this instance?

Italian clubs are infamously miserly when it comes to both this and transfer fees and lower-level English clubs won’t have that kind of money either. A loan to a Saudi club might be our only option if we want Greenwood’s salary off our books entirely throughout this episode.

onemanarmy

Putting aside the issue of what he's done, the version of Greenwood the player that people remember doesn't exist anymore.

He's been completely isolated from football for 18 months and his development will have completely flatlined. You can't get that time back. There is no chance whatsoever he will get anywhere near the potential he once showed as a player.
Very much this. He missed a crucial 18 months in his development. He'll end up a decent player I think, if he has it in him mentally. But nowhere near the potential he once had.

Delano

Echo the sentiments that it'll be a loan or a deal to Saudi.

His value is pretty much nill at this moment. The only place where you may get a fee is Saudi.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Why should we do that? We are already flogging him away. We have a sunk cost in investment into the asset.
It would be very good PR considering it will be a nominal fee anyway. If he is to have a footballing career (and I hope he does) it has to be away from United and away from the cess pit that is British media. A clean break would be beneficial to both player and club.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

CM

Is this a joke?

miked99

Very much this. He missed a crucial 18 months in his development. He'll end up a decent player I think, if he has it in him mentally. But nowhere near the potential he once had.
There are some parallels with Ravel Morrison. One of the most gifted youth prospects I've ever seen. Seemed nailed on to not only make it, but potentially to become a world-class player.

But as we know, he was a dickhead. He was naturally gifted, but once you let it slip away, it's gone. He couldn't cut it anywhere in the end.

Cloud7

Saudi would be his best option I think. A league outside the eyes of mainstream football and a lower level that he can use to regain his fitness and find some sort of level again, if possible.

A year or two there and then potentially a return to European football would be a sensible course of action I think. He does have time on his side, and I would wager more clubs would be interested in him in two years than would be now.

Oranges038

He's not getting a move to an English club. He's got 0 value and zero appeal.

There will be some interest outside of that, but it's hard to see who's going to ignore the inevitable circus and take the punt on him recovering the potential ability he had.

Status
Not open for further replies.