Greenwood (Out) - signs for Getafe on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
I don't see him moving to Saudi, certainly not the PIF clubs. They have no need for him, he's just unneccesary drama and signing him would just perpetuate the stereotypes that Saudi are trying to change ('Sportswash') with their current project. Wouldn't make any sense at all really. It isn't like they are struggling to attract Prem stars.
Italian side probably the most likely I'd say.

Marauder1

Supports
Ex Liverpool.Football Agnostic
Out of interest what’s the deal with the Saudi league? I am guessing that as they are all state backed clubs, they would never get into a bidding war with each other. So it will be one Saudi club making a lowish offer rather than 2 or 3 competing for him?
Yeah, it doesn't work anything like it does in any other league. It's pretty tightly controlled who is bidding for who, even the ones outside of PIF ownership are still owned by state ventures so there are no truely private clubs as such and they want a relatively even distribution of foreign talent across the clubs. They are investing a rumoured 17b or something in the footy progamme so they are taking no chances. As mentioned above its unlikely he is going there anyway, to much potential kickback for their massive investment.

The Athletic have an article about the saudi set up: Ronaldo, Benzema, Messi and more? The overhaul of Saudi football – explained - The Athletic (disable javscript for the site to get past paywall)

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Seems this lot disagrees with it being a minor detail and internal affair

They are women and obviously don't care about our assets and profits and finances, though, so you might be right.
I don't think the club handled the Greenwood situation well overall, but this specifically is a non-issue in context. The club, as one would expect, did a stakeholder analysis and anticipated a hostile reaction from some groups if Greenwood were to be brought back in. That's all there is to it.

LARulz

I imagine a loan will be the most likely case. No club probably wants to spend money on a guy who has this much baggage currently - a loan where if he's shit/the heat gets too much they send him back is good for others

I have a sneaky feeling United probably want a loan too in case he does very well somehow and his price increases or in the unlikely event people want him back

Acquire Me

Exactly. If anyone should be giving money to charity it should be Greenwood himself. This is on him not the club.
However we handled it, good or bad, the guy is our player and we have paid him handsomely all the way and counting. If we can do a sale or loan, we get everything.

People are getting carried away to suggest anything else.

Todd

Anyone hoping that the club get a good transfer fee for this guy should keep in mind that there will be pressure for the club to donate that money to causes for domestic abuse survivors. And frankly the club should be doing that.

So don't expect to get anything in exchange for him, from a footballing perspective.

littlepeasoup

A loan is just kicking the issue down the road 6months or a year - potentially still paying some of his wages, him still being a United player in all but name. If the club really wants to draw a line under the whole affair it needs to be a permanent transfer.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I’m not sure Saudi Arabia would want him, they’re building something brand new pretty much and will be very mindful of the PR involved in bringing him in.

The Saudi league has an element of sports washing to it and signing someone suspected of violent domestic abuse, whether he’s guilty or not, doesn’t fit into that.
Don't tell them about Ronaldo then

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Anyone hoping that the club get a good transfer fee for this guy should keep in mind that there will be pressure for the club to donate that money to causes for domestic abuse survivors. And frankly the club should be doing that.

So don't expect to get anything in exchange for him, from a footballing perspective.
Don’t be silly.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

They are women and obviously don't care about our assets and profits and finances, though, so you might be right.
Adam Crafton is an idiot. Hostile is likely just corporate jargon against. He knows what he's doing by leaking that.

Red Star One

„fee to charity” is just the paper talk and way to put even more pressure on the club, especially as it seems that the top of the club is quite prone to press pressure. I always imagined he’d go to Turkey and from what I know the clubs would hardly care about his morals and past wrongdoings, so I still see this as an option

BerryBerryShrew

To the bolded: why?

100% certain our charitable heart will stop short of giving away potentially tens of millions of pounds.

Whatever we get for him, I hope we make sure there is a buy back clause in there.

tomaldinho1

I don't think there'll be that pressure given the statement from United.

klsv

Adam Crafton is an idiot. Hostile is likely just corporate jargon against. He knows what he's doing by leaking that.
We should hire him to do our PR. Club legend for what he did by forcing the u-turn.

Hughie77

Shambolic handling of the whole situation from everyone concerned from the get go.

I hope he does well whatever club he goes to.. and if there's a transfer fee , which I hope not he should be available on a free, It should go to a Charity .. of no connection with Utd at all..

Marcelinho87

Why are people expecting a fee?? He's been let go mutually, aka sacked.

The club will help him because it helps his family and we as a club have always been known to look after young players who leave but that is as far as it goes, we aren't selling him he is FREE to go elsewhere.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Just sell him for an undisclosed fee, maybe 20 million, we should immediately invest in a CM.

klsv

The club will help him because it helps his family and we as a club have always been known to look after young players who leave but that is as far as it goes, we aren't selling him he is FREE to go elsewhere.
Hope so it's true, but the statement by the club seemed so vague.

cyberman

United didn’t coin the phrase for feck sake

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

No, he's not let go yet. They've mutually agreed his future lies away from the club. He will leave, he has not left yet.

Fee is unlikely anyway unless we start getting a bidding war.

Acquire Me

We should hire him to do our PR. Club legend for what he did by forcing the u-turn.
Not a legend for me. His earning his salary for The Athletic by using the massive interest around Manchester United. It’s only about creating more clicks and views, and obviously new subscribers.

While it’s a case fans and the public are very interested in, make no mistake, the goal is earning money.

BerryBerryShrew

It'd look really bad if we profited off of this situation
Profited? Whatever we sell him for will be a fraction of his actual value. And we had to continue paying him his full salary while he was sitting on his ass for the past 1.5 years. There is no way in which we are profiting here.

That's beside the fact that the club is getting very little gratitude from the media, charities, or the general population for taking this decision - one that plenty of other clubs wouldn't have taken. If anything, the club is getting dragged through the mud worse now than it was before they took this decision. Womens Aid have literally reacted negatively to the club saying that they would react negatively if Greenwood was reintroduced! Feck 'em. Loan him out for a season and if he smashes it, sell him and reinvest.

Acquire Me

His not been released/sacked, not yet anyway. Hopefully we can get money for him.

From one of Adam Craftons articles:

"In the end, the club confirmed on Monday that they would work with the player to continue his career elsewhere and the club say they do not expect an eventuality where a loan move leads to the player representing United again in the future.

A loan move away from the club would allow United to retain commercial control of a footballer who, before his arrest in January 2022, was widely deemed to be the best young forward in English football. This would either be with a view to selling Greenwood further down the line if he can restore his value on the field, or, hypothetically, to one day bring him back to Old Trafford, but the club insist they do not expect this to happen"

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The club did a standard stakeholder analysis and comms plan to numerous potential outcomes using the standard terms for that documentation. It was then leaked to a journalist who reported without context implying they were somehow using the term “hostile” in a derogatory fashion and people are now unable to look past headlines and understand nuance.
Why do you think it got leaked though? Probably because it was simplifying a complex problem in a shitty binary model. Most stakeholder mapping is done on a quadrant anyway, in terms of interest and influence. Hardly a well thought out comms plan if you were either for or against, domestic violence charities came out on the side of against and they still came to the decision that they were going to bring him back - can't envision any PR issues there, can you?

Oranges038

Profited? Whatever we sell him for will be a fraction of his actual value. And we had to continue paying him his full salary while he was sitting on his ass for the past 1.5 years. There is no way in which we are profiting here.

That's beside the fact that the club is getting very little gratitude from the media, charities, or the general population for taking this decision - one that plenty of other clubs wouldn't have taken. If anything, the club is getting dragged through the mud worse now than it was before they took this decision. Womens Aid have literally reacted negatively to the club saying that they would react negatively if Greenwood was reintroduced! Feck 'em. Loan him out for a season and if he smashes it, sell him and reinvest.
I actually find that quite funny.

It's so fecking pathetic.

redom

Why are clubs going to offer us a transfer fee if we're just going to let him go for nothing at the end of the window anyway? Am I missing something?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Why are clubs going to offer us a transfer fee if we're just going to let him go for nothing at the end of the window anyway? Am I missing something?
Because multiple clubs will probably want him, so there is a chance of a bidding war to get some small fee

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It got leaked because someone at the club wanted to reverse the decision that was being made and it made Arnold and the club look bad. Fairly simple stuff really isn’t it?
It got leaked because it's a shit process and decision. All the leak did was present to the public the decision and the process, the reaction is natural to such a poorly handled situation. If it was a sound and well thought out plan, why would leaking it be a problem and mean they have to roll back on it?

redom

Because multiple clubs will probably want him, so there is a chance of a bidding war to get some small fee
But surely putting any of that small fee towards wages is going to be more beneficial to swaying the player at this point of the window.

Acquire Me

Where did you read that we are going to release him for free? Not one credible source has said that and the statement says nothing about it.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Seeing as he hasn’t kicked a ball in 18 months and comes with bagage, I think a loan with an option to buy is the most likely scenario.

Where to is anyone’s guess.

redom

Where did you read that we are going to release him for free? Not one credible source has said that and the statement says nothing about it.
Just saw a post in the tweets thread where someone mentioned it. To be honest I wouldn't expect it to be true because like I said it seems to remove any chance of the club striking a deal before the deadline at this point.

edit: read the MEN article and it was a somewhat throwaway line at the end so probably just speculation on their part I guess.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
It got leaked because it's a shit process and decision. All the leak did was present to the public the decision and the process, the reaction is natural to such a poorly handled situation. If it was a sound and well thought out plan, why would leaking it be a problem and mean they have to roll back on it?
Selective parts of the plan along with the decision were leaked. Some people at the club thought it was a shit plan and/or decision, leaked selective elements of the plan to a journalist with an agenda to stop the club bringing Greenwood back. You can agree with the decision and still realise that maybe the athletic and their sources only told the bits of the story to suit the narrative they were trying to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.