Grenfell Tower Fire | 14th June 2017

pauldyson1uk

London fire – Grim task of removing bodies from Grenfell Tower begins as it’s claimed no one on top three floors survived deadly London inferno and dozens of missing residents are feared dead

Horrifying reports are now emerging that it is possible that anyone living on the top three floors died in the fire.

A local community leader said they are working with a missing list of "possibly hundreds" of residents.

The committee member, who asked not to be named, said: "I have been told that anyone past the 21st floor did not make it.

"The firefighters told them to stay where they were.

"There is a family of three who live quite high up, a heavily pregnant wife, husband and two little girls aged ten and 11."

Bury Red

Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!
You cant imagine the horror those faces have seen, they will also need help when this is over.
They really won't, they have their own coping mechanisms and don't deal with stress the way most of society does. Part of it is black humour and a thick skin but the majority of it is a self taught ability to compartmentalise what they see and do so that it does not weigh on them.

RedTiger

Half mast
If anyone in London wants to help,

Human Aid UK
West London Fire Emergency Appeal

We will be collecting the following items to help the people who have been effected by the fire in Latimer Road. These people have lost everything including loved ones. Some came out of the burning building with only clothes on their back. We urge you all to donate what you can to help:

1. Blankets
2. Childrens clothes and shoes
3. Adult men and women clothes shoes
4. Toileteries for men and women and children e.g toothbrush and paste, shower gels etc
5. Food e.g biscuits cereal bars tinned food
6. Money which will be used to help the families get back on their feet.

East london drop point:

Skyrose LTD
Human Aid Warehouse
Pinchin Street
London E1 1SD

Contact no. 07599042478

Human Aid UK
Charity No. 1138111

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Was just watching the news and the guy said that there were apparently around 1000 of people living in that building despite it being designed for 600? Is that true or did he get it wrong ?

Neutral

BTV
Was just watching the news and the guy said that there were apparently around 1000 of people living in that building despite it being designed for 600? Is that true or did he get it wrong ?
1000 is more than likely an extreme number. But, I can easily imagine people sub-letting their apartments and there being multiple families in the same apartment

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
1000 is more than likely an extreme number. But, I can easily imagine people sub-letting their apartments and there being multiple families in the same apartment
They come down quite strong on that, you lose your property if they find out

Neutral

BTV
They come down quite strong on that, you lose your property if they find out
I've seen low income housing in Virginia - and the realtors/management companies are tough here too...but, people still do it. I imagine, it won't be any different in London.

People housing cousins/relatives from back home - or renting out a room to some student to help with the rent.

Utdstar01

Horrendous. I can't begin to imagine.

Around 600 people thought to live there, mostly families with upto 3 kids.

Estimated figures suggesting 60 rescued, 50 hospitalized. 12 dead. The other 480...

I just..hope I'm wrong.
Yep it's really not looking good :(

NinjaFletch

Horrendous. I can't begin to imagine.

Around 600 people thought to live there, mostly families with upto 3 kids.

Estimated figures suggesting 60 rescued, 50 hospitalized. 12 dead. The other 480...

I just..hope I'm wrong.
It was 60 rescued by the fire brigade. They obviously don't have a complete count of people who got out themselves, or who weren't at home etc...

BBC are saying that the firefighters have searched almost all of the building.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It was 60 rescued by the fire brigade. They obviously don't have a complete count of people who got out themselves, or who weren't at home etc...

BBC are saying that the firefighters have searched almost all of the building.
They will have searched for survivors. Once it is safe they will go in to recover the dead.

Nitsche

The Met spokesman confirmed earlier that while the LFB have reached the top floors and conducted an initial search, there will be a long, difficult and much more thorough search alongside the recovery phase in the coming hours and days.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Really wish I hadn't started reading the stories of those trying to help

Silva

reddit poster said:
I install and maintain fire systems in the London area trust me 1000 engineers woke up this morning like I did sh*tting themselves.

I know atleast 3/4 tower blocks I maintain where the fire systems are just as bad and nothing has been done to fix them. Death traps waiting to happen.

Edit- I will add as this got a lot of upvotes in one 9 story apartment block I maintain I have made 5 recomendations over two years and urged the landlord of the serious risk to life if a fire occured and spoke on the phone. They refuse to spend the money.

If the landlord has complied to the fire risk assessment they may get completely off with this. If the risk assessment was justified the risk assessor will walk. If the engineer did his job he will walk. There may have just been a detection system, completely legal no alarms only operating smoke vents, the cladding. Everyone may walk it will all depend. This is the governments fault regardless because this is commonplace in the uk.

Last bit of information, the average time for an average sized room to be fully consumed in a blaze has reduced from 13 minutes to 3-7 minutes due to more artificial materials in everyday househould items.

eggwithsideburns

This is horrible and so sad :( I didn't know any if the details of what happened until reading through this thread. My god it is awful and really really sad thinking of what the people trapped went though. :( :(

montpelier

OK, a source from another social media site - London based poster who has always been genuine & sensible going back years is saying that she has a family source in the Fire Service & that there are 180 people unaccounted for.

The 600 total residents figure is a bit high for me - a fair few flats would be single occupancy for a start. 150 1 bed & 2 bed flats altogether = 400ish probably? That's approximately the number of emergency services personnel involved - we aren't seeing what you'd call throngs of survivors, there are fewer than 100 in hospital is it?

Very grim.

psychdelicblues

Agree with the sentiment but it's not quite as straight forward as that.

It's not so much greed. It can be a number of things. contractors will want to save money where they can. They wont necessarily understand the implications of installing something differently or not putting a certain thing in a certain place. So you're relying on someone else to recognise this and tell them accordingly if they go wrong, either a surveyor or the fire brigade...but then you're relying on them to pick these things up which even if they do their jobs properly, they might not every single time. With an old building especially it's very difficult to be sure absolutely everything is in place as it should be.

These things are investigated as well and people are ultimately held accountable...but it takes time to gather evidence and if necessary prosecute the right person, so that part rarely happens quickly. The last major fire in a block of flats was 2009 and it was 2015 I think before they were in a position to hold the correct people accountable.

What can be done quickly is investigating the cause and basics of what went wrong so they're in a position to apply the same assessment to other buildings which might be of similar risk.
It appears the only outcome of that case was that the local authority was fined by the courts just over half a million quid which in effect is be paid by local ratepayers. I won't hold my breath for anyone to be held accountable.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Depends how hard they want to look. As long as the rent's getting paid...
My missus, sister lost her house off it and the rent was being paid.

Remember they want to move these people on because of the huge value of the land

jackofalltrades

I think the "get stuffed" part is of importance in that it shows his attitude, as mayor of London at that time, to opposition. However, all that comes before in his speech, which is basically that the same or better can be achieved with less spending I find more damning. I also believe that "austerity" is being sold as a solution to present day problems whereas in reality it's been part of Tory ideology since Thatcher.

Last edited:

montpelier

My missus, sister lost her house off it and the rent was being paid.

Remember they want to move these people on because of the huge value of the land
Yes, I can see that. They do what they want - sometimes the rules apply, and sometimes they don't. The whole social landlord sphere is a fecking racket for me. #LongstandingTenantPerspective

(that obviously won't be true, there must be some good guys left somewhere you'd think)

montpelier

You phone ours up, and they NEVER know anything. It's never possible to speak to someone who does. You ask the question,you don't usually get a reply. They work so hard never to divulge anything. They don't keep records of anything except what can be turned around & held against the tenant. This is right through to Complaints which tend to get 1 - lost, 2 - ignored, 3 - closed down, 4 - answered with denial & lies.

On the other side, they claim to keep residents informed but turn up whenever they like to do whatever they like.

So utterly crookedly shite you can't even argue with them.

And what the guys say up there about work & the standard of that work is entirely true as well.

I've told ours they are a fecking menace - the work that does need doing, you cannot get them to move on.

This needs a Public Enquiry about the whole thing even through to including general housing policy & what it is that they are pretending to want to achieve but that definitely isn't going to happen because they've already gone quasi-private investment in a fishy partially hidden kinda way.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Yes, I can see that. They do what they want - sometimes the rules apply, and sometimes they don't. The whole social landlord sphere is a fecking racket for me. #LongstandingTenantPerspective

(that obviously won't be true, there must be some good guys left somewhere you'd think)
I'd imagine the rulings are far more strict in London where land is worth millions than anywhere else in the country. You get the feeling they want to move people on and sell on the property.

1 young man was commenting that it was possibly a conspiracy for this to happen. While I don't believe that I don't believe they protect (or spent money on ) people from this happening.

rcoobc

If 200 people have died here would this be the worst mass casualty of British people since what?

Worse than 9/11. Worse than Lockerbie. Worse than any train derailment I can think of.

Really don't think enough is being made of it so far.

So many dead children

rcoobc

Bring back the death penalty for this

Why the feck not

:(

Classical Mechanic

If 200 people have died here would this be the worst mass casualty of British people since what?

Worse than 9/11. Worse than Lockerbie. Worse than any train derailment I can think of.

Really don't think enough is being made of it so far.

So many dead children
Tainted blood scandal?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Generally managed to go unaffected (that's not quite the right word maybe) by a lot of the major incidents recently; they've all been horrendously awful, but for some reason this feels worse, somehow. Not to try and score it by incident or anything, but perhaps it's just seeing the footage of the flames and knowing that you're watching the whole thing unfold first-hand from the outside, aware of the suffering people are going through but not fully privy to it. The lists of people still categorised as missing is quite haunting in a way.

Roosney

I sometimes wonder the byrocracy in Finland but damn do I wish now the companies behind this would have had to face it when planning on renovating this building.

Just terrible news.

rcoobc

Just don't let this be forgotten please.

Find those responsible, and bring them to justice.

Phil

feck. A girl I know from work circles is one of the missing. She lived on the 19th floor, this is very real, she's such a nice person. :(