Grenfell Tower Fire | 14th June 2017

Silva

they handed themselves in and will get a small fine because they're gonna show contrition in court while theresa may will and her goons act shocked and appalled about all this despite the people from greenfell still not having homes

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Yes I agree with you as well, its a contradiction because if it wasn't shared all over social media, these feckers would have got away with it.

It will be interesting to see from a legal point of view what happens to these lot. And who shared it on twitter etc.
The fact that their names and pictures are now being published will be a pretty significant punishment, I think. Everyone they know/work with etc will be talking about them, and hopefully the majority of those people will be disgusted by their actions.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The fact that their names and pictures are now being published will be a pretty significant punishment, I think. Everyone they know/work with etc will be talking about them, and hopefully the majority of those people will be disgusted by their actions.
Exactly. If there are any charges then it'll be with respect to any laws they have broken I'd have thought. I doubt the police are scurrying around trying to drum up charges.

All this talk of 'I'd rather police do actual police work' is misguided, how distracting do people actually think this ended up being? They will just act on a report as they normally would...

Classical Mechanic

Exactly. If there are any charges then it'll be with respect to any laws they have broken I'd have thought. I doubt the police are scurrying around trying to drum up charges.

All this talk of 'I'd rather police do actual police work' is misguided, how distracting do people actually think this ended up being? They will just act on a report as they normally would...
I don’t know if it is happening in this case but the police do act politically and respond to the media. Look at the Cliff Richard case.

buchansleftleg

A large part of Police's role is to be a deterrent to crime and if they are seen to crack down hard on this racist display then it might discourage countless other acts of racist aggression we have seen shared on social media in last couple of years.

Racist behavior has been on the increase since the referendum and Trump winning. Time to enforce some tolerant behavior the only way some people can understand.

afrocentricity

I don’t know if it is happening in this case but the police do act politically and respond to the media. Look at the Cliff Richard case.
Any other examples of this impending epidemic?
A large part of Police's role is to be a deterrent to crime and if they are seen to crack down hard on this racist display then it might discourage countless other acts of racist aggression we have seen shared on social media in last couple of years.

Racist behavior has been on the increase since the referendum and Trump winning. Time to enforce some tolerant behavior the only way some people can understand.
Yeah if they break the law sure. Otherwise I'm happy for them to get exposed so that the public can dish out some retribution/street justice.

Classical Mechanic

Unrelated and not indicative of anything. I know some of you seriously believe that the police are getting caught up wasting time, instead of doing real police work. It's overstated and mostly in your head.
In the past week one of the most senior police officers in the country has said the force are wasting resources investigating hate crimes. Nonetheless, I shall bow to your superior knowledge of the inner workings of the MPS.

Last edited:

afrocentricity

In the past week one of the most senior police officers in the country has said the force are wasting resources investigating hate crimes. Nonetheless, I shall bow to your superior knowledge of the inner workings of the MPS.
Yea you don't think hate crime is worth investigating. Shocked...

Let's agree to disagree. Shocked...

Classical Mechanic

So what is it then? They're wasting time? Or its not worth it? Or what?
I was making a point that the police do investigate things and push through charges they usually wouldn’t for PR reasons because you stated that they wouldn’t.

You asked for another example of that happening and I gave you one that was very topical (it led the news in the past week).

You then adopted a condescending tone in response to that and seemed to reference previous debating points in the thread (not made by me) about the police wasting time on this as being ‘overstated and in my head’. So then I referenced the senior police officer who said very recently that the police are in fact wasting time on these types of crimes. Her concern was that having to investigate every report of someone feeling offended is taking away resources from what she considers real crimes, such as assault or burglary.

Last edited:

afrocentricity

I was making a point that the police do investigate things and push through charges they usually wouldn’t for PR reasons because you stated that they wouldn’t.

You asked for another example of that happening and I gave you one that was very topical (it led the news in the past week).

You then adopted a typically condescending tone in response to that and seemed to reference previous debating points in the thread (not made by me) about the police wasting time on this as being ‘overstated and in my head’. So then I referenced the senior police officer who said very recently that the police are in fact wasting time on these types of crimes. Her concern was that having to investigate every report of someone feeling offended is taking away resources from what she considers real crimes, such as theft or burglary.
Listen I think they should do their job. The post you initially responded to was making the point that they aren't wasting time.

Fact is, people report things they feel need reporting. That's always been the case. There being more reports to these types of issues are a product of the times, it doesn't force the police hands into making more out of a case than is warranted. So you're point is basically in reference to the the effort it takes to look at the reports. So I go back to what I was asking you.

So what is it then? They're wasting time? Or its not worth it? Or what?
Don't just point to the police chief and say "Well he/she thinks it's a waste of time".

Because if I'm being honest, that sounds like it has more to do with resources and funding. As opposed to whether or not there is an epidemic of people making frivolous claims (which is what I'm talking about here).

This is my opinion, but it's based on recognising that lots of things are happening right now. How you choose to see that is on you but the police chief having a different read on it than me doesn't suprise me.

afrocentricity

I mean come on it's just not as deep as you guys make out, outrage at Twitter policing seems so Twitter to me. Hire 10 so called SJWs and 10 PC gon mad hatter's, set up a social media department, and delegate.....

Let them flag up anything credible with 'evidence'.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Deservedly arrested IMO. This for me is a breach of the public peace type of offence - it’s despiecable and it cannot go unpunished because it could easily lead to copycat offences online if it went unpunished. Furthermore it is a black and white case - it’s unforgivable and there’s no grey area where any utterance of theirs could be justified in any way.

GeorgieBoy

I'm one for the odd 'dark' joke but that was hard to watch.
The amount of effort put into that and then to video it and come out with some of the stuff they said. They're clearly cnuts and deserve whatever they get.

Classical Mechanic

Listen I think they should do their job. The post you initially responded to was making the point that they aren't wasting time.

Fact is, people report things they feel need reporting. That's always been the case. There being more reports to these types of issues are a product of the times, it doesn't force the police hands into making more out of a case than is warranted. So you're point is basically in reference to the the effort it takes to look at the reports. So I go back to what I was asking you.

Don't just point to the police chief and say "Well he/she thinks it's a waste of time".

Because if I'm being honest, that sounds like it has more to do with resources and funding. As opposed to whether or not there is an epidemic of people making frivolous claims (which is what I'm talking about here).

This is my opinion, but it's based on recognising that lots of things are happening right now. How you choose to see that is on you but the police chief having a different read on it than me doesn't suprise me.
I think the whole incident is crass in the extreme.

I agree that it is a funding issue rather than hate crimes being unworthy.

I’m not really a supporter of the American idea of freedom of speech and am not against prosecution for things like verbal harassment or hate crimes.

Regardless, the perpatrators will suffer far far more from their shaming than from any punishment the court could give them.

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Not to be rude, and I’m being general here - but this argument shows a lack of knowledge of exactly how twitter works, especially when it comes to doxxing.

The idea that twitter is full of people who are anxiously waiting for the next storyline to be outraged at is ‘PC gone mad’ rhetoric and couldn’t be further from the truth.

Doxxing individuals is actually very difficult and the success rate is low, sure you hear about the stories in the media when they happen because they want your clicks, and the clicks of both extremes of the left & right wing to react appropriately.
But if you actually browse through the various attempts that people go through to actually doxx someone, and nothing happens you would see that twitter is far from judge jury and executioner.

Maybe when people figure out the formula of what causes something to go viral vs a few dozen/100s retweet’s, we can explore this further, but we’re no where near that stage yet.
I don’t really see how the fact it’s a bit difficult to do makes it correct though. The fact they’ve gone to a bit of effort in tracking someone down to get them sacked shouldn’t really make any odds. Even if it isn’t successful in every case, they still try. It seems as if they certainly see themselves as having enough power to do so, even if they can’t always locate the offending party.

montpelier

You've got to have something in place to stop people from going around encouraging the hate of other people on a ridiculous basis. I'd ask those people talking about policing proper crime how they feel about Muslim preachers & so on. You can't just do nothing, imo. And sometimes you have to be seen to be trying to do something to send a message.

To what extent you do that or whether you do it for quasi-private functions that are 'just' in completely appalling taste, I don't know.

Whether it should be policed on the basis of half-fabricated public / Establishment outrage I don't know either.

Or how nasty this case really is - in terms of being a proper hate crime. I don't know that either.

It should end up in just about the right place if we can reduce the hysteria level a little bit & they don't end up being locked up for it or anything stupid like that. Effigies get burned on bonfires every year, after all.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
A smouldering edifice to British white supremacy and governmental racism.

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Inquiry finds that customers were not warned of risks by Arconic, who did not share results of fire tests with UK certification body

Arconic did nothing to stop the sale of cladding which spread the Grenfell Tower fire despite two high rise infernos in the Middle East involving similar materials sparking internal concerns, the president of the French subsidiary told the inquiry into the fire.

The firm kept selling the plastic filled panels after a 2012 fire at the Tamweel tower in Dubai wrapped in similar material sent “fireballs” to the ground and didn’t warn customers of possible risks, the public inquiry into the disaster heard
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...hing-after-two-high-rise-fires-in-middle-east

Bastards. Absolute fecking bastards.

But the media only really gave a shit for the first phase so firefighters get the blame.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Yep. I think four times the Lords passed the clause protecting tenants and the Government defeated it four times in the Commons.

They held the final vote a day or so before prorogation too so the supporters of the measures basically had a choice of getting some of what they wanted or having the whole Bill fall.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Ministers have urged a family facing a devastating bill as part of the building safety crisis to contact the Samaritans if they want help with “feelings of distress or despair”.

In a move that sparked “disbelief” in the leaseholder involved, Jamie Robb, the response from an aide to the housing secretary, Robert Jenrick, to a plea for help with fire remediation works included the phone number for the suicide prevention service. It recommended its “free, anonymous, confidential and non-judgemental support”.

The Robb family wrote to Jenrick in November last year after Jamie Robb, 30, discovered he was facing a bill of up to £40,000 for fire safety repairs on his apartment in a Manchester high-rise.

The response arrived this week as the government pushed through fire safety legislation that leaves thousands of leaseholders facing bills of up to £75,000 each to fix apartment buildings found to be dangerous in the wake of the Grenfell Tower fire.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...-safety-bill-told-they-can-contact-samaritans

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Honestly it’s appalling that this is being allowed to happen. The government should be footing the bill and claiming this back from those responsible.

Starmer and Labour should be highlighting this issue more than they are doing aswell