Film Greta Gerwig's BARBIE (Margot Robbie/Ryan Gosling)

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Robbie is portraying the fashion-forward doll, topping a call sheet whose names range from Ryan Gosling and Simu Liu to Kate McKinnon and Alexandra Shipp to Emma Mackey and America Ferrera.

Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach wrote the script for the project, with Gerwig directing. Production is already underway.

Plot details are being kept in a Malibu dream house, but sources indicate that there is a meta aspect to the proceedings. Will Ferrell is said to be playing the CEO of a toy company that may or not be Mattel.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...barbie-margot-robbie-greta-gerwig-1235128254/

Gosling :drool:

Jev

Hah, looks great. Little Women was one of the best adaptations I've seen in a long time and Gerwig is generally brilliant so this should be a hoot. Looking forward to it.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Ordinarily I'd run a mile from this, but it's Greta Gerwig, so is bound to be good.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
We need those protesters from the UK.

Not to halt movie production, but to make it a silent black/white film, with the camera focused on Margot the entire time

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’m actually really looking forward to this. Director and cast suggest it’s going to be brilliant.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I can see the attraction of watching this....

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Definitely interested in this one. It's already having a big cultural influence (Barbiecore) and it has some great meta/postmodern potential as a classic.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Hollywood need to leave that dope alone.

Jev

Thought this was a satire? They originally had Amy Schumer lined up to play Barbie
That was before Greta Gerwig got involved. She will have had her own ideas and her ideas are usually good. Besides, it still looks satirical.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Ryan Gossling looks like Leslie Nielsen.

macheda14

Looks absolutely shite. Cannot for the life of me work out why any grown adult would pay money to watch this in the cinema. But ho hum, there’s obviously a market. Twitter is giddy as feck about it.
Because it has two excellent witters, a great director and a stacked cast.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Everyone assuming Gerwig & Baumbach are going to make the great subversive stealth indie, but at this point the most subversive thing they could do is make a completely straight sell out Barbie movie about a funny little doll…

Champ

Looks absolutely shite. Cannot for the life of me work out why any grown adult would pay money to watch this in the cinema. But ho hum, there’s obviously a market. Twitter is giddy as feck about it.
Agree wholeheartedly with you here.

It looks absolutely shallow as feck.

It's almost like they have people hoodwinked into thinking it will be this subversive multi layered onion of a film, when in reality it looks like it's just a shallow, flat SpongeBob squarepants story, one dimensional film.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Everyone assuming Gerwig & Baumbach are going to make the great subversive stealth indie, but at this point the most subversive thing they could do is make a completely straight sell out Barbie movie about a funny little doll…
Exactly. The subversive thing to do would be to make a straight faced Barbie movie. Everyone and their dog knows it's going to have some hacky subtext commenting on Barbie's role in society.

Champ

So the best way to undermine or weaken the established film art of selling out is to sell out??

We've finally come full circle....to the Hypernormalisation thread...

Champ

I think people are underestimating Greta Gerwig.
Now I'm not a film buff, most of the films I watch wouldn't ever grace the big screen, they are more atune to an extremely niche dvd collection,

So explain to me the greatness that Gerwig has Directed?
And how what she has directed would be relevant to a film about a doll?

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Pre-90s rehashed Barbie takes over post ironic toy-hocking sentimentalism. Tepid corporate slop masquerading as metatextual appreciation, from self-satisfied, gurning mumblebrats.

It’ll be excruciating but the mob will tell you it's the thing. The cultural landfill is perfectly placed to receive this crap gleefully.

Aqua will age exceptionally well next to it.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
When it comes to hyping up shite movies, caf is no worse than facebook crowd who suddenly all turn into big Greta Gerwig fans despite not mentioning her 7 times in total (by all members, and 2 out of those 7 times were for her acting, not directing) during previous 20 years, and that's mostly for one film.

Not trying to underrate her, but this is completely different movie to anything she has done before, and it's not like she has done ten great movies anyway.

Jev

Now I'm not a film buff, most of the films I watch wouldn't ever grace the big screen, they are more atune to an extremely niche dvd collection,

So explain to me the greatness that Gerwig has Directed?
And how what she has directed would be relevant to a film about a doll?
Her two previous films, Lady Bird and Little Women, were both incredibly witty and clever, there's reason to think this will be as well.

Jev

When it comes to hyping up shite movies, caf is no worse than facebook crowd who suddenly all turn into big Greta Gerwig fans despite not mentioning her 7 times in total (by all members, and 2 out of those 7 times were for her acting, not directing) during previous 20 years, and that's mostly for one film.

Not trying to underrate her, but this is completely different movie to anything she has done before, and it's not like she has done ten great movies anyway.
It's not entirely different to what she did with Little Women, though.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
It's not entirely different to what she did with Little Women, though.
I've seen Little Women, and I don't think I'll ever watch this. I am not gonna be avoiding it, but that trailer and surrounding looks like poor and satirical version of Truman's show, and Truman's show was 25 years ago.