g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Film Greta Gerwig's BARBIE (Margot Robbie/Ryan Gosling)

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I imagine the average cinemagoer would know who Greta Gerwig was. Noah Baumbach, not so much.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I imagine the average cinemagoer would know who Greta Gerwig was. Noah Baumbach, not so much.
I have definitely seen her but I wouldn't be able to name her and that's from someone that is a below average cinemagoer. It's also as an actress and not as a filmmaker but even then I think that it deflects from something that I believe is more important. Should a cinemagoer judge the movie or in this case the trailers or the reputation of the filmmakers/actors. Because it seems that people are putting more weight on everything but the actual trailers or movies which to me is a bit strange.

Jev

I think well known is always about the average person and not about a minority of people that have a strong interest in something. Otherwise everything is well-known and the term becomes pointless.
That would mean that only about three directors are well known. But fair.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I have definitely seen her but I wouldn't be able to name her and that's from someone that is a below average cinemagoer. It's also as an actress and not as a filmmaker but even then I think that it deflects from something that I believe is more important. Should a cinemagoer judge the movie or in this case the trailers or the reputation of the filmmakers/actors. Because it seems that people are putting more weight on everything but the actual trailers or movies which to me is a bit strange.
I agree. I was excited to see what they did with it given the talent involved but I expect jokes to make me laugh and all they did (in this trailer at least) was make me cringe. I'll wait on the reviews, as usual, but so far so deeply underwhelmed.

JPRouve

Scout
That would mean that only about three directors are well known. But fair.
Which is probably closer to reality being well-known is a massive achievement.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The beta-male:

Pre-90s rehashed Barbie takes over post ironic toy-hocking sentimentalism. Tepid corporate slop masquerading as metatextual appreciation, from self-satisfied, gurning mumblebrats.

It’ll be excruciating but the mob will tell you it's the thing. The cultural landfill is perfectly placed to receive this crap gleefully.

Aqua will age exceptionally well next to it.
The alpha:
Real cinema :drool:

Jev

Because it seems that people are putting more weight on everything but the actual trailers or movies which to me is a bit strange.
You can't equate trailers with movies. Trailers are often misleading. I would absolutely put more emphasis on the reputation of the director than the look of a trailer when judging a movie.

JPRouve

Scout
You can't equate trailers with movies. Trailers are often misleading. I would absolutely put more emphasis on the reputation of the director than the look of a trailer when judging a movie.
I didn't equate trailers with movies which is why I mentioned both. And I made the point that you judge what is actually offered to you and in this case it's two trailers that are in my opinion not good, as I already said if they aren't a good reflection of the movie then it's unfortunate. I won't go further than that because I haven't seen the movie and likely won't but the trailers aren't convincing.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I’m not sure “I only watch crap and I don’t know who they are!” Is really such a flex tbh.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach are absolutely household names among people interested in movies, both respected for making clever, witty, well-written movies, with Gerwig in particular one of the most interesting young filmmakers at the moment. Besides, there's a bit of a "how dare they make a movie with women as the primary audience" vibe to this thread.
:lol:

There will be always few of these posters in every thread, isn't it?

Barbie is not a women movie, little girls are or actually were into barbies 20 years ago, I am not sure there are 1% of adult women who are into barbies and such.

Correct. Should have ended your post there.

Always puzzled me this internet thing where some people are desperate to convince others that they're fools for being excited about something.
So what you are saying is that you are excited about Barbie movie?

Jev

So what you are saying is that you are excited about Barbie movie?
Yes. I thought Little Women was spectacular and would have been excited about Gerwig's next regardless of the source material. Besides, I think it looks like fun.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
No idea wether this will be good or Gerwig just sold out. But if you regularly watch films other than the biggest blockbusters, her name shouldn’t be new to you. And in my social circle Lady Bird or Frances Ha are definitely well known movies.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Can't lie, not about the fact that I got intoxicated badly for the first time in months last night going into the Easter weekend, and about the fact that I saw this trailer directly after waking up and I kind of liked it. The colours looked so dope, might've been me still spacing out though :wenger:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
This place is full of some massive movie nerds. I’ve never heard of Gertrude and her crap movies.

Wing Attack Plan R

It’s basically a 2 hour advert. It’s actually amazing that they got such accomplished people involved in something so daft.
Wait until you hear about this film series called 'Toy Story', which was literally 2 hour adverts for toys you could buy once the movie was ended. Or 'The Legos Movie', literally a movie about the ubiquitous block company. It's the end of civilization, I tell you!

Wing Attack Plan R

It's more accurate to say people who read about movies are more likely to know who they are.

Both have become more mainstream in recent years - for lack of a better word - but they're still best known for working on the fringe of the studio system. Darlings of Little White Lies readers etc.
Yes. These filmmakers are celebrated by the cognoscenti, doesn't mean they are household names, but I'd argue few household names in the movie realm are names even worth remembering. What I think people are missing about Greta Gerwig's involvement with this, is the base concept is nearly antithetical to her brand. She is a New York indie hipster who dates a darling of indie cinema. She herself has made (as mentioned above) 3 films that have been nominated for the top prizes in filmmaking, and she's still only 39. If you (or anyone) has seen the movies that have her personal imprimatur on them, it's clear the idea of the proportionally impossible blonde capitalistic poison known as a Barbie doll would be something she'd normally rail against. That's why I think this film will be good. It could however be a total capitulation of everything Gerwig has worked to achieve so far in her career, a crass cash-grab sellout. I doubt it, though.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Wait until you hear about this film series called 'Toy Story', which was literally 2 hour adverts for toys you could buy once the movie was ended. Or 'The Legos Movie', literally a movie about the ubiquitous block company. It's the end of civilization, I tell you!
Do you enjoy being a terrible person?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Yes. These filmmakers are celebrated by the cognoscenti, doesn't mean they are household names, but I'd argue few household names in the movie realm are names even worth remembering. What I think people are missing about Greta Gerwig's involvement with this, is the base concept is nearly antithetical to her brand. She is a New York indie hipster who dates a darling of indie cinema. She herself has made (as mentioned above) 3 films that have been nominated for the top prizes in filmmaking, and she's still only 39. If you (or anyone) has seen the movies that have her personal imprimatur on them, it's clear the idea of the proportionally impossible blonde capitalistic poison known as a Barbie doll would be something she'd normally rail against. That's why I think this film will be good. It could however be a total capitulation of everything Gerwig has worked to achieve so far in her career, a crass cash-grab sellout. I doubt it, though.
Yes good summary! Now we play the waiting game...

redcucumber

About Noah Baumbach: he's crap, in my opinion. Hated Frances Ha, Mr Jealousy, and really wasn't keen on Meyerowitz Stories. Moany posh New Yorkers with zero redeeming features.

Greta Gerwig seems to be a bit better so maybe this'll be fun.

Goldfiessli

Supports
FC Basel
The real sickos are going to watch this and Oppenheimer back to back. I believe they are released on the same day (at least in Germany/Switzerland).

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I've watched the trailer. Who is this film for?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Agree wholeheartedly with you here.

It looks absolutely shallow as feck.

It's almost like they have people hoodwinked into thinking it will be this subversive multi layered onion of a film, when in reality it looks like it's just a shallow, flat SpongeBob squarepants story, one dimensional film.
How very dare you!? Wash your mouth and atone for such blasphemy.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Looks like a straight up Lego Movie rip off. Even cast the same guy as the main villain.
Exactly this.

Looks crap. Am angry people even get suckered in by what is essentially a shallow, 2hr long advert.

Down with this sort of thing.