Film Greta Gerwig's BARBIE (Margot Robbie/Ryan Gosling)

HookedOnAPhelan

My girlfriend dragged me to this and as expected it was utter shite.

I have not actually seen it and I don’t have a girlfriend

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I'm talking percentages, not total numbers. There's quite a difference between 1.8 and 13.5 percent one-stars.
Probably because there is an obvious difference in quality and theme? There is an obvious reason why Shawshank is rated as number 1, and it's because it's great movie for pretty much every age(it doesn't even have to be greatest movie ever, but if you take average rating of an average movie fan it's greatest). I am totally expecting any 50-60 year old who has seen Barbie to think it's shite, even if it turns out to be great. Same as lot of teenage girls won't like Oppenheimer.

Seriously, just go see it, or don't comment on it. You have no idea what you're talking about.
It's a movie that takes itself seriously?

Jev

Probably because there is an obvious difference in quality and theme? There is an obvious reason why Shawshank is rated as number 1, and it's because it's great movie for pretty much every age(it doesn't even have to be greatest movie ever, but if you take average rating of an average movie fan it's greatest). I am totally expecting any 50-60 year old who has seen Barbie to think it's shite, even if it turns out to be great. Same as lot of teenage girls won't like Oppenheimer.
I'm actually not sure what you're arguing here. Are you suggesting that 1 out of 7 reviews being one-star one day after the premiere is absolutely not down to review-bombing by misogynists but actually explainable by people outside the movie's target audience who for some reason have rushed to watch it and just genuinely believe the movie, which is made by one of Hollywood's most gifted young directors and stars some of the best actors, is as bad as a movie can possibly be?

Last edited:

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Seriously, just go see it, or don't comment on it. You have no idea what you're talking about.
Yeah I’d say. 2023 and using IMDb as any sort of barometer…like what. Not to mention that Nolan has his own **** out there, begging at his shrine. And similarly, the incels/right-wing dipshits who of course know how trash the movie must be because ‘females!’. Tiring.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
I'm actually not sure what you're arguing here. Are you suggesting that 1 out of 7 reviews being one-star one day after the premiere is absolutely not down to review-bombing by misogynists but actually explicable by people outside the movie's target audience who for some reason have rushed to watch it and just genuinely believe the movie, which is made by one of Hollywood's most gifted young directors and stars some of the best actors, is as bad as a movie can possibly be?
People cannot hate anything these days without being called something.

You seriously think anyone who doesn't like this movie is misogynist? Calling people names without any proofs should be actually bannable offence here.

What about people who don't like this theme, I don't have to hate women to hate the genre, the costumes, the songs? Fake world, fake story, fake glorification of a doll, terrible imaginary world? What about waste of talent, writing and resources about making shite theme movie instead of making another movie such as Greta's previous movies? For example, I wasn't very aware of her, but this movie has actually made me watch her previous work because those movies actually look very appealing and something I would enjoy.

My wife played with Barbie dolls and she isn't even bothered to watch this movie, I asked her to go watch it, and she laighed at me. And she has just watched Georgina's life last week. Her favourite show is Sopranos and Breaking Bad. What does that tell you? It means that some people are simply not interested in it.

Jev

You seriously think anyone who doesn't like this movie is misogynist? Calling people names without any proofs should be actually bannable offence here.

What about people who don't like this theme, I don't have to hate women to hate the genre, the costumes, the songs? Fake world, fake story, fake glorification of a doll, terrible imaginary world? What about waste of talent, writing and resources about making shite theme movie instead of making another movie such as Greta's previous movies? For example, I wasn't very aware of her, but this movie has actually made me watch her previous work because those movies actually look very appealing and something I would enjoy.

My wife played with Barbie dolls and she isn't even bothered to watch this movie, I asked her to go watch it, and she laighed at me. And she has just watched Georgina's life last week. Her favourite show is Sopranos and Breaking Bad. What does that tell you? It means that some people are simply not interested in it.
Of course I don't. I think a sizeable portion of the 13.5 percent who have given it one star have done so because of prejudices or its feminist messages.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He is quite wonderful, simply put. Ken is super well written, but his delivery is top notch and the more physical parts of the performance (dancing, singing) are great too. He's been memed as this sort of flat, monotone actor (mainly after Drive I guess), but he's actually great. If you liked him in The Other Guys, you'll love him in this.
I thought he’d suit the role and yeah that’s in part due to his turn in the nice guys, so it’s good to hear if I enjoyed that performance I’ll probably really enjoy him here too. He seems quite naturally funny when dealing with all the PR stuff, and the Papyrus sketch he did was so good.

I really enjoy the “Literally me bro” roles that catapulted him into the big leagues, but I’d definitely like seeing him do more comedy too (although also I guess I just like looking at him :lol:)

How was John Cena?
I had no idea he was in it! There’s a lot of eye candy in this film, of all types, apt!

Jev

She must be, considering she doesn't like the idea of watching the Barbie movie. There is no other explanation!
I didn't remotely suggest you'd have to be a misogynist to dislike/not be interested in this movie but it seems like being disingenuous is your game so have fun with that.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
@Amar__ how would you respond to a prominent film buff describing this as one of the most important films this century?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Pleasantly surprised with this movie. It has some nice humor and art direction and the two leads put in really good performances. Gets a bit cringe and preachy sometimes and I thought the daughter character was terribly written but a very solid popcorn flick.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Using IMDb in this day and age to mark the quality of a film...?? Who still does that. Madness!
It's too prone to rating bombing based on agenda and fanbase zealotry.

I'm also personally very bitter at the fact that the vast majority of horror/mystery/scifi/psychological type movies tend to be criminally misunderstood and underrated. IMDB to me is the player performance forum of televisual/cinematic entertainment.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
It's too prone to rating bombing based on agenda and fanbase zealotry.

I'm also personally very bitter at the fact that the vast majority of horror/mystery/scifi/psychological type movies tend to be criminally misunderstood and underrated. IMDB to me is the player performance forum of televisual/cinematic entertainment.
the ratings are nonsense, but for the niche/**** films exist some lovely and very informative „reviews“ there. Obviously not bothering with those high profile movies with thousands of reviews mostly written by narcissts.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
@Amar__ how would you respond to a prominent film buff describing this as one of the most important films this century?
I am not sure. We know what Oppenheimer is about, that's why I questioned it, because it didn't seem that important for me(not that anyone actually answered it), but not really sure if Barbie is important before watching it. Maybe it's very important to women? Maybe ask RiP or people who have seen it?

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
I didn't remotely suggest you'd have to be a misogynist to dislike/not be interested in this movie but it seems like being disingenuous is your game so have fun with that.
You mentioned that as literally the only reason why it got 1/10. And you are not the only one, basically anyone who questioned others of not liking it mentioned women hate for some reason.

I mean, this is one of your older posts here, for absolutely no reason at all you wanted to make this place look misogyints from the very start of the thread:

Besides, there's a bit of a "how dare they make a movie with women as the primary audience" vibe to this thread.

Jev

You mentioned that as literally the only reason why it got 1/10. And you are not the only one, basically anyone who questioned others of not liking it mentioned women hate for some reason.
I asked you what you think is more likely (you didn't answer by the way): that a bunch of people rushed to watch a movie they had little interest in and then genuinely thought it was as bad as a movie can possibly be, or that a significant chunk of those 13.5 percent are people who haven't watched the film but have decided to hate it in advance for other reasons. In general, I'd say that if you're giving a film 1 out of 10 stars, you probably didn't give it an unbiased chance (given that very few movies are that bad), so when 1/10 reviews make up a significant portion of the total, I think it's reasonable to assume some of it is politically motivated. And what might annoy some people about a movie based on a toy doll for millennial girls which carries feminist messages? It's not a crazy conspiracy theory, we've seen it with plenty of similar movies before.

And no, I'm not suggesting that you are a misogynist for not being interested in this film. You referred specifically to IMDb reviews and I responded specifically to that. If anything I think the vibe from some in this thread seems more like a generational thing than a gender thing (given that among my male millennial friends, most seem eager to see this film).

Apokalips

To be fair, if you hated this type of movie you'd be an absolute odd job to go watch it day one and rate it poorly on IMDB.

Hamnat

The marketing for this is pretty insane. If you google Barbie the page turns pink with sparkles. If they get big numbers good on them.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

The bolded bit :lol: No it shouldn't you silly sausage (I'll take my warning mods), and more importantly you've misunderstood what he typed. He didn't say everyone who disliked it is a misogynist, he pointed out the fallibility in taking those public review numbers as gospel due to the prevalence of review bombing when it came to this type of film. He made it explicitly clear what he was talking about and did so again when he highlighted the number of reviews that were '1' and the significant amount they made up of the total overall reviews. Barbie won't be review bombed as hard asother films that spent months getting lambasted, but it will have to deal with them in a way that Oppenheimer won't. Also IMDB sucks

Any film these days that can be accused in any way of being woke however small will deal with the same problem to differing extents. It's why IMDB changed their voting system years ago, because beforehand before the film had been released they'd get review bombed into oblivion. Look at the last film that came out that caused a woke frenzy on a much bigger scale, The Little Mermaid, or as I like to call it, The Little Mermaid. I didn't bother watching it because it's not my cup of tea, but it got meh to ok reviews from critics, and it got pretty good scores from audiences. 36% of those who gave it a score on IMDB gave it a 1, twice as many people as who voted for any other numerical score.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I m not interested in watching it in the theatre but I'll watch when it's available in digital if only to see what all the fuss is about.

I also hope this movie sets records for profit etc etc just to piss off the loonies. I hope some of them pop a vein. :lol:

Charlie Foley

:lol: :lol:

Charlie Foley

Cool

Oh most definitely. And it's not even subtle, the feminism is very much on the nose. Considering some posters' positions on women in film on the Caf, I can see quite a few fuming at it. It's glorious.

He is quite wonderful, simply put. Ken is super well written, but his delivery is top notch and the more physical parts of the performance (dancing, singing) are great too. He's been memed as this sort of flat, monotone actor (mainly after Drive I guess), but he's actually great. If you liked him in The Other Guys, you'll love him in this.

Cute cameo.
Just got back from it. We did this tonight and Oppenheimer next on Sunday.

it was pretty alright. Gosling did a really good job throwing himself into the goofiness of that role.

Genuinely laughed at a few moments, off the top of my head

“Does anyone ever think about dying?”
Ken learning about the patriarchy
“Where did you learn to drive like this…was it dad?”
The dad trying to speak Spanish
“They’re dream houses motherfeckers!”
Helen Mirren as narrator’s “Margot Robbie was the wrong one to cast if you wanted to make this point”
The gynaecologist visit at the end

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Not all those who voted for Brexit were xenophobic but ......