Griezmann - Barcelona player

MUFC OK

Cant they terminate Dembele's contract? Only a year left so it would cost about 11m euros. Or do they not even have that cash?

AkaAkuma

I don't mind Dembeles apology. Apparently he gets on with different factions within the french team, so I imagine he's a bit of a clown who goes too far for a laugh.

What he is admitting to though is that he probably lacks respect for a lot of people. Not a terrible thing for a 23yr old, but some thing to change.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
That's the "excuse", it seems.

"Sorry that you all had to see my bigoted crap made public - really sorry, but hey, it wasn't meant to be public, so..."
Oh boy, here comes the outraged who just want to point and shout racist when there’s nothing racist in what he said. Dembele isn’t racists against Asians ffs, it’s getting problematic that people can quickly and thoughtlessly claim someone is racist when there’s plenty of actual racism around. He’s from the French banlieue, his expression of ‘sale gueules’ is an ‘insult’ you use with your own mates or even family members to tease and joke around.

Give me a fecking break, most of you have no idea what was actually said/meant but you’re quick to label someone a racist because the media wrote an article on it. He shouldn’t even have to apologize for it but people will immediately jump on a video like this, with no context (because I’ve heard Dembele use that expression before on Umtiti, guess he must hate black people as well). There’s plenty of reasons Barcelona should consider moving Dembele, but being a racist sure ain’t one of them. Obviously same goes for Griezmann. This outrage bs looking for racism everywhere has to stop because it’s really taking away from actual racist incidents. Context actually matters.

Pickle85

Oh boy, here comes the outraged who just want to point and shout racist when there’s nothing racist in what he said. Dembele isn’t racists against Asians ffs, it’s getting problematic that people can quickly and thoughtlessly claim someone is racist when there’s plenty of actual racism around. He’s from the French banlieue, his expression of ‘sale gueules’ is an ‘insult’ you use with your own mates or even family members to tease and joke around.

Give me a fecking break, most of you have no idea what was actually said/meant but you’re quick to label someone a racist because the media wrote an article on it. He shouldn’t even have to apologize for it but people will immediately jump on a video like this, with no context (because I’ve heard Dembele use that expression before on Umtiti, guess he must hate black people as well). There’s plenty of reasons Barcelona should consider moving Dembele, but being a racist sure ain’t one of them. Obviously same goes for Griezmann. This outrage bs looking for racism everywhere has to stop because it’s really taking away from actual racist incidents. Context actually matters.
So are you saying that none of what was said was racist...?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
So are you saying that none of what was said was racist...?
I think my original post covered that already. If you call an Asian person the same insult you use on your own friends and teammates, is it racist? Sale gueules is not an ethnic slur. I get that translated for an article with no context it looks bad, but I’d still, foolishly, hope people would use context as opposed to blind outrage before they label someone a bigot.

Pickle85

I think my original post covered that already. If you call an Asian person the same insult you use on your own friends and teammates, is it racist? Sale gueules is not an ethnic slur. I get that translated for an article with no context it looks bad, but I’d still, foolishly, hope people would use context as opposed to blind outrage before they label someone a bigot.
But what about: "What kind of backward language is that?" and "Are you technologically advanced in your country or not?"

Is that a mistranslation? Because that's definitely racist.

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal

We are talking about everything he said, not just “sale geueles”. If not racist then there is a lot of xenophobia in what he was saying and is thoroughly unacceptable on any level.

diarm

Cant they terminate Dembele's contract? Only a year left so it would cost about 11m euros. Or do they not even have that cash?
With a video like this, you'd imagine they could fire him for a lot less than 11m.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
But what about: "What kind of backward language is that?" and "Are you technologically advanced in your country or not?"

Is that a mistranslation? Because that's definitely racist.
It is a mistranslation. First of all he doesn’t say what kind of backward language is that, he says (roughly), “whoa damn the language” (meaning he has no idea what they’re saying), and “Damn, are you advanced or not in your country?” The language quote is the only one where I can understand people taking offense to it, regardless of context, it’s ignorant but I wouldn’t say racist. Just like when someone would say “Sacrebleu” and imitate a French person I would say they’re dumb but not racist. Racism is a very strong word to use on someone, and it gets thrown around at the drop of a hat with no context. As far as the technology comment, he’s not making a claim on Asians but the fact there’s 3 people in their room to fix a PlayStation. Asian countries are considered pretty advanced technologically, so he makes a joke about that. It’s stupid to record yourself saying it because inevitably there’s going to be people who take offense to it but there’s no hate or racism behind his comments.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Footballers in general are not the smartest bunch, but this prick takes all the shitcake. Feck him and feck his deficient celebrations.
One can be a bit dim and not be racist. It's basic human decency.

MUFC OK

With a video like this, you'd imagine they could fire him for a lot less than 11m.
Depends on the contract obvs. If it amounts to gross misconduct bringing his employer into disrepute, then I would imagine that's a possibility.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
We are talking about everything he said, not just “sale geueles”. If not racist then there is a lot of xenophobia in what he was saying and is thoroughly unacceptable on any level.
You’re trying to act as if Demebele is some kind of ambassador in foreign relations. He’s a kid who will make the same dumb jokes any other kid coming where he’s coming from would. When I first heard of the video, I expected the worse, but this is really not a big deal and the most inflammatory comment, the sale gueules, is the one that could most easily be misconstrued as racist, which is why I focused on it the most. Dembele is not someone I’d ever consider bright or polished socially, but he’s not a bad guy and he’s certainly not a racist. He’s a clown and behaves that way, I can understand people getting upset but I won’t accept labeling someone a racist based on these comments.

DoomSlayer

Here we go, the excuses for racism are starting when we like the people who have been racist. :lol:

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
You’re trying to act as if Demebele is some kind of ambassador in foreign relations.
This is just hyperbole. Nowhere have I asked him to be a diplomat of foreign relations nor has anybody else in this thread. Asking him to apply the most basic standards of common decency is not asking much. Joe bloggs down the road should be capable of and knowing better than to make xenophobic comments or at the very least incredibly rude comments to someone doing their job so it is beyond me why you feel that this very basic trait of human decency can only be achieved from a professional foreign relations diplomat.

First of all he doesn’t say what kind of backward language is that, he says (roughly), “whoa damn the language” (meaning he has no idea what they’re saying)
This feels like a weak defense to me. I don’t speak French so I will not tell you that your translation is incorrect but most reputable sources have the translation as “what language is that?”. It was filmed in Japan, he is very aware that they were speaking Japanese and so the comment comes off as derogatory towards their own language.

firstkuyttouch

You’re trying to act as if Demebele is some kind of ambassador in foreign relations. He’s a kid who will make the same dumb jokes any other kid coming where he’s coming from would. When I first heard of the video, I expected the worse, but this is really not a big deal and the most inflammatory comment, the sale gueules, is the one that could most easily be misconstrued as racist, which is why I focused on it the most. Dembele is not someone I’d ever consider bright or polished socially, but he’s not a bad guy and he’s certainly not a racist. He’s a clown and behaves that way, I can understand people getting upset but I won’t accept labeling someone a racist based on these comments.
just locker room bantz, innit?

DoomSlayer

@Sayros I don't see you commenting on the Griezmann video, in which he is making racist noises whilst on a tour with Barcelona in Japan.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Rakuten CEO Hiroshi Mikitani - sponsor of Barcelona - furious with Ousmane Dembélé & Antoine Griezmann incident of alleged racism - announces official protest against the football club.

Can anyone verify this?

Santos J

Rakuten CEO Hiroshi Mikitani - sponsor of Barcelona - furious with Ousmane Dembélé & Antoine Griezmann incident of alleged racism - announces official protest against the football club.

Can anyone verify this?

Protest reads as a bit of a mistranslation and it should be more "discuss with club" I think but not sure.

pltan

So that guy in the stand yelling Monkey isn’t racist …..because he goes home and calls his kid a monkey. Got it.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
This is perfect for Barcelona. Two players in big wages caught being racist on film.

Sack them with just cause, save a million a week and give all your money to Messi as quickly as possible.

Neymar

Not a peasant
Supports
Neymar & Messi
It's a great opportunity to get rid of Griezmann; Barca should be all over this, acting outraged and alerting everyone that Griezmann is up for sale. He's just awful for them anyway, he needs to go.

I originally thought Dembele was the only racist of the two, since Antoine was only laughing along in the first video while Ousmane went on his xenophobic routine, but now with the second 'ching chong' video it's clear that Griezmann is also racist, perhaps to an even greater degree than Dembele who, it must be said, might be forgiven for his ignorance, although Griezmann certainly cannot.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

If you justify Griezmann's sale by saying he's a racist and bad PR to the club then no one will buy him for these exact reasons.

I don't see how this drama helps Barca unless they can find a way to end his contract

cyberman

This is perfect for Barcelona. Two players in big wages caught being racist on film.

Sack them with just cause, save a million a week and give all your money to Messi as quickly as possible.
But they lose around 150m in transfer fees?
Thats madness

Eddy_JukeZ

Thats madness
How much value do you think Griezmann/Dembele have?

I don't think any club is going near Dembele with his injury woes

As for Griezmann, he's been eh since moving to Barca and is on massive wages

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Thats madness
It was more tongue in cheek, but Dembele only has a year left and they aren’t getting a transfer fee for Greizmann when he is on 800k a week.

It would be a small transfer fee for either considering their wages. Probably a million euro a week?

And more importantly for them, they can actually register the players they have bought while trimming 50 million a year off the wage bill!

Hopefully those players wouldn’t be racist either, which is more than a small bonus.

cyberman

How much value do you think Griezmann/Dembele have?

I don't think any club is going near Dembele with his injury woes

As for Griezmann, he's been eh since moving to Barca and is on massive wages
Theyre still 2 of their biggest assets. I cant think of others they could really sell unless they tear the heart put of the club. As good as Pedri and De Jong are, would they even attract sizable fees? For all the talk of wages, they arent any better in raising funds hence the free transfers.
Thats shocking for the money they spent and for who they are as a club. Qt least with Utd we could sell Pogba, Martial and even a Rashford to get out of a hole while maintaining some kind of standard. Thats a team fighting off 6th for most of the last 7 years

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
@Sayros I don't see you commenting on the Griezmann video, in which he is making racist noises whilst on a tour with Barcelona in Japan.
I did not see that video. Let me look it up right now. I can't find it, it's all the same video of him and Dembele. If you have a link, I'd like to see it.
So that guy in the stand yelling Monkey isn’t racist …..because he goes home and calls his kid a monkey. Got it.
That's a very weak comparison, calling a black player a monkey has obvious and direct connection to racism. Saying 'whoa the language' and 'are you advanced or not technologically' is not at all the same as calling a black person a monkey or calling an Asian person a derogatory word. And before I get labeled as a defender of racists, or that I think it's just locker room talk, I'm not here to defend racism one bit, but I do think it's really important, because it could happen to anybody here, to not immediately look to label someone one of the worst thing you could be labeled as, a bigot/racist. Based solely on the video that's been making the rounds (haven't seen or heard the Greizmann one making racist noise), I don't see anything racist there.

DoomSlayer

I did not see that video. Let me look it up right now. I can't find it, it's all the same video of him and Dembele. If you have a link, I'd like to see it.
It's all over this thread, one poster even shared the original Barcelona video that they have on their YouTube channel.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's all over this thread, one poster even shared the original Barcelona video that they have on their YouTube channel.
Well, I was away for a couple of weeks and just got back a couple of days ago so I'm a bit behind on everything that's happened. I tried to find it on YouTube using all the key words you could try and it's all that video in the hotel room.

Edit: Found it on page 17, yep that's pretty shitty and racist, even if I don't think he is, you can still do racist things. He's 30 too. Incredible.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Full Barca Statement on the video.

FC Barcelona deeply regret the displeasure amongst Japanese and Asian fans and partners of our Club caused by a video that appeared a few days ago on social media in which two first team players (Ousmane Dembélé and Antoine Griezmann) displayed a lack of respect in their attitude towards several employees in the hotel in which they were staying.

This attitude in no way coincides with the values that FC Barcelona represents and defends.

The values of the Club and its sponsors should be something that FC Barcelona protects, and this belief is present at all levels of the organisation, from the Board of Directors and executives to the players in the Club’s various sporting teams.

The Club is committed to improving its education on questions of race, discrimination and diversity. At FC Barcelona there is no place for racism or discrimination.

FC Barcelona would like to apologise publicly to all the Club’s fans and partners who feel unhappy about this event from the summer of 2019, a time when the Club’s responsibilities fell to a Board Directors and executive team previous to the current. The Board of Directors that today manage the Club are committed to making sure episodes of this nature do not repeat themselves.

The players have already shown their regret and have apologised to Japanese fans and partners, something that the Club values. Nevertheless, FC Barcelona reserve the right to take the internal measures that it considers appropriate.

gorky_utd

Great opportunity for barca to sack both. It will help them immensely towards sorting their financial trouble plus they will be able to take a moral high ground.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Are they making half assed apologies just to wind up people? :lol: