Griezmann - Barcelona player

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Benzema fecked a kid and its forgotten about. Nobody is getting sacked
If I remember correctly, that charge was dropped by the French court. Totally wrong, but as an isolated incident, they didn’t have enough proof to suggest that he and Ribery knew the girl was underaged.

Not defending, of course, but it was one incident which was trialed by the French court and he wasn’t charged.

The above behavior shows attitude and beliefs that are deep rooted. They shouldn’t be played down or seen as acceptable even in a joking way.

They should be ashamed that someone is out there promoting the club with these beliefs.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You'd think after blackface-ing the cnut would educate himself but clearly not. Bellend and should have a huge fine and suspension coming his way.

ariveded

The leaks are very selective and dangerous.

It means that somewhere someone has dirt on every player. And it's a matter of how pissed off they ever become.

Oranges038

More faux outrage.

They won't be sacked.

Fined - maybe.

Public apology written by some PR gobshite - probably.

Forgotten about in a few weeks - definitely.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Anyway, that "apology" is very convincing - grand job there by whoever is responsible for it (I hope it's the player himself - if not he's been shafted properly).

What exactly did he say, by the way? The translation posted above seems to be Griezmann's comments only.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Cavani received a ban for using a non-offensive term (in his own language) with zero ill intent, etc.

These two specimens very much seem to take the piss - actively and knowingly - out of people from a different culture/language background (this is the kindest take on it, you could say).

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
Meanwhile this is Dembele's apology :
Wait, what?

“Sorry I was racist on camera and had it posted to social media. Usually I don’t record my racism and just use it as banter with friends.”

That is some ‘apology’. You would have thought he would have someone in charge of social media that could put out the standard “sorry for any offence I caused” and hope to sweep it under the rug. I can only presume he actually wrote that as I doubt anyone employed to run his accounts would have given the green light on that paragraph of sheer stupidity.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
“Sorry I was racist on camera and had it posted to social media. Usually I don’t record my racism and just use it as banter with friends.”
I'd like to know precisely what he said (a correct translation).

It doesn't seem like the sort of context where you can use the old "hey, I'm not racist - I call my friends N-Word regardless of their ethnicity" excuse. *

What Griezmann says, at least, seems to be purely derogatory. It doesn't seem to be any saving grace there at all.

* Well, you can't actually use that excuse - but people do try.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I'd like to know precisely what he said (a correct translation).

It doesn't seem like the sort of context where you can use the old "hey, I'm not racist - I call my friends N-Word regardless of their ethnicity" excuse. *

What Griezmann says, at least, seems to be purely derogatory. It doesn't seem to be any saving grace there at all.

* Well, you can't actually use that excuse - but people do try.
@AllGoodNamesRGone posted this link in the Newbies thread on the topic, which provides a bit more detail and direct translations of what they're saying (i.e., the English translatedthe French very closely, if a bit less colloquially):

https://www.sportbible.com/football...racism-controversy-over-leaked-video-20210703

These are the quotes:
First: "All these ugly faces, just so you can play PES [Pro Evolution Soccer], aren't you ashamed?"

Subsequently: "What kind of backward language is that?" and "Are you technologically advanced in your country or not?"

Last edited:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
What a shit apology, think this is worse than the video itself. :lol:
To be fair to Dembele, at least he’s written it himself! No way a PR-savvy aid has made that shit as his public offering :lol:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Guess it's one of those websites that move on to the next story after a while? Anyway, fixed the link now - sorry about that.
Yeah - probably.

Anyway:

First: "All these ugly faces, just so you can play PES [Pro Evolution Soccer], aren't you ashamed?"

Subsequently: "What kind of backward language is that?" and "Are you technologically advanced in your country or not?"
This is all Dembele, right? Griezmann just grins and nods stupidly.

But the point is that what Dembele seemingly says jibes extremely poorly with his "apology". He says this kind of thing all the time? To his mates? Feck off.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah - probably.

Anyway:

This is all Dembele, right? Griezmann just grins and nods stupidly.

But the point is that what Dembele seemingly says jibes extremely poorly with his "apology". He says this kind of thing all the time? To his mates? Feck off.
Yeah, exactly. Dembélé is filming and saying those things, Griezman is just sitting there.

I guess he's saying it's 'just jokes' or something like that. 'I can't be racist while I'm joking with my mates!'

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
To be fair to Dembele, at least he’s written it himself! No way a PR-savvy aid has made that shit as his public offering :lol:
Let's see if he now makes and apology to his first apology...

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I guess he's saying it's 'just jokes' or something like that. 'I can't be racist while I'm joking with my mates!'
That's the "excuse", it seems.

"Sorry that you all had to see my bigoted crap made public - really sorry, but hey, it wasn't meant to be public, so..."

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
If I remember correctly, that charge was dropped by the French court. Totally wrong, but as an isolated incident, they didn’t have enough proof to suggest that he and Ribery knew the girl was underaged.

Not defending, of course, but it was one incident which was trialed by the French court and he wasn’t charged.
Not to hijack but i wanted to add that Ribery wasn’t charged because the girl in question admitted that she lied to him about her age after he asked her.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Not to hijack but i wanted to add that Ribery wasn’t charged because the girl in question admitted that she lied to him about her age after he asked her.
I can remember hearing that at the time too.

I responded to the poster because it is apparent that celebrities get off with certain behavior all the time, but football makes such a big song and dance about racism, and then when there is flagrant, recorded behavior, nothing is done.

He has shown himself to be an absolute fool in that video and I would be so embarrassed if he was a United player.

Suedesi

Cavani received a ban for using a non-offensive term (in his own language) with zero ill intent, etc.

These two specimens very much seem to take the piss - actively and knowingly - out of people from a different culture/language background (this is the kindest take on it, you could say).
I think Cavani was harshly punished by the FA.

I doubt the Spanish equivalent will do anything.

Racism towards Asians is unfortunately normalized these days

Withnail

Sorry if this has already been posted but I haven't seen it.

Griezmann's also released a non-apology.

I have always been against any form of discrimination. For the past few days some people have been trying to make me out to be the man I am not. I firmly refute the accusations made against me and I am sorry if I have offended my Japanese friends.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

I have always been against any form of discrimination. For the past few days some people have been trying to make me out to be the man I am not. I firmly refute the accusations made against me and I am sorry if I have offended my Japanese friends.
What's the accusations against him in particular? In the video I saw he just sits there grinning without saying anything? Is there something else I haven't seen?

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I can remember hearing that at the time too.

I responded to the poster because it is apparent that celebrities get off with certain behavior all the time, but football makes such a big song and dance about racism, and then when there is flagrant, recorded behavior, nothing is done.

He has shown himself to be an absolute fool in that video and I would be so embarrassed if he was a United player.
Oh, i absolutely agree with you on the topic. Only wanted to highlight why Ribery (while not being the sharpest tool in the shed) got off without any charges.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What's the accusations against him in particular? In the video I saw he just sits there grinning without saying anything? Is there something else I haven't seen?
I think there’s another video of him making fun of Japanese people floating around

Raredaredevil

What a beautiful apology. Probably might as well not do it.

EngimaMK

Sorry, why is griezmann the one getting stick? Surely Dembele is more culpable here? (admittedly both seem to be deserving of some criticism).

... Although I must say, I'm still surprised people seem to look to footballers for moral perfection. It reminds me of the time everyone seemed shocked that Tyson Fury for having some unsavoury views... He punches people in the head for a living, what were you fecking expecting!?!?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Griezmann: "I have always been against all forms of discrimination. Over the past few days, some people have thought I am not the person who they know. I firmly deny the accusations leveled against me & I apologize if I have offended my Japanese friends."

OverratedOpinion

What the feck does he mean by "allegations" it was on camera :lol:

OverratedOpinion

Sorry, why is griezmann the one getting stick? Surely Dembele is more culpable here? (admittedly both seem to be deserving of some criticism).

... Although I must say, I'm still surprised people seem to look to footballers for moral perfection. It reminds me of the time everyone seemed shocked that Tyson Fury for having some unsavoury views... He punches people in the head for a living, what were you fecking expecting!?!?
Bigger name and history of dodgy conduct (blackface).

Nights

I hope Barca throw the book at him and Dembele; I’m sure they’ll be real happy at the prospect of losing the lucrative Japanese and Far East market right now when they’re skint.