Group F (Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea)

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
But I never used or heard the term "Die Mannschaft" before they went and printed it on posters and stuff. For me it is and always has been Die Nationalelf. I'll stick to that, watch me!

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I'd still be surprised if Löw dropped Özil, especially if he stays with three attacking midfielders. Özil wasn't that bad individually against Mexico, he was actually the only midfielder who made it back in time to have a shot at preventing Mexico's goal and against a well organized defense like Sweden's you would want someone with his penetrating passes.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I hope Müller goes to the center instead of the wing, if he plays.

Big Andy

Bloke
But I never used or heard the term "Die Mannschaft" before they went and printed it on posters and stuff. For me it is and always has been Die Nationalelf. I'll stick to that, watch me!
What do you call a team of elves who work in a hospital and don't charge for treatment?

National Elf Service...

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
This. I have never heard an actual German refer to the team as "Die Mannschaft". Nationalelf, yes. Deutschland, yes. "Die Mannschaft" is just one of those German phrases that sounds stereotypical badass in English or something, I guess.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
This. I have never heard an actual German refer to the team as "Die Mannschaft". Nationalelf, yes. Deutschland, yes. "Die Mannschaft" is just one of those German phrases that sounds stereotypical badass in English or something, I guess.
Not really badass, it sounds like "The man's shaft". That's why us Brits like it, it's hilarious as most of us have the sense of humour of a 10 year old!

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Do we? Most people i know just say Deutschland when talking about the team, even the foreign guys in my gym.

Of course we do, without even noticing. Because it is normal to refer to your team as 'the team' for example 'the (german) team was really good today', which simply means 'die (deutsche) Mannschaft war wirklich gut heute'.

OutlawGER

Supports
It has been 'die Nationalmannschaft', if anything. But not die Nationalelf.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So much confusion about the name... why not settle on the one die Mannschaft has chosen for itself. That would be least confusing, wouldn't it?
Maybe Bierhoff had a point after all..

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Of course we do, without even noticing. Because it is normal to refer to your team as 'the team' for example 'the (german) team was really good today', which simply means 'die (deutsche) Mannschaft war wirklich gut heute'.
"Die Mannschaft" is not used without a context indicating which team is meant, and it doesn't default to the Nationalelf.
"Die Mannschaft hat gut gespielt" would possibly generate a "which one?" reply
"Ich habe gestern das Bayernspiel angeschaut. Die Mannschaft hat gut gespielt" works

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
I think it's pathetic how people can get so wind up over just a fecking name. I get the seriousness of the Erdogan scandal but even that took up at least half of this thread. That sums everything up that is wrong with Germany in this World Cup. If the fans are not even united, it probably could be the same for Die Mannschaft. There are so much more worrying issues football related with Saturday's must win game against Sweden or Germany would face elimination in the group stage for the first time in their history. Yet we have fans here still moaning and bitching about a team name. Get a grip and just support your team.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
I think it's pathetic how people can get so wind up over just a fecking name.
I think its pathetic how people think a name which is the product of a collision between an ounce of columbia's finest and the non-too-smart-to-begin-with excuse for a brain of a feckless copywriter in some ad agency always has been there and is the best thing since the Cruyff-Zlatan-bicycle kick step-over pirouette. But i rest my case and propose we call it "Ze German Classicó Mannschaft"

RoyH1

I love the CAF. Having a bunch of eloquent Germans discussing back and forth in perfect English what the most fitting nomenclature to apply to their national team. :lol:

But seriously, good luck against Sweden!

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Any reliable news about the squad? I saw one post saying Ozil will be dropped for Reus, which I do not agree with at all. You need to have a playmaker in the team and Ozil is the only one. Draxler out Reus in, Plattenhadt out Hector in.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Any reliable news about the squad? I saw one post saying Ozil will be dropped for Reus, which I do not agree with at all. You need to have a playmaker in the team and Ozil is the only one. Draxler out Reus in, Plattenhadt out Hector in.
Plattenhardt <-> Hector is kind of a no-brainer. Reus in for *someone* as well, candidates being Müller, Özil, Kedhira. Which one/other changes up to speculation, the team is still giving their best dumb/deaf act, understandably. Löw may consider changing *tactics* more important than changing *personnel*

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Apparently Hummels is out for the Sweden match due to some vertebra injury.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Replacing Hummels with Sule doesn't change much.

Low said today Gomez starting against Sweden is a possibility:wenger:

This is gonna get ugly

DancingPanda

We (sweden) always loses against Germany. I give us a 20% change to grind out a draw, and that's me being optimistic.

OutlawGER

Supports
I love the CAF. Having a bunch of eloquent Germans discussing back and forth in perfect English what the most fitting nomenclature to apply to their national team. :lol:

But seriously, good luck against Sweden!

:lol:

Thanks mate!

OutlawGER

Supports
I predict:

Werner out, Gomez in
Plattenhardt out, Hector in
Khedira or Draxler out, Reus in

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Hector für Plattenhardt and Reus for someone, as well as Hummels being injured seem the only given things at this moment. Based on the Mexico game I'd drop Khedira for Gündogan and Müller should be the one sitting out for Reus, but it would be wrong to base everything on one match, especially since Sweden will probably have a fairly different approach.
Parts of the media are reporting that Löw is thinking about letting Gomez start, because he was the player who attended the press event, but I don't see the logic behind that, unless Löw wants die Mannschaft to play a lot of crosses. And to be honest if he goes back to Gomez and it doesn't work out then he can feck off.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Khedira can’t start again surely. He looked way off the pace against Mexico

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Gomez might work. We need goals, no matter how, and that’s what Gomez is good for.
Well that's the age old argument about Gomez: he promises good finishing for the chances his team creates for him, but his lack of skill on the ball also hinders his teams in creating these chances. Müller and Reus are both clinical finishers, I don't see the need to sacrifice attacking flow for Gomez.
Dropping Werner after one match would also reflect badly on Löw's preparation, because now way playing with Gomez is the best solution with our talent pool.

Goretzka all the way.
I don't see the point in fielding Goretzka for Khedira. The biggest problem with the latter was his positional discipline that kept exposing the back line and Goretzka would just be more of the same. He's been in bad shape since the winter break anyway. I think if Löw makes changes to the CM it will be introducing Gündogan.

Blackwidow

Well that's the age old argument about Gomez: he promises good finishing for the chances his team creates for him, but his lack of skill on the ball also hinders his teams in creating these chances. Müller and Reus are both clinical finishers, I don't see the need to sacrifice attacking flow for Gomez.
Dropping Werner after one match would also reflect badly on Löw's preparation, because now way playing with Gomez is the best solution with our talent pool.

I don't see the point in fielding Goretzka for Khedira. The biggest problem with the latter was his positional discipline that kept exposing the back line and Goretzka would just be more of the same. He's been in bad shape since the winter break anyway. I think if Löw makes changes to the CM it will be introducing Gündogan.
Right now the prediction is that Rüdiger plays for Hummels.
Özil and Khedira out. Both Werner und Gomez play.

The problem against Mexico was that nobody could take over playmaker duties from Kroos - Goretzka is not the player for that either.

RoyH1

Germany need to go all out in this game. A draw here and they're depending on Mexico beating Sweden in the last game.

Eila

What an awful result. Freaking Swedish chokers. Now you go out!

Seven Seas Sardines

Fecking Durmaz, and then the decision of a two-man wall and no player on the post...

Furthermore we should´ve had a penalty and a red card on Rudiger on minute 15. No idea how the corrupt referee didn´t communicate with VAR.

Last edited:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Anyone else think they need to go back to the much-criticised 4 centre backs approach in the 2014 World Cup? It's painful to watch players like Howedes and Mustafi on the ball in so much space, but it's been pretty clear for a long time that the two centre backs need a shitload of protection with the way the team play. Kimmich is a good individual but he's not doing his team any favours playing that way.

Muller's been embarrassingly bad. Feel bad for him. Such a strange player. It's not like there's an embarrassment of riches to replace him but they have to give Brandt a go.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Anyone else think they need to go back to the much-criticised 4 centre backs approach in the 2014 World Cup? It's painful to watch players like Howedes and Mustafi on the ball in so much space, but it's been pretty clear for a long time that the two centre backs need a shitload of protection with the way the team play. Kimmich is a good individual but he's not doing his team any favours playing that way.

Muller's been embarrassingly bad. Feel bad for him. Such a strange player. It's not like there's an embarrassment of riches to replace him but they have to give Brandt a go.
Kimmich is vital and he can't be dropped. If anything, German can try playing him in central midfield to give it some imputus and energy though I do not recommend it.

The 4 CB's approach never worked in the tournament. Germany's best matches came once Lahm moved to RB after the Algeria debacle. Germany were much worse in attack than they were in defence because their attack is zero creativity at the moment, Low has lost his trust in Ozil and Germany do not have a back-up who has the vision he does. Kimmich is one of the better attacking players Germany have at the moment.

Werner really needs to step up his finishing though. Has missed a chance each against Mexico and Sweden that a top striker would be expected to score from, Germany need him to start finding the back of the net.

Kazi

Only Kroos the gun comes to play. Should do everything they can to get the best out of him.