g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Group F (Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea)

Gasolin

I still remember that 1994 world cup when Germany somehow scored 3 goals in the 1st half and Korea was completely stunned, only to get 3-2 with a superb goal from their sweeper.
This time they win 2-0, there so much tactical progress in this team, it really kills me they didn't beat Sweden and tied with Mexico. Really, that team didn't deserve to go out in group stages.

But they provided a victory in a world cup, and for an Asian team, it means a lot of things. In 4 years, some of the guys are going to grow and hopefully, they can qualify out of the group.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Yeah but nothing they did is as weird as Low sniffing and picking. :D
Well we had Scolari who did this to a player from Serbia.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
:lol: Crazy feker. :lol:
With the Serbian prime minister at the time watching the game. Scolari had to go to the public TV to apologise for this, he said he was only defending Quaresma from Dragutinovic. :lol:

debiler

Ok, guys. I'm supporting the hell out of England now. It's only logical - who's gonna kick you out, now that we're gone? But seriously, I hope you keep playing that inspired, energetic football. This year, you have a chance to go deep.

Reactions: Penna

Ban

With the Serbian prime minister at the time watching the game. Scolari had to go to the public TV to apologise for this, he said he was only defending Quaresma from Dragutinovic. :lol:
He was always a bit mental. Ćiro was always a show man too, speaking bollocks, swearing. :D

Yagami

Good post resistant
I still remember that 1994 world cup when Germany somehow scored 3 goals in the 1st half and Korea was completely stunned, only to get 3-2 with a superb goal from their sweeper.
This time they win 2-0, there so much tactical progress in this team, it really kills me they didn't beat Sweden and tied with Mexico. Really, that team didn't deserve to go out in group stages.

But they provided a victory in a world cup, and for an Asian team, it means a lot of things. In 4 years, some of the guys are going to grow and hopefully, they can qualify out of the group.
I didn't see that game but it sounds like an epic. I might have to look that one up one day!

I know where you're coming from, but they only have themselves to blame for not progressing. Some of the defensive errors they made that cost them were bad stuff, and they wasted so many promising attacking moves with poor decisions. It looked like the occasion got to most of them. As much as I wanted them to qualify, I can't make any excuses for them, and at least they got to end on a high with a victory over the world champs.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how their team grows. There were a few promising players on show. The two that stood out for me was their GK (Cho Hyun-Woo) & Hwang Hee-Chan. I've actually seen a bit of Hwang prior to the World Cup for Salzburg in the Europa and I really like him.

Gasolin

I didn't see that game but it sounds like an epic. I might have to look that one up one day!

I know where you're coming from, but they only have themselves to blame for not progressing. Some of the defensive errors they made that cost them were bad stuff, and they wasted so many promising attacking moves with poor decisions. It looked like the occasion got to most of them. As much as I wanted them to qualify, I can't make any excuses for them, and at least they got to end on a high with a victory over the world champs.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how their team grows. There were a few promising players on show. The two that stood out for me was their GK (Cho Hyun-Woo) & Hwang Hee-Chan. I've actually seen a bit of Hwang prior to the World Cup for Salzburg in the Europa and I really like him.
I'd see Son with 4 more years + this guy from Verona (Lee Seung Woo), hopefully he grows better and carries on the left side. Yeah this Hwang Hee-Chan guy is also interesting. Their challenge is going to find the right midfielder to replace Ki and have a more cohesive block over there.

To be fair, in such a "random" tournament like a world cup, you could do a good tournament with some good forwards, a good midfielder, a good central defender and an excellent keeper. That's what teams like Korea should aim for.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'd see Son with 4 more years + this guy from Verona (Lee Seung Woo), hopefully he grows better and carries on the left side. Yeah this Hwang Hee-Chan guy is also interesting. Their challenge is going to find the right midfielder to replace Ki and have a more cohesive block over there.
Yeah, Lee Seung-Woo looks like a talent. Didn't play much here but you can see he has potential. Plus he's already playing in a good league and has come from Barca's academy so he should hopefully have a bright future.

I completely forgot that they'll probably have to replace Ki. That's going to take some doing, but they did alright today without him.
To be fair, in such a "random" tournament like a world cup, you could do a good tournament with some good forwards, a good midfielder, a good central defender and an excellent keeper. That's what teams like Korea should aim for.
Easier said than done. :D It's pretty rare for an international side to have such a good level of player for each position.

Gasolin

You just need one on each line LOL. You need an excellent keeper, and you need more than one good forward. But that's it... and yes, it's easier said than done but you don't need 11 super stars, that's more the point.

Yagami

Good post resistant
You just need one on each line LOL. You need an excellent keeper, and you need more than one good forward. But that's it... and yes, it's easier said than done but you don't need 11 super stars, that's more the point.
Oh, I know and agree with you, but it's still pretty rare. Their GK looked good, and they have Son, so, for the next tournament, we can only hope that the likes of Lee Seung-Woo and Hwang Hee Chan have progressed to a good standard. Maybe another talent will come out of the blue, too. There's plenty of promise in this team!

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Suprisingly I'm not that bothered by die Mannschaft being eliminated, it never felt like they would retain the title. Löw needs to go though, the Mexico match by itself was a sackable offence.

Red For Ever

Ok, guys. I'm supporting the hell out of England now. It's only logical - who's gonna kick you out, now that we're gone? But seriously, I hope you keep playing that inspired, energetic football. This year, you have a chance to go deep.
Well at least we have less chance of being knocked out on Penalties now

Ban

Suprisingly I'm not that bothered by die Mannschaft being eliminated, it never felt like they would retain the title. Löw needs to go though, the Mexico match by itself was a sackable offence.
What's the atmosphere like in the media and among people in general? I guess it's not exactly rosy. :D

Seven Seas Sardines

I was kinda laughing at the confidence of the Swedish team last night. They claimed "Mexico had the tequila out, and must have been shocked over Germany's 95th minute equaliser. They won't be ready for us!".

Amazed that they were correct! Mentality of this team is incredible, and we've got quite a few youngsters coming through after winning U20 Euros. Just need some quality attackers and we can be a force to reckon with come Qatar 2022.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Can't believe Germany finished bottom, absolutely shocking. I think they did what Spain did in 2014 - try to use the same tactics, unfortunately their style has become predictable and teams have figured out how to stop them.

Gomez and Brandt should've started, Werner is too inexperienced and Germany needed a big man upfront to give their team a focal point and Gomez was the man for the job. But all credit to South Korea, it's just a shame they went out too.

Scarlet_Emperor

Supports
CR Flamengo
People may dislike or be slightly disappointed by Brazilian performance because they aren't eating their opponents alive as it was thought by many people before the WC starts, but the truth is that this Brazilian squad is still one of the best teams of this tournament beyond a shadow of doubt.

Coutinho has been the best Brazilian player and he's one of the highlights of this WC until now. Casemiro plays safely and give great support in the defense that's still not a solid wall but both center-backs are good players and have enough potential to grow in the WC as Roque Junior and Lúcio did in 2002. Neymar played better against Serbia in comparison with the two previous matches and may still mess up many defenses with their skills... not brilliant enough to fulfill all expectations; however, he worked more as a teamplayer tonight and he tends to improve his exhibitions after healing his injuries, which I think it's a good sign. Firmino demonstrated he's very competent to replace Jesus, so this issue doesn't worry me. My main concern is about the right-left: Fagner and Danilo aren't good enough to build up the game on that sector, as a consequence, Brazil still exploits so much the left side. Daniel Alves could definitely change this panorama.

In light of my above observation, I'm still claiming this team is far from being as average as some people argue here. Just forget a little about "Futebol Bonito/Arte" and think objectively about the qualities of this squad. For a while, very few teams might be playing better than Brazil. Probably Spain and maybe Belgium (we're going to see their first bulletproof tomorrow) until now. They aren't the most entertaining team in this World Cup, but it's not wise to underestimate them.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Can't believe Germany finished bottom, absolutely shocking. I think they did what Spain did in 2014 - try to use the same tactics, unfortunately their style has become predictable and teams have figured out how to stop them.

Gomez and Brandt should've started, Werner is too inexperienced and Germany needed a big man upfront to give their team a focal point and Gomez was the man for the job. But all credit to South Korea, it's just a shame they went out too.
I disagree about Gomez. Your centre forward shouldn't be heading the ball directly at the opposition keeper, twice. That is below sub-standard. Brandt, too. Aside from a couple of decent shots, he didn't look very useful.

Two things; Loew was spoiled for choice and unfortunately picked the wrong squad. Furthermore he suffered from a common ailment among long term managers, loyalty to his player's reputations. This exacerbated his selection errors. Oezil, Khederia, Mueller, Gomez, and Hummels all featured heavily and none of them had any business being in Russia.

Saving a rant for Kimmich who may have been more effective had he been an actual cabbage.

UDontMessWith24

With all the players Germany produces it's baffling to me that they called up so many players on the decline. The bigger issue is they got their goals mainly from two players over the past 2 world cups. One is retired and the other is a shell of his former self and nobody picked up the slack, especially not the German Welbeck aka Timo Werner.

Charles Miller

People may dislike or be slightly disappointed by Brazilian performance because they aren't eating their opponents alive as it was thought by many people before the WC starts, but the truth is that this Brazilian squad is still one of the best teams of this tournament beyond a shadow of doubt.

Coutinho has been the best Brazilian player and he's one of the highlights of this WC until now. Casemiro plays safely and give great support in the defense that's still not a solid wall but both center-backs are good players and have enough potential to grow in the WC as Roque Junior and Lúcio did in 2002. Neymar played better against Serbia in comparison with the two previous matches and may still mess up many defenses with their skills... not brilliant enough to fulfill all expectations; however, he worked more as a teamplayer tonight and he tends to improve his exhibitions after healing his injuries, which I think it's a good sign. Firmino demonstrated he's very competent to replace Jesus, so this issue doesn't worry me. My main concern is about the right-left: Fagner and Danilo aren't good enough to build up the game on that sector, as a consequence, Brazil still exploits so much the left side. Daniel Alves could definitely change this panorama.

In light of my above observation, I'm still claiming this team is far from being as average as some people argue here. Just forget a little about "Futebol Bonito/Arte" and think objectively about the qualities of this squad. For a while, very few teams might be playing better than Brazil. Probably Spain and maybe Belgium (we're going to see their first bulletproof tomorrow) until now. They aren't the most entertaining team in this World Cup, but it's not wise to underestimate them.
Wrong thread?

99withaflake

Sad to see the Germans go out. Wanted all the big teams to progress.
Delighted to see them go out. It's great to have at least one upset at this stage.

Italy and Holland don't qualify, Germany out at the group stages, Argentina and Portugal scrape through, Brazil and Spain not playing brilliantly. Crazy but refreshing stuff!

Micky Targaryen

Sad to see the Germans go out. Wanted all the big teams to progress.
That's the beauty of this World Cup. As a neutral, I would've stopped watching if the tournament was so predictable.

On a side note, really impressed with Ochoa and Mexico so far in the tournament. Great stuff.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
I am depressed. I feel like suicide. Still hasn't sink in for me. I'm shell-shocked.

A-man

Yes the German team has had better players but it must something else. There is between 0-2 players from Sweden, Mexico or South Korea who would take a place in Germany’s starting XI. It must be bad tactics and perhaps poor luck (however only points came from a 95 minute free kick so can’t really blame on poor luck).

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
You being Chinese is no justification for perpetuating racism against your own kind. What an uncle tom attitude to have, no wonder racism continues to exist when people like you continue to normalize it. You should be ashamed of yourself as a man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Tom
Jaysus! Thank god I have you looking out for us minorities.

Last edited: