Group F (Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea)

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
There’s also a lot of irony about Swedish complaints about that two guys behavior after the match when half the country was on the pitch to claim that red for Boateng :wenger:
We understand that you are uber-biased, but stop being ridiculous.

It was a good game, and your team won, as they deserved; enjoy it. We all have an exciting last group stage match ahead of us.

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
Durmaz has been getting a lot of racist abuse since last night. Football sometimes is a sad reflection of society.
A very sad reflection of what is going on in Sweden. A racist party is being more popular than ever in Sweden, and unfortunately it shows in other corners of our society as well. However, it makes me glad on the other hand that there is a big manifestation accross Sweden to stand by Durmaz, yet it makes me worried and sad that it goes so far. :(

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
But I don't think Gündogan is that bad of an option alongside Kroos, either. Some years ago a midfield consisting of Kroos and Modric won the CL. People tend to forget that Casemiro took some time under Zidane to get into the starting eleven. Kroos and Gündogan looks similar to me.
That is absolutely false, Zizou started without Casemiro in his first couple of matches in the league, but since the away CL game vs Wolfsburg in his first year, till his last the day at the club it was always Casemiro (Kovacic), Kroos, Modric. A 2 man midfield of Modric/Kroos wouldn't work, let alone with Gundagon who is a lesser player than Moric in all aspects esp. defensively.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
That is absolutely false, Zizou started without Casemiro in his first couple of matches in the league, but since the away CL game vs Wolfsburg in his first year, till his last the day at the club it was always Casemiro (Kovacic), Kroos, Modric. A 2 man midfield of Modric/Kroos wouldn't work, let alone with Gundagon who is a lesser player than Moric in all aspects esp. defensively.
Just checked it and I were wrong. Guess my memory let me down on this one. However, they played many games in the league and the earlier phases of the CL with a Modric/Kroos midfield. Sometimes they even played a 4-3-3 with Kroos, Isco and Modric together. But you are right, especially in the KO stages, Casemiro played.

debiler

A very sad reflection of what is going on in Sweden. A racist party is being more popular than ever in Sweden, and unfortunately it shows in other corners of our society as well. However, it makes me glad on the other hand that there is a big manifestation accross Sweden to stand by Durmaz, yet it makes me worried and sad that it goes so far. :(
This might sound strange, but I'm quite relieved to see these racist tendencies in Sweden. Before you guys skin me alive, please allow me to explain: We all know about the controversy regarding Özil and Gündogan and what an uproar they caused in Germany. I was outraged and disgusted not by the actual, genuine concerns many people had about the both of them taking that picture, but by the level of blind and unreflected hatred and threats they received for it. Reading those comments made me sad and ashamed to be german.
But the whole thing about Durmaz made me realize that it's actually not just a german thing. Scandinavian countries are always shown in a very positive light down here, Sweden especially seems like a futuristic utopia full of beautiful people from the outside. But as it turns out, racists and dimwits are everywhere, not just in Germany. Who knows? Maybe a big, international tournament might even unite some countries of the world in their struggle against hate and bigotry.

Last edited:

Hank S

Supports
Good football
What I found a bit weird is that Kroos (and possibly others?) said after the game: "Many wanted us to fail." (paraphrased)
Is that so? For my money there was and is no special atmosphere that wants the team to fail. Seemed a bit precious to me. But whatever makes them feel good.

What do the other German caf posters say?

The German victory celebrations/provocation in front of the Swedish bench: Smalltime.
And who was it? The DFB office manager and a DFB media/TV-coordinator. :wenger:

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
We understand that you are uber-biased, but stop being ridiculous.

It was a good game, and your team won, as they deserved; enjoy it. We all have an exciting last group stage match ahead of us.
So that was uber-classy and that other minor incident deserved a national uproar? Okay. I think it's both to be ignored, but that's just me (and different standards by some people). Touch your own nose and shut up about it, as we would say in Germany.

debiler

What I found a bit weird is that Kroos (and possibly others?) said after the game: "Many wanted us to fail." (paraphrased)
Is that so? For my money there was and is no special atmosphere that wants the team to fail. Seemed a bit precious to me. But whatever makes them feel good.

There is, actually. If you look at the DFB forums section of transfermarkt.de, you can detect a strong anti-Mannschaft and an even stronger anti-Löw movement. It may be mostly personal, because most of them just can't seem to stand Jogi's face or whatever, but it's definitely there. The main topic appears to be this: When we win, it's in spite of Löw's tactics. When we lose, it's because of his tactics. So yeah - many folks around here want our team to fail so that we can get rid of him. Tbh, I say feck 'em.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
There is, actually. If you look at the DFB forums section of transfermarkt.de, you can detect a strong anti-Mannschaft and an even stronger anti-Löw movement. It may be mostly personal, because most of them just can't seem to stand Jogi's face or whatever, but it's definitely there. The main topic appears to be this: When we win, it's in spite of Löw's tactics. When we lose, it's because of his tactics. So yeah - many folks around here want our team to fail so that we can get rid of him. Tbh, I say feck 'em.
I don't like Low but in no way would I sacrifice the success of the team to see him out. I think it's more down to the Ozil/Gundogan fiasco and the toxicity around the fans support for the team with them in there, it may have had a personal impact on them as well; disgraceful from the fans and I don't disagree with Kroos that some want the team to lose because of it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
To me Kroos words sounded like a disconnect from reality, but if they have a little Mourinho-esque siege mentality going on in die Mannschaft it probably doesn't hurt for the tournament and the good thing is Löw wouldn't even have to antagonize players to get there.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
To me Kroos words sounded like a disconnect from reality, but if they have a little Mourinho-esque siege mentality going on in die Mannschaft it probably doesn't hurt for the tournament and the good thing is Löw wouldn't even have to antagonize players to get there.
What else should he assume if his fans are already booing the team before the tournament starts?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What else should he assume if his fans are already booing the team before the tournament starts?
Some fans booing two particular players for a specific reason, doesn't equate to the press and nation wanting die Mannschaft to fail.

Hank S

Supports
Good football
Did they? Or "just" Özil and Gündogan?

That could be... Though I have not experienced anything special in contrast to other years. But I'm not reading other forums at the minute so don't know much about it apart from my real life experience.

Löw definately is/was not my (and many others) favourite manager tactic wise. But after the WC win I thought and still think you at least have to give it to him that he seems to be able to build a coherent team and a positive atmosphere. I think as Madrids manager Mourinho also once said, that Özil and Khedira always come back with positive energy after an international break and he appreciates that. I don't think thats the case for every national team.

Well and this was also my gist of it. "In an age of social media not everyone loves us!" :annoyed:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Some fans booing two particular players for a specific reason, doesn't equate to the press and nation wanting die Mannschaft to fail.
How many there were, they were clearly audible during the game. And look at this thread in itself, there are pages dedicated to the argument regarding Ozil and Gundogan; I don't live in Germany myself but there wasn't a debate going on there regarding them?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
How many there were, they were clearly audible during the game. And look at this thread in itself, there are pages dedicated to the argument regarding Ozil and Gundogan; I don't live in Germany myself but there wasn't a debate going on there regarding them?
So what? It's a democracy, thus people debate things?
"You debated Özil and Gündogan, so you obviously want die Mannschaft to fail in Russia!" Is that what you're telling me?

Puritanica

Supports
Ubon UMT
The media was very harsh after the Mexico game, I guess players were not used to that anymore since this was the first really bad game in a tournament for ages.
Despite some fans don't rate Löw, they want the national team to do well.
The Özil & Gündogan topic will come up after the world cup again, now it's not an issue at all.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
So what? It's a democracy, thus people debate things?
"You debated Özil and Gündogan, so you obviously want die Mannschaft to fail in Russia!" Is that what you're telling me?
When did I say it's not a democracy? What I'm saying is that if you debate this issue and openly boo the players then you have to admit it creates a toxic atmosphere around the team. No one is saying you can't, but you definitely should be criticised for it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
When did I say it's not a democracy? What I'm saying is that if you debate this issue and openly boo the players then you have to admit it creates a toxic atmosphere around the team. No one is saying you can't, but you definitely should be criticised for it.
First of all I and the majority of people didn't boo anyone. Secondly this debate wasn't created by the public it was created by Özil and Gündogan and it has been significantly exacerbated by the "it's a world cup, so shut up" mentality that the DFB and Kroos apparently have regarding this topic.
I also find it ridiculous to try to forge some arbitrary logical connection between discussing two players and wanting die whole Mannschaft to fail. It's simply not there and it's a cheap attempt at using the sporting side of things to silence a political debate.

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
So that was uber-classy and that other minor incident deserved a national uproar? Okay. I think it's both to be ignored, but that's just me (and different standards by some people). Touch your own nose and shut up about it, as we would say in Germany.
And yet you are butthurt about it?:lol: One would think Germnay lost, going by your posts - or that you are not used to winning. You are german for feck sake, that win was like an ordinary day for you guys - get a grip:lol:

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
It's simply not there and it's a cheap attempt at using the sporting side of things to silence a political debate.
That "debate" basically revolved around the unspoken idea of revoking their citizenships. It was just a welcomed opportunity for the AfD for further the discussion about what can be considered as "Truly German" and what not.
Yes, letting themselves become a part of Erdogan's campaign machinery was a pretty dumb move, but what happened afterwards defied any semblance of appropriateness. The term "debate" implies an exchange of arguments within the boundaries of a constructive discussion. None of that could be seen there, just bucket loads of vitriol, and AFD's "Blood'n Soil" messaging. There were *a lot* of "I can't identify myself with a team that has people like Ozil in it" messages coming from that corner, in public, by people like Mrs. Weidel.
Yeah, so within that context, I can very well understand if some people in the squad get defensive about what happened to their team mates.

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
This might sound strange, but I'm quite relieved to see these racist tendencies in Sweden. Before you guys skin me alive, please allow me to explain: We all know about the controversy regarding Özil and Gündogan and what an uproar they caused in Germany. I was outraged and disgusted not by the actual, genuine concerns many people had about the both of them taking that picture, but by the level of blind and unreflected hatred and threats they received for it. Reading those comments made me sad and ashamed to be german.
But the whole thing about Durmaz made me realize that it's actually not just a german thing. Scandinavian countries are always shown in a very positive light down here, Sweden especially seems like a futuristic utopia full of beautiful people from the outside. But as it turns out, racists and dimwits are everywhere, not just in Germany. Who knows? Maybe a big, international tournament might even unite some countries of the world in their struggle against hate and bigotry.
I understand you; and I agree, Scandinavian countries got very well reputation, but the truth is... well, it may seem perfect from the outside, but it is definetly not the case if you'd live here. Although, I can only speak about my own experience as a Swede in Sweden in this case. I love my country for so many reasons, but can't deny the fact that we must be the lonliest people on the planet (so many people are so self-conscious that we may seem socially retarded), and since many later years there are problems with growing racist political stand; a sad development that we have seen accross Europe - as you also mentioned.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That "debate" basically revolved around the unspoken idea of revoking their citizenships. It was just a welcomed opportunity for the AfD for further the discussion about what can be considered as "Truly German" and what not.
Yes, letting themselves become a part of Erdogan's campaign machinery was a pretty dumb move, but what happened afterwards defied any semblance of appropriateness. The term "debate" implies an exchange of arguments within the boundaries of a constructive discussion. None of that could be seen there, just bucket loads of vitriol, and AFD's "Blood'n Soil" messaging. There were *a lot* of "I can't identify myself with a team that has people like Ozil in it" messages coming from that corner, in public, by people like Mrs. Weidel.
Yeah, so within that context, I can very well understand if some people in the squad get defensive about what happened to their team mates.
Right. That's why it was debated and criticised across all spectrums. TAZ is a right wing outlet as well I guess?
http://www.taz.de/!5511556/

Regarding Kroos:
Mario Gomez: "few times has internal criticism aligned with the media's criticism to this extend"

Last edited:

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern

They're mostly referring to the press and pundits. Most of the football fans are just that, football fans. They'll be frustrated, ecstatic and devastated depending on the outcome of the last game. But they'll always be behind the team if they show proper mentality. Having said that, Germans haven't felt as confident in the team as in 2014. Not putting blame on specific players, but Lahm, Schweinsteiger and Klose combined a lot of experience and the mentality on how to come back from bitter, bitter defeats. It's that steel like mentality that was lacking in the first game. It's that steel mentality that made them force the victory against Sweden. So we're a bit more confident now actually. They need to show it's not just a one time thing against SK, though. They need to absolutely destroy SK. Then it's game on in the knockout stages...

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
First of all I and the majority of people didn't boo anyone. Secondly this debate wasn't created by the public it was created by Özil and Gündogan and it has been significantly exacerbated by the "it's a world cup, so shut up" mentality that the DFB and Kroos apparently have regarding this topic.
I also find it ridiculous to try to forge some arbitrary logical connection between discussing two players and wanting die whole Mannschaft to fail. It's simply not there and it's a cheap attempt at using the sporting side of things to silence a political debate.
Saying "they shouldn't be part of the team" or doubting that they are German and booing them during matches is not a political debate. Like I said, a political debate is always welcome but what transpired was anything but that.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Saying "they shouldn't be part of the team" or doubting that they are German and booing them during matches is not a political debate. Like I said, a political debate is always welcome but what transpired was anything but that.
What transpired is that everyone from left to right took issue with those pictures and how it was handled. Trying to reduce this to the reaction from the (far) right is - again - just a cheap way to dismiss a valid public debate/discussion.

Yeah, that taz-article is surely representative for the overall tone of the "debate"...
Well, go on framing Kroos as a political activist whose aim is to silence "worried citizens".
I'm not trying to frame Kroos as anything, especially since I don't even know what he meant specifically- mostly thanks to a toothless reporter who didn't ask him to elobarate on that statement. I just said that I see it as a disconnect from reality when someone says the whole press and nation want die Mannschaft to fail.

robbie81

Supports
Chelsea
They called Erdogan "my president" , people are supposed to ignore that?

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I'm not trying to frame Kroos as anything,
Straight from the horses' mouth

I just said that I see it as a disconnect from reality when someone says the whole press and nation want die Mannschaft to fail.
Except he never said "the whole press and nation", he merely referred to "some". And in that he's hardly wrong, there's enough material circling around. That you're trying so hard to distort his message is quite telling...

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Straight from the horses' mouth
That was in response to a particular post, not to Kroos.

Except he never said "the whole press and nation", he merely referred to "some". And in that he's hardly wrong, there's enough material circling around. That you're trying so hard to distort his message is quite telling...
He said relatively many ["relativ viele"] which I took as a lot, but after watching the interview again I can see that maybe I've misinterpreted it, it's a pity Delling just let that hang in the air without asking him to clarify. I'm not sure what you're think is telling though. Personally I'm not even sure whether he was hinting at Gündogan and Özil at all, that was brought up by another user. I wouldn't be surprised if he just meant the reaction towards the Mexico match.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Reducing this to the AfD is stupid. There's been valid criticism from many sides and they need to take it on. They haven't. How anyone with a German passport, supposed to feel at home in this land and this democracy, can do something like this is simply beyond me. I'm sorry. And I won't look past it just because "it's the world cup, duh". They have done nothing to explain it so they shouldn't complain that they are being criticized.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Grindel - our much beloved DFB president - apparently already gave Löw a job guarantee even if things go sideways today. :wenger:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Grindel - our much beloved DFB president - apparently already gave Löw a job guarantee even if things go sideways today. :wenger:
Can easily me interpreted as something else. Given the rest of the post it might be that something else.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The french FA did the same months ago with Deschamps extending his contract for after the WC. It can easily be interpreted as financially securing their buddies in the worst possible scenario and at the best he still works with them

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The french FA did the same months ago with Deschamps extending his contract for after the WC. It can easily be interpreted as financially securing their buddies in the worst possible scenario and at the best he still works with them
He did so via an interview, hours before die Mannschaft might get eliminated in group stages. I think he means it.