Guardian: Manchester United lose £200m training kit deal over fans’ anti-Glazers campaign

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I can never remember if Jamie Jackson is worth listening to or not but this is the only thing they'll take notice of

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
That’s going to make them sweat

diarm

That explains yesterdays letter to the fans.

This is what will hurt them. Keep the foot down now until we see actions and not just carefully manufactured PR releases.

Last edited:

Mindhunter

People thinking this is good is horrible. This will ensure we go further behind the oil and oligarch clubs.

United fans will never win a war of attrition with the Glazers. It’s totally one sided.

What’s next? People saying good we didn’t qualify for the CL as that would mean more money for the Glazers?

Ole and the team are already facing the brunt of the previous protest by having to play 4 games in 8 days but that’s just a temporary pain.

Do fans really want to create permanent pain by going behind the oil clubs in market power?

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Wow, that’s encouraging. Prolly more to do with them being based in Manchester though. Now if our truly global sponsors started taking action...

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
If true it’s the biggest win from the protest

prateik

20m/year. they'll easily get that much.. from someone.

Is there any quote/acknowledgment from The Hut Group saying that the protests were the reason they didnt go through with it?

Nonsense clickbaity bs most likely.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
People thinking this is good is horrible. This will ensure we go further behind the oil and oligarch clubs.

United fans will never win a war of attrition with the Glazers. It’s totally one sided.

What’s next? People saying good we didn’t qualify for the CL as that would mean more money for the Glazers?

Ole and the team are already facing the brunt of the previous protest by having to play 4 games in 8 days but that’s just a temporary pain.

Do fans really want to create permanent pain by going behind the oil clubs in market power?
The club is nearly 150 years old and has had a lot worse moments than losing a sponsor.If you can’t see that this is the only way to get the Glazer’s to listen, you haven’t been paying attention.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Been championing this type of action instead of breaking into the stadium and many posters said I and others were daft and naive.

£200m sponsorship deal gone Who's naive now?

Gopher Brown

I’m both bemused at the idea that sponsoring our training kit is worth more than £200m to a company and impressed the club managed to trick them into potentially paying that much.

The money spent on advertising by some companies is madness to me. I’d never consider buying a Chevrolet, even if they were available here. And I’ve never eaten an Aon in my life.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Where are all you "attacking the sponsors is stupid and won't work" know-it-alls now?

Excellent :drool:

diarm

Been championing this type of action instead of breaking into the stadium and many posters said I and others were daft and naive.

Without the protest and breaking into the stadium, there is no guarantee this happened. The momentum gained from last Sunday has snowballed into what we're seeing now.

Those calling for sensible, polite, weak protest owe a debt of thanks to those who were willing to stand up and be counted.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

You must realise that the match day protest was a catalyst to these sort of digital protests. They might have eventually happened but until the protest, they hadn’t and now they have.It motivated people and brought the issue to the attention of the world.

Mindhunter

The club is nearly 150 years old and has had a lot worse moments than losing a sponsor.If you can’t see that this is the only way to get the Glazer’s to listen, you haven’t been paying attention.
They own 78% of the club. 150 years of history means absolutely nothing.

The only way we can get rid of them is by getting better as a business that enables them to exit. Reducing the cost of their asset via protests and intimidation of sponsors isn’t going to get them a buyer who can afford to buy the club from them.

All it does is destroys our chances to remain competitive. For example, forget about buying Sancho now while all other clubs around us strengthen. We are cutting the very branch we are sitting on.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
In what way have they come to the table and engaged?
By Joel Glazer sending two letters - one of which responding to MUST demands - and talking about fan purchase of shares, government legislation of fan representation at board level and infrastructure investment on stadium/training facilities - and agreeing to attend the fan forum later this month. After 16 years of absolute silence that is engagement. It’s only words but I personally think they have to follow it up with actions. It’s about getting solid commitments with timelines and holding them to account now which I trust MUST to do.

FreddieTheReddie

People demanding owners to clear debts and make some big name signings then applauding when we lose 200 million???

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
It’s fair to say they having a shite few weeks! Their profit off the United arrangement alone up to this point is enough to set their family up for many generations without ever having to worry so I don’t get fans crying about them losing a bit of extra pocket money so the fans can get a voice. short term pain for long term gain. They won’t spend as much on transfers? So what. It’s all pointless if the match going fans and the community around the club aren’t happy

Mindhunter

Only to those willing to accept that.
I mean it doesn’t mean anything from the perspective of the preserving the current financial value of the club and the loss we will incur if we don’t remain competitive.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
They own 78% of the club. 150 years of history means absolutely nothing.

The only way we can get rid of them is by getting better as a business that enables them to exit. Reducing the cost of their asset via protests and intimidation of sponsors isn’t going to get them a buyer who can afford to buy the club from them.

All it does is destroys our chances to remain competitive. For example, forget about buying Sancho now while all other clubs around us strengthen. We are cutting the very branch we are sitting on.
So it’s their club and theirs alone and we as fans shouldn’t have any problems with screwing things up for them?

Or, we as fans should accept that while it’s no longer our club and is most definitely theirs, we should just accept that and hope that in spite of their parasitic administration, we somehow become competitive again and live in pure ignorant bliss feeding on scraps of joy from any success we might have?

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
What action :confused: angry letter to the sponsors ?
These sponsorship deals don't happen overnight. This would have been discussed for a while. All new prospective sponsors will be carrying out extensive market research before committing to such a big financial outlay. Aint nobody going to want to be having their name attached to a football club who's fans are blatantly attempting to attack their sponsors in any way they can.

You can bet your bottom dollar that this isn't the only proposed sponsorship deal we had in the pipeline. This is the kind of shit that is going to have the Glazers sweating.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
People demanding owners to clear debts and make some big name signings then applauding when we lose 200 million???
How much did we get off Chevrolet and Adidas, close to a billion and the dept has increased, the stadium is becoming a relic, we haven’t challenged for the league since those 2 deals either, they went into paying the interest on the dept as would this.

Deery

Dreary
Well that’s Haaland out the window, probably Pogba leaving as well.

DoomSlayer

Just waiting for alexthelion and a few others to come in and start going now look what you guys did…. Poor glazers can’t win with ungrateful fans like us
We already have one in the thread, but no doubt the rest will follow to save their favourite owners from the incoming shots, prime De Gea-style.