Guardian: Manchester United lose £200m training kit deal over fans’ anti-Glazers campaign

dave1956

The Cheshire based company with offices by Manchester Airport informed Richard Arnold, the club's managing director on Friday that they were pulling out od the deal which was due to commence on 1st July.
Citing concerns that they feared that their brand(s) would be boycotted, due to the on line campaign by a Utd., supporters group with the hashtag, " Notapennymore", which has called for the boycoytt of the club's major partners.
Source : Guardian on line headlines today

FreddieTheReddie

How much did we get off Chevrolet and Adidas, close to a billion and the dept has increased, the stadium is becoming a relic, we haven’t challenged for the league since those 2 deals either, they went into paying the interest on the dept as would this.
Ok. I hope losing money will solve our problems, fix the roof, buy Sancho etc. If they didn’t do with extra 200m, they will certainly do without it. Or sell the club to some human right abusers who can do their laundry at Old Trafford.

reelworld

Been championing this type of action instead of breaking into the stadium and many posters said I and others were daft and naive.

£200m sponsorship deal gone Who's naive now?
You wont get the traction the protests deserve without the whole breaking into the stadium stuff. The fact that supporters postponed the biggest fixture in English football made sure that the protest made the news worldwide

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
I’m both bemused at the idea that sponsoring our training kit is worth more than £200m to a company and impressed the club managed to trick them into potentially paying that much.

The money spent on advertising by some companies is madness to me. I’d never consider buying a Chevrolet, even if they were available here. And I’ve never eaten an Aon in my life.
So your concept on advertising is that it's worthless because it hasn't worked on you .

hubbuh

Been championing this type of action instead of breaking into the stadium and many posters said I and others were daft and naive.

:lol: that anyone could think this withdrawal happened as a result of anything other than the direct protests in and around Old Trafford is astounding to me.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
People thinking this is good is horrible. This will ensure we go further behind the oil and oligarch clubs.

United fans will never win a war of attrition with the Glazers. It’s totally one sided.

What’s next? People saying good we didn’t qualify for the CL as that would mean more money for the Glazers?

Ole and the team are already facing the brunt of the previous protest by having to play 4 games in 8 days but that’s just a temporary pain.

Do fans really want to create permanent pain by going behind the oil clubs in market power?
Yes - permanent pain for the leeches. Get the f out of the club. #notapennymore #GlazersOut

R'hllor

What a weird bunch some are, sellout mentality.

Oh noes, some sponsor backed off and we didnt get 200mil = we gonna be further away from oil fecks, cry me a river, some couldnt see further from their nose or just care for their own angle in present, like that bunch that cried about their Sunday being wasted.

Also, this is type of protest we need to aim for and not stepping on the pitch and cancelling a game, i mean really!? we are in this sponsor situation because of those events ( not violence ).

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
They own 78% of the club. 150 years of history means absolutely nothing.

The only way we can get rid of them is by getting better as a business that enables them to exit. Reducing the cost of their asset via protests and intimidation of sponsors isn’t going to get them a buyer who can afford to buy the club from them.

All it does is destroys our chances to remain competitive. For example, forget about buying Sancho now while all other clubs around us strengthen. We are cutting the very branch we are sitting on.
Hilarious

Sting

Let’s get one thing straight this hurts Man United more than it hurts the owners. Could actually set us back years and there’s no guarantee we will catch up with pack unless an oligarch takes over or we win a lottery and find a manager like Fergie which is as about as likely as the Chinese rocket debris falling on my Ford while in reverse gear.
A little uneasy about this.

Last edited:

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It’s fair to say they having a shite few weeks! Their profit off the United arrangement alone up to this point is enough to set their family up for many generations without ever having to worry so I don’t get fans crying about them losing a bit of extra pocket money so the fans can get a voice. short term pain for long term gain. They won’t spend as much on transfers? So what. It’s all pointless if the match going fans and the community around the club aren’t happy
If anything I'm certain they will spend big this summer to try and appease fans. This is what I had mentioned in the other threads, it's imperative to keep the pressure on them, because even if they don't agree to sell in the short term, they will definitely try to quell the discontent and if that means them investing in the team, stadium and training ground, then that only benefits us. It's not the end goal, but at least it'll be something.

RORY65

If anything I'm certain they will spend big this summer to try and appease fans. This is what I had mentioned in the other threads, it's imperative to keep the pressure on them, because even if they don't agree to sell in the short term, they will definitely try to quell the discontent and if that means them investing in the team, stadium and training ground, then that only benefits us. It's not the end goal, but at least it'll be something.
I've seen a lot of people suggesting this lately but where is the funding for such investment in transfers coming from especially if they are genuine (which I doubt) about also improving the facilities in place?

Judas

Open to offers
Let’s get one thing straight this hurts Man United more than it hurts the owners. Could actually set us back years and there’s no guarantee we will catch up with pack unless an oligarch takes over or we win a lottery and find a manager like Fergie which is as about likely as the Chinese rocket debris falling on my Ford.
Set us back years? A training kit sponsorship pulling out...could set us back years? :lol: absolutely 10/10 for being overdramatic.

decorativeed

They own 78% of the club. 150 years of history means absolutely nothing.

The only way we can get rid of them is by getting better as a business that enables them to exit. Reducing the cost of their asset via protests and intimidation of sponsors isn’t going to get them a buyer who can afford to buy the club from them.

All it does is destroys our chances to remain competitive. For example, forget about buying Sancho now while all other clubs around us strengthen. We are cutting the very branch we are sitting on.
Christ, talk about priorities.

RedDevilzFox

Not sure if its really fans or the fact that our brand is slowly but gradually declining and in this climate they got cold feet. Either way, hopefully it forces a sale.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Interesting.

@Man of Leisure it probably does have a lot more to do with them being local, but once a story like this comes out, it may put others off too.

That letter looks quite funny in this context.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Mere drop in the ocean.
This won't hurt the owners at all.
No sponsor pays £200m outright, they'll get another sponsor...rinse and repeat.
If anything, people now know how much they need to pay minimum to get the sponsorship deal ....

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Maybe wait until we find out whether they get another deal before celebrating. Or see if it makes the Glazers sell.
The point is the protesting has impacted the club, which is something the Glazers didn't believe possible after the lacklustre green and gold campaign.

This victory is also only going to encourage more protesting in the future too.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Absolutely. They should take very good care of us while they have us. They’ve already made enough money off the club to last their family for generations and that’s not taking into account that they are asking for 10 times what they borrowed to sell up. They are terrible owners who have let the club slide and paid themselves more than handsomely into the bargain. They don’t want this hassle messing with their ATM. I’m sure they’ll put a lot more money back in short term. Dead right too. Fair play to the fans who protested. This is what it’s all about.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Good and bad, if true.

Good because this will make the Glazers sit up and take notice. They won't want any more disruption.

Bad because obviously there'll be short-term pain and some 'fans' on here will bemoan how we've hurt some innocent person at the club.

I also have to wonder if the naysayers on the protests will come out and say they were wrong? Will they feck.

peridigm

People demanding owners to clear debts and make some big name signings then applauding when we lose 200 million???
Won't be surprised when the first spending cuts due to losing revenue will be with incoming players and wages.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Set us back years? A training kit sponsorship pulling out...could set us back years? :lol: absolutely 10/10 for being overdramatic.
He's probably imagining 200mil would've gone straight into Sancho and Haaland transfers.

UnitedFan93

Let’s get one thing straight this hurts Man United more than it hurts the owners. Could actually set us back years and there’s no guarantee we will catch up with pack unless an oligarch takes over or we win a lottery and find a manager like Fergie which is as about likely as the Chinese rocket debris falling on my Ford.
Having the Glazers as owners for another 16yrs will set us back decades.

King7Eric

I've seen a lot of people suggesting this lately but where is the funding for such investment in transfers coming from especially if they are genuine (which I doubt) about also improving the facilities in place?
I don't think the investment in facilities will occur anytime soon, if at all. But regarding transfers, we could easily get credit lines open with the banks if we are lacking actual cash flow. I don't think there's any issue with spending money as we will increase our revenue service once the econonies start moving towards normal in the next year or so. We definitely could spend big if the Glazers are desperate enough to appease a large section of fans. If it wasn't for this recent wave of protests, I wouldn't have expected us to spend big because it is still a risk reducing your cash reserve or taking loans in the current environment. But if these protests continue, it's an arguably bigger risk for the Glazers as they will lose sponsorship money and their asset will depreciate in value.

RUCK4444

Wtf? This has more to do with those fans breaking into the stadium and the worldwide coverage that caused than anything else.

Green and Gold campaign has been going for over a decade and gained ZERO wins, then this happens within a week of the stadium protest.

RonaldoVII

Ok. I hope losing money will solve our problems, fix the roof, buy Sancho etc. If they didn’t do with extra 200m, they will certainly do without it. Or sell the club to some human right abusers who can do their laundry at Old Trafford.
Bless you thinking this was our only chance at securing a training kit deal and we'll now have nothing for 10 years.

King7Eric

People demanding owners to clear debts and make some big name signings then applauding when we lose 200 million???
You do realize it was 200 million over 10 years right? No one was coming in handing a cheque of 200 million which we were gonna use to buy Kane and Sancho.

RUCK4444

Agree. I genuinely want the Glazers gone but have said many times if the Saudi’s aren’t buying us then we are probably better off sticking with the Yankee leaches.

I genuinely fear if this gains momentum then this could be a big nail in our coffin and scupper our chances of ever challenging the oil clubs for a very long time.

This could be the worst thing that has happened to us since SAF left. We are a giant that runs purely on the commercial side of things currently, take that away and we’re left with the leaches feeding off the bones of what’s left.

He'sRaldo

I don't think there's a unified idea of what fans want. Some want them gone, others want them to reform. And what one side does may actually be counterproductive to the other side.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Mere drop in the ocean.
This won't hurt the owners at all.
No sponsor pays £200m outright, they'll get another sponsor...rinse and repeat.
If anything, people now know how much they need to pay minimum to get the sponsorship deal ....
Of course it hurts them! In the last week the biggest game in England has been called off and a 200m sponsorship deal has been cancelled all because of the fans. 3 weeks ago they thought they could just join a super league destroying European and English football without so much as even letting the fans know - the entire balance of power in this relationship has completely changed - we know that because Joel Glazer is actually going to speak after spending the last 16 years saying feck all.

Judas

Open to offers
You do realize it was 200 million over 10 years right? No one was coming in handing a cheque of 200 million which we were gonna use to buy Kane and Sancho.
Ssssh no room for sense right now, people want to meltdown instead. I am embarrassed by the ignorance and desperation to be overly dramatic about this. SadCafe strikes again.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
That's not how it works, mate. There are numerous sponsors lining up to have their logo printed on our shirts. The Glazers will just choose one of them.

At least with this news, they'll know that the protests can effect the club.

Mainoldo

Good if true!

Get some bloody football people running the club if you’re not going to F off.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
They are English brand so they must have feared backlash. Global Companies like AON ( which sponsors us right now) won't care too much about this.

Judas

Open to offers
A sponsorship deal not happening being spoken about as possibly being the worst thing to happen to the club since Fergie left :lol: I'm going to bed.