Guardian: Manchester United lose £200m training kit deal over fans’ anti-Glazers campaign

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Have you already excluded the possibility of selling a big part to the fans? Isent that the prime goal?
No I agree that part fan ownership is an option, but I'm not sure it's a workable one or that it would really give the fans any real say on the future of the club, though admittedly I'm no expert on the details of that

Roboc7

Wasn't part of that money spent on Bruno in Jan. All I am saying is the glazers can also go the Kroenke way.
Let’s not make excuses for them or try to blame fans because we’ve seen what they’re about already. With or without that £20m there’s every chance Pogba would be sold without a replacement.

Our transfer policy isn’t going to be dependent on £20m which they’ll go and seek elsewhere anyway. Their lack of ambition and incompetence was, is and will continue to be a much bigger factor.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Based on nothing at all...I'd be surprised if they'd get £2B... and the new owners would need a billion to update OT, then again so would the Glazers, surely they won't let it completely rot, then again they've not been too bothered about a leaky roof...so...
Put a poll out there and ask all United fans whether they'd accept vastly reduced transfer spending for 3 seasons for a refurbished OT and we all know how that would look. It is a problem though that does need to be solved, and I've always felt (rightly or wrongly) that selling stadium rights is the ultimate low hanging fruit in terms of easy money and the fact that they've never done that shows at least a smidgeon of caring what the fans want. I'm shocked that they've never done that.

I'm trying be as impartial as possible in this debate but I'm lying if I said I would sacrifice Uniteds position in terms of the quality of our squad. I think people underestimate how tough it will be to get back to competing if we sacrifice the team for this cause or any other, and this is coming from someone who hopes that their posting history illustrates me as a fan who doesn't need United to be the best to enjoy this team. That doesn't mean I want us to sink into obscurity though, not without a near guarantee of better days for the club and we don't have that. If that changes then so will my position on this.

DoomSlayer

Put a poll out there and ask all United fans whether they'd accept vastly reduced transfer spending for 3 seasons for a refurbished OT and we all know how that would look. It is a problem though that does need to be solved, and I've always felt (rightly or wrongly) that selling stadium rights is the ultimate low hanging fruit in terms of easy money and the fact that they've never done that shows at least a smidgeon of caring what the fans want. I'm shocked that they've never done that.

I'm trying be as impartial as possible in this debate but I'm lying if I said I would sacrifice Uniteds position in terms of the quality of our squad. I think people underestimate how tough it will be to get back to competing if we sacrifice the team for this cause or any other, and this is coming from someone who hopes that their posting history illustrates me as a fan who doesn't need United to be the best to enjoy this team. That doesn't mean I want us to sink into obscurity though, not without a near guarantee of better days for the club and we don't have that. If that changes then so will my position on this.
So absolutely nothing can be done about Old Trafford without sacrificing the next 5 years of the club's development? Even the most pressing concerns can't be repaired because it would cost billions, really?

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Guess now we know why the Glazers have actually taken some notice. It has actually hurt their bottom line with the lose of this sponsor. Shame they have pulled out, but I have no doubt someone else will take over eventually. I can still see the Glazers attempting to give lip service for a while, and waiting to see if the fans can actually sustain the momentum.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
So absolutely nothing can be done about Old Trafford without sacrificing the next 5 years of the club's development? Even the most pressing concerns can't be repaired because it would cost billions, really?
Who knows. It is of course the Glazers responsibility to solve the problem

vanrooney

They have costs us fans 1,6 billion £ so far and the depth haven't been reduced more than 250 mil. We are the only PL club that pay revenue to the owners in a regular base.

We onle need a owner that is as worse as the second worse in the league to be in a hell of a lott better place...

I guess you are afraid that a new owner is going to be someone that kills reporters and people not agreeing with them in a regular bases. So am I! But Im more willing to take a chance for the win, than stop trying because I'm afraid of losing.

Glazers has been/is a very big fundraiser to trump! Only that is enough for me to take a stand.
maybe your right -the trump argument is a killer

Zen86

Funny thing is that’s actually more likely if the Glazers stay, that’s their aim, increase the value and sell to highest bidder. If fans have accepted owners loading debt on the club then whats to deter someone else doing the same as well.
We don’t know what their aim is at all. The value has already massively increased, the Glazers have had ample chances to sell up and make a huge profit. The likelihood is they’re here to stay for the foreseeable.

And fans don’t get a say in debt being loaded onto the club. Another buyer can quite easily do the same if they want, except this time it’s with a 3 or 4bn valuation. Just let that settle for a moment.

Zen86

Finally, someone that understands how big business works.

There's not a billionaire in the world that made a billion dollars by giving it away to a football club and expecting absolutely nothing back in return. People need to wake the feck up.
People are deluded unfortunately. Blinded by hatred or bitterness. Sadly the Glazers aren’t a special case, they’re rich billionaires doing exactly what rich billionaires do.

Roboc7

We don’t know what their aim is at all. The value has already massively increased, the Glazers have had ample chances to sell up and make a huge profit. The likelihood is they’re here to stay for the foreseeable.

And fans don’t get a say in debt being loaded onto the club. Another buyer can quite easily do the same if they want, except this time it’s with a 3 or 4bn valuation. Just let that settle for a moment.
Yeah and again the funny thing is by sitting back and being so worried about what might happen you increase chances of the next owner doing just that. If someone sees Glazers get away with it then why not. It’s actually less likely if fans hold Glazers to account.

If fans have had a detrimental impact on Glazers why is someone going to pay £3-4bn, saddle club with debt and pick up where they left off. What banks are going to lend them money knowing this. Some of these be careful what you wish for arguments are nonsensical.

Last edited:

Zen86

Yea and again the funny thing is by sitting back and being so worried about what might happen you increase chances of the next owner doing just that. If someone sees Glazers get away with it then why not. It’s actually less likely if fans hold Glazers to account.

Some of these be careful what you wish for arguments are nonsensical.
Your argument is actually what’s nonsensical here. You think that forcing the Glazers to sell up as soon as possible out of desperation means we’ll end up with better owners.

And here’s an insight for you, the Glazers have already gotten away with it. They bought the club in 2005, not yesterday. This endeavour has been hugely successful for them, the precedent for this kind of takeover was set long ago.

Roboc7

Your argument is actually what’s nonsensical here. You think that forcing the Glazers to sell up as soon as possible out of desperation means we’ll end up with better owners.

And here’s an insight for you, the Glazers have already gotten away with it. They bought the club in 2005, not yesterday. This endeavour has been hugely successful for them, the precedent for this kind of takeover was set long ago.
Keep the toys in the pram no point making up what you’d like me to have said when I didn’t say that.

I’m just pointing out that complying with the Glazers increases chances of someone picking up where they left off, it’s not a deterrent to oppose them. If the Glazers can’t get away with it I don’t think people will be queuing up to hand over billions to take over from them. And good luck finding banks that will lend billions at favourable interest rates.

It’s nonsensical scaremongering.

Heardy

I’m not entirely convinced this is to be celebrated. It’s good to think this will hit the Glazers where it hurts, but we suffer as a result whilst I don’t think it will make any difference to the Glazers having a change of heart.

Zen86

Keep the toys in the pram no point making up what you’d like me to have said when I didn’t say that.

I’m just pointing out that complying with the Glazers increases chances of someone picking up where they left off, it’s not a deterrent to oppose them. If the Glazers can’t get away with it I don’t think people will be queuing up to hand over billions to take over from them. And good luck finding banks that will lend billions at favourable interest rates.

It’s nonsensical scaremongering.
Nonsensical scaremongering? You’ve been reading the Brexit playbook.

All in all, the notion that someone is going to spend billions of his own money on us while expecting no return whatsoever is the argument of a naive idiot. If that’s your thing then more power to you.

Lappen

maybe your right -the trump argument is a killer
Maybe not the most importent thing in my validation of whom I like as a owner... but the information also gives people an idea of whom the owner are. And politics is importent in all of our lives, like it or not.

What is iportent to you in a wishlist on what kind of owner we have?

Roboc7

Nonsensical scaremongering? You’ve been reading the Brexit playbook.

All in all, the notion that someone is going to spend billions of his own money on us while expecting no return whatsoever is the argument of a naive idiot. If that’s your thing then more power to you.
I notice your just shouting no sense and continuing to spout nonsense you made up.

What happened to your initial point? Has penny dropped it’s a load of rubbish?.

Makes loads of sense that in a scenario where Glazers are chased out of the club someone else will think it’s great idea to do exactly same thing and have fans turn on them. Oh and the banks will all think nothing could possibly go wrong lending £3-4bn after seeing previous owners having to throw towel in with £500m worth of debt.

Zen86

I notice your just shouting no sense and continuing to spout nonsense you made up.

What happened to your initial point? Has penny dropped it’s a load of rubbish?.

Makes loads of sense that in a scenario where Glazers are chased out of the club someone else will think it’s great idea to do exactly same thing and have fans turn on them. Oh and the banks will all think nothing could possibly go wrong lending £3-4bn after seeing previous owners having to throw towel in with £500m worth of debt.
Nobody is shouting, that’s quite obvious. But do carry on trying to distract from the conversation at hand.

As for my original point, I’ve helped you by quoting it below, since you seem to be struggling a bit.

The likelihood is that new owners would be worse. Bigger valuation, bigger purchase, bigger dividends.

Gopher Brown

Insurance?

It might not matter much for Brits, but for us it's kinda a big deal. The only time I went to UK guess which phone company I bought a prepaid from? Vodafone.

So. Ads works, those smart guys aren't paying us millions for nothing
I know, I’m just amazed that it’s worth over £200m to a company just to put their logo on our training kits

Roboc7

Nobody is shouting, that’s quite obvious. But do carry on trying to distract from the conversation at hand.

As for my original point, I’ve helped you by quoting it below, since you seem to be struggling a bit.
Nice try at least have guts to stand by what you said but give you credit for having sense to give up on your own nonsense.

Zen86

Nice try at least have guts to stand by what you said but give you credit for having sense to give up on your own nonsense.
:lol: Not sure what you’re smoking, but I’m out. You can invent your own conversations with someone else.

Tarrou

I doubt anyone is buying United for the dividends any time soon

the ROI on a multi-billion purchase would be crap

Roboc7

:lol: Not sure what you’re smoking, but I’m out. You can invent your own conversations with someone else.
Bless you, you’ve tried everything, even the moral high ground at the end but you gave up on your own point and that was the end really.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
This is the only thing which would make the Glazers sell.
We need to hit them in the pocket. All these people care about is the money MUFC gives them and the more this kind of thing happens, the better.

hobbers

Sponsors:

Adidas - German
Chevy - USA
AON - Brit
Kohler - USA
Aeroflot - Russia
Apollo tyres - India
Cadbury - Brit
Canon - Japan
Casillero del Diablo - Chile
Chivas - Brit
DHL - Germany
Gulf - Germany
HCL - India
Konami - Japan
Marriot - USA
Maui Jim - USA
Melitta - Italy
MLILY - China
Remington - USA
Swissquote - Better be Swiss
Tag Heuer - Swiss
Visis Malta - Malta
Yabo - Japan

3 in UK.
It's not where they're based its where their markets are.

Adidas are too big to care but Diablo wine, DHL, Tag Heuer and visit Malta all have a big market in the UK.

Drawfull

It's not where they're based its where their markets are.

Adidas are too big to care but Diablo wine, DHL, Tag Heuer and visit Malta all have a big market in the UK.
Indeed, but the company allegedly withdrawing are said to be wary of local problems since they're in Manchester.

DHL don't need us to make their life shit, they've gone to pot since COVID.

crossy1686

career ending
I’m not entirely convinced this is to be celebrated. It’s good to think this will hit the Glazers where it hurts, but we suffer as a result whilst I don’t think it will make any difference to the Glazers having a change of heart.
But it won’t. They will still take their dividends and the club will be £200m worse off.

choccy77

In America,

My Hockey team Boston, in the 90's moved to a brand new arena.

The old one was called the Garden.

The new one was named Fleet Centre after the sponsors,

When the naming rights game up again, TD Bank bought the rights, but was asked to re name it Garden in honour of the original and so its now called the TD Garden.

I'm pretty sure a sponsor for the stadium could somehow incorporate "Old Trafford" into the naming rights and the club could use that money to refurbish thoroughly the stadium.

It should at least be put to us the fans, for a sensible consideration.

Heardy

But it won’t. They will still take their dividends and the club will be £200m worse off.
It will have an impact on us as an asset in their portfolio if we can’t secure the same level of commercials sponsorships. But it feels like a Pyrrhic victory as it hurts us as a club more if we can’t then invest in the team, stadium etc

andy0

Some odd decisions in marketing ...

I can't decide which is more odd - United fans discounting sponsorship from a group which contains several beauty and lifestyle brands sold mostly around the rest of the world, or this forum being full not long ago (before I logged in) with adverts for RHS Wisley or Bridgewater

(RHS = Royal Horticultural Society)

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
People thinking this is good is horrible. This will ensure we go further behind the oil and oligarch clubs.

United fans will never win a war of attrition with the Glazers. It’s totally one sided.

What’s next? People saying good we didn’t qualify for the CL as that would mean more money for the Glazers?

Ole and the team are already facing the brunt of the previous protest by having to play 4 games in 8 days but that’s just a temporary pain.

Do fans really want to create permanent pain by going behind the oil clubs in market power?
You’re 34. How are you not getting this yet?

stw2022

What makes me suspicious even further is that this isn’t a current targeted sponsor or even a sponsor we’ve been linked with. Surely if this is having an impact those who already sponsor us would at least be leaking anonymously about their concerns.

Bogga

What worries me if how much of a hit this'll have on this summers transfers. I get that hitting the Glazers like this is how we get rid of them... But at the same time if they don't sell and our "transfer chest" get's a hit I'd be worried since we need to build on this season. We need to strengthen some areas and also get squad players that we can rotate and still not worry about. Cause you've all seen what's happened when we've rotated...

If they were to sell during the summer, they wouldn't spend shit and we'd be royally f*cked. It's a slippery slope... we all wanna get rid of them, but we don't wanna see our club get worse and lose this momentum

vanrooney

Maybe not the most importent thing in my validation of whom I like as a owner... but the information also gives people an idea of whom the owner are. And politics is importent in all of our lives, like it or not.

What is iportent to you in a wishlist on what kind of owner we have?
for me the perfect owner would be a football and united fan that trusts competent people to manage the club the right way without interfering too much. and he/she shouldnt take money out of the club

clarkydaz

What makes me suspicious even further is that this isn’t a current targeted sponsor or even a sponsor we’ve been linked with. Surely if this is having an impact those who already sponsor us would at least be leaking anonymously about their concerns.
Adidas etc have already handed over the money, you assume those brands cant just demand to cancel contracts. If this is true they are being denied actual future income

Lappen

for me the perfect owner would be a football and united fan that trusts competent people to manage the club the right way without interfering too much. and he/she shouldnt take money out of the club
This