Guardian's World Cup top 100 Footballers of all time

jem

Haven't seen this posted yet (apologies if it has.) Anyway, it's an interesting list so far, but there is one ranking so absurd that I find it hard to take the whole thing seriously: Klinsmann at 96; the scorer of 11 WC goals is ranked behind the likes of Lahm, Messi, Frank De Boer and Del Piero. I mean it beggars belief. It's also bizarre that Messi ranks ahead of Iniesta, when the latter has clearly had a greater impact at the WC.

In any event, these lists always make for interesting discussion.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...s-top-100-footballers-of-all-time-interactive

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Messi in the top 50 is strange seeing as he hasn't impacted the WC a great deal. I do think his performances in Germany weren't as bad as people made out but I can't see why he's in the top 50 ahead of Iniesta. Same with C.Ronaldo in the top 40, really? What has he done apart a goal against Iran and North Korea?

I expect Pele to be first, Maradona second. Brazilian Ronaldo should be top 10.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
How is Messi even in top-100?
C. Ronaldo is on par with the likes of R. Carlos, Carlos Alberto, Neeskens and Yashin? Ahead of Meazza, Cahn, Iniesta (65?!), Sneijder (84), what the hell is wrong with them.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Messi in the top 50 is strange seeing as he hasn't impacted the WC a great deal. I do think his performances in Germany weren't as bad as people made out but I can't see why he's in the top 50 ahead of Iniesta. Same with C.Ronaldo in the top 40, really? What has he done apart a goal against Iran and North Korea?

I expect Pele to be first, Maradona second. Brazilian Ronaldo should be top 10.
Didn't realize Messi was a German in 1958 :lol:

vuc

First Team Serb
Messi ahead of Stoichkov or Hagi strictly for World Cup performances? Give me a break.
Same for Stojkovic. Stojkovic was a monster in Italia 90. Even at France 98 he took the piss..

Trying to remember one standout game that Messi has had at the WC.

anchan1989

Messi in the top 51 is bull. Sorry. He is maybe the best ever alreay but he was 19! in Germany 06 and fine and has a goodish impact in 2010. Thats not up there. And of course:
all the Germans as badly played as possibly. Paul Gascoigne on 66?! 30 places better then Klinsmann who got us the world cup as a leading player. In the name of god...
Like the other Guardian football lists; English bias and stupid placing on names.
Beckenbauer has to be top 3. But...sigh....

Good thing is that this list is soo wrong that people cant take it seriously.

Last edited:

Kallech33

My happy place. Where I kill more than time.
Some are ridiculous in my eyes:
Messi and Ronaldo much too high.
If Messi is included at all in that list he should be in the 90s not 51.
Ronaldo in the 80s or 90s for me.
Sneijder is also too high in my opinion.
Maybe I'm wrong here but Figo never impressed me that much in the WCs. Should be on the list but maybe 10 or 15 places lower.

I also think Iniesta, Klinsmann and Lahm are too low on the list.

Was a bit surprised to see Forlan missing considering the composition of their list.

Still, I'm really excited to see the rest of the list with guys like Zidane, Pele, Maradona, Beckenbauer, Müller, Ronaldo (the original one), Cruyff, Bobby Charlton etc...

bishblaize

Yeah, Messi shouldn't be in there.

Glad to see Roger Milla up there where he should be. Dude.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
What a load of complete and utter nonsense. Stopped reading when I saw Jay Jay Okocha immediately ahead of Didí.

"Experts" :lol:

Moby

Dick
Messi in the top 51 is bull. Sorry. He is maybe the best ever alreay but he was 19! in Germany 06 and fine and has a goodish impact in 2010. Thats not up there. And of course:
all the Germans as badly played as possibly. Paul Gascoigne on 66?! 30 places better then Klinsmann who got us the world cup as a leading player. In the name of god...
Like the other Guardian football lists; English bias and stupid placing on names.

Good thing is that this list is soo wrong that people cant take it seriously.
To each his own but my top 3 are pretty straight forward. Pele, Maradona and Garrincha.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Poor Klinsmann, he really deserves better. Brehme on 53 is also a bit of a joke, doubt there has been a fullback with a bigger impact in his team's worldcup win than he had in 1990. Not only was he brilliant throughout several tournaments, he also scored 3 crucial goals in the knockout rounds in '90 alone, that's as many as Messi and Cristiano together in all their worldcup games, yet he's behind both of them :lol:.

There's no way, Beckenbauer should be top 3. If Maradona, Pele and Garrincha aren't the top3, all those experts should be shot (well they should be anyway for that list).

Revan

Assumptionman
One of the worst lists I have ever seen, in like anything. Messi in 51th position and Ronaldo at 33th position is completely ridiculous, neither of them (especially not Mess) should be on Top 100.

My top 5 guess would be Pele, Maradona, Garrincha, Cruyff and Beckenbauer/Zidane, (in no order). For longivity, it has to be Pele. For performances in a single tournament there should be Maradona and Garrincha (followed by Cruyff).

Klinsmann is ridiculously low.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The Guardian has some idiots kicking about its sports journalism department these days. A panel from the Caf would improve immeasurably on that list.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
One of the worst lists I have ever seen, in like anything. Messi in 51th position and Ronaldo at 33th position is completely ridiculous, neither of them (especially not Mess) should be on Top 100.

My top 5 guess would be Pele, Maradona, Garrincha, Cruyff and Beckenbauer/Zidane, (in no order). For longivity, it has to be Pele. For performances in a single tournament there should be Maradona and Garrincha (followed by Cruyff).

Pele's individual performance in '70 was truely special as well, a different kind of special than Maradona and Garrincha, but still easily top3 of all time, more about connecting greats than lifting decent players around him, but no one in the history of the game could have played that role on that level. He's the reason why that Brazil team is considered the greatest nationalteam of all time, he made it work. Pele '70 > Cruyff '74 and it would be the same for me, if Holland had won the final against Germany.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It's the worst list in the chequered history of football lists. Ronaldinho ahead of Rivaldo - based on their 2002 performances?! Never mind that Ronaldinho didn't turn up in 2006 while Rivaldo was one of the stars of 1998. And Ronaldinho ahead of Baggio?! And poor Lato down in 67th. Ronaldo and Messi shouldn't be near the list.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Iniesta's place is probably the most scandalous. He has been immense for Spain while they've been arguably the best international team ever.

anchan1989

There's no way, Beckenbauer should be top 3. If Maradona, Pele and Garrincha aren't the top3, all those experts should be shot (well they should be anyway for that list).
Sorry, but "no way"? Beckenbauer played in 3 world cups, reached 3 semis and 2 finals. You could argue with some substance that he was the best player in 66 before that final, that was lost unfairly. ;)
People often forget the huge goals he scored, specially that year but also in 1970.
He was always the drving force and a great leader. Im bias and I didnt watch all the games but for me he,Pele and Maradona are the 3 with the most impact.
Certainly its not that clear that he isnt in the top 3.
Adding to that: Garrincha played 2 full world cups. One in the 50s, the other in 62.
The level of competition and depth cleary got up a level, perhaps in 66 but for sure in 1970.

5(?, and thats no Lothar joke, who really know his footy) knowing people cant stop 15+ Guardian ones.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Does it stop at 21 for anyone else?

EDIT: nvm not been finished by guardian

Treble

It's a really bad list but it is to be expected for its purpose is to generate controversy. Ronaldo and Messi shouldn't be in top 100.

Kazi

Why is everyone complaining about Messi when Ronaldo is much higher than him?

Agree that Iniesta should be higher. Is Xavi not on the list at all?

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Sorry, but "no way"? Beckenbauer played in 3 world cups, reached 3 semis and 2 finals. You could argue with some substance that he was the best player in 66 before that final, that was lost unfairly. ;)
People often forget the huge goals he scored, specially that year but also in 1970.
He was always the drving force and a great leader. Im bias and I didnt watch all the games but for me he,Pele and Maradona are the 3 with the most impact.
Certainly its not that clear that he isnt in the top 3.
Adding to that: Garrincha played 2 full world cups. One in the 50s, the other in 62.
The level of competition and depth cleary got up a level, perhaps in 66 but for sure in 1970.
'No way' was maybe a bit harsh, but it was mainly directed at your comment that 'he has to be top3'. I love Beckenbauer, I wrote essays about him and his 'superhuman' abilities on the Caf, I know about 'die Nacht von Malente' and how he united the German team and lead them to the worldcup win in '74. Still, despite countless excellent performances and great leadership in '74, I don't think you can say that he ever had a comparable impact than Garrincha had in '62. And if only half of what I read about Meazza is true, then I rate him higher than Beckenbauer in the context of impact on worldcups as well. I don't think it's fair to dismiss achievements in worldcup tournaments prior to '66.

(Meazza 40th is beyond crazy, he should be at least top10, if not top5).

anchan1989

'No way' was maybe a bit harsh, but it was mainly directed at your comment that 'he has to be top3'. I love Beckenbauer, I wrote essays about him and his 'superhuman' abilities on the Caf, I know about 'die Nacht von Malente' and how he united the German team and lead them to the worldcup win in '74. Still, despite countless excellent performances and great leadership in '74, I don't think you can say that he ever had a comparable impact than Garrincha had in '62. And if only half of what I read about Meazza is true, then I rate him higher than Beckenbauer in the context of impact on worldcups as well. I don't think it's fair to dismiss achievements in worldcup tournaments prior to '66.

(Meazza 40th is beyond crazy, he should be at least top10, if not top5).
Fair points and I surely dont dismiss anything prior to 66 but the level was worse and Franz had 3 great world cups. That alone sends him up there.
But again: we have our views and thats the beauty of this game. You can argue all night with passion.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
The top 2 will be Pele and Maradona in my opinion, although I'm not sure which will be 1 and which will be 2.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
True and maybe he is in that top 20, but Iniesta's involvement with Spain has been match-deciding. He essentially won them the world cup 2010 with his finals goal.
He did, but was he consistently excellent in the tournament? I recall they bored their way to the final with many 1-0 wins.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Even Eboue left bigger trace in WC than Messi and Ronaldo:

Moriarty

I'd put Charlton in there ahead of Cruyff and Eusebio ahead of Zidane. But that's just personal.

Where do you place players like Lineker, Moore, Hurst, Ball, and Banks? Be interesting to see where they end up on the list.