Guardian's World Cup top 100 Footballers of all time

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
In 1966, there wasn't much to choose between the two. Beckenbauer was only 21 then but he was already head and shoulders above many of the greats. Looking back, that West German side played some lovely football. They had the likes of Seeler, who was an exemplary captain, Haller, who was scoring goals in a very tough Italian league, Schnellinger, one of the top defenders in Italy and a veteran of two World Cups at the age of 26, Overath, a superb player in the middle of the park, and Held, a very tricky forward. Despite having a wealth of talent at his disposal, Helmut Schon instructed Beckenbauer to mark Charlton out of the game. Ramsey, in the other dressing room, told Charlton to mark Beckenbauer so they effectively cancelled one another out. I don't see how anyone can argue that the "level was lower in '66 and '70" (I know it wasn't you) with those players on display, not to mention the greats from all the other nations that took part.
Yeah I know. They basically nullified each other in '66, but it hurt Germany more than England in my opinion :(. We played better football in '66 and in '70 than in '74 when we were mostly horrible to watch but finally won it again. From what I've seen of the worldcup in '66 it was an excellent tournament. Argentina had a quality team with a brilliant defense, Hungary had an excellent team around Florian Albert, Portugal with Eusebio and Coluna.

Moriarty

Yeah I know. They basically nullified each other in '66, but it hurt Germany more than England in my opinion :(. We played better football in '66 and in '70 than in '74 when we were mostly horrible to watch but finally won it again. From what I've seen of the worldcup in '66 it was an excellent tournament. Argentina had a quality team with a brilliant defense, Hungary had an excellent team around Florian Albert, Portugal with Eusebio and Coluna.
And the North Koreans who surprised everyone. The Soviets had a good side as well, getting to the semi-final. The Italians were disappointing as were the French who promised much but failed to shine. The only memory of Argentina I have is the quarter-final at Wembley when Rattin was sent off. It was a pretty dour game as I recall won by a Geoff Hurst header.

The 1974 West German side wasn't that bad. Maybe a little short on flair when compared to the Dutch, but they made up for that with some wonderful team performances. Then, of course, you had Gerd Muller who could make a goal out of nothing, and the prototype of the modern wing back in Breitner.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
The 1974 West German side wasn't that bad. Maybe a little short on flair when compared to the Dutch, but they made up for that with some wonderful team performances. Then, of course, you had Gerd Muller who could make a goal out of nothing, and the prototype of the modern wing back in Breitner.
We got our act together in time for the 2nd group round, but still got lucky in the final game against Poland that heavy rain made the pitch pretty much unplayable. Poland was the better team throughout the tournament, not sure if we had won the game under fair conditions. The final then has its own story. In comparison to what we played in the years before, especially at the Euro in '72, we were a boring team that fought their way to the title. Nothing wrong with that of course ;).

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Legend #5 is definitely Zico. He had:

1. Pele
2. Maradona
3. Garrincha
4. Ronaldo
5. Zidane
6. Jairzinho
7. Rivelino
8. Cruyff
9. Beckenbauer
10. Tostao

Mystry

Friendship is magic
It's the legends (idiots) votes that skews the list. Two of the legends had Messi 3rd and 4th in their lists. Two of them also had Cristiano Ronaldo 4th and 5th. Not one of them had Didi in their top 40. Clearly they didn't understand the purpose of the list. Makes it all a bit meaningless.
Exactly. Add on top adjusting the points so the weighting is equal across the three areas just makes it all the more worse. Basically a 'legends' vote is worth 3.6 times more than a Guardian journalist.

Moriarty

We got our act together in time for the 2nd group round, but still got lucky in the final game against Poland that heavy rain made the pitch pretty much unplayable. Poland was the better team throughout the tournament, not sure if we had won the game under fair conditions. The final then has its own story. In comparison to what we played in the years before, especially at the Euro in '72, we were a boring team that fought their way to the title. Nothing wrong with that of course ;).
Poland were a decent team in 1974, much to the chagrin of the English press. England were outplayed in Poland losing 0-2 with Alan Ball sent off. Bobby Moore had a nightmare and made a daft mistake leading to Lubanski's goal. It was the end of the great man's England career and he was replaced by Norman Hunter for the return at Wembley. Of course it was Hunter's cock-up that led to the opening goal for Poland and England's failure to qualify. Mind you, we really should have beaten Wales at Wembley (there were only three teams in the qualifying group). But Wales, perennial cannon fodder, managed to beat the Poles 2-0 in Cardiff.

They tolled the passing bell for English football the next day and it was grim. Ramsey, the hero of 1966, was unceremoniously sacked and Moore's international career was over. The next time we played in the finals was 1982 in Spain. International glory is a pipe dream for most English supporters. Apart from a brief taste of glory in 1990, we just do not seem able to muster a side that can compete with the likes of Germany, Italy, Brazil, and just about anyone else you care to mention. We look enviously at Spain who, after decades in the wilderness, put together a side that may well lift the World Cup again this year. It used to be said that individually, the Spaniards had talent in spades and people wondered why they couldn't do it on the world stage. Once they figured that out, they won the lot. But English football lurches from one fiasco to the next. Can you honestly see any of the current crop of English players making it into a world XI? Neither can I and until the FA is radically overhauled and starts structuring the game better at the youth level instead of looking for ways to cash in, we're screwed. I doubt the German public would stand for the monkey business that our FA gets up to from their governing body, but we just bend over and take it.

Sorry for the long post but it's a bit of a sore point.

Anti-DNA

The term "best striker in WC history" was used for the number of goals by me.
And btw; Klose is close in term of big game goals against big teams. The first rounds are tough too. Ask England. ;)
"Not close to Ronaldo" if Klose reaches 16 is a bit much imo.
Klose is close? No. Ronaldo is by a large margin the greater striker in World Cup competition.

Ronaldo has played 19 World Cup matches — he has 15 goals and 5 assists. Klose has played 19 World Cup matches — he has 14 goals and 4 assists. Ronaldo has played 10 World Cup knockout matches — he has 8 goals and 2 assists. Klose has played 11 World Cup knockout matches — he has 4 goals and 2 assists. Not even close. Ronaldo was the best player of 2 World Cups, Klose was never the best player of a World Cup.

Klose can reach 16 goals if he wants, 17 or even 18. He does not come close to Ronaldo. Why? Because he has no idea how to play in big matches. There is a reason why the record of Klose drops severely from the group stage [10 goals, 2 assists] to the knockout stage [4 goals, 2 assists]. Compare that to Ronaldo, who shares his goals equally in the group stage [7 goals, 3 assists] and the knockout stage [8 goals, 2 assists]. Klose is nothing more than a flat-track bully.

Maybe when the Germans win a semifinal, you can bring that up.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Klose, Klinsmann, Voller. These guys should wear Germany NT shirt when playing for their clubs.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Ever heard of a certain Gerd Müller, who only needed 2 WC to score 14? That was when WC end rounds consisted of 16 teams and games were fewer.
He wrote 'greater', not greatest. And I don't think his comment is wrong in comparison to Klose. I don't really understand the whole "Klose = world cup legend" discussion. He wouldn't make my top 3 of the greatest German worldcup strikers (Müller, Klinsmann and Seeler were clearly better and had a bigger impact on the team), let alone be anywhere near the greatest in general. He probably deserved a place in this top 100 for his overall contribution, but I can't really blame any of the voters for not including him in their top40 of the top worldcup players ever, he wouldn't make mine either.

anchan1989

Well, you could say that Charlton outperformed Beckenbauer both times on the pitch when they met and in your opinion Beckenbauer is definitely top3. Don't you think that contradicts your point that the level was lower in '66 and '70 ?
Never argued that some players werent as good before 66 or 70 then latter ones. But the overall quality is just better.
More players, better educated, better infrastructure(the Bundesliga came in 63!) and so on.
No one can argue, that the depth and overall quality is better today then in 66.
The same thing with 58/62 and 66/70.
The game became much more professional.
To the Beckenbauer/Charlton point:
Charlton was 8! years older then Franz both times they met. He had to be better, specially in 66, when Franz was 21!
But in most reviews of that final you read that they neutralized each other. So Franz had the better game cause he handled the better player(because of age/experience).
Franz had a very good game in 1970, scored a vital goal and so on. Never watched the full thing. Charlton could have had a better game but again; he was 32, Franz 24. 32 was old in that time but in one game your experience can and should give you the upper hand. So no, sorry.
Franz is a top 3 world cup player for me. The list agrees here. Sir Charlton is a world cup great but Franz is another level.

No joke. Charlton's passing, shooting, and vision was better than Zidane's. I know it's hard to compare players from different eras but anyone who saw Bobby in his pomp for club and country would likely agree that he should be in the top 5.
Everyone his own opinion. But I never heard that before. And the list(with many votes/the legends didnt got the point, but that the Guardians fault;) ) isnt there either.
But again: You have your point I have mine. Thats fair.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Top 20 is ok enough, maybe Xavi is placed too high. Problems start at 23. Ronaldinho at 23? FFS C. Ronaldo at 33 and Klinsmann at 96?
Although there are a few high-performing strikers far down the list such as Kocsis and Leonidas, Klinsmann does also look too low considering how good he was in 1990 - that lonely furrow he ploughed against Holland :drool: - and seemed to be one of the only Germans who looked the part in 1994.

Last edited:

Kristjan

Retired Dictator
Stupid list in many ways.

In regards to the world cup then Ronaldo or Messi shouldn't even be above Tomas Brolin.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
I can't help but think Miroslav Klose should be in the 50-100 range at least. Doesn't he nearly hold a record for most world cup goals?

Moriarty

Everyone his own opinion. But I never heard that before. And the list(with many votes/the legends didnt got the point, but that the Guardians fault;) ) isnt there either.
But again: You have your point I have mine. Thats fair.
I don't know how old you are but I'm guessing that you never saw Bobby Charlton play. I found a short compilation of some of his 49 goals for England. It's a very inferior substitute for watching the great man in the flesh but it gives you an idea of what he could do. I'm not going to try and sway you from your opinion but for my money, and for many of my generation, Charlton was one of the greatest players ever to play for United and England. A true giant of the world game.

Hannibal

I will never understand why Garrincha is criminally underrated by football fans. He's miles ahead of Pele......this guy won a World Cup single-handedly like Maradona did in 86.

I won't even have Pele in my top 3.

Moriarty

I will never understand why Garrincha is criminally underrated by football fans. He's miles ahead of Pele......this guy won a World Cup single-handedly like Maradona did in 86.

Garrincha destroyed England in the QF in 1962. I don't think that WC was televised around the world and only some short footage of the game remains, but the only time I saw him was at the fag-end of his career when Brazil played Hungary at Goodison Park in 1966. Brazil lost 1-3. I hoped he'd play against Portugal in the next game but, as I remember, he was injured for that match, which Brazil also lost. Maybe someone a bit longer in the tooth than me can shed a bit more light on his career but I don't feel qualified to do so having seen him play but once.

bishblaize

I don't know how old you are but I'm guessing that you never saw Bobby Charlton play. I found a short compilation of some of his 49 goals for England. It's a very inferior substitute for watching the great man in the flesh but it gives you an idea of what he could do. I'm not going to try and sway you from your opinion but for my money, and for many of my generation, Charlton was one of the greatest players ever to play for United and England. A true giant of the world game.

One thing to remember when you see his goals is that the ball weighed an effing tonne back in those days.

Anti-DNA

Ever heard of a certain Gerd Müller, who only needed 2 WC toi score 14? That was when WC end rounds consisted of 16 teams and games were fewer.
Fontaine scored 13 in 1958, no problem. The difference here is the goal-scoring of both eras.

Ronaldo scored his 15 goals in a period [1998, 2002, 2006] where on average 2.49 goals were scored in every World Cup match.
Müller scored his 14 goals in a period [1970, 1974] where on average 2.74 goals were scored in every World Cup match.

Ronaldo scored 8 of his 15 goals [53%] in the final phases.
Müller scored 6 of his 14 goals [42%] in the final phases.

Ronaldo was the best player of two World Cups.
Müller was never the best player of the World Cup.

Ronaldo is by a large margin the greater striker than Klose, although Müller is closer to Ronaldo — but the Brasilian is still the best.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
He wrote 'greater', not greatest.
True, misread that. Apologies! :) Agree about the rating of Klose, but on the other hand, Klose is very underrated. A brilliant footballer with an amazing record, but too modest and unselfish for his own good.

Fontaine scored 13 in 1958, no problem. The difference here is the goal-scoring of both eras.

Ronaldo scored his 15 goals in a period [1998, 2002, 2006] where on average 2.49 goals were scored in every World Cup match.
Müller scored his 14 goals in a period [1970, 1974] where on average 2.74 goals were scored in every World Cup match.

Ronaldo is by a large margin the greater striker than Klose, although Müller is closer to Ronaldo — but the Brasilian is still the best.
That could be disputed. Müller played in an era when a top striker usually had two bloodhounds on his heels for 90 minutes who would have followed him to the bathroom if he decided to take a piss in min 60 :D And fat Ronaldo played in an era when Nike's billion-$ marketing machine would hammer it into everyones head that one was witnessing the greatest player of all time. But even taking that into account, the gap between Müller and Ronaldo is narrower than between any other striker and one of the two.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Could you please stop calling him 'fat'. I mean, call him Brazilian Ronaldo, or original Ronaldo or R9 or Ronaldo Luiz or Ronaldo de Lima. So many options, there's really no need to insult one of the greatest footballers of all time consistently :(.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Ronaldo should always be Ronaldo. It's the other one that should be Portuguese Ronaldo, Greasy Ronaldo, or Not as good as Messi Ronaldo.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
People are mixing Iniesta's 2012 Euros' performance with WC 2010. Xavi was much better than Ineista in 2010. Infact if not for that final goal, I am not sure Iniesta would have been counted among the best players of the tournament. As it is, he could not even manage a top 3 finish in golden ball voting. Spanish team has better in both the Euros than they were at the WC as well

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Well I don't agree. I think there certainly is an argument to be made for or against them, but they've done extremely well, and could win another world cup this month.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that definitely isn't going to happen. :)

Moby

Dick

IMHO, Rivaldo had a better WC than Ronaldo in 02.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
It's also a bit harsh on Müller if you use that he never was the best player of a world cup. He was up against Pele in '70 and Cruyff, Beckenbauer in '74. He scored 10 goals in '70 and twice in extratime in a semifinal. In any 'normal' worldcup that would mean you get to play in the final and win the Golden Ball. Müller's competition was significantly stronger than Ronaldo's.

Moriarty

True, misread that. Apologies! :) Agree about the rating of Klose, but on the other hand, Klose is very underrated. A brilliant footballer with an amazing record, but too modest and unselfish for his own good.

That could be disputed. Müller played in an era when a top striker usually had two bloodhounds on his heels for 90 minutes who would have followed him to the bathroom if he decided to take a piss in min 60 :D And fat Ronaldo played in an era when Nike's billion-$ marketing machine would hammer it into everyones head that one was witnessing the greatest player of all time. But even taking that into account, the gap between Müller and Ronaldo is narrower than between any other striker and one of the two.
You could have attached a ball and chain to Gerd Muller's ankle and he'd still find a way of scoring past you.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It's also debateable whether Ronaldo was the standout of 1998, or maybe just one of three or four who were the stars of the tournament.

Kallech33

My happy place. Where I kill more than time.
It's also debateable whether Ronaldo was the standout of 1998, or maybe just one of three or four who were the stars of the tournament.
I think it depends on how you rate performances. If you I'd put a lot of emphasis on the performances of the players in the final I'd go with Zidane (1998) and Ronaldo (2002) as the standout players.
On the other hand if I'd rate the players performances more equally over the course of a tournament I'd rather go with Ronaldo in 1998 and Rivaldo in 2002.
Rivaldo's reputation and performance in 2002 was also bit dimished by this:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think it depends on how you rate performances. If you I'd put a lot of emphasis on the performances of the players in the final I'd go with Zidane (1998) and Ronaldo (2002) as the standout players.
On the other hand if I'd rate the players performances more equally over the course of a tournament I'd rather go with Ronaldo in 1998 and Rivaldo in 2002.
Rivaldo's reputation and performance in 2002 was also bit dimished by this:
Even emphasising the performance of players in the final, I don't think Zidane was sparkling enough throughout '98 to deserve that kind of title (I wouldn't even have him in a team of the tournament, despite his final show). The stamp against Saudi Arabia didn't really help matters. Euro 2000 was his great tournament.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

This must be a joke. Garrincha was the standout player of the tournament in a way Pelé wasn't in either '58 or '70 but Garrincha's supporting cast was miles above Maradona's. The two best fullbacks in the world, arguably the best midfielder in Brazil's history, Brazil's best keeper of all time, perhaps Brazil's best centre back in the last 50 years ably supported by two extremely capable players in Zagallo and Vava. Argentina's next best player was probably a level below Zagallo.

It's entirely possible that without Pelé Brazil would have went out of the World Cup against a very strong France side in the semis and before that who knows who would have stepped up in the quarter final against Wales? And it can't be underestimated how important and influential that win in '58 was - redemption following the failure in 1950 and the beginning of unparalleled success with 3 wins in 4 years, with Pelé the crown jewel in both the first and the last. In 1970 Pelé was the player that knitted things together in a team containing two other #10's and a playmaker and he was consistently the best player on the pitch (save for the final when Gérson outshone him but Pelé got the crucial opening goal). Despite all the talk about the strength of Brazil, it's hard to imagine anyone replacing him in that team and leading them to success. He was the focus of every attack but did it without attempting to monopolise the attack unlike practically any other #10.

It's entirely possible that of the 14 games he played he was the best player on the pitch in half of them and one of the three best in every one other than when he was kicked off the pitch. Garrincha had one outstanding tournament and was influential in '58 but he didn't have the same lasting impact across so many games. Pelé's productivity - 12 goals and 10 assists in 14 games - combined with his superior influence in the build-up clearly puts him ahead of Garrincha and anyone else really.