g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Guess the line up opening day...

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Cavani
Sancho Fernandes Greenwood
Fred McTominay
Dalot Maguire Varane AWB
DeGea​

I’m guessing neither Shaw nor Telles will be fit in time for the opener.

Theonas

Scout
That's the main two points, they needed adequate rest then time together to play. We'll likely have a slow start I predict, due to these issues. Hopefully not!
I agree. The fitness levels of the top clubs will inevitably be behind the others. It will be a case of who can handle this lag better, luckily we have the best start on paper at least!

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
No matter the line up, I hope fans will give United time to gel again after considerable time away. This opening game won't be easy for us and Leeds. I expect a scrappy match.

I don't think Sancho will start the first game but might come on as a sub.

Hoping we get a CM before deadline day.

JustinC00

--‐---------Cavani
Sancho------------Greenwood
--------------Bruno
---------Rice------VDB

Shaw-Maguire-Varane-Trippier
---‐------------De Gea

Subs: Henderson, Martial, Fred, McTominay, Lindelof, AWB, Telles, Amad, Matic, Mata, Bailly, James

1st lineup in the CL

wolvored

Henderson
AWB-Varane-Maguire-Shaw
McTominay-Fred
Greenwood-Fernandes-Sancho
Cavani
This is probably as close as it will get to being right if we dont get anyone else in. If Pogba hasnt signed I would keep him on the bench.

lost7

Let's hope Bruno/AWB and Greenwood are not the players who tested positive

Bondi77

Leeds would be the hardest opponent to pick a Utd starting eleven against as we need to be super fit to match their work rate but there are players that will obviously play but I think McFred and James will start and Sancho will come off the bench to get a raucous welcome from the home crowd.

Blood Mage

Henderson
AWB - Varane - Maguire - Trippier
McTominay - Fred
Sancho - Bruno - James
Cavani
I'm taking a gamble here and assuming that we sign Trippier and that Shaw won't be fit for the first game. I think James gets a start (unfortunately) as we'll look to hit Leeds on the counter often.

JB7

Heaton played 180 mins already, why would ole pick Henderson over Heaton? and there are two games left in the pre-season. Doesn't make any sense to me.
Because he's the first choice goalkeeper and Heaton is the third. Pretty simple.

meamth

---------------------De Gea---------------------------
AWB----Lindelof---Maguire-----Williams
------------Fred-----------McTominay----------
Greenwood-----Bruno----------Sancho----
----------------------Cavani--------------------------

Williams or Dalot on LB considering Shaw needs some time for fitness.

Lindelof because Varane will need time to adjust with his mates. (Language barrier and all, Varane doesn't speak fluent english, yet. So he needs time to communicate and organize the defence with Maguire)

Sancho will go straight right in because of his personal training and less playing time in the Euro.

Fred and McT is the most stable midfielder combo.

Pogba on the bench because of his contract situation.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
DDG
AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
McTominay
Sancho Pogba Bruno Martial
Cavani

SUB
MARTIAL -> AMAD (SWITCH WITH SANCHO)
CAVANI--> GREENWOOD
MCTOM --> FRED​

Dazzmondo

Not doubting your opinion but for me, a CM of Fred & Matic midfield would be depressing.
Matic will be fitter than the others due to his involvement in pre-season. I would be surprised if Fred isn't a regular starter

BlackBen

De Gea
Shaw
Maguire
Varane
Wan-Bissaka
Fred
Pogba
Bruno
Sancho
Cavani
Greenwood

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
DeGea
AWB
Maguire
Lindelof
Shaw/Dalot (depending on shaws spare ribs)
Fred
Lingard
Bruno
Sancho
Cavani
Greenwood

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Because he's the first choice goalkeeper and Heaton is the third. Pretty simple.
He's not played a second of pre-season football despite having the summer off. There's clearly something going on with him

JB7

He's not played a second of pre-season football despite having the summer off. There's clearly something going on with him
He had the summer off because of injury. If he wasn’t going to be first choice no way would we have rejected the approach from Wolves, I’m not overly concerned as yet he’s probably just struggling still.

charlenefan

He had the summer off because of injury. If he wasn’t going to be first choice no way would we have rejected the approach from Wolves, I’m not overly concerned as yet he’s probably just struggling still.
So in the terms of the Leeds game he's unlikely to start then yeah?

MUFC OK

Henderson, Lindelof, McFred all start. Pogba, Sancho, Varane, Rashford all on the bench.

charlenefan

You are aware that the Leeds game is over two weeks away? He’s got plenty of time still.
There's one pre-season game left. If he doesn't play in that he shouldn't play against Leeds

JB7

There's one pre-season game left. If he doesn't play in that he shouldn't play against Leeds
Based on what? He’s a goalkeeper, fitness works completely different to the rest of the team.

Say Varane has to isolate & can’t play against Everton are we benching him against Leeds? If Bruno picks up a knock next Friday but is fit 3 days later, are we leaving him out too?

Far too much is put on pre season games, by all accounts they’re played at a lower intensity than we train half the time.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
De Gea
AWB
Varane
Maguire
Shaw (if fit, Williams if not)

Pogba
Bruno
VDB

Sancho
Cavani
Martial (if fit, Dan James if not :drool:)
Was waiting for a 4-3-3

Be interesting to see if Ole implements it straight away or eases into a 4-3-3 set up.

If that article was truthful mind....

Chief123

I was thinking about this. I am concerned what kind of team we will put out and how fit they will be.

We had a shocking start against Crystal Palace last season due to a non existent pre-season. We looked so unfit and got run ragged.

I’m concerned that we are playing the fittest team in the league in the first game. I’m sure they’ve been training for a few weeks together now considering they didn’t have many away at the Euros.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
A little bit depends on how quickly players who played late into the Euro's get up to fitness, but at a guess:

De Gea
AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
McTominay Fred
Sancho Bruno Pogba
Cavani​

MrSingh2002

Considering that Ole has said he doesn't know the fitness levels of half the players...

Eboue
Eboue Eboue Eboue Eboue
Eboue Eboue
Eboue Eboue Eboue
Eboue

DSG

DDG
AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
Camavinga McTominay
Greenwood Bruno Sancho
Cavani

McT had 2 goals in 5 min against them. Pogba to be sold, so won’t start. It’s not likely, but I’d like to see it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If Varane comes next week and isolates further, he's not going to make the Leeds game is he?

DDG

AWB
Lindelof
Maguire
Shaw

McT
Bruno
Pogba

Greenwood
Cavani
Sancho

Jacob