Guess What - Pompeys new boy snubbed Utd

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Portsmouth's new academy star James Hurst has claimed that he turned down Manchester United and Arsenal in order to join Harry Redknapp’s side.
It was revealed in May that the England Under-17 international would be swapping West Brom for Fratton Park but it has now emerged that Pompey faced stiff competition for his signature.
As well as United and Arsenal, Aston Villa were also interested in the full back who has been tipped for a bright future in the game.
Hurst claims the decision to move to the South Coast was an easy one though.
“West Brom wanted to keep me but as soon as Portsmouth came in I knew that's where I wanted to be,” said Hurst in the Portsmouth News.
“It's a club on the up. They're the FA Cup winners, a Premier League club with high status, a top-eight team. For me it's the place to be.
“There were others interested such as Manchester United, Arsenal and Villa but I would obviously get more of a first-team opportunity here than I would at the others so it made sense.
“It's a really good club and there's a new stadium and new training facilities on the way so it's going to be really exciting round here.”
Someone should start keeping a record of all these guys that have turned us down...

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
It's thing you say when you join a new club;

"I could have joined United...but I'd rather sign for Colchester United because of first team football"

Eyepopper

thats 2 in 3 days now, Dos Santos was first... I really am gonna start counting them...

kiristao

I cant imagine what a situation we would have been in if we hadnt been winning anything because inspite of winning so many trophies, so many players "snub" us every year..

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter
I had to snub United couple of years ago. All the training gave me no time to study.

Bearded but no genius

Damned senile drunked old scottish bastard - first Ramsey, then Ronaldo and Queer-oz, then not selling Fletcher, now THIS@!!!!!!

Get Capello in here now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bearded but no genius

I cant imagine what a situation we would have been in if we hadnt been winning anything bcoz inspite of winning so many trophies, so many players "snub" us every year..
Please do not say 'bcoz' again, or I will have to eat your relatives alive.

Thank you.

Cold_Boy

Damned senile drunked old scottish bastard - first Ramsey, then Ronaldo and Queer-oz, then not selling Fletcher, now THIS@!!!!!!

Get Capello in here now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please do not say 'bcoz' again, or I will have to eat your relatives alive.

Thank you.
:yawn::rolleyes:

fecking hell!

You are the most pathetic and useless poster ever.Wtf are these posts for?

Can't believe how most bear with you here.:houllier:

Nanison

Surprising. I've been reading things like this ever since Shearer turned us down

Alex

He'll turn out to be shit no doubt, and if he is any good he will be begging for a club like United to sign him in the near future

Red For Ever

I cant imagine what a situation we would have been in if we hadnt been winning anything bcoz inspite of winning so many trophies, so many players "snub" us every year..
Good Job

If everyone signed who says they could have signed
( In some cases that claim is very doubtfull )

We would have a 1st team squad of about 432 players
Our second string would have about 500 players

We cant and don't want everyone
When we miss one we then find another

I have no problem with not signing every prospect out there

PS my spelling and and use of commas etc is poor
but using "bcoz" makes me look good, keep it up

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Sir Alex rang me in tears for years begging me to sign for United. I always told him no, saying that I wouldn't know what to do with all that money, fame, glory and all those medals.

I think I made the right decision. Picking the weavils out of biscuits is a noble trade and leaves me plenty of time to post on internet forums.

Partizan

Cheesy
We survived being bankrupt,we survived German bomb
Sir Alex rang me in tears for years begging me to sign for United. I always told him no, saying that I wouldn't know what to do with all that money, fame, glory and all those medals.

I think I made the right decision. Picking the weavils out of biscuits is a noble trade and leaves me plenty of time to post on internet forums.
I know how you feel, it was Sir Matt I had to turn down, forever on the phone begging me to change my mind, and getting John Aston Sr to throw pebbles at my bedroom window.

Shrek

FergiesRedNose
I think we need to look at the reasons for signing for a certain club,

1. You’re a fan of the Club and it’s always been your dream to play for them ( where have I heard that before, Cough ! )

2. To develop and improve as a footballer.

3. Prestige, fame, and medals.

4. The Money.

5. First team football, - the chance of actually getting a chance to play on a regular basis.

I think in the vast majority of cases the claim that “ United wanted me “ is made up, or maybe just an enquiry was made. But there are reasons why a player might choose another team over us. As in the Ramsey case, I feel he joined the Gooners because looked at both squads and he felt he has a better chance of breaking into the first team at Arsenal.

Also saying "I turned United down" is a good way of endearing themselves with their new club and fans.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Any half decent youth international gets looked at from scouts and acknowledgement is made of that interest to the kid & maybe his club, so if or when the lad progresses to the level which that club hopes he would - they approach with a view to signing! If he hasnt progressed then an offer will not be made!

Harry's made a living outta picking players up that other bigger clubs dont want because he's willing to take the risk on their talent, that other clubs wont waste their time on as they have similiar quality coming through the youth ranks!

UnitedRoadRed

I've run it through a Babelfish translation from PR bullshit to English and it translates as:

I turned United down because I'm too shit to get near their first team. Harry bunged me a few quid and said I'd get pick of the tea ladies on my first day.

Eyepopper

I think Cold_Boy's taking this news hard.. its ok mate... we'll survive!

Spoony

The People's President
Stan Collymore was saying that they used to have this game amongst footballers. . .basically, 'who would you rather play for?', 'Scunthorpe United(for example) for a £100K a week or Man United, £10K a week'. He said everyone always went for Man United. He also said, that if you asked 99% of footballers, they'd go for less money to United than play for Chelsea, despite, possibly, being on higher wages. Must admit, I was surprised how well he regarded United. He reckoned most players would prefer to be a legend at United than any other club.

Good man, that bloke.

Eyepopper

wouldnt be too keen on playing any games with him though!

VoetbalWizard

Stan Collymore was saying that they used to have this game amongst footballers. . .basically, 'who would you rather play for?', 'Scunthorpe United(for example) for a £100K a week or Man United, £10K a week'. He said everyone always went for Man United. He also said, that if you asked 99% of footballers, they'd go for less money to United than play for Chelsea, despite, possibly, being on higher wages. Must admit, I was surprised how well he regarded United. He reckoned most players would prefer to be a legend at United than any other club.

Good man, that bloke.
he was talking about british players right? surely not foreign players.

UnitedRoadRed

Good man, that bloke.
Very dangerous in Europe too, certainly knew how to beat a Swede. :eek:

Someone else said that 99% of players wanted to play for United, the other 1% were liars.

kiristao

Good Job

If everyone signed who says they could have signed
( In some cases that claim is very doubtfull )

We would have a 1st team squad of about 432 players
Our second string would have about 500 players
Have you heard of something called sarcasm?