Hala Madrid!

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Not everything Fergie said should be taken as gospel. There's a lot of stuff he said in the heat of the moment and it was more related to the specific circumstances around them tapping up Ronaldo. He might have been annoyed with some of Perez's tactics, but I'm sure deep down he has a lot of respect for the club and realises Perez is an incredible president for them.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Not everything Fergie said should be taken as gospel. There's a lot of stuff he said in the heat of the moment and it was more related to the specific circumstances around them tapping up Ronaldo. He might have been annoyed with some of Perez's tactics, but I'm sure deep down he has a lot of respect for the club and realises Perez is an incredible president for them.
Perez wasn't president at the time. In fact the timing of the sale points to SAF not wanting to sell to Calderon

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Oh my mistake, I thought I remembered Perez being involved in that transfer, must have mixed up!
He was. He became president again in May/June 2009. A month later he signed Cristiano. Deal was already in place, SAF just didn't want to close it with Calderon

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
He was. He became president again in May/June 2009. A month later he signed Cristiano. Deal was already in place, SAF just didn't want to close it with Calderon
Ah right! I mean my point still stands (probably even stronger in fact) that it wasn't Real Madrid as an institution SAF had an issue with, but rather the tactics of individuals.

GueRed

Domestic: Liverpool, Leeds, Arsenal (In that order)
Europe: Real, Bayern (In that order)

These are the teams that I hated growing up being a United fan. Can never say "Hala Madrid!" as they represented all the evil before the emergence of these oil clubs. The haughtiness, poaching of the very best players, the Spanish government bailouts, the corruption, the fans etc etc. Enough reasons to hate them.

Kind of sad that we have to stoop to the level of all the ABU fans in my lifetime to now even wish for these clubs winning to stop City or Liverpool. Absolutely despise it.

Arsenal 3rd? Nah. Arsenal fans would love that though they have a weird hard-on for United

Abroad out of all the big clubs I do dislike Real Madrid the most for reasons you already mentioned. Delighted with the result last night though, get in.

Zen86

Most of their old guard fans are watching County or give less of a shit since City Group bleached any identity they had. The ones left are a spectacular example of how quickly fans can become a bunch of whiney, spoiled brats when enough money and shiney things is thrown in front of them.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
We've never had a "rivalry" with Real Madrid.
Maybe you were too young back then, but I remember the heartbreaks in those Quarter finals losses in the late 1990's and the early 00's. The whole Ronaldo saga was pathetic. The undeserved Nani red card in R16 when we were the better team (Still remember RVP's miss at the Bernabeu) in SAF's last CL campaign.

Have always hated them.

Son

Maybe you were too young back then, but I remember the heartbreaks in those Quarter finals losses in the late 1990's and the early 00's. The whole Ronaldo saga was pathetic. The undeserved Nani red card in R16 when we were the better team (Still remember RVP's miss at the Bernabeu) in SAF's last CL campaign.

Have always hated them.
We’ve never beaten them in my lifetime over two legs but we should have had a Madrid - United final in Glasgow.

In all honesty the Glazer’s really robbed us of any rivalry. I dislike Madrid myself but the fact are they have well and truly put our club in the shade in the past decade or more.

United have rotted basically for far too long and I say that as a United fan to even be compared to Real these days. It’s been an utter embarrassment really how poor we’ve been in Europe since Sir Alex retired.

Ajax have had more semi final appearances in the past decade it’s just utterly laughable. Spurs even got to a final in that time and we haven’t even got to one semi final. Haven’t even got a sniff never mind winning the thing.

As I’ve said before our European record overall isn’t good. It never was but in recent years it’s gone to a whole new level of poor.

InfiniteBoredom

Used to dislike them quite a bit in my younger years when they put us out of Europe a couple times + the Ronaldo transfer, peaked with the travesty that is SAF’s last CL tie.

Mellowed out after reading about how much they helped us following Munich (Di Stéfano’ a proposed transfer, offer of the European Cup, the many friendlies with most of the proceeds going to Utd), nowadays have a soft spot for them even after their service in making the Scousers and Shitty cry, imagine how much more unbearable would it be these last 10 years if those two weren’t beaten for a total of 4 times by Madrid.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Have always hated them.
I attended all of those games... None of that makes for an actual rivalry.

Our rivals are Liverpool, City and Leeds... Arsenal to some because of the Ferguson/Wenger years, but for me that was always a time and place rivalry, rather then anything long lasting (as I don't really hate Arsenal now or anything).

TheLord

Club biases aside, love them, hate them, but you can't argue the fact that they're the greatest club in football - currently and historically.

stevoc

Have always hated them.
When did we play Real in the 90's?

In 2000?

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I attended all of those games... None of that makes for an actual rivalry.

Our rivals are Liverpool, City and Leeds... Arsenal to some because of the Ferguson/Wenger years, but for me that was always a time and place rivalry, rather then anything long lasting (as I don't really hate Arsenal now or anything).
To each their own, bud. Even though they are the lesser evils between Liverpool,City and them, Arsenal winning the title while we remain shit will be hard to take. Plus, for all the shit I have given Arsenal fans over the last 20 years, especially the "Top 4 trophy" years, I'll have to go into hiding if they win the title this season or in the next couple before we can get back to challenging again.