Gaming Half-Life: Alyx (PC VR)

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
A new Half-Life game is probably worth it's own thread even if the bastards have made it VR exclusive.

Play as Alyx between HL and HL2 and it's roughly the same length as HL2.

It's look great but if a new Half-Life game isn't enough to tempt me into VR, nothing will.

The Firestarter

I thought that universe was abandoned by valve already. Their (in)decisions on this have been baffling.

The Firestarter

To be honest , if that was HL3 being announced, I'd be breaking my keyboard to order VR gear.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I thought that universe was abandoned by valve already. Their (in)decisions on this have been baffling.
Its very sad, relative to its time it’s one of the most immersive and complete game Universes ever and it’s got both a cult and casual following.

It’s just such a complex title though, we’re talking over a decade since HL2 came out. You’re not going to get the old development team back together and Valve is a different beast today more focused on their platform than actual development. I don’t know who would have the motivation or guts to bring out HL3.

The Firestarter

Its very sad, relative to its time it’s one of the most immersive and complete game Universes ever and it’s got both a cult and casual following.

It’s just such a complex title though, we’re talking over a decade since HL2 came out. You’re not going to get the old development team back together and Valve is a different beast today more focused on their platform than actual development. I don’t know who would have the motivation or guts to bring out HL3.
Yet they are creating a spin off in the same universe, so they must have at least an idea of the demand out there. They may also be testing the waters with this, to check the viability of continuing the original HL.
In fairness, I have to say their last spinoff was rather fun. The cake was a lie though.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Gabe Newell is a greedy shit, stop focusing on steam you money grabbing gits!. Finish half life properly and give us another left 4 dead then you can focus on steam all you like. I'm also wondering if half life alyx is a hit, half life 3 will likely go vr route. Personally like a few have said they're testing the waters.

Ainu

I actually applaud them for doing this. I like VR and in my opinion there are some amazing experiences already available for the platform, but it still needs that killer title to really gain momentum. This could be it. It could also fail spectacularly but I like that a company like Valve is willing to take that risk. I just hope I can play it on PS5 with my current PSVR headset eventually though.

Chairman Steve

As someone whose two favourite video games of all time is HL1 and HL2, I’m very excited by this.

I always had a feeling Valve would go the VR route for future HL games. If there’s one thing Valve like to do, it’s be innovative but at the expense of taking their sweet time about things. The silence between HL1 and HL2 felt like forever at the time, but it was worth it. The HL2 E3 demo is the stuff of legends and I’ve lost count how many times I watched footage of that game being demoed by Valve when waiting for it to be released. So much cool, cutting edge stuff was shown. The cherry on top of that HL2 E3 demo was it was supposed to released like 3 months later, instead of 15 months later like it ended up being.

Valve have done the same thing here where they show you glimpses of something that’s potentially epic then tell you it’ll be released in 3 months. I am getting vibes of it being potentially the HL3 VR tech demo but they ended up making it a game. If it sells well (probably will alone because it’s HL) then I can see HL3 being a full on VR FPS game, and marking the new groundbreaking revolution in gaming where VR is a legitimate genre and not some fad.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
So every year I allow myself one game to play - always the one that appeals to me most. This year I have to buy a fecking headset for £900 to play in its full glory and then wait 8 weeks for delivery? I dunno man, seems like a big ask. Then again this does look er....brilliant.

Full feature length game (15hrs+), totally immersive life size world, what looks to be seamless environment interaction and, well, it's half-life innit. The teleportation thing looks a bit crap but apparently it's optional. Someone tell me it's bollocks before I splurge a stupid amount of cash. Argh.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It does look fantastic but no way am I paying for a headset. What I can do is steal the one my spoilt nephew got for Christmas.

evil_geko

Too bad it is Gimmick exclusive, oh well. I hope actual HL3 comes out soon after this.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
So every year I allow myself one game to play - always the one that appeals to me most. This year I have to buy a fecking headset for £900 to play in its full glory and then wait 8 weeks for delivery? I dunno man, seems like a big ask. Then again this does look er....brilliant.

Full feature length game (15hrs+), totally immersive life size world, what looks to be seamless environment interaction and, well, it's half-life innit. The teleportation thing looks a bit crap but apparently it's optional. Someone tell me it's bollocks before I splurge a stupid amount of cash. Argh.
Teleportation is actually ok in these games, but yeah it does have full locomotion.

I might see how reliable hooking up the PSVR headset is before thinking about a dedicated PC setup.

Chairman Steve

HL Alyx is currently 93 on Metacritic, which is pretty fecking great for an aggregated score. It’s weird to see Valve being so open and transparent recently. They’re famously very close guarded with everything yet they’re doing so much press now. Gabe talking directly about HL games is surreal at this point.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I would like to play this, but I don't think my Vive Cosmos is up to the task. It's a decent headset overall, but its biggest flaw is easily precise hand control, which seems like it might be an issue for this game in particular. It sometimes loses track. I sort of wish I didn't buy it, but on the other hand the Valve Index isn't even for sale in Norway, so I don't regret it too much.

evil_geko

Hoping now for a real Half-Life 3 to come out after this gimmick is out of the way.

evil_geko

If this game is a success, HL3 will likely be VR only.
Then dark gaming times are ahead of us.

But I don't think so, even if it is successful, VR is still just a gimmick and can't be used competitively or for longer serious games. Lots of people want to come home and chill out and relax with the game, not flail their hands around.

Yes, this game will get high scores because of something innovative and new, but mainstream gaming wise, it will never be sustainable. Not with current VR technology anyway.

Last edited:

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
This needs to come out on PS4, and Iron Man VR needs to come out on Steam in response.

Good trade

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
I don't think I'm exaggerating to say this is THE most immersive video game, I've ever played. It is very, very well done. It's hard though. Like proper hard. It's very reminiscent of playing TLOU.

Also, to anyone worried about buying an expensive VR setup to play this game, don't bother. I'm playing on the Oculus Quest (wirelessly, using virtual desktop) and it's flawless.

Last edited:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I don't think I'm exaggerating to say this is THE most immersive video game, I've ever played. It is very, very well done. It's hard though. Like proper hard. It's very reminiscent of playing TLOU.

Also, to anyone worried about buying an expensive VR setup to play this game, don't bother. I'm playing on the Oculus Quest (wirelessly, using virtual desktop) and it's flawless.
Not often I’m jealous of PC gamers but I am with this title. I can only hope it eventually comes to PSVR.