Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Beckham was very petulant as a youngster playing in midfield, especially after getting kicked. What happened with Simeone in 98, wasn't a surprise to me because Beckham reacting after being dropped was normal. The difference with Hannibal is that he gets kicked more because he's got the ability to dribble the ball.
I haven't seen him much to be fair so I cant judge. Wasn't very impressed with him vs Palace though.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah i'd say he's much more like a young Rooney in terms of temperament. That is what gives him his fight and drive though. Give me somebody with that sort of attitude over some of the lackadaisical players we have right now.
Yeah, Rooney would be a better comparison. But he was pretty clever about keeping onside with the referees and his record in terms of red/yellow cards was actually decent.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I would like to see him in a team that is on the same wavelength as him. I honestly believe that many of United's current squad don't think quickly enough to get in the right positions for him to pass to, or see his movement so they can pass the ball to him.
I also believe that he is the player that ETH should start to build a team around in the long term.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah, Rooney would be a better comparison. But he was pretty clever about keeping onside with the referees and his record in terms of red/yellow cards was actually decent.
Probably helped being the English wonderkid, he always got a lot of extra leniency if I remember. Not sure Hannibal would be allowed to have the same.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Looks like a really good player and I wonder if ETH might want to try him as an 8 in 4-3-3. He’s got a good engine as well as technique and I think he could be very good there long term if you want to get better in possession in the middle of the park.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah i'd say he's much more like a young Rooney in terms of temperament. That is what gives him his fight and drive though. Give me somebody with that sort of attitude over some of the lackadaisical players we have right now.
Rooney would go kicking players and Hannibal reacts after getting kicked hence me comparing him to a young Beckham in that regard.

And it was reported by Laurie Whitwell that Hannibal was told to put himself about against Liverpool in the dying minutes by the coaching staff, and he did just that.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Rooney would go kicking players and Hannibal reacts after getting kicked hence me comparing him to a young Beckham in that regard.

And it was reported by Laurie Whitwell that Hannibal was told to put himself about against Liverpool in the dying minutes by the coaching staff, and he did just that.
I'm comparing more their attitude than their actions. Tbf he gave Zaha plenty of kicks also.

He certainly took those words seriously at least :D Just a bit silly that he followed them then didn't get back in the team for weeks.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
He has shown that he is more than capable of playing first team football with us which was important as I think a loan could be risky given his temperament. They would likely drop him at the first sign of trouble as they are only interested in the short term. Manage him properly and he could be a top player, bags of potential.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's extremely talented, but needs to be carefully managed. Seems one of those hot headed youngsters who can easily derail their careers.
Gavira has made a career at Barca of being young and getting stuck in. Don’t see why Mejbri can’t do the same

Billy Bullcrap

Supports
Wrexham
Do Utd fans really think players like Hannibal Mejbri will take you back to the top. I get the fact that he does put in a shift and looks like he wants to win but I don’t see him as anywhere near ready yet.

Adamsk7

Think he definitely did enough (not hard considering the dross he was playing with) to seriously feature in Ten Hag's plans next season. We are not going to sign the 7-8 players we need to bulk the squad out after the departures so that means we will have to put some faith in the likes of Hannibal, Garnacho and Amad, which can only be a good thing IMO. Of all of them, I think Hannibal looks the most ready to step up physically.

MDFC Manager

Probably helped being the English wonderkid, he always got a lot of extra leniency if I remember. Not sure Hannibal would be allowed to have the same.
What I wanted to say as well. Besides Rooney had Fergie howling into referees ears from the touchline

Hannibal seems no more aggressive than say Jack Wilshere at the same age

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I love the kid. Zaha was trying to take the piss but he wasn't having it. The guy is a warrior. Combined twith that talent, he will be a fan favourite if he makes it.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
What I wanted to say as well. Besides Rooney had Fergie howling into referees ears from the touchline

Hannibal seems no more aggressive than say Jack Wilshere at the same age
Again, Scrappy Doo was English though, and an Arsenal player to boot - the most protected club in the country. Mejbri will have to behave himself better than Wilshere did in order to keep out of trouble.

city-puma

Do Utd fans really think players like Hannibal Mejbri will take you back to the top. I get the fact that he does put in a shift and looks like he wants to win but I don’t see him as anywhere near ready yet.
Players from generation to generation, at least for me, are part of natural evolution in any club. They just need to be given opportunity to develop and sooner or later will displace the senior established senior players. Even in this dreadful season, we have seen how Elanga develops his game in just a few months. I am very positive for them to contribute to our team.

goalscholes

Worth saying we'll have 5 subs next year, so far more opportunities to ease him into the first team gradually.

I'd prefer to keep him than send him on loan.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
How often have you watched him play?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He was shit like the rest of the team.
I frequently watch the U23s and don't rate him. Having said that, judging him in such a mess is nonsensical. We'll see what ETH makes of him.

JeffFromHK

He got some Felliani-esque clumsiness in his body movements. It doesn't look good. If we make him a 1st team regular I am 100% sure he will be a fouling machine.

In Rainbows

I frequently watch the U23s and don't rate him. Having said that, judging him in such a mess is nonsensical. We'll see what ETH makes of him.
you watch the u23s and don't rate him
:lol:

What flaws do you see in him at u23 level for you to not rate him? Probably the only one I can think of is his scoring ability. However, seeing as he should be developed as a cm, I don't see that as a problem.

He got some Felliani-esque clumsiness in his body movements. It doesn't look good.
No he doesn't.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Getting kicked won't be the only problem. He will get his afro yanked a lot in the big league. (Happened a few times in his Academy matches.)
Will that be equivalent to defenders pinching the opposition and no yellow card?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

What flaws do you see in him at u23 level for you to not rate him? Probably the only one I can think of is his scoring ability. However, seeing as he should be developed as a cm, I don't see that as a problem.

No he doesn't.
It seems the match-day thread syndrome (MDTS) is afflicting Academy matches too.

Poster 1: So & so is having a mare.
Poster 2: Eh? He just provided 2 assists and nearly score a goal?
Poster 3: Are we watching the same match?

Adnan

Talent Spotter

No he doesn't.
Him not scoring enough isn't a flaw at youth level imo. There's been many great players past and present who weren't close to being goal scorers at youth level but added the goals as their career progressed.

It's more important to be a player that enhances the collective in open play, which will then lead to a system of play being functional. And when you create conditions for functionality from back to front, then a team becomes a well oiled machine where opportunities are created in abundance.

This is something that has been absent for nearly a decade at the club, and we've had players who have put up great individual stats when it comes to scoring/creating goals or stopping opposition shots. But those same players have also contributed to us not being a well oiled machine, when it comes to playing a cohesive brand of football. And that's what we need to change via a coaching setup geared towards a proactive, attacking brand of football and introducing a higher caliber of player in the build up phase.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Don't know how anyone can't rate him off his U23 performances. He's a brat but an immensely talented one.

jesperjaap

Worth saying we'll have 5 subs next year, so far more opportunities to ease him into the first team gradually.

I'd prefer to keep him than send him on loan.
Something many are forgetting. Some of these youngsters and even average squad players staying could be very valuable next season for that very reason, should be more opportunities for them too like you say

El Jefe

I've never gotten the hype with him. As usual you get a bunch of posters that act as hypebeasts for certain youngsters and create an expectation of them not only making it but breaking into the first 11.

There are people on here that think he should have been in the team in 2020/21. We've seen the same with Laird, Tuanzebe and many more. Breaking through at top clubs at 18/19 is extremely rare especially for attacking minded players, you need talent but you also have to be reliable. From what I've seen of Hannibal, he's anything but reliable, he's a loose cannon and I don't think his talent is big enough to tolerate that as it was with someone like Rooney.

He clearly can play and has talent but he doesn't stand out as being a sure thing to me as some on here would have you believe.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I've never gotten the hype with him. As usual you get a bunch of posters that act as hypebeasts for certain youngsters and create an expectation of them not only making it but breaking into the first 11.

There are people on here that think he should have been in the team in 2020/21. We've seen the same with Laird, Tuanzebe and many more. Breaking through at top clubs at 18/19 is extremely rare especially for attacking minded players, you need talent but you also have to be reliable. From what I've seen of Hannibal, he's anything but reliable, he's a loose cannon and I don't think his talent is big enough to tolerate that as it was with someone like Rooney.

He clearly can play and has talent but he doesn't stand out as being a sure thing to me as some on here would have you believe.
Is anyone actually pretending he’s a certainty? People want to see players like Laird, Garner, Greenwood and Hannibal given a chance to play at first team level to see what they’re about due to their impressive performances at youth level. These sort of comments are parroted constantly, but as a regular of the youth forum almost none of the regulars actually think anyone is a certainty and most recognise how rare it is for someone to make it. In fact, I think it’s more common for non-regular youth watchers to accuse regular youth watchers of saying these things when they rarely do. Nobody thinks Hannibal is the next Iniesta but we think based on his very good performances for the U23s (and they have been very good, you’d have have to be living in fecking dream land to think otherwise) that he deserves minutes in the first team. Hardly unreasonable, is it?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Is anyone actually pretending he’s a certainty? People want to see players like Laird, Garner, Greenwood and Hannibal given a chance to play at first team level to see what they’re about due to their impressive performances at youth level. These sort of comments are parroted constantly, but as a regular of the youth forum almost none of the regulars actually think anyone is a certainty and most recognise how rare it is for someone to make it. In fact, I think it’s more common for non-regular youth watchers to accuse regular youth watchers of saying these things when they rarely do. Nobody thinks Hannibal is the next Iniesta but we think based on his very good performances for the U23s (and they have been very good, you’d have have to be living in fecking dream land to think otherwise) that he deserves minutes in the first team. Hardly unreasonable, is it?
Spot on mate.

MDFC Manager

Well said.

Besides, people were asking for him to be given chances because we're fecking tired of the dross that is the first team midfield

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I'm not saying you're lying, but I've just had a scan of your post history and you have pretty much never commented in the youth forum which seems odd for such an avid watcher. Can't see any other posts on Hannibal either. Are you sure you arent judging him based on one game and disguising it as expertise?

RuudTom83

Well said.

Besides, people were asking for him to be given chances because we're fecking tired of the dross that is the first team midfield
Exactly, we have tried and tested the McFred formula to death...lets change it up and see what the younger lads can do.

El Jefe

Well one person looks wildly out of place in that list and its Greenwood. Players like that will always get their chance young because he was an exceptional talent, the others will have to take a much longer route. Garner is a perfect example too, people wanted him to get a chance two or three seasons ago as a teenager but he's only just coming into his own in the Championship at 20/21.

My issue with 'some' of the regular youth watchers is how they build expectations for players that are far off being regulars. We haven't lost a single youngster that we regret not giving playing time since Pogba over 10 years ago. If they don't breakthrough or don't get given a chance its most likely because they weren't good enough.

I've watched a fair bit of Hannibal and he's not nearly as talented as some think he is. It's also difficult to pin down a role for him in the first team. I personally think he's a long way away from getting relevant minutes in our team. So you may be right in saying, he isn't being pushed as a certainty but the push for him to be a first team regular is overrating his ability at this moment in time.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
well said, if they are worse than we have now let's find out early
Absolutely.

I said before we signed players like Wan Bissaka that we should maybe see if we've possibly got internal solutions before going ahead and signing the wrong profile of player for big money. And if that internal solution wasn't up to the task, then he would be moved on without much fuss or financial loss. But we went ahead and signed a 50m fullback that opponents gave space to because he wasn't good enough on the ball. It would've been better if we developed a younger player that was already at the club. But unfortunately we also failed at appointing managers who were in-tune with the changing dynamics in the European game.

I have no issues with signings like Frenkie de Jong over a budding youth player. And there's no guarantee anyone will come in and be a success. But if we're to be wrong on a player, then be wrong on a player that is the correct fit as far as profile is concerned.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I'm not saying you're lying, but I've just had a scan of your post history and you have pretty much never commented in the youth forum which seems odd for such an avid watcher. Can't see any other posts on Hannibal either. Are you sure you arent judging him based on one game and disguising it as expertise?
Most of the youth players that are anywhere close to the first team or labeled as such have discussions outside of the youth forum, in which I do post frequently. Besides I only watch the reserves, not the junior ones. Not that it would mean anything if I watched the reserve games and didn't bother to post in the youth forum.

It's quite bizarre the lengths people go to, to attack a poster when they see an opinion conflicting with theirs.
I was called a secret scouser for not rating Maguire all too highly last summer.
Now, I'm saying I don't see a Man United first team player in Hannibal, and you're the second poster accusing me of lying about having watched him.
Because how could anyone in their right mind watch Hannibal (actually seen him for Tunisia as well) and not think he's the next Pogba :rolleyes:

edit: Searching my posts with "Hannibal" and "Mejbri" gives a combined 33 hits....

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Now, I'm saying I don't see a Man United first team player in Hannibal,
No, people are calling you out for saying you avidly watch the U23s and not rating him. No one here is saying he's a dead cert to become a Utd first teamer, that's a strawman you have just created in reaction to being called out.

Status
Not open for further replies.