Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Since when should deeper players not be technically developed? Hannibal showed enough workrate to feature there, he's got high energy to play especially for Rangnick there, far from a traditional no6 ina rigid system under Ole but definitely deeper in more compact high energy team in a progressive system full of pressing. He definitely showed he's got the grit to win the ball and release the ball very quickly if asked. He would be my hidden gem for the summer and replacement for Matic who is on his last legs the last 2 seasons already.
I never said the deeper two in midfield don't need to be technically good.

But having watched Leipzig under Rangnick, he utilises two high energy players in midfield in a 4222, and two 8s, flanking the DM in a 442 diamond or a 4312, which are formations where Hannibal can flank a DM. But I wouldn't expect Hannibal to play deep in a two under a coach who wants to implement 'heavy metal' football because he'll have to defend much more than attack.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I am happy he's away with the international team. He needs as many professional (playing against men) minutes as possible.
Yeah, I agree. The amount of football he's got with them it's like a loan spell.

pascell

He’s getting closer that’s for sure. I have a slight worry about his temperament but RR should be able to iron that out. Personally I think it’s the only thing that can hold him back now
It's a massive worry for me, especially since he's been told to kerb it quite a few times now and it's also seen him be sent off in a game.

It's been obvious for a while now that he's too good to be playing u23 football but his temperament is what's prevented him making the step up to senior football full time.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's a massive worry for me, especially since he's been told to kerb it quite a few times now and it's also seen him be sent off in a game.

It's been obvious for a while now that he's too good to be playing u23 football but his temperament is what's prevented him making the step up to senior football full time.
Plenty of fiery players in the mens game. It's more due to him getting the shit kicked out of him every game at amateur level. I don't remember a player getting fouled as often as that.

In the mens game it just won't happen as regularly.

pascell

Plenty of fiery players in the mens game. It's more due to him getting the shit kicked out of him every game at amateur level. I don't remember a player getting fouled as often as that.

In the mens game it just won't happen as regularly.
A good comparison for a player getting fouled as much is Grealish, especially last season for Villa. Personally I can't see him getting a run of games for the first team until he kerbs it as he'd be a liability when on a booking.

Adam-Utd

A good comparison for a player getting fouled as much is Grealish, especially last season for Villa. Personally I can't see him getting a run of games for the first team until he kerbs it as he'd be a liability when on a booking.
Grealish holds onto the ball and carries it a lot more. Part of his game is to literally bait in fouls then fall over. Mejbri genuinely gets smashed from every angle - and he's been injured a few times by it already now.

I don't think he's any worse than what Fernandes is for instance. Yes he will always have to be a little careful but i'm sure he will keep it in check when it matters.

He hasn't shown any issues for Tunisia so far that I know of?

Glorio

You misunderstood my point or maybe I wasn't clear I want him to be developed as playmaking no 8 who should comfortable in midfield two with natural no 6 as well as in midfield 3 because he has the skill set to succeed there unlike our other attacking options .
Oh ... apologies, I definitely misunderstood there!

the_cliff

Grealish holds onto the ball and carries it a lot more. Part of his game is to literally bait in fouls then fall over. Mejbri genuinely gets smashed from every angle - and he's been injured a few times by it already now.

I don't think he's any worse than what Fernandes is for instance. Yes he will always have to be a little careful but i'm sure he will keep it in check when it matters.

He hasn't shown any issues for Tunisia so far that I know of?
He's been Tunisia's overall best player so far in the Arab cup, however they have in general been very underwhelming.

He's in the starting 11 against UAE which is a decent test for him, game starts in 20 mins and is on the FIFA TV youtube channel live if anyone wants to watch.

the_cliff

Anybody here saw the game?
He played well, defended well, could've done better on the ball though, he played well but I thought there were a few players that were better than him. Should give him confidence though for the quarter finals next week.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He has the work rate/stamina to play in one of the two roles behind the front two in a 4222, along with being strong technically. It'll be interesting to see how Rangnick sees things.
Yes, I was thinking during the game against Crystal Palace that that formation really might open up the door for Hannibal to get opportunities when he comes back. Seems almost tailor-made for that role at this stage of his career.

Teja

Don't really mind the internationals for him. Gets experience at the right level and he's a key player for Tunisia so no chance of him sitting on the bench like Rashford and Sancho.

redom

He played well, defended well, could've done better on the ball though, he played well but I thought there were a few players that were better than him. Should give him confidence though for the quarter finals next week.
Yeah, he was on the periphery of the game and not really involved that much so it's surprising he got motm. He did work his arse off though, closing down, filling in and just generally being defensively responsible as he was playing on the right of central midfield. He did give away one clumsy foul that UAE got one of their best chances from but there weren't really any outstanding performances in the game so his profile probably helped him get the nod.

It's all good experience for him though and hopefully Tunisia keep progressing in the tourny.

Adam-Utd

Don't really mind the internationals for him. Gets experience at the right level and he's a key player for Tunisia so no chance of him sitting on the bench like Rashford and Sancho.
agreed - better than playing reserve football

lex talionis

I'm still enjoying the fact that we have a player named Hannibal, who comes from North Africa. I'd love to see the boy become a United legend.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I've watched all the games he's played in the group stage and it was a frustrating watch because Tunisia are not good at all in the offensive transitions. It seems like they aren't coached to a good enough level and moves are constantly breaking down due to poor decisions from the players. Hannibal I felt has been ignored on a number of occasions when he's made himself available for a pass.

But his off the ball game was really good and he was applying pressure constantly from a deeper midfield role. He was very disciplined in his role and seemed to know exactly where to position himself defensively.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Would he be able to play in the 6’s role in the 4-2-2-2 or is he best suited to one of the 10 roles

Chairman Woodie

I've watched all the games he's played in the group stage and it was a frustrating watch because Tunisia are not good at all in the offensive transitions. It seems like they aren't coached to a good enough level and moves are constantly breaking down due to poor decisions from the players. Hannibal I felt has been ignored on a number of occasions when he's made himself available for a pass.

But his off the ball game was really good and he was applying pressure constantly from a deeper midfield role. He was very disciplined in his role and seemed to know exactly where to position himself defensively.
I watched the matches too. I agree with your analysis.

RuudTom83

Honestly I like his fiery temperament...I don't see it as a negative, and it's yet to be seen if its just because he is too good for that level. So he showboats to make it more entertaining, which brings confrontations and fouls (similar to how a more selfish Grealish would play) he doesn't play like that every match through, just in isolation...that's how I see it anyway.

the_cliff

Yeah, he was on the periphery of the game and not really involved that much so it's surprising he got motm. He did work his arse off though, closing down, filling in and just generally being defensively responsible as he was playing on the right of central midfield. He did give away one clumsy foul that UAE got one of their best chances from but there weren't really any outstanding performances in the game so his profile probably helped him get the nod.

It's all good experience for him though and hopefully Tunisia keep progressing in the tourny.
Agreed.

That's literally Tunisia in a nutshell, they are known as the Atletico Madrid of North Africa and really set up to defend primarily. They are known to be far less expressive and attacking as their neighbours (Algeria, Egypt and Morocco).

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He's much more suited to playing deeper in midfield than as a half 10. His passing is great, his deep runs or his ability to beat a man aren't spectacular. He oozes composure.

city-puma

He's much more suited to playing deeper in midfield than as a half 10. His passing is great, his deep runs or his ability to beat a man aren't spectacular. He oozes composure.
I have the similar view. If he is not eventually developed into a deep-lying playmaker, it seems a bit waste of his talent. However, it won’t be a good idea to throw him directly into that role at the beginning of his career. If we keep playing 4-2-2-2, I think he will get many opportunities. Let’s just be patient to watch how he develops. I think he will make it here.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I have the similar view. If he is not eventually developed into a deep-lying playmaker, it seems a bit waste of his talent. However, it won’t be a good idea to throw him directly into that role at the beginning of his career. If we keep playing 4-2-2-2, I think he will get many opportunities. Let’s just be patient to watch how he develops. I think he will make it here.
As @Adnan has said on here quite a few times, he was already playing that deeper midfield role for Monaco, so that's where he started out.

Chairman Woodie

Anybody here saw the game?
Yeah, I watched the match.

I am surprised Hannibal got MOTM. He had a quiet game. But when Hannibal was involved he did his job. He got a wonderful ovation from the Tunisia fans when he was substituted late in the second half.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
As @Adnan has said on here quite a few times, he was already playing that deeper midfield role for Monaco, so that's where he started out.
He's been at his best when he's been allowed to roam as the play making #8, from his Monaco days imo. Dropping deep to progress play, linking defense to attack, and being the midfield conduit where the game flows through him akin to a classic midfield metronome.

But what I've started to notice recently is that his tactical understanding of the game off the ball has started to improve. In the game yesterday he was playing deeper in midfield but was at times telling his older team mates to watch the threat in the defensive wide space, while he stayed tight on the oppo player breaking through into the half space. His work rate and pressing was a particular pleasing aspect in the game and he has the potential to provide tactical flexibility for any head coach due to his ability to play in multiple positions and different formations.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers

He's been at his best when he's been allowed to roam as the play making #8, from his Monaco days imo. Dropping deep to progress play, linking defense to attack, and being the midfield conduit where the game flows through him akin to a classic midfield metronome.

But what I've started to notice recently is that his tactical understanding of the game off the ball has started to improve. In the game yesterday he was playing deeper in midfield but was at times telling his older team mates to watch the threat in the defensive wide space, while he stayed tight on the oppo player breaking through into the half space. His work rate and pressing was a particular pleasing aspect in the game and he has the potential to provide tactical flexibility for any head coach due to his ability to play in multiple positions and different formations.
Do you think he'd be likely to get some game time at United with Ralf in charge for the rest of the season? If United could get a bit of cash in for Lingard in January, and just replace him with Hannibal, I think it would be a good move. It means he'll get minutes but without being over-relied on.

Red_toad

In the under 23's, some of the challenges he's getting will not be allowed in the VAR era. Some of them are potential career ending challenges, seeing him having his hair pulled and repeatedly hacked. It's pretty normal for someone to become frustrated and react in such circumstances. Very poor officiating is the main issue for him right now.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Do you think he'd be likely to get some game time at United with Ralf in charge for the rest of the season? If United could get a bit of cash in for Lingard in January, and just replace him with Hannibal, I think it would be a good move. It means he'll get minutes but without being over-relied on.
I do think we'll see him feature under Rangnick at some point this season. And I say that because he ticks every box when it comes to the style Rangnick wants to implement, which is to play a high intensity game on and off the ball with heavy emphasis on verticality in possession. And he provides the intensity on and off the ball, along with the ability to play quick, incisive, vertical passes through the lines. He's also someone that can be utilised in several roles, which is also something that is very helpful for a head coach. And Tunisia have utilised him off the left of a front 3, behind the striker and deeper in midfield in a disciplined role.

I'm hoping Lingard is moved on in January, which will hopefully open up slots for the younger talents. It'll also be good for Lingard to be a potential starting 11 player elsewhere.

city-puma

In the 4-2-2-2 system we are playing, I think Hannibal will be better than Bruno in the dual-No.10. He can also slot in two the lower 2. In fact the 2-2 midfield setup is highly dynamic, lateral and vertical switching is important between those four.

Status
Not open for further replies.