Hannibal Mejbri | Birmingham Loan Watch

Mr PG

Kobbie Mainoo, Hannibal, Zidane Iqbal....remember the names

In Rainbows

Looks like he's getting more comfortable and is showing more to his game. He'll start showing his creativity next.

Kramer

Well I suppose that answers at least one age old question.

The lad can do it on a wet and miserable night against stoke.

Red Rash

I'm guessing since he's performing so well we will give him game time next season. I think a midfield three of Casemiro, Eriksen and Hannibal would be fun to watch

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Yeah true. I've only peaked through the thread but seems to me the conversation started with a fairly innocuous comment that his temperament is something he needs to work on (and is something that generally improves with age anyway), and it's turned into an extreme argument about whether his temperament means he will mean he never make it for us. Not sure if anyone is, or actually would, claim the latter. 100% of 19 year old players need to work on stuff. Even world class players have some flaws, it's just a case of minimising them. Certainly a better base line to work with someone who is over-eager and aggressive than someone who is passive and deferential. If its harnessed correctly it can be turned into a major strength rather than a weakness.

On another note I think it may contribute to which position he ends up best suited to. If he can play with a cool head he has the tools to be a deep lying midfielder, if he keeps that impulsivness (in possession and defensively, as well as in terms of tempermant) he is more likely to end up as a more advanced midfielder. Its all speculation at this point though, he's 19 (19.75!), playing regular adult football in a tough league, he has plenty of time to develop as a player and I'm interested to see where he's at in another year or so. I think Birminghams 5122 formation is a good position for him at this stage, more positional discipline required than as a 10, but less shackled than playing in a double pivot.

Also, players change throughout their careers and especially during their 20s. People seem stuck on the idea that players have to be first teamers by a certain age, but some players it clicks at 19, others 21, others 25. Some players games at 19 is stylistically the same as when they're 30, others have changes in their style either gradually or sometimes drastically. I'm just enjoying watching Hannibal and others develop on loan atm (Laird, Fernandez, Diallo).
Great post, I was about to say the same how it might affective his positioning and the position ETH assigns to him (at least initially).

In addition, I could definitely see a case for him playing some LW in the PL at an early age. Let him play the first 60 to pester someone like Kyle Walker then bring on Garnacho the last 30. ;)

Also, your comment on how players change is spot on. Sergio Ramos is mentioned above (as an example of someone with a temper), IIRC Ramos change from RB took place when he was 24 y/o when Real suffered injuries to guys like Pepe. We all view Darlot as a RB right now and as a fairly finished product, if he hypothetically took the same route as Ramos it would make him one of the best CBs in the world in a few years.

Last edited:

chris123

If they can get promoted, I can see us sending him for one more year.
If they get promoted, he will have been a large reason why and will have demonstrated that he's ready for major minutes for us next season. I don't see us sending him on loan again, he looks ready to me.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
If they get promoted, he will have been a large reason why and will have demonstrated that he's ready for major minutes for us next season. I don't see us sending him on loan again, he looks ready to me.
Whilst I don’t disagree with you, this statement could of been taken directly from the Garner thread from last year, and look where he is.

I think Hannibal is more talented and has a higher ceiling, so I would hope he can kick on and continue this form for the season.

Idxomer

He looks to have adapted very quickly to the physicality of the championship which is a pleasant surprise.

Vanrouge

I think most will.
They play for Manchester United and this is a Manchester United forum :houllier: :houllier:
Did you really not understand this post? It seemed pretty clear that Mr PG was saying those three players will all break through. It wasn't so much a reminder to United fans as it was a general statement about their potential.

Bondi77

Did you really not understand this post? It seemed pretty clear that Mr PG was saying those three players will all break through. It wasn't so much a reminder to United fans as it was a general statement about their potential.
I understood the post.
They seem to pop up a lot and disappear just as quickly.

Abraxas

Great to hear this is going well. If he keeps it up for a season he'll be an option here. Much more so than someone like Garner who many were rather ambivalent towards. Hannibal started off as an exceptionally well rated talent so if he shows his stuff in the Championship it's a good sign.

angak

I love his temperament.

He has a real competitive streak. Doesn't like losing duels and flys for challenges. You can't teach that. Either you have it or you don't.

As you grow older and become more mature this needs to harnessed of course but the intangibles are thier.

angak

He needs to tone it down a notch but I'll prefer this type of personality, also you see it with Antony, Mctominay, Casemiro, Martinez, Garnacho, Bruno to the Lindelof, De Gea and Sancho type personality.
If I was an opponent I know who I'll want to play against.
This exactly.

You would much rather the over aggressive vs the meek footballers that we've had to do with for a while now.

Glorio

I think most will.
They play for Manchester United and this is a Manchester United forum :houllier: :houllier:
Surely you get his point?

Edit:
Ah ... I see you've answered the same Q - apologies for rehashing

Mr PG

I think he will play for us as a no.8 . He's a proper CM. Many of our players like Eriksen are either good going forward but weak defensively or good defensively but can't pass ...McTominay, Fred. The biggest weakness we have in CM is we lack a dribbler so when Eriksen is pressed he ends up having to pass sideways and teams have started targeting him to stunt our ball progression.

Bondi77

Looks like Bellingham isn't getting a look in now Hannibal is at Birmingham :drool:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
How’s he done tonight ?
He was pretty poor tonight. Struggled a bit positionally and got dragged around a fair bit. Having said that his work rate was pretty outstanding and he was constantly asserting himself both defensively and in terms of what he did on the ball.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
How’s he done tonight ?
I watched the full match and he did okay. But the way Birmingham setup by not having a build up play really doesn't suit him as far as getting on the ball is concerned, especially against teams like Swansea who do attempt to play their way through the defensive and middle thirds of the pitch.

He played the full 90 minutes and he ends up in positions high up the pitch with his back to goal or he's amongst the players applying the high press off the ball. I think it would suit him better if Birmingham played with a back 4 but it may not suit Birmingham who seem to be doing quite well results wise considering they were tipped for relegation before the start of the season.

He did end up playing as the sole DM for the final 5 to 10 minutes of the game.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I watched the full match and he did okay. But the way Birmingham setup by not having a build up play really doesn't suit him as far as getting on the ball is concerned, especially against teams like Swansea who do attempt to play their way through the defensive and middle thirds of the pitch.

He played the full 90 minutes and he ends up in positions high up the pitch with his back to goal or he's amongst the players applying the high press off the ball. I think it would suit him better if Birmingham played with a back 4 but it may not suit Birmingham who seem to be doing quite well results wise considering they were tipped for relegation before the start of the season.

He did end up playing as the sole DM for the final 5 to 10 minutes of the game.
Yeah I a think that’s a fair write up. I’ve actually seen a few Birmingham supports give him their motm online, even though I disagree with that assessment it shows that he’s made an impact

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Birmingham was also without suspended Krystian Bielik, who is to Birmingham what Casemiro is to us (and then some) from what I have seen. Didn’t see the game yesterday, but not surprising that their midfield struggled some.

Was actually thinking that he (Bielik) might be an interesting pick-up as a cheap back-up to Casemiro the other night when I saw Birmingham. Polish international who comes from Arsenal’s academy’s. Don’t know what people who watch Birmingham regularly about that, but just a thought that crossed my mind.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Increasingly popular in Birmingham it seems
Best thing about sending out all our players on loan is that we don't even have to come up with our own chants for them.

criticalanalysis

The ref coming in at 1:25 :lol: You could put benny hill music over that bit.

Mejbri looks physically good and assured in his movements. Really looking forward to him coming back next summer. He'll be a good prospect as a budding 8.

DevTheRed

Birmingham Vs Sunderland tonight.. good chance to see Hannibal and Amad up against each other.