Hannibal Mejbri - Manchester United Player

Marwood

You can't extrapolate like that though. For a start, he's a newbie coming in to play with far superior players to himself at this moment in time - he's not the big dog or the one expected to dictate for the whole team when going up - and he will have to defer to them and follow instructions they give and Bruno isn't shy in making that clear.

- He's got better options, better movement and more players who can effortlessly play on his wavelength in the 1st squad. He doesn't have to force the play or do anything particularly exuberant when those showing for the ball will make it so much for him to find them.

- Coming in as a newbie, not over-extending himself is vital as to keep getting minutes he has to show there's a net value to him being out there over someone else. Playing within himself somewhat until he has a bit of reputation and worth to the team is paramount and I'd think he has the intelligence to understand that.

Keeping his nerve and having the confidence to play and relay the ball without flubbing the basics would be the first order of business, I think, and as long as his nerves hold, he easily has the technique and awareness to make waves by just being a competent retainer of possession, which we're crying out for.

Don't know if you watched last night but that's not how he was losing the ball. It was just basic passes being sloppy.

It doesn't really matter, to be expected.

But it's not extrapolation to see a guy in U23's and expect something similar if he plays in the first XI. That's how you judge a player.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Don't know if you watched last night but that's not how he was losing the ball. It was just basic passes being sloppy.

It doesn't really matter, to be expected.

But it's not extrapolation to see a guy in U23's and expect something similar if he plays in the first XI. That's how you judge a player.
I just think the levels of concentration and focus are heightened when coming into the first team as well as performing in front of a crowd.

There's a casual ease and nonchalance to the play at those levels, especially when you are so much better than your peers and opposition. All of that is eradicated when taking the leap up.

I'd put basic passing issues down to lack of concentration in the moment rather than it being something that needs fixing as a cause for concern.

Smores

He's good enough for the first team bench, use him to rest Bruno in certain games. Unfortunately we'll use Lingard for that instead no doubt.

We didn't really integrate any new youth into the team last season (not to a proper level) so i hope we don't repeat that this season.

dabeast

He is Pedri level. Pedri, who Barcelona did not develop but bought, was put into the first team in the Barcelona midfield at 18 and after one season is now one of the most valuable players in the world. What happened to our ability to blood youngsters? We should be getting rid of Fred and old Matic and giving our homegrown talent the opportunity.

It is clear from this clip that he is better than going for Camavinga/Neves/Saul who will just clog up the progression route. He is a Scholes/Pogba/Modric (actually better in some ways) talent and he should be gracing our first team now. He has the fieriness to play as an uber-talented 6 but will probably end up an 8.

Mickson

Eh? That doesn't suddenly make them old players. As I said, only 2 teams had a younger team than us last season. Maybe, just maybe, there's a reason managers aren't throwing 17 and 18 year olds into the mix? You also seemed to have missed a name in your response, too. Doesn't fit?

Change the record. A team like Dortmund? You mean Dortmund. That's your one reference point. Because there's a reason the best sides aren't throwing kids onto the pitch because they've shown potential. Take off the blinkers and actually have a look at what we're doing compared to other clubs of a similar stature. You'll notice we stack up pretty favourably.
I'm not talking about a young squad, which is also debatable. Southampton had a younger average eleven than us in the last game, our average age was over 27. So we are not anything special at all. What I'm actually talking about is bravery, and the bravery to actually give a young player a chance instead of fringe players. But Ole would never do that. If it's a game of somewhat importance, he will put on Lingard before Hannibal or Elanga, he will put on James or Mata before Amad. You know it. I know it. Everyone knows it. That's what he does, and we know Ole by now. The problem with that though is 1) he says that Man United gives youth a chance, 2) the club brags about it, we are Man United, we are building youth with Ole and 3) I think he's a careful manager that doesn't like to take risks, and that is not a United manager for me. Another problem is that other managers clearly give youth a chance. We saw Southampton put on Livramento straight away. Southampton can't be compared to United you say, and that's true. City then? They played Palmer, Knight, and Edozie in the Community Shield against Leicester. Sandley, Doyle, Gomes, and Couto were on the bench. Palmer also played against Norwich, and Doyle was on the bench. Liverpool then? They started Elliott against Burnley. Chelsea? They started Chalobalah. In the last two seasons, Ole has never played a new youth player when it matters somewhat, not in an easy home game against Newcastle, not even in a League Cup game. You will see Pep put on Doyle, McAtee etc in a League Cup game, I guarantee, but you won't see Ole play Hannibal, I guarantee. Yet, we are the ones who stand up tall and say "we are playing youth!" but I think that's a bit of a myth. We really don't give anyone a chance when it really matters, which is really frustrating because Hannibal is a future star and James, Mata etc is really, really not that good... so it shouldn't be that hard. I think he is afraid of disturbing the team spirit. It's easier to leave out Hannibal than Mata, and I think he did that a lot with Greenwood last season, always subbed before Rashford, always subbed off first, if he didn't perform, James would be in before him (which he was for a period last season). All that makes Pep's decisions more impressive because of the competition in the squad.

Marwood

I just think the levels of concentration and focus are heightened when coming into the first team as well as performing in front of a crowd.

There's a casual ease and nonchalance to the play at those levels, especially when you are so much better than your peers and opposition. All of that is eradicated when taking the leap up.

I'd put basic passing issues down to lack of concentration in the moment rather than it being something that needs fixing as a cause for concern.
Yeah get what you mean, I'm sure playing in front of 70,000 sharpens the foucus. You'd think that would sort out him being overly casual at times.

But I do think he's the type who will lose possession quite a bit. He likes lots of touches and has the confidence to carry on doing that in the first XI. Inevitably he'll get caught out at the top level.

He definitely warrants a few appearances here and there.

Leeda would have been perfect had he been on the bench.

dabeast

I'm not talking about a young squad, which is also debatable. Southampton had a younger average eleven than us in the last game, our average age was over 27. So we are not anything special at all. What I'm actually talking about is bravery, and the bravery to actually give a young player a chance instead of fringe players. But Ole would never do that. If it's a game of somewhat importance, he will put on Lingard before Hannibal or Elanga, he will put on James or Mata before Amad. You know it. I know it. Everyone knows it. That's what he does, and we know Ole by now. The problem with that though is 1) he says that Man United gives youth a chance, 2) the club brags about it, we are Man United, we are building youth with Ole and 3) I think he's a careful manager that doesn't like to take risks, and that is not a United manager for me. Another problem is that other managers clearly give youth a chance. We saw Southampton put on Livramento straight away. Southampton can't be compared to United you say, and that's true. City then? They played Palmer, Knight, and Edozie in the Community Shield against Leicester. Sandley, Doyle, Gomes, and Couto were on the bench. Palmer also played against Norwich, and Doyle was on the bench. Liverpool then? They started Elliott against Burnley. Chelsea? They started Chalobalah. In the last two seasons, Ole has never played a new youth player when it matters somewhat, not in an easy home game against Newcastle, not even in a League Cup game. You will see Pep put on Doyle, McAtee etc in a League Cup game, I guarantee, but you won't see Ole play Hannibal, I guarantee. Yet, we are the ones who stand up tall and say "we are playing youth!" but I think that's a bit of a myth. We really don't give anyone a chance when it really matters, which is really frustrating because Hannibal is a future star and James, Mata etc is really, really not that good... so it shouldn't be that hard. I think he is afraid of disturbing the team spirit. It's easier to leave out Hannibal than Mata, and I think he did that a lot with Greenwood last season, always subbed before Rashford, always subbed off first, if he didn't perform, James would be in before him (which he was for a period last season). All that makes Pep's decisions more impressive because of the competition in the squad.
Completely agree. Hannibal should have already been a regular squad player and competing to start by now. Ole is way too conservative (see his persistence with James last season and ignoring of Amad) in reality - his image that he supports youth is wrong.

Marwood

What are you talking about mate?

Pep has brought through Foden. That's it. Ole has done the same with Greenwood. Ole also gave Williams a big chance.

I get you rebelling against the idea Ole is prolific at bringing through young players but you're going too far the other way now. Discrediting what he has done whilst exaggerating what Pep etc gets up to.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I wish people would save the Ole bashing for the mains. In this thread, It’s tedious to say the least

Mickson

What are you talking about mate?

Pep has brought through Foden. That's it. Ole has done the same with Greenwood. Ole also gave Williams a big chance.

I get you rebelling against the idea Ole is prolific at bringing through young players but you're going too far the other way now. Discrediting what he has done whilst exaggerating what Pep etc gets up to.
Yes, I maybe would point out that he did good with Greenwood, although I think Greenwood is a generational talent and that every manager would've done the same (same with Foden). He deserves credit for giving Williams the chance though, that was very good. I think everything would be OK if United wasn't so cocky about it. It's ok to not play youth, but don't brag about doing it then when you clearly prefer deadwood before great youth players.

Smores

I wish people would save the Ole bashing for the mains. In this thread, It’s tedious to say the least
Bit difficult to talk about a youth players selection into the first team without mentioning the managers record on integrating new youth. Think you're being a bit precious.

CM

If Mejbri isn't going to have a serious chance of breaking into the first team this season he needs a loan.

The opportunity should be there for him if we don't sign a midfielder, but another season of pissing it in the reserves does nothing for him. He needs to get used to men's football.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Bit difficult to talk about a youth players selection into the first team without mentioning the managers record on integrating new youth. Think you're being a bit precious.
Hardly precious darling! I’ve been a critic of Ole’s when I believe it’s warranted and there are enough threads on him in the mains.
Think people are just getting a bit triggered by one or two good performances here and there and using it as an excuse. Just focus on Hannibal’s ability etc.
Like I said, it’s tedious

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yeah get what you mean, I'm sure playing in front of 70,000 sharpens the foucus. You'd think that would sort out him being overly casual at times.

But I do think he's the type who will lose possession quite a bit. He likes lots of touches and has the confidence to carry on doing that in the first XI. Inevitably he'll get caught out at the top level.

He definitely warrants a few appearances here and there.

Leeda would have been perfect had he been on the bench.
There's a significant risk to that in the deeper areas of midfield, which even Pogba gets slaughtered for and obviously, we don't want, and can't afford, to have recklessness or lackadaisical actions and unforced errors there, but I reckon anything on a technical level, Mejbri has it about him to fix and iron out if his confidence carries over.

I think he'd become more expansive and daring over time once assured a bad game or two doesn't have him demoted, it's at that point I'd think he'd also probably give up looser passes in the attempt to achieve the bold, but that should be encouraged, or at least, nothing to get on his back for.

For me, temperament, nerve and the ability to execute fundamentals under the pressure and spotlight of PL grounds amongst PL midfields is what I'd want to see him come through. Moments of errant play, I'd worry less about as that sorts itself out, if not from the management, then from teammates who are having to make up for easily avoidable lax actions.

In the unders, nobody is on his back nor can really tell him anything when he's being that bit more sloppy than he should be; that's all out the window in the first team.

diarm

Henderson, Tuanzebe, Williams, McTominay, Lingard, Rashford and Greenwood.

How many other top sides have seen more minutes given to academy developed players? Developing players is not just about throwing them into senior football before they are ready. It is about developing them - knowing where they are on their development journey and knowing when the right moment is to expose them to a higher level.

We have a much better track record than most in knowing when and how to do this so it never fails to amuse me how many know nothings on keyboards think they know better.

When a player needs a loan, he gets a loan. See Henderson, Garner, Tuanzebe and Pellistri. When he's ready to feature in the first team he will feature in the first team - See Henderson, Rashford and Greenwood.

But when he needs to stay playing at underage level and develop his skills under top class underage coaches, we should trust the club that that's where he stays for the time being.

There is enough to criticise in the club, without needing to have a cut on how we develop young players.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Don’t think that’s the point of the comparison. Stick to the point and not go off on an agenda driven rant
It wasn't a rant and your reaction to my post is quite frankly ridiculous.

Mejbri's a different personality to Grealish so I'm not sure why people are using him as some sort of example. There's many examples of players who caused problems as youngsters and were far worse than Mejbri who went on-to be household names. Eric Cantona was well into his 20s and still hadn't learned.

dabeast

Yes, I maybe would point out that he did good with Greenwood, although I think Greenwood is a generational talent and that every manager would've done the same (same with Foden). He deserves credit for giving Williams the chance though, that was very good. I think everything would be OK if United wasn't so cocky about it. It's ok to not play youth, but don't brag about doing it then when you clearly prefer deadwood before great youth players.
Mejbri is also a "generational talent". Ole, an ex-striker, is just very conservative in midfield and defence and doesn't recognise skill in those positions. He loves Lindelof for some odd reason but should have played Axel much more last year at the back. This has created a serious problem in Axel's growth and for Utd, by extending his apprenticeship by at least 2 years. The same with Garner - what is the point of sending Garner back to Forest where he clearly killed it already last year? Ole loves Fred and Matic but should have played VdB, Mejbri much more last year. SAF, Ole's model, was too conservative in his later years and should have played Pogba and Ravel much earlier for longer.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He'd be ace in a 4-3-3. Love how he takes the ball under pressure and dribbles himself out of it, not scared to beat his man 1v1.

Smores

Henderson, Tuanzebe, Williams, McTominay, Lingard, Rashford and Greenwood.

How many other top sides have seen more minutes given to academy developed players? Developing players is not just about throwing them into senior football before they are ready. It is about developing them - knowing where they are on their development journey and knowing when the right moment is to expose them to a higher level.

We have a much better track record than most in knowing when and how to do this so it never fails to amuse me how many know nothings on keyboards think they know better.

When a player needs a loan, he gets a loan. See Henderson, Garner, Tuanzebe and Pellistri. When he's ready to feature in the first team he will feature in the first team - See Henderson, Rashford and Greenwood.

But when he needs to stay playing at underage level and develop his skills under top class underage coaches, we should trust the club that that's where he stays for the time being.

There is enough to criticise in the club, without needing to have a cut on how we develop young players.
You could have saved a lot of words there and just said the club does everything 100% correctly. It's fine not to have an opinion

dabeast

He'd be ace in a 4-3-3. Love how he takes the ball under pressure and dribbles himself out of it, not scared to beat his man 1v1.
He is perfect for a 4-3-3. Hopefully, with a specialist yet-to-be-named DM, he and VdB are the PP/BF replacements in the Carabao Cup this year. I will tear my eyes out if Ole continues to play his 4-2-3-1 with Matic/McFred stinking up the joint.

Bondi77

'Majestic Mejbri' at times.

The lad looks like a real class act and I think he has a Modric/Grealish vibe about him.
With all the talk about us doing more business in the transfer market I would be happy if this young man was given a real chance in the first team this year and Sancho can get near his Dortmund form and then I think we will be looking sweet.

diarm

You could have saved a lot of words there and just said the club does everything 100% correctly. It's fine not to have an opinion
Just as you saved yourself reading any words and just said whatever you felt like saying?

I've explicitly said there is plenty to criticise at the club. In the same post you quoted.

MDFC Manager

Him getting hacked down every game is surely a bigger problem than him retaliating once in a while?

In most cases he gets on with it, and doesn't hide from continuing to display his range of skills. I love to see it.

That focus comes with maturity. That sort of fire and determination is not something you can coach, it’s what made/makes players like Keane, Rooney and Bruno.

That sense of injustice that makes them angry and drives them on.
The best example is probably Ronaldo. He dived a fair amount but also got kicked to pulp quite often but took it in his stride, unlike mentally frail characters like Reyes (of Arsenal).

Smores

Just as you saved yourself reading any words and just said whatever you felt like saying?

I've explicitly said there is plenty to criticise at the club. In the same post you quoted.
Yeah it's reassuring to know we always loan, debut and hold back players in a perfect fashion so we need not have an opinion. It's quite incredible really.

laughtersassassin

Time to give him a go especially considering we have no Midfielders.

That said he'd also need a DM beside him so will have the same problems of all our Midfielders.

This club of ours isn't too bright sometimes

Last edited:

dabeast

The only argument to not play him now is that he needs to bulk up. How does Billy Gilmour get to play and start for Chelsea and for Scotland at the Euros and we send (much more talented) people like Hannibal to the reserves and on loan?

diarm

Yeah it's reassuring to know we always loan, debut and hold back players in a perfect fashion so we need not have an opinion. It's quite incredible really.
You're entitled to have whatever opinions you like. Just as I'm entitled to think your opinion (as someone with zero relevant experience developing young footballers) isn't worth as much as the opinions of those within a football club with a long, illustrious and recently fruitful history of developing young footballers. I don't think I've suggested anything different for you to get so precious about it?

Santos J

The only argument to not play him now is that he needs to bulk up. How does Billy Gilmour get to play and start for Chelsea and for Scotland at the Euros and we send (much more talented) people like Hannibal to the reserves and on loan?
Gilmour is literally out on loan

dabeast

He's also 2 years older
Agreed, though he is one-and-a-half years older and, while also slim, is much less physically robust than Mejbri (1.66m to 1.82m). Mejbri is the far bigger talent and Chelsea, with their reputation for being a loan factory who never play youth, managed to play Gilmour (was on the bench in the CL final).

At Utd we should be playing Mejbri every week. Now. He is ready.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Him getting hacked down every game is surely a bigger problem than him retaliating once in a while?

In most cases he gets on with it, and doesn't hide from continuing to display his range of skills. I love to see it.

The best example is probably Ronaldo. He dived a fair amount but also got kicked to pulp quite often but took it in his stride, unlike mentally frail characters like Reyes (of Arsenal).
I completely agree with yourself and @Pexbo

His fiery character is of a player who has a burning desire to win and influence the game. Yes it boils over from time to time which will need channelling but we can definitely use that to our advantage and it could well be seen as a help rather than a hinderance in the future.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don’t see how getting repeatedly sent off for retaliating and/or giving cheek to the referee constitutes “taking it in his stride”

Marwood

Agreed, though he is one-and-a-half years older and, while also slim, is much less physically robust than Mejbri (1.66m to 1.82m). Mejbri is the far bigger talent and Chelsea, with their reputation for being a loan factory who never play youth, managed to play Gilmour (was on the bench in the CL final).

At Utd we should be playing Mejbri every week. Now. He is ready
It's not possible to say that with such certainty.

At any one point there's only a handful of 18 year olds playing every week for the very biggest clubs. A handful at best. Just statistically alone that makes it highly unlikely Mejbri is ready for such a role. There aren't any in England. He'd be the only one.

Can I ask do you watch every U23 game?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Your idea of what 'youth' seems to be is someone that has zero first team minutes and is under the age of 18. That's simply not realistic.

I'm a bit baffled by those comparisons you've offered up there. In Oles first season, we played more academy graduates than any other team in the league. Tahith Chong, James Garner, Angel Gomes, Mason Greenwood , Axel Tuanzebe and Brandon Williams all played in the Premier League. Not the league cup or the charity shield. The league. We fielded more academy players in the PL than anyone else. Using the Charity Shield as proof of playing academy players is truly baffling.

So you mean like Greenwood? Who seems to be someone you're desperate to ignore.

Chabolah is 22 years old FFS :lol:. He's made over 100 first team appearances, yet he made his Chelsea debut this season. If we waited another 4 years before playing Diallo, would you hail Ole for trusting in youth? Absolute nonsense.

Harvey Elliott has played 50 times for Blackburn in the championship. Mejbri has played 1 first team game (for us), which is coincidentally the same amount of games as Palmer has played for City, despite being a year older.

Your comparisons do not stand up. Ironically out of all those teams you've mentioned, only Greenwood at United has been given serious game time.

Mickson

Your idea of what 'youth' seems to be is someone that has zero first team minutes and is under the age of 18. That's simply not realistic.

I'm a bit baffled by those comparisons you've offered up there. In Oles first season, we played more academy graduates than any other team in the league. Tahith Chong, James Garner, Angel Gomes, Mason Greenwood , Axel Tuanzebe and Brandon Williams all played in the Premier League. Not the league cup or the charity shield. The league. We fielded more academy players in the PL than anyone else. Using the Charity Shield as proof of playing academy players is truly baffling.

So you mean like Greenwood? Who seems to be someone you're desperate to ignore.

Chabolah is 22 years old FFS :lol:. He's made over 100 first team appearances, yet he made his Chelsea debut this season. If we waited another 4 years before playing Diallo, would you hail Ole for trusting in youth? Absolute nonsense.

Harvey Elliott has played 50 times for Blackburn in the championship. Mejbri has played 1 first team game (for us), which is coincidentally the same amount of games as Palmer has played for City, despite being a year older.

Your comparisons do not stand up. Ironically out of all those teams you've mentioned, only Greenwood at United has been given serious game time.
I don't care what Ole did in his first season, I care what he does now, and he doesn't play youth now in the last two seasons because he is scared of his job. But if we are going that road, you still bring up 24 years olds who have made their debut like seven years ago. Jesus. He had Andreas Pereira as first-choice and still managed to give Garner and Gomes limited playing time. That's Ole. I repeat, when in the last two seasons has he played a youth teamer before an established player in a game that matters? I gave examples of City, Liverpool and Chelsea, even Southampton, some teams that don't regularly give youth a chance has done it more. But when has Ole done it? He still plays Daniel James ffs.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I don't care what Ole did in his first season, I care what he does now, and he doesn't play youth now in the last two seasons because he is scared of his job. But if we are going that road, he had Andreas Pereira as first-choice and still managed to give Garner and Gomes limited playing time. That's Ole. I repeat, when in the last two seasons has he played a youth teamer before an established player in a game that matters? I gave examples of City, Liverpool and Chelsea, even Southampton, some teams that don't regularly give youth a chance has done it more. But when has Ole done it? He still plays Daniel James ffs.
Clearly. You seem to ignore anything that doesn't fit into your increasingly shrinking frame of reference.

Go down that road? Again, you mean the road where he played more academy players than any other team in the Premier League?

He's done nothing different to any other big team, and the 'examples' you offered up proves that. We have a young team already. Other sides have more room to implement youth into their side and they still haven't done it. You think there might be a reason for this?

No you didn't. :lol: Your examples are terrible. You're using a 22 year old making his debut as an example ffs, but seem adamant to ignore the existence of Greenwood. The 3 examples you've given have a grand total of 3 combined first team appearances. Diallo scored in a Europa League game last season against AC Milan. That's bigger than anything any other the examples have done .