Television Hannibal - The "how much milage can we get out of this character" TV Series

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I wonder if @SteveJ will ever return? Not fussed either way really.

Oh but is this show worth a go? Is Lecter allowed to be villainous/monstrous, or does it do that shitty Dexter thing of making his psychopathic behaviour a tool for Hollywood liberal revenge fantasy.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Oh but is this show worth a go? Is Lecter allowed to be villainous/monstrous, or does it do that shitty Dexter thing of making his psychopathic behaviour a tool for Hollywood liberal revenge fantasy.
Been a few years since I watched the first two seasons but I remember it being really good, and MM made for a fantastic Hannibal. Never got to Season 3 for some reason so tempted to start from the beginning again.

AaronRedDevil

This show is brilliant. Pure quality. Mads is Almost as good Hopkins. Almost.

Mike Smalling

Watched a couple of seasons and didn't really like it. It was a bit too stylistic for my taste, and the main character is overly tortured to the point of it being kind of annoying. Also, you seriously have to suspend your disbelief for some of the story lines.

Just my two cents - seems like some people loved it.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Was season 3 good?
Probably the weakest, for me, largely due to the laboured and slightly pointless first half. It felt like 2 very different seasons crammed together. The 2nd half is peak-Hannibal though, so it's worth slogging through the first few episodes.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Ok sounds good cheers.

So do they go out of their way to make Hannibal palatable for the audience, Or do they present his actions as transgressive and horrible?

Also I do miss @SteveJ, I was just trying to be tough.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Probably the weakest, for me, largely due to the laboured and slightly pointless first half. It felt like 2 very different seasons crammed together. The 2nd half is peak-Hannibal though, so it's worth slogging through the first few episodes.
Ok, might go back to it!

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Just finished it a couple of weeks back. Absolutely loved it to bits. Season 3 felt like it dragged a bit but I found myself comparing it to one of the films which put me off a lot, the second half of it was really good. I know this might sound like a dangerous thing to say but I feel that the portrayals in the show are better than the movies. Lecter and Graham are so different from the movie versions (don't know about books) that they should be treated like completely new characters.

The only problem with the show is that it makes you really hungry.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Ok sounds good cheers.

So do they go out of their way to make Hannibal palatable for the audience, Or do they present his actions as transgressive and horrible?

Also I do miss @SteveJ, I was just trying to be tough.
Nothing about the show is palatable. Hannibal is portrayed as an absolute psycho who looks like he's coming to you for a nice and relaxing hug before ripping your throat out with his teeth. It's unsettling listening to Mads' calm and composed voice when you know what his character has secretly done.

caid

I gave up half way through season 3 after loving the first 2 seasons. Seems i should go back.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Nothing about the show is palatable. Hannibal is portrayed as an absolute psycho who looks like he's coming to you for a nice and relaxing hug before ripping your throat out with his teeth. It's unsettling listening to Mads' calm and composed voice when you know what his character has secretly done.
Sounds good. I'll give it a try.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Season 2 is the best of the three and also the best single season of anything Fuller has done.

As I remember it the first part of season 3 is slower, heavily stylised and rather vague (for reasons that make sense within the context of the season) before going back to "normal" in the second half.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Aye I remember season 3 as having both the best and worst of the show's entire run. First half had me fearing it'd disappeared up it's own arse but the second half was truly phenomenal.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I gave up half way through season 3 after loving the first 2 seasons. Seems i should go back.
Yeah those first few episodes of season three are terrible, it does pick back up again and ends on a really high note.

I really hope Netflix decide to bring it back.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Ludicrous show with absurd plot contrivances and too many story elements pulling in too many directions.

But guess what? despite all this, it's Hella good. It has a terrific sense of the macabre and doesn't couch the depravity in a juvenile morality (Dexter). It has too many characters but none feel out of place. The show smartly takes a semi-detached observational approach to the characters, rather than an overly-empathetic one, which allows Lector's character to work both sides of the aisle. It doesn't get bogged down in clinicalese, and crucially the show makers seem self aware enough to understand the schlocky implications of the material.

It isn't perfect and the routine procedural element is weak, but the good stuff is done brilliantly and there is a delicate balance to the tone. It's not the usual idiot fodder TV. I'll check season 2.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Ludicrous show with absurd plot contrivances and too many story elements pulling in too many directions.

But guess what? despite all this, it's Hella good. It has a terrific sense of the macabre and doesn't couch the depravity in a juvenile morality (Dexter). It has too many characters but none feel out of place. The show smartly takes a semi-detached observational approach to the characters, rather than an overly-empathetic one, which allows Lector's character to work both sides of the aisle. It doesn't get bogged down in clinicalese, and crucially the show makers seem self aware enough to understand the schlocky implications of the material.

It isn't perfect and the routine procedural element is weak, but the good stuff is done brilliantly and there is a delicate balance to the tone. It's not the usual idiot fodder TV. I'll check season 2.
Very nice and well worded thingmy with using good words. Season 2 is brilliant.