Television Hannibal - The "how much milage can we get out of this character" TV Series

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Even by this shows standards that last episode was ridiculous.
Have they just killed off
Chilton
too considering that he was in Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs?

I'm guessing no.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Even by this shows standards that last episode was ridiculous.
Have they just killed off
Chilton
too considering that he was in Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs?

I'm guessing no.
A bullet through the cheekbone would be a clear indication of his death. I do agree that the last episode was absolutely ridiculous in terms of Hannibal being able to toy with everyone. They have build him up as this incredibly intelligent force that it's gonna sadly take something equally ridiculous to bring him down.
The whole setting up Chilton was way OTT. It's one thing to steer away from the books but ffs this is a complete 180°

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I think season 2 has been really good so far.

When did people start wanting their entertainment to be so serious and realistic?

It's better than the likes of Walking Dead.

kouroux

I think season 2 has been really good so far.

When did people start wanting their entertainment to be so serious and realistic?

It's better than the likes of Walking Dead.
Not necessarily serious and realistic but sometimes they go OTT with the murders (the guy who has flowers and trees growing inside him for instance) and with Hannibal's manipulation. The Miriam Lass re-introduction, the set up of Chilton were too much to me. Before that I'd been enjoying the show.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Not necessarily serious and realistic but sometimes they go OTT with the murders (the guy who has flowers and trees growing inside him for instance) and with Hannibal's manipulation. The Miriam Lass re-introduction, the set up of Chilton were too much to me. Before that I'd been enjoying the show.
Yeah same. It's nothing to do with realism, it's just a point where your suspension of disbelief crosses the line into eye rolling.

They didn't need to reintroduce Miriam Lass and they didn't need to go with the 'frame another character' plot line since we'd only just had it with Will.

It also makes the stupid characters (Graham, Bloom) look even more stupid. Who could honestly believe that chicken shit Chilton could be the Chesapeake Ripper?

Can't wait till he starts killing again (probably the next episode) and seeing what ways they manage to convince themselves that it's "definitely not Hannibal" all over again.

kouroux

Yeah same. It's nothing to do with realism, it's just a point where your suspension of disbelief crosses the line into eye rolling.

They didn't need to reintroduce Miriam Lass and they didn't need to go with the 'frame another character' plot line since we'd only just had it with Will.

It also makes the stupid characters (Graham, Bloom) look even more stupid. Who could honestly believe that chicken shit Chilton could be the Chesapeake Ripper?

Can't wait till he starts killing again (probably the next episode) and seeing what ways they manage to convince themselves that it's "definitely not Hannibal" all over again.
Did you mean Crawford or Will Graham (cause Will is sure that Hannibal is indeed behind everything) ? Alana Bloom is a pointless character IMHO, I would have preferred her to be killed instead of Beverly Katz (who was intelligent and useful) even if it meant changing the scenario a little. I'm glad the Gideon characer is gone, that poser deserved to die.Mads is still outstanding as Hannibal.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
It had a lot going on and wasn't as smoothly done as the rest of the season, but I was fine with the developments. The whole point with the Ripper is he's manipulative to the nth degree, so it being Chilton isn't that ridiculous from the point of view of the investigators.

Fuller dropped a big hint in his weekly interview with The AV Club that Chilton isn't dead. Dagnabbit, isn't anyone around here dead anymore

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
WTF are they doing, turning clever characters (in the novels) like Crawford & Boom into fools? What a waste of Harris' brilliant writing.

OneUnited24

I've really enjoyed this season, better since they removed the "killer of the week" motive and started to look at the central characters more. I just really hope it gets renewed for a season 3

Loublaze

ATLien
I've really enjoyed this season, better since they removed the "killer of the week" motive and started to look at the central characters more. I just really hope it gets renewed for a season 3
Yes it has been renewed already. Furthermore, the show will simply be picked up by another network (like FX) or pitched to Netflix or Amazon instant if NBC cancels. Byran Fuller (show creator) has confirmed this.

Cantonarightboot

Reeeeeeeeaaaly couldn't get into this series at all!!! I couldn't dislike the guy who plays Hannibal anymore if I tried, worst portrayal of Hannibal I could imagine!!

Watched about 6 or 7 episodes and completely failed for me!!

Cantonarightboot

That's odd. I think most people have kept watching purely because of him.

You're on your own there.
Maybe,

It'd help if I could understand him, mumbles a lot and his accent is weird... Personally, I don't know how anyone can sit through watching Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal and then try believe this guy can portray him... Really poor casting for me!

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Ive only seen the first ep of season 2 so far

But I enjoy it a lot. Cant agree with above, for me the guy who plays Hannibal is by far the best part of the show

I love it when he is cooking and talks about food

Cantonarightboot

Ive only seen the first ep of season 2 so far

But I enjoy it a lot. Cant agree with above, for me the guy who plays Hannibal is by far the best part of the show

I love it when he is cooking and talks about food

He is indeed the best part of the show...thats sadly down to the fact the rest of the show is utter $hite!!!

Sorry lads, just doesn't click with me.... annoyed tbh because I love the movies, but this just hasn't done it for me at all!

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
That last episode would've been about 10 minutes long if they'd have played it at normal speed.

Quite enjoyed it even if it felt a bit rushed.

What actually was it that turned Jack/Alana into 100% belief of Hannibals guilt after being so sceptical in the face of much greater evidence throughout the series?

Ibi Dreams

Good question, I'm really not sure either and I wondered the same thing. My best guess is that they ultimately realised that they trusted and believed in Will, who knew without a doubt that Hannibal was a killer. Perhaps also something to do with Freddie - she hated Will and wanted him locked up, yet later she spoke to Alana about her suspicions regarding Hannibal and ended up being a part of the trap to catch him.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Just saw the finale, stunning. Love it.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
That last episode would've been about 10 minutes long if they'd have played it at normal speed.

What actually was it that turned Jack/Alana into 100% belief of Hannibals guilt after being so sceptical in the face of much greater evidence throughout the series?
Probably that Will retold them their conversations? But it wasn't showed correctly, it was a very inconvenient plot twist.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Yeah the whole thing was a bit odd. The way they showed Jack turning up and attacking Hannibal at the start of the season set up something that never really happened.

You'd have thought that he had some major evidence on him or that Hannibal had killed someone close to him but no.

And I'd bet cash money that all 3 of Will, Jack and Alana survive that bloodbath which again would be a bit of a cop out.

Baxter

It's absolutely brilliant and Mads Mikkelsen is very good. I got through both the first and second season in about a week and a half after my lectures finished and I can't wait for more :lol:

kouroux

I'm honestly asking the same question to myself now. I think Alana was convinced by Jack Crawford and even Freddie Lounds but what convinced Jack mmm ?

Suli

"Do you get parents evening at uni?"
Do I have to watch season 1 to understand season 2? Or is it better to just watch it from the start anyway?