Television Hannibal - The "how much milage can we get out of this character" TV Series

Moonwalker

Oh don't mind my negativity.

I'm not very fond of TV shows in general. I think there are inherent flaws in the format itself, that make it nigh on impossible to do right by even great source material like this.

Not for a sustained period of time, unless it's comedy.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That I definitely agree with, but for the TV channels it's how they milk their product sadly.The more episodes often leads to decrease in quality of the story telling.

Moonwalker

That I definitely agree with, but for the TV channels it's how they milk their product sadly.The more episodes often leads to decrease in quality of the story telling.
Yes, you get different writers affecting to please everybody, change of tone, change of genre sometimes even, actors rescheduling because of other work etc.

The longer it goes on, the harder it gets to maintain integrity.

Comedy can get away with that, whereas anything with a modicum of seriousness will suffer.

hungrywing

I thought Fiennes was fatuous as Dolarhyde.

As far as movie adaptations go, both films were reasonably accurate in terms of detail, if not tone.

It's just that one(Red Dragon) was needless, though perhaps not pointless. The point of it was to cash in on the popularity of Hopkins' Lecter, before he was too old to be used in the franchise.

I suppose it all worked out for Dino.
I have a feeling you already know this, but for any other interested posters: the only reason Hannibal Rising exists is that De Laurentis, after years of cajoling and coaxing to no avail, flat out told Harris that he would make the movie without him or not.

SteveJ, I have some info regarding Hannibal that I'll PM you if you're interested.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Sure, mate, that'd be great. :)

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Watched the pilot, quite enjoyed it though it seemed a bit disjointed at times. The guy playing Will is actually very good, and as I said in the other thread, I feel Mads Mikkelsen is a superb choice for Hannibal. No one's gonna forget Hopkins, but he feels right for the part.

However, my first thought at the end of the episode was 'what a shame this isn't produced by HBO', I feel that on that channel or AMC, they probably would have done, in the long run, something superb with the material. Though this is judging NBC before I've seen at least a whole season, so I should at least wait a few more weeks.

Anyway, it's gripped me enough that I'll be watching the next ones.

SteveJ

Scout
I'm finding it difficult to get over the books, in regard to this new series; the trailer alone has so much 'wrong' with it when you've read the novels. However, most people assure me that the series is good. Am I being unreasonable in expecting the tv show to keep faith with all the various elements (and relationships) of the books? I think so...

Moonwalker

Am I being unreasonable in expecting the tv show to keep faith with all the various elements (and relationships) of the books?
Yes. The most you should expect is for it to 'capture the spirit of the books'.

The favorite euphemism of a screenwriter.

Moonwalker

We can look forward to brand new relationships though. Will is single, and Alan Bloom morphed into Juliana Cox. I can't wait for her to 'analyse' him.

The_Red_Hope

The
farmer's mushroomed bodies
was definitely one of the weirdest/coolest things I've seen on the telly of late. Ugggh.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I think that could be the episode that 'jumped the shark'...as the kids say now.

Still enjoying it though. The two leads are driving it along.

Quinton Fortune

Well this is proving to be a great TV show. Apparently episode 4 has been pulled in the US because its got an extremely sinister plot to it. Will still air overseas though

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Well this is proving to be a great TV show. Apparently episode 4 has been pulled in the US because its got an extremely sinister plot to it. Will still air overseas though
Yeah the previews at the end of episode 3 for next week's episodes looked pretty brutal, I'm (pleasantly) surprised so far, I was afraid that with it being on NBC it would be really shy with the gore. So far no complaints on that front!

I'm really enjoying the fact Hannibal is, for the time being, a supporting character but you can really sense his presence even when he's not really doing or saying anything in a scene. The way he observes everyone, and especially Will, is pretty frightening, Mikkelsen is really a great choice. And I must say I'm impressed with Hugh Dancy's performance so far, he's very good.

SteveJ

Scout
I tried to watch it online but got this message:

'This program is not available in your smelly country of Europe. So piss off.'

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Steve, There is a browser add on called Hola unblocker which will help, although make sure you have antivirus/spyware detection etc as I cant vouch for it that much. I use it for Netflix USA and it works a treat.

SteveJ

Scout
Cheers, Sparkz mate. :)

kouroux

From a visual aspect, this show is one of the best I've ever watched.Really liking how the relationship between the characters is developing.Hannibal is played brilliantly by Mads

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
It's a very good show, the three main leads are excellent. It's at its weakest with the procedural stuff and strongest when it's just two of the characters in a room.

The scene between Fishburne and his wife in Lecter's office is superbly done.

kouroux

Great episode the last one.The story doesn't copy the novel's and movie's to the last detail but it's still done in a great way.I have completely changed my opinion regarding Fishburn as Crawford, he's perfect for that role

kouroux

Same thing for me too Archie.I cringed a little but in a terrified way.I'll keep saying it again, the way this show is filmed, the visual aspect is stunning.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Agreed. I really enjoyed the last episode, best one for me so far.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
This is becoming a must watch for me now. Not up there with great ones but that's because we know where it's leading before it even started and everything is foreplay til then. Taking it further than 2 seasons would be a mistake. It does have a bit of the baddy of the week vibe at times but I'm finding all the characters so convincing and interesting it's brilliant.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Is this the same series that's just starting (started?) on Living?

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Only two episodes in but I this show has a lot of potential. I think the choice for Lector is excellent.

Also, as previously mentioned the mushroom people were disgusting!

kouroux

That Hannibal fecker makes me hungry with all of his cooking but then again it probably is human meat :nervous:
A bit of a filler episode this last one but still I enjoyed watching it

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I enjoyed that one actually, apart from the odd way it sometimes cuts into another scene leaving you wondering what time has elapsed in between. It's a bit disjointed in that respect and I'm not entirely sure it's deliberate.

But you're right. The reason I probably got off on that one is because I do love a good cookery show.

I thought Izzard was ridiculous in the episode before and was basically just doing a camp Anthony Hopkins impersonation.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Is this the same series that's just starting (started?) on Living?
I guess so. Just saw the first ep on catch-up earlier. Kind of like the fecked up juxtaposition of having Hannibal helping the police. Plenty of quirky characters and held my interest. Would be curious to know how many eps and series have been made or planned already.