Television Hannibal - The "how much milage can we get out of this character" TV Series

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Interesting article about Thomas Harris' fascinating character Will Graham, covering portrayals by Petersen, Norton and Dancy:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...ght-someone-very-interesting-with-him/274538/

It's spot on about Dancy's interpretation, he's chewing up the scenery as much as Hopkins was in Silence of the Lambs. It's especially grating because Mikkelsen is so wonderfully understated. It's all very deliberate, so I don't know if Fuller thinks the only way to get all the turmoil across is to have Will spend half of each episode chewing his own face off. Phrasing!

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
The finale was a bit meh ..

It was a bit meh but overall a good season. It has it's problem but it has enough strong performances to continue to be interesting. I think the break should allow them to smooth over the issues they've got and come back with a better second season. Mikkelsen is the man. Larry Fishburne too. Hugh Dancy not so much.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The episode before the finale was very good for me Archie.Specially as we were watching and understanding Hannibal's scapegoating plan in progress. I felt like the finale missed something to "wow" me, it's hard to put it into words. Special mention to Mikkelsen who has made this role to perfection, always between liking him and feeling disgusted by his evil.

Ivor Ballokov

Watched this over the last week or so and really enjoyed it. It looks brilliant, the scenes that show Will's wandering state of mind are very nicely done and some of the crime scenes are brutal.

It definitely suffers when it shows the violence rather than the aftermath and any scene with Eddie Izzard is pretty terrible.

Hugh Dancy is adequate but not amazing but I'm really liking Mads Mikkelsen, who has fantastic understated presence, and Gillian Anderson is intriguing as his therapist.

Bryan Fuller has also said (I can't seem to see a spoiler tab anymore)

"In the first season we have this weird bromance between Will and Hannibal, season two is the nasty break up and the third season would have a fugitive angle to it, the fourth season would be 'Red Dragon,' the fifth season would be in the realm of 'Silence Of The Lambs,' the sixth season would be 'Hannibal.'"
So hopefully with a decent structure to work around and a definitive end date we will get a good quality and complete series. Although NBC will probably cancel it.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I'm surprised Hugh Dancy is getting criticized in the last few posts, I'm up to episode 10 or 11 and think he's been very good so far, and have been pleasantly surprised, as I didn't know him beforehand; as soon as I saw Mikkelsen's name on the project, I knew he'd be perfect and so far have enjoyed his performance as Hannibal immensely, but I think Dancy is doing very well with the part of Will. However, I'm not a fan of Fishburne who is just doing what he always does, being Fisburney. He's adequate for that part though, I can't really fault him.

Looking forward to watching the final episodes.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Finale wasn't as great as I expected it to be, but overall a good season and I'm glad it's been renewed. I thought the actors portraying Will and Hannibal were very good in their roles.

Member 39557

I've just started watching this after it had been on my sky planner for ages. I'm about 4 episodes in and it's reasonably good so far. The Will Graham character's Socially awkward Aspergers schtick seems a bit similar to Johnny Lee Miller's portrayal of Sherlock in Elementary. Obviously without the troubling serial killer visions etc!

Quite enjoyable so far and I think I'll stick with it.

kouroux

I've just started watching this after it had been on my sky planner for ages. I'm about 4 episodes in and it's reasonably good so far. The Will Graham character's Socially awkward Aspergers schtick seems a bit similar to Johnny Lee Miller's portrayal of Sherlock in Elementary. Obviously without the troubling serial killer visions etc!

Quite enjoyable so far and I think I'll stick with it.
Similar but Holmes in Elementary genuinely cracks me up. It's off topic but this show (Elementary) isn't talked about enough, it's really good.

Member 39557

Similar but Holmes in Elementary genuinely cracks me up. It's off topic but this show (Elementary) isn't talked about enough, it's really good.
Start a thread. I wasn't sure on it at first, but I really enjoyed it in the end. Especially the interesting take on Moriarty.

Ivor Ballokov

Wait, what? Does this mean they intend to film Red Dragon, Silence & Hannibal as 13 episode long series? Complete with Starling et al?
I think that is exactly what he's saying. I've never read any of the books but doesn't season 1 of this follow the story in Red Dragon?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The first episode follows the backstory of Red Dragon. But the backstory isn't a big part of the book. It's merely mentioned occasionally. Hannibal is already captured and been inside for 3 years when Red Dragon begins. Red Dragon is pretty much the same as Silence of The Lambs in structure. Cop goes to Lector for help catching a crazy killer. Which is pretty much the same as every episode of this. To stretch it to a whole series they'd need to spread it out very sparsely over the 13 episodes while your usual monster of the week played out.

And then of course, everyone would know how it ended anyway.

Member 39557

I finally finished season 1. I was a bit disappointed by the finale,
due to thinking Will Graham was supposed to capture Lector, not get put behind bars by him.
That said, it was still good enough to keep my interest and I'll be watching season 2.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I thought the first season was good anyway.

Saying that.. sometimes I think high reviews reflect how the media consider the show to be perceived by the public. Once they know it was a hit with the people then they're more prepared to give higher scores and less forgiving of a shows faults.

Season 2s reviews of Homeland were incredible, better than season 1 by some way but I think we all know which season was better.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Season 1 I didn't love, but I did very much "skim" it, while doing other things....

Is it worth re-watching? Based on the hype for the second series..

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
I thought the first season was good anyway.

Saying that.. sometimes I think high reviews reflect how the media consider the show to be perceived by the public. Once they know it was a hit with the people then they're more prepared to give higher scores and less forgiving of a shows faults.

Season 2s reviews of Homeland were incredible, better than season 1 by some way but I think we all know which season was better.
The problem with TV reviews is they're made based on the first few episodes, not a full season. In the case of Homeland, the first eps of season two were excellent, it just went a bit shit midway through. Anyway, I really like Hannibal, it just had a few silly elements that needed smoothing out.

kouroux

I honestly hope Crawford realizing who Lecter truly is won't be in the last episode of the season cause that would be tedious to watch. Gotta love the imagination they have for their serial killers in these shows, the things they do .... Lecter shoving that ear down Graham's throat made me feel uncomfortable.

JohnDoe

I still prefer Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs, his screen presence in that film is second to none (much thanks to Demme's brilliant direction and the setup of the character), but Mikkelsen is very good. Dancy isn't up to the task in my opinion, and is the weakest link of the show, though he doesn't make it unwatchable. The eerie background music is overused and loses its impact after a while, and some of the crime scenes and serial killers are laughably over the top (like that totem).

I do like the fact that they haven't held back on brutality though, and the cinematography and photography are top-notch. The first season showed potential of a great series, hopefully the second will get there.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I've just accepted it for what it is and am quite enjoying the second season now but for the love of God will they just kill off Eddie Izzard already?

He's shit.

bucky

I've just accepted it for what it is and am quite enjoying the second season now but for the love of God will they just kill off Eddie Izzard already?

He's shit.
Yeah, it's style over substance, but still has something to offer.