Hargreaves out for the start of the season....

Devil may care

It's a real shame for him because I think he was a decent midfielder with a great engine and he seems like a decent guy, however from the clubs perspective they have done all they can for him and with a 25 man squad cap it would be insane to name a player who you have no idea when or if he'll play again.

Dyslexic Untied

Extremely disappointing, but again people are acting like it is his fault.

Unlucky sod, sure it's worse for him than for us.

Rahul

Well the warning signs were there. An article last year.

Manchester United declined to comment on Hargreaves' current level of fitness, but it is believed that his injury is so delicate it can only be monitored on a day-to-day basis and stepping up the intensity of his rehabilitation programme could have potentially disastrous ramifications.

If the England international suffers a recurrence of the original problem he would face another lengthy absence.

Hargreaves aims to manage the injury as slowly as necessary before making a return when he is pain free but he will not return if he is feeling any level of discomfort.

If Hargreaves is pain free he is likely to be able to play at the top level for at least four or five more years but, if not, a premature end is likely.

His condition, patellar tendinitis, can be described as inflammation of the tendon that attaches the quadriceps (thigh muscle) to the tibia (shin bone).

It can be caused by a number of factors, including a rapid increase in the frequency of training, sudden increase in the intensity of training, transition from one training method to another, genetic abnormalities of the knee joint and poor base strength of the quadriceps.
BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | M | Man Utd | Hargreaves faces career concerns

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
:lol:

I can't believe anyone actually thought he'd play a part for us ever again.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Who else has done that? Rio's our highest earner and he's been a sick note in the last few seasons, did he ever give up his wages for the duration of his injury?
Rio hasn't been away for two whole years on wages.

That said I don't think there's a reason he should volunteer to do it.

The Flying Potato

:lol:

Was it a bet or something? You might as well have got Messi on the back, he was about as likely to play for us next season.
Nope haha, he's been my favourite player since he joined. My favourites tend to be the sorts who always give their all and always get stuck in hence my previous names on shirts being Heinze (in his first season) and Smith

I'd give anyhting for Hargs to get back to full fitness :(

Carl

On the plus side, at least Fergie has stopped pretending. He's finally saying "I don't know..." when giving a time when he'll be back.

Carl

To be fair if Ben Hibbs is reporting it on his twitter that probably means that he he's just been appointed captain and is in line to break the record amount of appearances made in a single season for Manchester United.
Fergie has also confirmed it.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Nope haha, he's been my favourite player since he joined. My favourites tend to be the sorts who always give their all and always get stuck in hence my previous names on shirts being Heinze (in his first season) and Smith

I'd give anyhting for Hargs to get back to full fitness :(
If you want a player who loves us and gives us everything but actually plays, you should have got Park! Is it too late for you to change it?

Next time get Park, actually I quite want Park to still play for us, get Berbatov! You'd be loved for it.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Any point even registering him? With the 25 man limit we can't afford to use up our slots on someone who may never be fit again. I know its harsh but I am very disappointed with this news. Was really looking forward to seeing him again.

Minkaro

Give him until January. If he's not back by then, trick somebody into buying him.

This is like a long and painful goodbye.

I always had hope for Hargreaves but now it's getting to the point where it doesnt make business or footballing sense. When he eventually returns I don't expect him to be available for more than a few games throughout the season. That's simply not good enough for a member of our first team. I wouldn't be surprised if this is officially his last season as a Man Utd player.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
From a pragmatic point of view, we have to give up on Hargreaves. We need a combative midfielder that Hargreaves should be, and we can't afford to go into another season hoping that he may be fit at some point to maybe play a game at some point over the next few seasons.

Doogie

To be fair if Ben Hibbs is reporting it on his twitter that probably means that he he's just been appointed captain and is in line to break the record amount of appearances made in a single season for Manchester United.
tbf that's not true. He often posts his opinions and they can be far from the reality, but when it comes to these matters he's almost never wrong.

Amir

From a pragmatic point of view, we have to give up on Hargreaves. We need a combative midfielder that Hargreaves should be, and we can't afford to go into another season hoping that he may be fit at some point to maybe play a game at some point over the next few seasons.
We certainly shouldn't be waiting for Hargreaves anymore. No football club, no sports club, can wait for a player who is set to complete 24 months of almost complete absence (Oh yeah, those 30 seconds at Sunderland). Thing is, I'm not sure we need a combative midfielder. Not a first choice one, anyway. We've got Fletcher.

Shimo

Unfortunate news. Am sure there may be one or two feeling really smug about being right but, bad news for United. Also makes sense maybe why SAF might be in the market for another CM with Ando not available till end of Sept at the earliest as well.

That leaves Carrick/Fletcher/Gibson/Scholes.

For his sake I hope even if it means retirement that the end result is doesn't have to live in pain for the rest of his life. After all he did try play through it and have all kinds of injects etc to be available for us that supposedly worsened the problem. Lets not lose site of that and start calling for him to be flogged like a piece of merchandise.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
The ridiculous thing is that Ferguson had to put his foot down to stop him going to the WC. I'm not blaming Hargreaves for this fiasco but I'd like to have a few words with the incompetent doctor that passed his medical.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
We certainly shouldn't be waiting for Hargreaves anymore. No football club, no sports club, can wait for a player who is set to complete 24 months of almost complete absence (Oh yeah, those 30 seconds at Sunderland). Thing is, I'm not sure we need a combative midfielder. Not a first choice one, anyway. We've got Fletcher.
but we ONLY have fletcher to fulfill that role consistently. We need someone to share that burden and workload with him.

Main reason I was hoping we would sign Yaya Toure this summer (and, unrelated, David Silva.... damn man city). We need more bite in midfield and it is clear Hargreaves is not going to provide it.

Amir

Perhaps Gibson can do that, mayber that's the idea behind us trying to turn Anderson into, err, something. I just can't see us bringing in that type of player, unless he can play several positions like Hargreaves.

oleonenumber20

Very poor piece of business. im very disappointed.

He is our Woodgate
how much did Woodgate cost?

This is sad news but I said when we bought him I'd rather have Senna for 6 million, yes he's an older player but at least we would have got value for money.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I can tell you're a big fan of Ben Hibbs...

In fairness if it was reported on Ben Hibbs twitter that probably means that the lads been released on a free.
In fairness if its Hibbs that said it it probably means that not only will he play, but he'll be captain too.
In fairness if Ben hibbs says that then it probably means that he's been sold to Atheltico Bilbao for 7 million.
In fairness if it was reported on Ben Hibbs Twitter not only does it mean his knee is fine, it means that he'll start against Villa and will be going to Moldova in two weeks for a new haircut.
In fairness if Ben Hibbs reported it on Twitter it probably means that not only is he out of his cast, but he's wanking freely with that hand.
Given that it's Ben Hibbs this can only mean that not only will he play against Chelsea and Bayern, he'll get 7 goals across the two games.
So given that its Ben Hibbs reporting that, he's not only going to start, he'll also captain the side and net a hat trick.
Ben Hibbs strikes again.

Thanks for quality reporting as always Ben - it's comforting to know that the exact opposite of what you say will always happen.
Ben Hibbs is reporting that we've made an offer?

If that's the case then what's really happened is they've set an asking price of five million and we've said that it's too much.
:p

Devil_forever

how much did Woodgate cost?

This is sad news but I said when we bought him I'd rather have Senna for 6 million, yes he's an older player but at least we would have got value for money.
I also wanted Senna but a few good performances in the world cup and all of a sudden Hargreaves was the dog's bollocks on this place. He's not had many good matches in the center for us either, hence SAF's shunted him out wide when he was fit.

Devil_forever

but we ONLY have fletcher to fulfill that role consistently. We need someone to share that burden and workload with him.

Main reason I was hoping we would sign Yaya Toure this summer (and, unrelated, David Silva.... damn man city). We need more bite in midfield and it is clear Hargreaves is not going to provide it.
Carrick can play the deeper role too. We've coped without him for two seasons, I don't see why it's such a big deal now.

thebelfastboy

i reckon he would have more chance of playing again for united if they amputated both of his legs and gave him a pair of prosthetic limbs: