Harry Amass | Signs professional contract

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Really ? Then that statement is applicable for all of you as well. A club who is known for its academy , who has won PL with kids, who always had an academy graduate in the squad, who always takes pride in promoting youngsters- how is it a meme by giving a highly rated kid a spot in MD squad?

Other scenario is, you guys have no idea what happened pre 2013. In that case, I apologize.
Not talking about including him into the squad, that’s perfectly reasonable.
people are specifically talking about throwing a player who just turned 17 into one of the leagues biggest fixtures

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Actually, after I typed that I thought of Norman Whiteside. Fairly sure he played at 17 too.
That’s like 40 years ago, 17 year olds were built different then. He’d probably had a full time job as a bricky for 4 years, a wife, house, 2 dogs and a cat by then.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That’s like 40 years ago, 17 year olds were built different then. He’d probably had a full time job as a bricky for 4 years, a wife, house, 2 dogs and a cat by then.
:lol:

Also his name is Norman. It’s not possible to be named Norman and not automatically be a fully fledged adult

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
:lol:

Also his name is Norman. It’s not possible to be named Norman and not automatically be a fully fledged adult
Feck off, younglings. His FA cup goal is one of my formative childhood memories!

Mike Smalling

A couple of those moments reminded me of Shaw. But in general it's impossible to say anything about the kid based on a short compilation from a youth team game. Would be cool to see him get a runout in the first team soon, if he's ready.

khoazany

Probably the closest to first team readiness among our talented first year U18s bunch (that includes Lacey, J.Fletcher, Fritzegald etc)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
On the subject of Fergie and playing very young kids, probably worth mentioning Darren Fletcher. Apparently Fergie wanted to play Fletch when he was only 15 years old but this was blocked by the PL.

That was a dead rubber game, where the league was already won, mind you.

Man, those were the days :(

Mike Smalling

On the subject of Fergie and playing very young kids, probably worth mentioning Darren Fletcher. Apparently Fergie wanted to play Fletch when he was only 15 years old but this was blocked by the PL.

That was a dead rubber game, where the league was already won, mind you.

Man, those were the days :(
Never knew that. It's kind of weird that he then didn't go on to make his debut until he was 19 years old.

lysglimt

Scout
Injuries and lifestyle.
Lifestyle didn't help but with Whiteside it was the injuries that ruined him - he had 2-3 operations in his right knee. As I recall from Fergusons biography - he already had an operation before joining United which had taken away some of his pace. Apparently Whiteside won the 100 meter sprint or something at his school but lost a bit of pace due to the first injury (the pace was what Ferguson said separated him from having potential to be world-class)

But already at 21-22 the knee was cuasing problems

Bondi77

Lifestyle didn't help but with Whiteside it was the injuries that ruined him - he had 2-3 operations in his right knee. As I recall from Fergusons biography - he already had an operation before joining United which had taken away some of his pace. Apparently Whiteside won the 100 meter sprint or something at his school but lost a bit of pace due to the first injury (the pace was what Ferguson said separated him from having potential to be world-class)

But already at 21-22 the knee was cuasing problems
He was too slow to play as a striker and that was when he was moved into midfield where he formed a reputation as a bit of a hard man and could pick a pass.

GueRed

Never knew that. It's kind of weird that he then didn't go on to make his debut until he was 19 years old.
Injuries.

He broke his foot in Summer 2000 which he ended up re-fracturing after rushing back several times.

He ended up not playing any football for 18-20 months.

Frustrating for the fans as they wanted to see what the hype was about (he previously did well in the reserves for a few games at 16, got into the matchday squad at Villa etc)...even more frustrating for him.

Last edited:

Borninthe80ts

I’m not normally one who uses size or physicality to define a player but it’s the only thing stopping him having played already I think. Especially with the injury crisis. Tactically and technically ready. Defensive positioning and experience are the only things he lacks really.

Ekeke

I’m not normally one who uses size or physicality to define a player but it’s the only thing stopping him having played already I think. Especially with the injury crisis. Tactically and technically ready. Defensive positioning and experience are the only things he lacks really.
Well that and you might not want a 17 year old to get the kind of blame and unfair comments our fullbacks like Dalot and AWB get. On the ball and going forward I think he'll do well. The rest we'll see if he comes on at leftback, or if he might come on in a more attacking role wih less pressure

Borninthe80ts

Well that and you might not want a 17 year old to get the kind of blame and unfair comments our fullbacks like Dalot and AWB get. On the ball and going forward I think he'll do well. The rest we'll see if he comes on at leftback, or if he might come on in a more attacking role wih less pressure
My bad on the late reply
I fully agree it unfortunate that he would be liable to get negative comments and social media trash amongst other things but I think the manager looks past this at times. Part of the game now and almost sink or swim with some potential top talents.
On playing further forward that might be a good introduction, highlighting his attacking attributes and less pressure as you say in areas of critical actions.

Ekeke

My bad on the late reply
I fully agree it unfortunate that he would be liable to get negative comments and social media trash amongst other things but I think the manager looks past this at times. Part of the game now and almost sink or swim with some potential top talents.
On playing further forward that might be a good introduction, highlighting his attacking attributes and less pressure as you say in areas of critical actions.
He'll have to face it like any professional will but at 18 you're expected to handle some of these adult things progressively so they might want to hold off on putting him in when our defenders and goalkeeper are overworked and it wouldnt be unexpected that in his first few games he might make a mistake or two.

The manager will know better if he has the character that he'd be unfazed by that and if the concentration levels are there and hes unlikely to make that kind of mistake. Or he might just be positive and gamble regardless and just hope it doesnt happen... Safest bet would probably be to have him in midfield with someone behind him at leftback for the first game or two

Borninthe80ts

He'll have to face it like any professional will but at 18 you're expected to handle some of these adult things progressively so they might want to hold off on putting him in when our defenders and goalkeeper are overworked and it wouldnt be unexpected that in his first few games he might make a mistake or two.

The manager will know better if he has the character that he'd be unfazed by that and if the concentration levels are there and hes unlikely to make that kind of mistake. Or he might just be positive and gamble regardless and just hope it doesnt happen... Safest bet would probably be to have him in midfield with someone behind him at leftback for the first game or two
Yeah there’s fully sense and logic in holding him back in our current situation as there’s so much drama and negativity that he will inevitably get caught up in it. The ideal situation as is with most youth is to see them come on whe we’re winning comfortable and ease the progress.

Your right also that we have to let the manager judged as cautious or excited as we may be. They see them everyday and have the real. Regardless of how the team has played I have been Impressed with the managers integration of youth though. Trusts them which helps.