Harry Amass | Signs professional contract

BuzzKillington

Can you imagine throwing a raw 16 year old in front of one of the best right wingers the premier league has seen. We’re a meme of a club recently, but this would be a new low. I’d genuinely feel for the lad if this happens.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I mean, there’s no-one else.

Assuming Dalot, Maguire, Kambwala & AWB all start we don’t have any other fit senior defenders. Wouldn’t be hugely surprised if he’s on the bench.
Good forward thinking Ten Hag.

When they score the seventh, sub Amass on to take Salah out across the knees, take the red card and walk off to a standing ovation à la Amad

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Can you imagine throwing a raw 16 year old in front of one of the best right wingers the premier league has seen. We’re a meme of a club recently, but this would be a new low. I’d genuinely feel for the lad if this happens.
Name checks out. This club is built on trusting youth.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I get that. But this would be a step too far.
Well hes actually 17 for one, he'll likely be on the bench (because we have an injury crisis) and hes the same age as Shaw when Shaw played a full season in the league for Southampton

Gordon S

I get that. But this would be a step too far.
He is probably gonna stay on the bench all game, but he is 17 and been one of the standouts in one of our strongest u18 sides in a long time. Just be glad that we are seeing more big talents emerging behind Garnacho and Mainoo.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Imagine he retires him

BuzzKillington

Why would putting a talented 17 year old defender on the bench when the team has a defensive injury crisis be wrong?

Wouldn‘t having no FB cover be the wrong thing to do?
For any of the next few games yes stick him in, for this one just play Amrabat or literally anybody else there.

If he does play, I hope it goes well for him. I don’t want to automatically assume we’re going to lose today, but there’s been an absolute pumping in the pipeline for us for weeks now with the amount of shots we’re giving up. I don’t want a potentially very promising young players first game for us to be that game. Especially as the focal point for the dippers is the area of the pitch he’d be responsible for.

Bertie Wooster

Delighted for him if he makes the match day squad. Good reward for great performances with our U18's this season. Though a key part of that is U18's of course. A huge step up to first team level, especially if his debut turns out to be against Liverpool. A moment he'll never forget if it happens - hopefully for the right reasons!

Whether he gets many minutes between now and the end of the season, he's definitely one who has the potential to make it here so we should be looking to integrate him into the first team squad at some point, whenever it's deemed that he's ready. Now feels a little too soon, but hopefully he'll step up if needed.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
This isn't the right sport for you mate. Genuine advice

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
This isn't the right sport for you mate. Genuine advice
What a weird thing to say. Why is it wrong to want to protect a youngster from getting mauled by a world class player for his debut?

I've no issue with the lad being on the bench but Wan Bissaka has to start on the left, he's done a number on Salah before as well.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I actually can’t think of a worse opponent for Amass to potentially get his debut against than Salah

bond19821982

It's actually a pretty obvious and sensible statement. Not sure what your issue with it is.
What a weird thing to say. Why is it wrong to want to protect a youngster from getting mauled by a world class player for his debut?

I've no issue with the lad being on the bench but Wan Bissaka has to start on the left, he's done a number on Salah before as well.
Really ? Then that statement is applicable for all of you as well. A club who is known for its academy , who has won PL with kids, who always had an academy graduate in the squad, who always takes pride in promoting youngsters- how is it a meme by giving a highly rated kid a spot in MD squad?

Other scenario is, you guys have no idea what happened pre 2013. In that case, I apologize.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Really ? Then that statement is applicable for all of you as well. A club who is known for its academy , who has won PL with kids, who always had an academy graduate in the squad, who always takes pride in promoting youngsters- how is it a meme by giving a highly rated kid a spot in MD squad?

Other scenario is, you guys have no idea what happened pre 2013. In that case, I apologize.
If I'm not mistaken @BuzzKillington didn't mention anything about matchday squad. He made a very reasonable comment about throwing him in to play against one of the best right wingers in the PL history. The meme part was unnecessary, I'll give you that.

You can talk about history all you want but Sir Alex for starters was very careful about who to throw in, when and under which circumstances to do that.

Your post (posts actually, the last line in the one above this one as pathetic) was condescending as feck, no need for that.

Last edited:

BuzzKillington

If I'm not mistaken @BuzzKillington didn't mention anything about matchday squad. He made a very reasonable comment about throwing him in to play against one of the best right wingers in the PL history. The meme part was unnecessary, I'll give you that.

You can talk about history all you want but Sir Alex for starters was very careful about who to throw in, when and under which circumstances to do that.

Your post (posts actually, the last line in the one above this one as pathetic) was condescending as feck, no need for that.
Luckily he’s just in the squad, I’ve got no issues with him getting some minutes at the end, it would be a good thing if the situation allows it. My fear of him being thrown in from the start hasn’t materialised. Just need to hope we don’t pick up any early injuries.

Bertie Wooster

Luckily he’s just in the squad, I’ve got no issues with him getting some minutes at the end, it would be a good thing if the situation allows it. My fear of him being thrown in from the start hasn’t materialised. Just need to hope we don’t pick up any early injuries.
Unless there was a late injury to Dalot or AWB, I don't think there was a real fear of him starting. It's just that we're down to 3 (plus Kambwala) first team defenders and so we needed kids for the bench.

As you say, the big fear is / was always any early injuries to our starting defenders.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
With AWB and Dalot fit, he was never going to start….

I probably hope he doesn’t get minutes as that would (injuries aside) mean one side is 2/3 up… and unfortunately that’s less likely to be us, given form.

top1whoisman

Scout
That's more than reasonable. The lack of protection our defense currently gets from our midfield and one winger would leave him exposed and play 1-on-1 against Salah. Sure he could do well but more than likely would struggle a lot. Just like our more experienced defenders do. You've got to be smart with the inclusion of young players. Do it under wrong circumstances and their confidence could take a huge hit. Losing today and Amass making a couple of mistakes and the social media would be all over him.

top1whoisman

Scout
Anyway super happy for the lad, he's been very good since joining us and has definitely deserved this.

bond19821982

Sorry - there was no mention of him starting anywhere . The news was just about him being included in the MD squad . The poster assumed it as him starting and used the opportunity to call the club as meme. That's gross overreaction to me.
Point is Simple - If you have a point please stop at saying it would be completely wrong to start him against Salah. If you overreact, expect a similar response.

Glad that you agree on the Meme part.

BuzzKillington

That's more than reasonable. The lack of protection our defense currently gets from our midfield and one winger would leave him exposed and play 1-on-1 against Salah. Sure he could do well but more than likely would struggle a lot. Just like our more experienced defenders do. You've got to be smart with the inclusion of young players. Do it under wrong circumstances and their confidence could take a huge hit. Losing today and Amass making a couple of mistakes and the social media would be all over him.
Agreed, a few other posters have rightly said it’s United DNA to blood youngsters, but we’ve generally done that successfully when being cautious with how to use them. You can get away with throwing in a raw kid somewhere up front with much less risk than you can with a young defender. Defenders need to be able eased in slowly.

That being said, I’m hoping we can get a look at him in the upcoming games. Some cameos against the weaker opposition we have coming up after today would be decent.

top1whoisman

Scout
Agreed, a few other posters have rightly said it’s United DNA to blood youngsters, but we’ve generally done that successfully when being cautious with how to use them. You can get away with throwing in a raw kid somewhere up front with much less risk than you can with a young defender. Defenders need to be able eased in slowly.

That being said, I’m hoping we can get a look at him in the upcoming games. Some cameos against the weaker opposition we have coming up after today would be decent.
Yeah, especially as the rest of our league games seem a bit, well pointless. If we're still struggling with injuries later this month, the home games against Sheff Utd and Burnley could be more ideal for his debut than today. Probably still wouldn't start him but if the options are Amrabat, Antony of Lindelöf at LB, I'd be tempted.

Strachan8

35 years ago Fergie’s fledlings beat liverpool 3-1. It would cost Liverpool the title. Blood Amass and the other kids today. They will be fearless as senior players have shown they can‘t be trusted and don’t have the required energy levels to last the full game.

lex talionis

Mo Salah is one of the greatest players in PL history and is still near peak. Asking any player to make his PL debut against such a player would be mad.

Bertie Wooster

Yeah, especially as the rest of our league games seem a bit, well pointless. If we're still struggling with injuries later this month, the home games against Sheff Utd and Burnley could be more ideal for his debut than today. Probably still wouldn't start him but if the options are Amrabat, Antony of Lindelöf at LB, I'd be tempted.
I wouldn't say pointless, though obviously the CL chances are gone.

But with Newcastle and West Ham breathing down our necks, then we've still got a fight even to be in Europe next year (which, as it would be the EL or Conference League, would create more opportunities for kids like Amass to get some game time).

top1whoisman

Scout
I wouldn't say pointless, though obviously the CL chances are gone.

But with Newcastle and West Ham breathing down our necks, then we've still got a fight even to be in Europe next year (which, as it would be the EL or Conference League, would create more opportunities for kids like Amass to get some game time).
Yeah perhaps that was a bit over the top.

TwoSheds

Was it John O'Kane where Fergie felt he'd ruined his confidence by playing him before he was ready? Your memory must not be so great old timer.

bond19821982

Was it John O'Kane where Fergie felt he'd ruined his confidence by playing him before he was ready? Your memory must not be so great old timer.
Ok, out of numerous examples you come up with one and claim that's the norm rather than an exception. Fine !

TwoSheds

Ok, out of numerous examples you come up with one and claim that's the norm rather than an exception. Fine !
Go on, give me the numerous examples of where Fergie threw in a teenage defender against a world class attacker for his first team debut?

Marwood

We've never won a premier league with "kids."

Class of 92 were twenty when they won their first league. Young but not 17 like Amass. That's a big difference.

They were also surrounded by top senior players.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We've never won a premier league with "kids."

Class of 92 were twenty when they won their first league. Young but not 17 like Amass. That's a big difference.

They were also surrounded by top senior players.
When did Fergie ever start a 17 year old in a big match like yesterday? Or in any match, ever? I can’t think of an example. Macheda was 18 when he got his debut, right?

Strachan8

When did Fergie ever start a 17 year old in a big match like yesterday? Or in any match, ever? I can’t think of an example. Macheda was 18 when he got his debut, right?

Easy. Lee Sharpe v Liverpool 1/1/89 a game Utd won 3-1. He did it countless times in his managerial career.

Marwood

Yeah 18 I think.

And even then he'd at least played U21 football, was a forward and was a sub chucked on in a desperate situation.

I think you have to be careful with young lads now in terms of them getting carried away. Even if he's physically ready at 17, do we want to risk a lad getting a taste of the big time so young?From a mentality perspective.

I'd imagine once a player makes his debut at that age all sorts starts to happen. The agent will want a new improved contract on big money, sponsors get involved, they start getting recognised on the street.

Think you want to delay all that until they're absolutely ready and needed.